Apr 10 2005, 02:41 PM
ive been playing disc golf for about 3 weeks...

i got a driver yesterday (innova cheetah) and i cant seem to get very good distance at all. i am working on my release and it seems to get better but sometimes when i throw it it goes like this: / and slams into the ground with horrible distance. any pointers? again, i am pretty new to the game and i am still working on my release. i find that i release a more solid shot when i keep my feet stuck to the ground, but i dont get much distance.

Apr 10 2005, 03:07 PM
I think on discgolfreview.com they state that it is better to learn to throw from a standstill first until you get your technique down a little.. then you can incoporate what we call an X-step... www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) has lots of articles for all skill levels on throwing a disc.

Best thing to do would be to NOT throw the driver for a while..
if you have putters and midranges(Aviars and Rocs, etc) just stick to them for now until you can get your technique down..
Slower discs are easier to control and a driver is the Fastest and that is what makes it so Hard to control. They are also more Stable and for a beginner all they will want to do is "hyzer" or Spike left for a right handed backhand thrower.

Stick to your putters and midranges for now until you get a solid technique down.
Just remember to try and keep your wrist down like you are shaking someone's hand and that will help to keep the nose down so they disc doesn't Go up like a Rocket and stall 50feet in front of you.

hope that helped a little

-Scott Lewis

Apr 10 2005, 04:13 PM
also a cheetah isn't a long distance driver.

when you are ready to drive just hold the fribee level like so: - and the release it at an angle like this: -+\ (there is no inbetween symbol so i will have to merge them by mathmatics) That would be called anhyzer(i do believe, correct me if i'm wrong).

If you do that then it won't do this: /(called hyzer) as badly. It almost levels out in the air. Well good luck. And also try sidearm sometime, but that is a different method.

Apr 10 2005, 05:05 PM
It would be a bad idea to always throw with anhyzer. You should find a roc, learn to throw it level and flat and then move onto understable drivers like valks and leopards. if you try to throw the overstable drivers like orcs and stuff with anhyzer, you might develop a really bad habit of only throwinh s curves. This is really bad because it will be really hard for you to relearn how to throw flat and straight.

Apr 10 2005, 05:56 PM
yeah, you should take his advice. i guess that was how i learned though, but i hardly ever through backhand(i should more to get better at it), i mainly always throw sidearm when i'm not in short range or put range.

discgolfreview
Apr 10 2005, 05:56 PM
padresfan: you are getting the nose up when the disc crashes hard left. chances are you are probably dropping your back shoulder and/or sweeping your pull plane down and up.

the technique troubleshooter on my page (discgolfreview.com) will have a variety of solutions for this problem.

while i agree with scott's advice about developing solid midrange/putter technique for distance, this may not prepare you for the last 2 generations of drivers to hit the market. while throwing midrange/putter discs will be a staple of your game in the long run, i would recommend to also balance in learning to throw the cheetah well as most drivers will force you to get the nose down (whereas midranges and putters are less nose angle dependent but more dependent upon release angles and a clean release).

you might develop a really bad habit of only throwinh s curves. This is really bad because it will be really hard for you to relearn how to throw flat and straight.

<---- heed these words, they are very true although i would add to the list of things difficult to relearn: finesse throws, hyzer flips, stable shots into the wind, etc.

as for the comments about a cheetah not being a long distance driver... it is (and at one point was one of the longer discs on the market ~1995-1998), just not a maximum distance driver according to today's standards. it will be one of the easier drivers to learn to throw with, especially compared to discs designed from 2001 to present.

i would be willing to wager that 75% of the technique repair i do with players on a 1-to-1 basis is fixing bad habits that were developed to copmensate for throwing discs that were too fast/overstable.

vwkeepontruckin
Apr 11 2005, 01:44 PM
also a cheetah isn't a long distance driver

B/S..anyone with good technique could get those out to 400' no problem...it sounds as if you are throwing too many fast discs...Oh wait, Blake already discussed it...never mind...

