Apr 25 2005, 09:23 PM
Been playing a little over a year and my game has improved consistently. Anyway, I've recently discovered something wonderful called a Valkyrie. :) This disc has been awesome for me. Anyway, could somebody tell me if this disc's performance is typical or perhaps it's my technique accounting for it, but...

(right hand backhand throw)
If I start this disc out with a slight hyzer, the sucker flattens out and flies on a bead forever, which I like. If I start it out with an even greater hyzer (aiming right of course) it really, really seems to hold the line well and will gently arc back the left. If I start it out anhyzer, it holds that line really well too and doesn't seem to want to come back left. This disc totaly seems to respond to the "low and go" philosophy.

This is a Pro Valk 172g, btw. So if I understand correctly, as this disc wears it will become more understable and that shot that flattens out will tend to flip (is that the right word?) or turn righ on me, correct? Now today I just picked up a JK Champion Valk 175g. What can I expect this disc to do compared to the Pro Valk? Do the Champion discs sit slightly off to one side of the stability for a Pro or DX disc or are they comparable?

Lastly, what is a comparable disc to the Valk? As I described above I can't seem to get an S turn out of this disc, but I could definitely use a disc comparable to this Valk that does S turn.

Thanks!

-gk-

cbdiscpimp
Apr 25 2005, 09:32 PM
Sounds like its flying the way it should fly. In my opinion Valks are understable to Stable drivers and should do everything you desribed. Just wait till you start smacking the Proline into the trees and that Valk of your becomes a SWEET ROLLER :D I can throw a beat up valk flat with alot of snap and turn it into a 600 ft roller but i dont throw innova so im telling you if you want a GREAT roller just but another one of those discs and beat the CRAP OUT OF IT and you will have a GREAT ROLLER DISC :D

davidbihl
Apr 25 2005, 10:12 PM
Sidewinder is comparable to a Valk. Pretty user friendly. Throw with a little hyser and go on a Line.

Apr 26 2005, 01:50 AM
Now today I just picked up a JK Champion Valk 175g. What can I expect this disc to do compared to the Pro Valk? Do the Champion discs sit slightly off to one side of the stability for a Pro or DX disc or are they comparable?

The Champion discs are more stable then their pro or DX counterparts. Your max weight 175 even more so. Maybe a high 160's would be better?? So, if you throw your new Champ flat it should fly close to the way your pro does with a bit of a hyzer release.

The Valkrie is a wonderful disc. If you give it a good snap with some speed and release it flat it should take off, go a bit right, glide, then come back. Maybe you just need to give it more time to break in, or try a lighter weight.

You may want to pick up a DX one to try also. I have not thrown the Pro Valkrie yet, but from all I have seen and heard the new pro discs tend to fly understable, worse if you smack alot of trees. My Pro starfire went understable (more than it was already) on me as soon as I hit a couple trees with it. In my opinion, the DX plastic holds up better than that.

discgolfreview
Apr 26 2005, 02:44 AM
the pro valk newish and in heavy weights isn't too far off stability-wise from a champ valk. the pro valk is a bit more squirrely at high speeds. both are more overstable than the DX valk.

as your valk begins to break in it should s-turn and imo, that is what you should hold out for (under the philosophy that discs aren't new for very long, but they are used for a very long time :P). by the time your broken in valk will no longer fade out from a hyzer-flip s-curve, your newish one should be broken in to that point :)

personally, i find a max weight DX valk to be the straightest flyer of them all if you start them slight hyzer and flatten them up. as a general rule for stability: champ > DX/Pro. as for DX vs. Pro, it varies a bit by mold. from my experiences, i've found that the pro are a bit less high speed stable than dx when both are new but the pro fade a little more/earlier as well.

as for discs similar to a valk but a bit flippier... the sidewinder or x xs are probably the closest two discs out there right now to that description.

Apr 26 2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks for thr replies, guys. The shop right next to where I work carries Innova as their main disc supplier, so those are the discs I know the best. I guess I'd heard of the Valk before but never really knew what it was about. Just happened to pick one up on a whim, and now I'm shooting myself for not researching this earlier. It also occurs to me that this probably should've been in the equipment forum. Anyway...I think I've finaly improved with my technique to the point where I can get the high speed drivers to flatten out. I'm thinking a year ago I wouldn't have had the success I'm now having with the Valk. Playing more often and finaly getting comfortable with the footwork are the two main reasons for my improvement. Love the game, love the Valk. Once again, thanks!

