May 10 2005, 05:30 PM
B.If a disc has come to rest above two meters, as measured from the lowest point of the disc to the playing surface directly below it, the player shall be assessed a one-throw penalty. This penalty applies only if the disc is above in-bounds. The player shall proceed from a lie marked in accordance with 803.07 A.

I thought that I read somewhere that this rule had been done away with? Is that not the case, because this was taken straight fromt he rules on this website.

ck34
May 10 2005, 05:45 PM
The rule is still in force this year. However, TDs can inform players that it's not in effect on their whole course or certain holes.

May 10 2005, 05:49 PM
Is or was there a plan to do way with this rule? I think I read something about it in Disc Golf Magazine. I will have to look for that issue and try to figure out what they where talking about. I must have misread it. Or maybe the part about the TD being able to decide if they want to use the rule is new?

gnduke
May 10 2005, 05:50 PM
More clarification as I understand it, TDs are not allowed to implement rules in a sanctioned tournament that are against PDGA rules. The Competition director has given a blanket exemption to all TDs that wish to not use this rule for their events without asking for an exemption or X-tier status this year.

ck34
May 10 2005, 06:20 PM
If things progress as originally approved by the Board, the rule will become optional in the new rulebook for 2006 where TDs can use it on a hole or two or the whole course similar to how the OB areas are defined by the TD today.

May 11 2005, 12:33 AM
From what I gather, the PDGA Rules Committee recommended the 2 meter rule be eliminated and the Board voted to eliminate it, but not until the printing of a new rules book -- which won't be till 2006. For 2005 the 2 meter remains the default rule due to it being present in the printed versions of the Rule Book, but TD's can declare the 2 meter rule NOT in effect if they so choose -- for a whole course or for particular holes.

In 2006 a new Rule Book will be out and the 2 meter rule will be in the glossary. TD's will be able to declare it in effect if they so choose -- but the default scenario will be no 2 meter rule. If a disc is suspended above 2 meters it will treated just like we presently treat discs suspended 1.9 meters (no penalty).

There was a PDGA radio segment and a Disc Golf magazine article declaring the 2 meter rule dead, but that was based on the Rules Committee decision and was prior to the Board voting to delay the elimination until 2006 when a new rule book can be printed.

May 12 2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the response. I was starting to think that I was just totally nuts. So what does everyone think about the elimination of this rule? I don't really like or understand the change personally. Hasn't this been a rule since the benininng of organized disc golf?

bruce_brakel
May 12 2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the response. I was starting to think that I was just totally nuts. So what does everyone think about the elimination of this rule? I don't really like or understand the change personally. Hasn't this been a rule since the benininng of organized disc golf?

Strangely, there has been absolutely no discussion of this topic! :D

gnduke
May 12 2005, 12:27 PM
Strangely, sarcasm just doesn't work very well on a message board.

Lyle O Ross
May 12 2005, 12:51 PM
Strangely, sarcasm just doesn't work very well on a message board.

Perhaps with a smirk...

May 12 2005, 02:59 PM

Strangely, there has been absolutely no discussion of this topic! :D

:eek: :D :D:p

look here (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=323130&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1) and you'll find links to more DISCussions about it than you may have wished for :D

neonnoodle
May 13 2005, 11:42 AM
Heads up: You must be a registered user of this discussion board to view that link...

May 16 2005, 01:45 PM
Okay, well then look here: 2 meter rule question (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=257783&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1)

btw, I was playing the Cincinnati course challenge event at Oxford yesterday and was discussing the 2 meter rule during the lunch break with someone who has been playing disc golf since it started. He said he never understood why they changed it from 3 to 2 meters and that while he'd prefer the rule go back to 3 meters, he'd rather have no rule than it be set at 2 meters.

I realized that while I favor elimination of the 2 meter rule and look forward to next year when the present transition year for elimination of the rule is over -- I wouldn't care so much to see it gone if it were a 3 meter rule... :D

gnduke
May 16 2005, 02:14 PM
3 meters ?

If you can reach it with a 10 foot pole it must be good ?

May 16 2005, 02:33 PM
or -- if you can't touch it with a 10 foot pole it must be penalized. :D

i think the rationale was that above 3 meters is unreachable.
at any rate, eliminating the 2 meter rule sounds good to me.

hit all the trees you like -- but isn't avoiding obstacles preferable?

neonnoodle
May 16 2005, 03:14 PM
Reach smeach. Mark it and play on.