the_kid
Apr 11 2005, 01:45 PM
Yeah I can throw a cheeta 600'. :D:D

vwkeepontruckin
Apr 11 2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah I can throw a cheeta 600'. :D:D

This is off topic, but who here has seen Harold and Kumar?
...."Didn't we come here on a Cheetah?"

the_kid
Apr 11 2005, 02:16 PM
That is the new topic. :D:D

esalazar
Apr 11 2005, 03:00 PM
definately check out disc golf review!! there are some great articles etc.!! :D

Apr 11 2005, 09:51 PM
B/S..anyone with good technique could get those out to 400' no problem...it sounds as if you are throwing too many fast discs...Oh wait, Blake already discussed it...never mind...

well according to innova the cheetah is a fairway driver. don't take it up with me, that's what innova classifies it as.

the_kid
Apr 11 2005, 10:06 PM
Even thoug its a faiway driver that doesn't mean you can't throw it far. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

discgolfreview
Apr 11 2005, 11:35 PM
well according to innova the cheetah is a fairway driver. don't take it up with me, that's what innova classifies it as.

pre-fairway driver stamp it was classified as a "very long range driver", which was the longest classification until the unveilment of the "ultra long range driver."

the cheetah does fall into the 5-wood type of disc now, but upon its release in 1995-96, it was one of the longest discs on the market (along with the cyclone, gazelle, viper, x-clone, etc.). each generation of driver has added about 5-10% of distance on a low line drive from the previous generation (assuming you have the power to throw them).

if anyone is curious, they kind of break down for discs with similar design characteristics (others may group these differently)...
1993-1997: cyclone, gazelle, cheetah, cyclone 2, x-clone, polaris ls/voyager, etc.
1998-1999: eagle, teebird, leopard, xl, x2
2000-2001: valkyrie, xs, reaper, jls (this generation didn't really add much in terms of D, 2-5%)
2002-present: wildcat, beast, crush, flash, orc, starfire, viking, etc.

the thing that gets forgotten easily, is that a big chunk of players back in the mid-90's could throw cyclones/gazelles well over 400'. for the average player that is throwing ~380-400' with a flash/orc on a 10' high line drive, chances are they are only going to throw a cheetah/cyclone/gazelle/etc. ~310-340' on the same line drive.

personally, i measure my development in terms of stationary technology. i want a consistent 400' with a cyclone/gazelle and 400' with whatever is newest just isn't the same in my mind.

vwkeepontruckin
Apr 12 2005, 12:06 AM
personally, i measure my development in terms of stationary technology. i want a consistent 400' with a cyclone/gazelle and 400' with whatever is newest just isn't the same in my mind.

I agree...since throwing Gateway, I measure my progress by how far I can throw a Sabre...which if you check, Blake recommends for a reason...its a stable disc that goes and goes with a smooth flutter free release.

discgolfreview
Apr 12 2005, 12:34 AM
i give a ton of props to people who can throw sabres far. i can throw my rocs farther because i don't have the technique to throw high and nose down as is required for the sabre. it was fun seeing shawn sinclair pull one ~550' on a throw he released nearly vertical and went about 60' in the air before flipping over a few years ago

Apr 12 2005, 12:06 PM
oh well, whatever. i did have a friend that used it for a while, i never said it wasn't capible of being thrown far. heck, some people can do well with driving putters.

Apr 12 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey above - I don't know what you're talking about the cheetah is not a long distance driver. On than Innova computer game I could throw the cheetah 600 easy!

Tee Hee..

Apr 12 2005, 12:18 PM
ha, i meant according to innova the cheetah is not a long distance driver anymore. i didn't say people couldn't drive it long. oh yeah, do you know where i could get that innova game, i've been looking a bit on the internet.

vwkeepontruckin
Apr 13 2005, 11:32 AM
i give a ton of props to people who can throw sabres far. i can throw my rocs farther because i don't have the technique to throw high and nose down as is required for the sabre. it was fun seeing shawn sinclair pull one ~550' on a throw he released nearly vertical and went about 60' in the air before flipping over a few years ago

Yeah, I can't BOMB them, but I can control them out to about 350' or so better than any other driver.