lonhart
May 17 2005, 02:48 AM
803.06 "C. Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a competitively thrown disc or in the process of identification, shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by any two players or an official."

Can someone define what the "process of identification" entails? It is not in the glossary and my search for that string in the rules was a blank. Is it identifying a disc's owner?

gnduke
May 17 2005, 03:08 AM
Yes that refers to the act of looking at the disc to identify it. Ofter that requires lifting the disc to read the name or mark on the bottom. Your disc must be positively identified before the next shot can be taken.

lonhart
May 17 2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks!

neonnoodle
May 17 2005, 04:31 PM
What if the disc is around 1.99 meters above the playing surface? I move it to identify it and it is not mine. What's the ruling? :p

gnduke
May 17 2005, 04:48 PM
If it is below 2m when the player that threw it gets to it, it's below 2m. If it is above 2m when the thrower gets to it and you have touched it, it's still below 2m.

Unless you get an official ruling on it's 2m status before you touch it. Then someone has to pass along the determination to the thrower.

neonnoodle
May 17 2005, 05:07 PM
If it is below 2m when the player that threw it gets to it, it's below 2m. If it is above 2m when the thrower gets to it and you have touched it, it's still below 2m.

Unless you get an official ruling on it's 2m status before you touch it. Then someone has to pass along the determination to the thrower.

Great! I'll get someone else to identify my disc from now on if it is anywhere near above 2 meters... ;)

gnduke
May 17 2005, 07:57 PM
I would gladly identify your disc, but would be sure to gather enough players to determine it's 2m and request that it be marked before I touch it. If it is my own disc and it may be below 2m, but I touch it before the 2m status it determined, it will be considered above 2m.

803.07.D

neonnoodle
May 17 2005, 09:46 PM
Do you think all players I ask will be so careful?

gnduke
May 18 2005, 02:58 AM
Do you think all players you'd ask have read the rule book ?

Do you think all of those players that did read the rule book remembered what they read ?

I don't, so I would think that at least 70% of the golfers you'd ask would not be very careful the first time. :cool: