myze13325
Apr 12 2005, 04:02 PM
I have installed a number of alternate holes at Cedar Hills in Raleigh. For the alternates I used the round sprinkler boxes to cover the alternates when not in use. The tops of the boxes are about 1 inch above the ground.

The problem is that the sprinkler head boxes retain water in them and I am afraid over time will rust the install sleeve as well as degrade the locks.

Any Ideas in how to solution this??? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks myze

Apr 12 2005, 04:44 PM
how bout some rust-o-leum paint on the bases?
or some sorta cone shaped device at the bottom to shed away the water

myze13325
Apr 12 2005, 06:03 PM
Hmm a Tee pee, I will have to think about that.

We have tested drilling holes in the side for drainage, that does not see to work to well.

I might go with larger holes through the cement with a gravel void for drainage maybe a small pvc pipe (screened) to the rock void.

Just wonder if anyone else messed with these.

warwickdan
Apr 15 2005, 12:39 PM
Not sure if I'm answering the question, but i have what i believe is the best solution for covering alternate sleeves when they are not being used. I own a steel fabrication business and for my un-occupied alternate sleeves I fabricate short little pipe caps. I take a pipe the same diameter as the basket pipe, cut it to about 4 " long, and weld on a cap and a locking tab. It just slides right into the sleeve and then gets locked.

Feel free to contact me for info. I could take a digital photo of it and email you a photo.

Dan Doyle
warwick, NY

Apr 18 2005, 09:14 PM
Maybe you can just buy new discatchers for permanent on each sleeve so you don't have to change them at all!

galvidor
May 24 2005, 12:38 PM
Use PVC tubing for sleeves and chain to lock the basket to it. Sink the chain in the cement with the PVC. I just moved a placement that is at least 11 years old here in St Louis and re-used the tube!