-gk-

circle_2
Apr 26 2005, 11:57 AM
There's local leagues at Centennial Park Tuesday (random doubles) and Thursday (singles) evenings. If I can make it timewise, Thursdays are a better bet for me. Do you shop for discs at 'Sunflower' or PIAS? Or is there another place I'm unaware of?
doc

Chainiac
Apr 26 2005, 12:23 PM
Can you tell me how an Orc compares to the Valk? I just won an Orc at a tourney. I throw a mixture of Discraft and Innova. I hear so much talk about Orcs and Valks but haven't tried them yet. I currently use Z-Flick, XL, XS, and a dx Beast. I have a Sidewinder if I need to anhyzer or S curve. (RHBH)

Thanks.

davidbihl
Apr 26 2005, 12:52 PM
For me, the Orc is a "flatter disc." It flies on a line, long and low and does not roll over (turn over) like a valkrie. The orc flies like a teebird just faster and further, very dependably. Look at Innova's website and compare the speed, glide, etc... I never converted to the valk, but I have converted to the Orc (from teebird)

Apr 26 2005, 01:54 PM
Dave- You found that the Orc is as stable as a teebird? Or did you have to adjust your throws? I throw the Teebird on most drives, and I've heard alot about the Orc, but when I tested a few different new Champ Orcs, they all flipped on me.

davidbihl
Apr 26 2005, 07:19 PM
Rendroc
I think they are slightly less overstable than a teebirdin that I don't have to throw them as hard as a teebird so maybe that is how I use them and get better results. I may have changed my technique some, as I am always thinking about how I can get a little better, but that being said, I am able to be accurate with an Orc, like I was accurate with a teebird, while gaining some distance. That all may be as clear a mud, but I think the only way to really know is to experiment, like the frisbee says on the back, invent games, flat flip, flies straight, have fun! Mayble try throwing the orc with a little more hyser and smooth 90%, see what happens. I still carry teebirds for shorter shots and Orcs for longer.

davidbihl
Apr 26 2005, 07:36 PM
Rendroc
I just looked on innova website. The Orc is 10 speed, 4 glide, -1 turn, + 3 for fade. The teebird is 7 for speed, 5 for glide, 0 for turn, and +2 for fade.
It helps to write them side by side, so if Interpret them correctly, Orc is faster speed with 1 point less float, and 1 point more turn (high speed early part of the flight) and one point more fade or "come back" at the end of the flight.

The orc is rated 1 point less stable so you are correct Rendroc in saying that it is less stable than a teebird, and I can see that in the flight characteristics, but it comes back harder at the end (1 point) and gets there faster with less float. Hmmmm... interesting, I have never really examined these flight charts.

Apr 26 2005, 09:08 PM
There's local leagues at Centennial Park Tuesday (random doubles) and Thursday (singles) evenings. If I can make it timewise, Thursdays are a better bet for me. Do you shop for discs at 'Sunflower' or PIAS? Or is there another place I'm unaware of?
doc

Hey, another Lawrencian! (actually I'm a transplant). I shop at Sunflower as it's about a 100 ft walk from my office door. The selection there is generaly good and their disc golf guru dude is good about ordering discs (as long as you remember to pick them up!). I've been wanting to join the Kaw Valley club but I always find some excuse not to. The early part of summer is going to kick my [*****], so league is out for now. I should be out playing now but work is in the way. Anyway, I plan on playing every Tuesday with my boss, but we go right at 5, a little too early for the league.

What's the word on a permanent course at Clinton Lake? Will the temp course be up for Wakarusa Music Fest?

-gk-

discgolfreview
Apr 26 2005, 11:55 PM
as for the orc vs. the valk, the orc will be noticeably more overstable, especially in terms of low speed fade.

as for the teebird vs. orc, the difference in these two discs is very speed/power dependent. for someone who throws 450', the orc will be less stable than a teebird, but for someone that throws under 250', the orc is going to behave much more overstable.

Blarg
May 01 2005, 07:48 AM
Keep in mind that those disc performance charts (like the bible) were made up by some guy like you. :eek: ;) :D

Or me. :confused:

Plankeye
May 01 2005, 10:20 AM
The JK Valks will be a little more stable than your Pro Valk(like someone said earlier).

The orc is faster and has some turn whereas the teebird has no turn. If the hole is wide open I say throw the orc and try to get as much distance as possible, otherwise throw the Teebird.

If you like the Pro Valk feel, get a Pro starfire and hit it into a few trees then it will fly like your pro valk.