riverdog
May 04 2005, 12:42 PM
OK, you don't live here and probably haven't played here, but as a theoretic question - Your club has the opportunity to put in a complete new 18 hole course on a piece of county property that has an existing 18 hole course with natural teepads, serviceable dirt with frquently refreshed shavings. It's a good course that has recently had new Discatchers with double chains added on all eighteen holes. The new piece of land is almost entirely wooded, large mature hardwoods, open under canopy, minimum of cutting required, elevation out the old wah-zoo and carte blanche with the design..... OR, do you put club funds and efforts into concrete teepads for the existing course?

I don't think it will bias responses, but to me it seems a "no brainer".

flyboy
May 04 2005, 12:48 PM
Fly Pads would great for the suitation......

bruce_brakel
May 04 2005, 12:53 PM
more baskets. with that argument, you aren't giving improved tees a chance.

dave_marchant
May 04 2005, 12:59 PM
Your club has the opportunity to put in a complete new 18 hole course on a piece of county property

If the door is open, run (don't walk) through it. Government doors don't open too often and they don't stay open too long usually.

If they offer to pay for concrete, jump on that offer too!

gnduke
May 04 2005, 01:04 PM
I would go for additional courses everytime. You can always put time and effort toward getting concrete pads on an existing course. You don't always have the opportunity to add a new course.

A hint on the concrete pads, they don't all have to go in at the same time. Start with the ones that have the biggest erosion problems and work from there. If the positive results for the course are noticable, the parks people may assist later on.

May 04 2005, 01:21 PM
New course, concrete later. It will most likely not be possible the other way around.

johnbiscoe
May 04 2005, 01:51 PM
you're right jamie- it is a no-brainer. concrete pads are over-rated anyway.

Jake L
May 04 2005, 01:53 PM
Jamie, PUT THE NEW COURSE IN. I can't wait to play on that land. **** that course is going to be sweet. Concrete can wait. We've played on natural pads for how long now? It can wait another year.

I'll check this thread in about 10-15 min, and I expect you to tell me Mole has dug 18+ holes, Shane, Brock, Bryant, and Bear have cut fairways, and the baskets are on order. :D

Post work days, I'll drive over and help.

dave_marchant
May 04 2005, 02:05 PM

Wrong. A course is not complete unless it has concrete tees. It is like a tennis court with no fences. You can still play and have a good time, but it takes away from the experience.

May 04 2005, 03:01 PM
Ben knows where I stand...

NEW COURSE!!!

Y'ville is already a special place, as far as disc golf courses are concerned. Another championship course would make the land **** near holy...

I'll come back to NC for the Gold course in Y'ville, but not much else.

NEW COURSE!

NEW COURSE!

NEW COURSE!

Concrete will always be available, that land will not; no doubt about it.

gnduke
May 04 2005, 06:19 PM
Just a side topic. I've been keeping an eye on this product, and plan to get a sample to test, just need a course to try it on. You may be able to afford both.

http://www.polypavement.com/

riverdog
May 04 2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Couldn't believe it would even have to be discussed, much less as vociferously as it has been. Build it, build it, build it........ An incredible 30 acres on which you can literally walk 30 feet and look in the four primary compass directions and see at least three fairways. Walk another thirty feet and do the same thing again and there they are, another three fairways. Awesome place. I'll keep you posted.

Bruce not sure I understand your comment. :confused:

riverdog
May 04 2005, 10:32 PM
Yup, I know what you mean. I actually have a couple of five gallon drums of PennSuppress (a similar product made by PennzOil) sitting in my basement which I will use on my natural tees here on my Ramcat home course. I'll let you know how it works here. With a nominal 2" layer of rock dust I think it would be just the ticket for a public course that gets a lot of traffic.

Rodney Gilmore
May 05 2005, 12:17 AM
Build the new 18. Hold tournaments that will eventually pay for the concrete. You can fit twice the people on 2 courses that you can on 1 and pay for the concrete twice as fast. I saw what you guys can do filling a D tier on one course. If the second course is as good or better than the first (which I have no doubts that you guys are capable of), you guys should have concrete paid for in no time. Besides, most of us have cleats so good natural pads should be fine for now.

May 05 2005, 11:06 AM
New course....no brainer. How often do you get the permission and support of a local municipality to create a course? Throwing off 36 good mulch pads is better than 18 concrete any day. What you guys have done in Yadkinville is awesome. I look forward to see whats in store?

riverdog
May 05 2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks lurker Charlie. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But you don't have a double chin........

Holler at me. I've done some tweaking on Ramcat and have completely changed #17 and #18. To me both are better than any previous holes on the course. Do they give educators Wednesday p.m. off? Got plenty of daylight now though so maybe you could sneak off at 2:45. :D

Tell Barry we said hey.

May 05 2005, 12:56 PM

Wrong. A course is not complete unless it has concrete tees. It is like a tennis court with no fences. You can still play and have a good time, but it takes away from the experience.

Hmmm ... WRONG! Biscoe is right ... concrete tee pads are WAY overrated. Go for the new course!

flyboy
May 05 2005, 01:07 PM
This is why most of our courses are in the shape they are in.18 baskets only make up half of the course.Finish what you have started we know what happens when you do nothing for the tee area.More is not always better now you will have even a bigger job with the tees on 2 courses.Outfit your first course with pro and am tees.Disc golfers only want to play .Lets say you have the first course in and somebody falls and gets injured ,the city is responsible .Or you do nothing for the tees and they start the erosioin process.Finish a course for the family, not the diehard golfer that expects little , gets less, and says nothing about it .... This is the other 90% that says what is disc golf.Fly pads under $2,000 delivered. ;)

riverdog
May 05 2005, 01:26 PM
Appreciate the sentiment Reece, but afraid we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Our county parks director has been very supportive of our efforts from the very begining. He has also been very candid. There will be little to no money forthcoming from county government. We, the club, have paid for everything and done virtually all work involved with our own tools and materials we have purchased or scrounged. If we could afford Flypads we could afford concrete. More to the point, they ain't gonna make any more beautiful land to put at our disposal and someone will be making concrete every day. And Flypads. :p ;) :D

May 05 2005, 02:06 PM
More to the point, they ain't gonna make any more beautiful land to put at our disposal and someone will be making concrete every day. And Flypads. :p ;) :D

I can't believe its even being debated! A free 30 acres, that once taken away can never be replaced...

No brainer, indeed.

NEW COURSE!!!

Peace

May 05 2005, 02:11 PM
I would keep the original course the way it is and put the 18 concrete tee pads in the woods. You can always add fairways and pins later.

bruce_brakel
May 05 2005, 06:40 PM
I was just agreeing with everyone else who would be saying "More baskets," while pointing out in a succinct way that "More baskets," was the only logical choice that flowed from your premises.

If your premises included that the current course looks like a moonscape of holes and ruts for fifty feet in any direction around the tee sign, and that the park district was fed up with the erosion issues, and that the ruts were filled with water and mud for six months of the year, etc., etc., there would be something to discuss.

There is so much demand for park land by other users, when you get 30 good acres offered to you, you have to put other things on the back burner.

riverdog
May 05 2005, 07:26 PM
Thanks Bruce. 'Mos'def on the same page. Always gonna be issues with a tee pad or two in wet weather even with concrete, but no moonscapes or bomb craters. And no erosion related to pads or course.

May 06 2005, 01:46 PM
... no moonscapes or bomb craters.

only when i'm throwing hyzers! :eek: