May 07 2005, 12:57 AM
Ive got a 172 gram and find it way overstable (like a fast Firebird) but have only thrown it into moderate winds (where it performed well) Dont try this with your pro SF.

May 07 2005, 12:58 AM
I cant believe i did it again!

Moderator005
May 07 2005, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the warning. I'm really digging the flight path on my Pro Starfires and would be upset to pay $$$ for a new (2nd mold) CFR STARFIRE only to find out that it is way overstable.

This kind of reminds me of when the CFR Archangels came out and they flew nothing like DX Archangels.

Plankeye
May 07 2005, 08:44 AM
The Pro Starfire is a different mold than the 2nd Run Starfire. I think I saw dave say that the pro starfires are the "l" version of the disc.

If you want a disc that is similar to the pro starfire, get a first run starfire.

The second run starfires are my go to long range driver.

michaeljo
May 08 2005, 12:13 AM
i presonally love the CFR starfire(2nd mold) it is by far my main driver. for my throwing style it has a very consistent flight pattern and allows me to recreate shot after shot
MJ

jjmackey
May 09 2005, 05:26 PM
I think the Pro Starfire is a whole different Beast (pun intended) compared to the CFR Molds. The first CFR is suppose to be the most overstable and the 2nd I believe is the same mold as the Pro but the pro domes up more making it more reactive to wind and also has more glide. I've had a first run CFR for over a half a year and I got a Pro Star fire 3 days ago. The CFR can still fight the wind descent and the Pro just digs itself a grave. I like the pro just like the beast. Down wind or no wind.
btw the QK that I have throws more over stable than the Pro Star Fire. QK for me flies like a Champ TeeBird +50-75 ft. :cool:

Plankeye
May 09 2005, 05:44 PM
the second run is more overstable.

Innova retooled it because people were asking for it to be more overstable.

May 10 2005, 03:11 AM
Yes,
Dave D says they have just ran the SL (pro starfire mold) in candy and to me, that sounds dandy!

Parkntwoputt
May 10 2005, 11:42 AM
I have two starfires, but I cannot tell which runs they are. They are both different, and nothing like anything else.

The first one I have is a lot more stable then an Orc, but goes just as far, it hold a good head wind, but will flip in a 35mph headwind. The edge has a curve to it, where it feels similar but not exactly the same as a teebird.

The other one is slighltly less stable, but still more stable then an Orc. But the edge feels similar to a Beast. This one had a Texas Teams 2004 stamp on it, if that helps.

Can anyone tell which runs these are?

Thanks

May 10 2005, 01:12 PM
the 2004 is the "1st" mold (ive heard the original mold had been SLIGHTLY modified a bit but hardly noticable. And the other is the newest (2nd) mold. Interesting, tho, that you named this one as the "1st one you have" Did you buy it 1st?Is there a year stamp on it? It would have to be pretty new. (very late last year, to now). How do you like em?

Plankeye
May 10 2005, 01:43 PM
You have to be careful about that though...late 2004 Starfires are the second run. The USDGC starfires are 2nd run.

Plankeye
May 10 2005, 01:45 PM
And yes..it is hard to tell the difference between the two.

May 10 2005, 02:30 PM
Its true. But if you can tell the diff bet "T" teebirds and TL's buy doing the finger rub on the rim, it becomes easy as its the same feeling.

May 10 2005, 02:31 PM
Do u like the 1st, 2nd runs. How do you throw them and for what shots?

Parkntwoputt
May 10 2005, 02:36 PM
Its true. But if you can tell the diff bet "T" teebirds and TL's buy doing the finger rub on the rim, it becomes easy as its the same feeling.

Yes the difference is the same in the rim between the TL and Teebird T.

The first one, I purchased first as a CFR disc for a tournament this April. The other one was given to me 2 weeks later while in Texas.

I like both of them, I have noticed "the first one" the non texas one, has a considerable amount of lift when going into a head wind, and if I do not get the nose perfectly flat the disc will rise up about 20ft higher then I wanted. I currently have the non texas disc in my bag.

Plankeye
May 10 2005, 02:39 PM
I had some first runs but I got them stuck up into trees at a private course and they haven't come down yet. The shot that got them stuck into trees were thumbers. Otherwise I used them as my open hole driver and long spike hyzer shots.

My second run Starfires are my long range hyzer and flat shots. I will throw them on open and wooded holes.

Right now i only have 3 drivers in my bag....Starfires for left turns, Valks for straight, and sidewinders for right turns.

May 10 2005, 02:46 PM
Thats what ive been doing. Ive also been hyser flipping my pro's for mad, open D. have you thrown 2nd molds into HEAVY headwinds? Iv only thrown in 15-20mph where there doing well with a nice S. Im thinking that heavy headwinds still will belong to my firebirds, but havent tested yet.

Plankeye
May 10 2005, 03:33 PM
I have not had a chance to throw it in a heavy headwind yet. But I can go ahead and tell you that the starfire will go farther than your Firechicken will.

I had a pro starfire and I was using it as a nice s-curve flight on long open holes, but after hitting a few trees, it won't come out of the turnover, so I sold it for $5. I have 2 new Zonedriven Pro Starfires that I will only throw on open holes this summer.

jjmackey
May 11 2005, 11:33 AM
I need to find some of these 2nd molds. I really like my first run after I played with it awhile. Sounds like the 2nd Mold would be perfect right out of the box. As far as the Pro Starfire, this disc was a dissapointment. After a few errant throws it turned into understable, right turning, sidewinderesque disc.

Plankeye
May 11 2005, 11:37 AM
I have a couple new 2nd Run Starfires...

$25 with free shipping.

2 of them are at 172g and I think the other is 174g

Moderator005
May 11 2005, 12:09 PM
As far as the Pro Starfire, this disc was a dissapointment. After a few errant throws it turned into understable, right turning, sidewinderesque disc.

I think this depends on the disc weight and ability/power of the thrower. People that already throw long distances will likely overpower the Pro Starfire, while others may be able to reach new distances with it that they could never achieve previously.

Lyle O Ross
May 11 2005, 12:47 PM
I agree,

I think for monster throwers this disc will be a waste of time but for good (320 to 360 foot max) throwers, this disc might be a boon. I typically average about 360 with my farthest throws coming in at 390. I've already thrown this disc over 400 feet several times (405 to 415). It works for me.

May 12 2005, 04:59 AM
I max out at 350 or so and only throw 167-168g starfires but with that caveat, it's the one disc in my bag I can throw flat with as much crank as my gm arm can muster, and have it S out just like the real discgolfers throw. Tbirds turn over and eagles and orcs hyser for me if thrown flat after a bowl of wheaties.

May 23 2005, 05:01 PM
I have a pearlescent white starfire that throws like a max wt. monster. It is 170g and has a wrightwood show down 2004 stamp on it

I can't get any distance out of this disc.

What mold could it be?

May 23 2005, 05:18 PM
Prolly 2nd. sf's r my fave, and I've found that the 2nd. runs r more stable than the 1st.- Also, try relesing the disc as flat as u can, i am able to put them on most any line I want, as stable as they are if I throw w/ annie it will hold, even into a headwind they don't bite like the pros do. I love my sf's! :cool: