May 05 2005, 01:46 AM
Thanks

May 05 2005, 01:52 AM
I've never heard that one, so yeah, what is it?

ck34
May 05 2005, 02:03 AM
If you've watched horseshoe pitching, you'll get the idea for the motion. The player actually takes a decent sized stride up to behind the mark during release. The way I've seen it, the disc trajectory looks similar to an arcing straddle putt where the disc is pretty level when it comes out of the hand with not a lot of spin. Around here, it's also been called a 6-shooter, kind of like drawing a gun out of a holster.

discgolfreview
May 05 2005, 02:25 AM
there's modern working definitions and traditional technical definitions of most putting forms. the traditional technical definitions usually refer to the dubbed technique name, whereas the modern working definitions generally are based upon the action used to propel the putt.

i think the modern "pitch putt" was traditionally defined as a "loft putt" (similarly, most people don't refer to this form as a loft putt unless someone gets substantial height above the basket and putts nose down). i'm going to guess this is the technique you are wondering about, but i could be wrong.
pictures of the loft putt/modern pitch putt:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/davefeldberg2.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/chrissprague2.shtml
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/averyjenkins4.shtml

i'm not old school enough to know if Chuck's definition is correct, but i am guessing it is :) i've also heard that style called a horseshoe putt, as the disc is pulled along the side of your body. the 1993 pdga worlds video has a clip of stokely putting that way.

May 05 2005, 02:38 AM
As always, thanks, guys

cbdiscpimp
May 05 2005, 11:15 AM
When I think of what Chuck explained I think of HORSESHOE PUTT and when I think of Pitch Putt I think of how Climo and Barry and Feldberg and Jenkins and Hammock and Schweby and all those guys putt.

I like to compared the PITCH PUTT to tossing a text book onto a table or a desk when you get home from school. You release it flat with not alot of spin so it softly lands and slides on the table. I do pretty much the exact same thing with my putter but I try and get it to hit the chains. Since Feldberg and Jenkins taught me this putt my game has improved 10 fold. Before they taught me I had NEVER won a tournament before in my life. The weekend after they taught me I wont The Memorial SuperTour in the Advanced division and I have been pretty much 70 percent from inside the circle ever since. Now all I have to do is get to the point where my DRIVES will be in the circle 70 percent of the time and Ill be ready to move up :D

I suggest learning the Pitch Putt because you get alot more off center putts to fall because it has less spin and if you miss your never really more then 10 ft away unless you get a terrible roll.

If you want to know what the Pitch Putt looks like just watch the Videos of Climo putting at USDGC on the USDGC website and youll get the idea :D

Good luck and I hope that helped

May 05 2005, 03:07 PM
I think of a "pitch putt" as a flat, but arcing shot, sort of like a basketball free throw. That one also tends to stay close if it "doinks" off the basket, but getting the angle just right can be tough.

May 05 2005, 04:37 PM
I used to putt this way. From 25ft out I would have an arcing flight that would reach 10ft high before dropping with almost no fade. People commented that the disc is actually nose down slightly during the flight, funny. As I have gotten more confident in my putting and added a touch more spin/spring out of my hands I have been lowering the arc. Now, from 20ft it's almost a level flight to the basket. This allows me to have the same motion no matter what the distance all the way out to 30ft. If there is touble to the sides or back of basket I will sometimes revert back and do this kind of a putt as it usually stays close if I miss. Looke sort of like the hyzer putt but the disc is flat, acomplishes the same thing though (to stay close) /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

May 05 2005, 05:49 PM
Maybe somebody (in other words, not me) should work on standardizing putting terms. Maybe at the next Worlds or big NT, get the top 20 pros and 5-10 old farts together and come to a general agreement about what putt is what, come to a 25-word general description, along with some photos like what Blake linked up earlier. Then we IMPOSE OUR WILL and kill any nonbelievers until all controversy is gone :)

May 05 2005, 07:10 PM
Maybe somebody (in other words, not me) should work on standardizing putting terms. Maybe at the next Worlds or big NT, get the top 20 pros and 5-10 old farts together and come to a general agreement about what putt is what, come to a 25-word general description, along with some photos like what Blake linked up earlier. Then we IMPOSE OUR WILL and kill any nonbelievers until all controversy is gone :)

It would be great if you could get this done with overhand shots as well ... Tomahawk, Thumber, Baseball Throw, Pancake, Hammer ... definition seems to depend on where you learned to play DG :confused:

Sorry for thread drift ... back to Pitch Putts.