Apr 26 2005, 10:58 PM
I was messing around with the wind yesterday and putting. As the champ has stated, when it's windy out there, don't pack up the discs and go home, stay out there and practice. (something like that).

Anyhow, my putting style is flat, fast and accurate when there is no wind. If I miss a putt nowadays, it's high or low, rarely left or right thanks to the champs putting tips on his website.

Just add wind and my putting gets scarey. So last night, i discovered that putting into the wind, i just have to keep the nose down a "fuzz" and then walk up and hit my putt as if there was no wind. Easy enough.

My problem is now when the wind is from behind, i tried the opposite and kept the nose up a "fuzz" and tried unsuccessfully over and over to make consistent putts. It seems the wind was just pushing my disc right to the ground. I messed with the heighth of release, but ran out of patience and decided to write to all of you for advice.

What are tricks to severe wind putting. The simpler, the better, as you can see, I tend to over-analyze things a bit.

williethekid
Apr 26 2005, 11:53 PM
Fast and Flat are the keys to wind putting from what im told by local pros. Playing with a pro master today in heavy, heavy, wind that keep the disc flat, lots of spin, and im a little lower with a headwind, and a little higher with tailwind. Change the latter with the amount of wind.

Apr 26 2005, 11:58 PM
keep the nose down with a head wind.

let it ride with a tail wind.

:D

discgolfreview
Apr 27 2005, 12:00 AM
you can generally predict disc behavior and wind just based upon the push forces of the wind onto the exposed faces of the disc.

into the wind: pushes nose down putts into the ground. lifts nose up putts.

left to right crosswind: knocks down hyzer putts. accelerates anhyzer putts.

right to left crosswind: accelerates hyzer putts. knocks down anhyzer putts.

tailwind: makes most putts drop faster. nose up putts will get knocked down. nose down putts will get accelerated in the downward direction but less abruptly.

Chris Hysell
Apr 27 2005, 12:25 AM
I have the flippiest putter out there and canned a few 75 footers today into 20mph headwinds. When it gets windy, don't panic. Just ease up on the putt and float it into the chains.

Apr 27 2005, 10:45 AM
you can generally predict disc behavior and wind just based upon the push forces of the wind onto the exposed faces of the disc.

into the wind: pushes nose down putts into the ground. lifts nose up putts.

left to right crosswind: knocks down hyzer putts. accelerates anhyzer putts.

right to left crosswind: accelerates hyzer putts. knocks down anhyzer putts.

Not if you're a lefty. :)

Apr 27 2005, 10:46 AM
I have the flippiest putter out there and canned a few 75 footers today into 20mph headwinds. When it gets windy, don't panic. Just ease up on the putt and float it into the chains.

What are you still doing on here? I thought you were retired. :p

Chainiac
Apr 27 2005, 11:20 AM
Sorry for the thread drift but I couldn't find anything close by doing a search. Last weekend at a tournament a temp hole was set up on a ski hill. 540' from top (tee) to bottom (basket). There was a 25-35 mph head wind. Faced with this situation what type of disc would you use and why?

Boneman
Apr 27 2005, 11:42 AM
I throw flat 80% of the time, slightly hyser 15%, turbo 4%, and 1% behind my back (just kidding!).
If my Soft Challenger bends when I hold it up to the wind, I switch to a 175 med-soft Wizard, or 174 Crystal Challenger. Neither of these discs will bend to the wind, and both will hit the chains more often in such conditions when thrown flat or slightly hyser.

Alacrity
Apr 27 2005, 03:32 PM
Second run Valk for a driver, super Roc for up shot, if not the second run Valk again and putt with a Rhino.

Sorry for the thread drift but I couldn't find anything close by doing a search. Last weekend at a tournament a temp hole was set up on a ski hill. 540' from top (tee) to bottom (basket). There was a 25-35 mph head wind. Faced with this situation what type of disc would you use and why?

adogg187420
Apr 27 2005, 03:38 PM

For the drive, if you use Innova, you would use a heavy weighted Monster. Ive flipped all kinds of Firebirds in 25mph+ headwinds, so use a heavy Monster. It will go straight and hyzer at the end, like a Teebird of Beast with no wind. For the upshot use a brand new KC Pro Roc or CE Roc, which are the most overstable. Aim a little to the right of the target and it will float right in. And it depends where your upshot landed to decide what type of putt to use.

Luke Butch
Apr 27 2005, 04:33 PM

Throw a heavy Z Predator on an anhyzer if I needed distance(depends on slope of hill), or throw the Z Predator flat on a slight hyzer line.

Chainiac
Apr 27 2005, 04:36 PM
I use a mixture of Discraft and Innova and after looking at the Monster on Innova's comparison chart the only disc close was my Sidewinder. I was afraid to use it since I felt it would flip over and really catch the wind. I tried to use something that would fly straight if I could keep it low to the dropping ground. Needless to say that didn't work and the wind picked up my discs and violently deposited it in the woods on the right side of the ski hill.

Once you made it half way down the ski hill the wind did not seem to bother the flight as much. The tee shot was the killer.

krazyeye
Apr 27 2005, 05:01 PM
How would a Sidewinder be anywhere close to being a Monster?

Apr 27 2005, 05:26 PM
Word,

The two are almost exactly diametricly opposed. What about max wt Flicks? Are they the most headwindy capable? (I mostley throw FX FB's in wind with good luck but want to try flicks)

Sorry about Jackin the thread. I like Wizards for putting, but alot of the wind probs are still there. Horrible headwind? Put with a FX FB! Terrible Headwind? Putt with a CE ROC. Tailwind? Aim high and hard with a SLIGHT nose up and get pushed down without a blowby on the basket. Something I dont do enough of is planning the opproach shot to land so im not shooting into the wind, but with it.

Chainiac
Apr 27 2005, 05:32 PM
Maybe I shouldn't have. I was trying to compare the Monster with something of Innova's that I have in my bag. More of my drivers are from Discraft (Flick, XL, XS, X2) than Innova currently. Now that I look at Innova's chart again maybe my Beast would have been a much better comparison.

Thanks.

Apr 27 2005, 06:17 PM
Your Flick or X2 would have been the correct choice.

Throwing into wind = stable disc
Throwing downhill = stable disc
Throwing downhill into wind = very overstable disc.

The beast is not very stable IMO.

Chainiac
Apr 27 2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks everyone.

Again, it's not easy to convert everyone's suggested disc into something I have in my bag (xspecially at work). Krusen's suggestion of a "very overstable disc" is what I was looking for I guess.

vwkeepontruckin
Apr 30 2005, 03:44 AM
Spirits know no wind...they fly almost the same no matter what!

Jun 11 2005, 03:17 AM
Putting in the wind is tricky, especially putting into a headwind. One trick that I have learned from local pros is that you can putt with the disc upside down. Yep, upside down. The grip is a little tricky, but the wind will not lift the disc up nearly as much. However, you only want to throw an upside down putt if you are within 10-15 feet. Anything further than that and the disc may get flipped over in the wind and take off.