May 16 2005, 01:40 AM
So here is the deal. I have been playing an amazing amount of disc golf since about February, the weather has been great. I have been playing about 5 or 6 rounds, of 9, per day along with driving and putting. A week ago I moved out of my college dorm room, and I made about 20 trips with stuff from my 4th floor room. The next day I played a tournament and ended up playing 7 rounds of 9 throughout the whole day. When I was done, my shoulder hurt pretty bad. And it has only gotten worse. I just played a tournament yesterday, only 5 rounds, and my shoulder just throbbed in pain. The pain is more or less making a vertical ring around my shoulder, through the armpit and top of shoulder. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It's probably just over use, and moving didn't help. Just let me know if anyone else has this problem and any ways to solve it, other than just taking a break. Hopefully it isn't anything too seriously.

Thanks

May 16 2005, 03:12 AM
Love the sport, eh? Want to play it as long as you can? Take a break. Make a doctor appointment if the pain doesnt go away after not playing. When you do go back, throw easy for a while, till your sure everything is workin right. You could do serious permanent damage and never be able to reach your potential. Hurt my sidearm and Tomahawk and am still hoping they will come back! Take care, dude!

Parkntwoputt
May 16 2005, 09:49 AM
Love the sport, eh? Want to play it as long as you can? Take a break. Make a doctor appointment if the pain doesnt go away after not playing. When you do go back, throw easy for a while, till your sure everything is workin right. You could do serious permanent damage and never be able to reach your potential. Hurt my sidearm and Tomahawk and am still hoping they will come back! Take care, dude!

Good advice, repeat. It worked for me, I had to take two weeks off from anything. It took me 3 days to get my putt back. But 17 days of scarifice for a lifetime of golf is worth it.

Alacrity
May 16 2005, 09:21 PM
I will second the earlier advice and let you know about a few other complications. If you continue to throw with a hurt shoulder you could develop a condition called shoulder encapsulitis. This will result in a condition where you can't lift your arm above your head. You can also cause damage that will affect you when you are an OMB like me.

If you continue to play with a hurt shoulder just remember the surgery will stop you from playing. If you absolutely cannot quit then throw for two months with your alternate arm. This will make you a better golfer. :D (the look I get from my pain pills)

So here is the deal. I have been playing an amazing amount of disc golf since about February, the weather has been great. I have been playing about 5 or 6 rounds, of 9, per day along with driving and putting. A week ago I moved out of my college dorm room, and I made about 20 trips with stuff from my 4th floor room. The next day I played a tournament and ended up playing 7 rounds of 9 throughout the whole day. When I was done, my shoulder hurt pretty bad. And it has only gotten worse. I just played a tournament yesterday, only 5 rounds, and my shoulder just throbbed in pain. The pain is more or less making a vertical ring around my shoulder, through the armpit and top of shoulder. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It's probably just over use, and moving didn't help. Just let me know if anyone else has this problem and any ways to solve it, other than just taking a break. Hopefully it isn't anything too seriously.

Thanks

May 17 2005, 02:40 AM
Alright...you guys have convinced me. I plan on talking a little over 2 weeks off. There is a tournament on June 4, so I will start back the Wednesday before, putting and driving a little. Hopefully nothing bad will happen, because I can't imagine not being able to ever play disc golf again. Thanks guys.

May 17 2005, 02:44 AM
Do what the other guy said and play lefty. Great way to learn proper mechanics.
I started throwing lefty about 3 weeks after i started playing and it helped me learn my x-step and pullback for my regular righty throw.
Mitch sonderfan threw lefty sometimes when we would play some casual rounds and his form was much more textbook lefty than his normal form(Not dissing my boy especially because he's a pro and i'm a horrible advanced player).

-Scott Lewis

May 17 2005, 06:30 AM
One thing to remember is to stretch before each round. Stretch until you can't stretch any more, and then proceed to stretch again. As far as getting rid of the pain you already have, an NSAID such as Advil (Ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxen) will produce a more superior result than Tylenol (Acetaminophen) because these NSAIDs are anti-inflammatory drugs as opposed to Tylenol, which is simply an analgesic.

discgolfreview
May 17 2005, 07:33 AM
i will second (or third or fourth or whatever) the "rest" and "go see a doctor" ideas. as for stretching, i agree with that as well, but make sure you finish your stretching pre-round as further stretching after you have begun play can actually further damage muscle fibers.

a last idea, is to make sure you get a good pivot during your follow through. there are 3 basic ways people continue through the shot, one of which requires a very large amount of torso flexibility and i won't really go there. out of the other two, you have a "pivot and step through" (basically, continue to spin on your right foot and let your left leg continue through) and a "stop and hop" (which you often see when people's arms come to an abrupt halt and they spring off of their foot without letting it pivot and hopefully before their knee torques).

the follow through pivot (not to be confused with the extension pivot) begins when your arm cannot continue to move given your flexibility (this varies from individual to individual from just beyond your chest to almost pointing to the left). allowing for a clean pivot on the ball of your foot and a (slightly) bent knee will ensure that there is as little "abrupt stop" strain on your throwing shoulder as possible. if your current throw forces an abrupt stop of your arm during your follow through, i highly suggest switching to a method that will eliminate this even after your shoulder has healed.

May 17 2005, 08:32 AM
use your left hand

May 19 2005, 02:39 AM
If you use your left hand, does it feel like somebody else is doing it?

bruce_brakel
May 19 2005, 03:08 AM
If you use your left hand, does it feel like somebody else is doing it?

Is this a double entendre or a question? I've been throwing discs lefty since October due to injuries to both my throwing arm and my knee. It still feels like someone else is doing it, but he is starting to get better at it. [I call him "Brice."] Brice threw a drive at Firefighters today from 12 tee to parked next to 17 basket. What is that? 360 feet? I'm looking forward to walking a couple of rounds with Brice at IOS#2 in the OMB division!