MileHighToad
Apr 22 2005, 01:38 PM
Does the PDGA have a standard rating system for disc stability? With each manufacturer using it's own method, it'd be nice if all PDGA approved discs were also put through a PDGA stability guide.

circle_2
Apr 22 2005, 02:22 PM
Until there's a robotic arm invented...we're stuck with what we've got, which really ain't too bad. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cbdiscpimp
Apr 22 2005, 02:52 PM
My stability rating tool is a football field. I take my new discs to the field and THROW THEM. Then I decide what the stability is :D If anyone needs me to test their discs for them you can send them with 10 dollars for my time and I will return them with a In Depth Description of what each one of them does :D

Parkntwoputt
Apr 22 2005, 03:13 PM
Or for $9 you can send your discs to me and a 20x Disc Sport World Champion and we will test them out for you. For an extra $5, we will break them in to the degree of turn you would like. JK :p

It would be nice to have an universal stability system that was unbiased for any manufacturer, but the costs are astronomical. Usually the manufacturers are consistent within themselves. If you know a disc by one company, go by what they say the relative stablity is and look at what other discs they say are more or less stable then the one you know. That is my best advice for you.

cbdiscpimp
Apr 22 2005, 03:25 PM
20x Disc Sport World Champion

Who would that be???

Parkntwoputt
Apr 22 2005, 03:29 PM
20x Disc Sport World Champion

Who would that be???

Tom Monroe PDGA # 033

Good friend and personal coach.

The 20x World Champ is in Disc Sports, Freestyle, DDC, MTA, Distance, Golf, Accuracy,etc. He has only won Disc Golf Worlds a handful of times, he holds the PDGA record for most 2nd place finishes at Worlds in a row.

cbdiscpimp
Apr 22 2005, 03:34 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!! I wish i had a personal coach because I learn from being shown and told how to do something. So if someone can just show me a couple times and word out the mechanics of it to me I can pretty much do it on the spot.

I NEED LESSONS

Parkntwoputt
Apr 22 2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah it is pretty nice having someone dedicate their time and energy into your personal game. How else do you think I have gotten where I am at after picking up a golf disc 1 year ago?

Apr 22 2005, 05:04 PM
well, you're from Colorado. You should realize that one major problem with a universal stability rating will be that discs fly differently a mile high from how they do at sea level. i've been told that my main flippy go-to roller discs here in NC will be a nice and stable out in CO. I think the go to a field and chuck 'em yourself method is the way to go.

MileHighToad
Apr 22 2005, 05:55 PM
This may sound dumb but if the PDGA is examining a disc to approve it for play why can't they go one step further and have a selected group of individuals collectively rate a disc based on some standards. Then, the manufacturer could print on the disc that it is PDGA approved and also place the basic rating numbers on the disc.

Not to be selective on the best way to describe stability (because I don't throw any of their plastic) but I think Innova does the best job of desciribing a disc flight...

Flight characteristics have been broken down into 4 general categories: Speed, Glide, High Speed Turn, and Low Speed Fade.

If the PDGA would adopt a similar rating system and give every approved disc a 4-digit number for a rating, it might help players better understand how discs fly before they throw them.

junnila
Apr 22 2005, 09:59 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!! I wish i had a personal coach because I learn from being shown and told how to do something. So if someone can just show me a couple times and word out the mechanics of it to me I can pretty much do it on the spot.

I NEED LESSONS

I would be happy to give you some lessons Steve. I will shave strokes off of your score because you will be trailing me everytime we play together. :D

circle_2
Apr 23 2005, 01:41 PM
This may sound dumb but if the PDGA is examining a disc to approve it for play why can't they go one step further and have a selected group of individuals collectively rate a disc based on some standards. Then, the manufacturer could print on the disc that it is PDGA approved and also place the basic rating numbers on the disc.

That doesn't sound dumb at all. I would liken this to a cigar testing - in that the discs should be unmarked, except for weight, and then 'tested' and given a rating. Hmmmm? :)
Nah...it'll never work. :p
Or will it?

Apr 24 2005, 07:07 AM
My stability rating tool is a football field. I take my new discs to the field and THROW THEM. Then I decide what the stability is :D If anyone needs me to test their discs for them you can send them with 10 dollars for my time and I will return them with a In Depth Description of what each one of them does :D

Are you sure you need a whole football field Pimpin? With your arm, isn't a tennis court big enough?