Apr 09 2005, 02:38 PM
I started this game in Septemeber. And could get it about 190ft. when I first started. It took me about a month to get it 300ft.
And in the past numerous months I am stuck at about 310-315 ft.

Today, I went out to Football Field and started off throwing about 270ft. I was frustrated as Hell but I did get warmed up and improved to about just over 300ft.
I noticed the more I concentrated on whipping my wrist right at the last moment of release the Disc went farther.
I just concentrated like I was about to whip my brother with a wet towell. And my release improved as well as the distance. I managed to get just a few feet from the goal post. This is throwing from the 0 yd. line from the other side. So it came out to about 327ft. with a 172 Champion Valkyrie. And none of this approximating your distance on a regular Disc Golf Course. To get your true distance you got to go on a football or soccer field with accurate measurements. Thats just my opinion!

But it is frustrating because I want to hit 350ft. on a consistent basis.

Will this just come with time and practice ???

jaxx
Apr 09 2005, 03:31 PM
yeah just keep practicing

Apr 09 2005, 04:43 PM
Discgolfreview.com has an article on smalls things you can try differently to improve your throw once you're distance has plateaued (however you spell that). The thing to remember about football and soccer fields is that they give you your true distance on a football field and soccer field. When I used to throw on them alot I used to be able to throw around 360, but when I got to a course I probably threw closer to 250. Now that I've been practicing throwing distance at big holes at the discgolf park, I think I can throw farther there than a football field. Something about the mentality about throwing on the concrete teepad I think.

Apr 09 2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah I agree !! There holes at a Course I play that are 270ft or so and I can hardly get there off the tee pad.

I guess on a football field I am going all out. Where on a Disc Course I am subconsiously too afraid to try to smoke it off the Tee Pad thinking I will throw a shank or something.

shanest
Apr 09 2005, 08:29 PM
Just the opposite for me. I ALWAYS drive further on a golf course than on a football field. I think I just need to have a direction ya know not just stand up and deliver aimlessly. Uprights dont do it for me I guess. We'll see when I take my Traveller to a field and pretend there are holes.

Read http://discgolfreview.com, it's gold. The plateauing article should definitely help you, especially with your golf distance.

Apr 09 2005, 09:30 PM
I'm the same way, when throwing in a field I have to picture a basket being at a certain point or else field practice takes about 50 feet min. off my drives

Apr 10 2005, 02:08 AM
Try this: Go to a baseball field with posted fence measurements and throw there. I did this yesterday and hit the fence in centerfield at 390'. This will give you an idea of how much distance you get on flat ground. I used to throw on a 300' field until every throw started going about 50' over the fence.

Kenja
Apr 11 2005, 06:50 PM
Uh no offense but are you guys sure you're getting the distance you think you're getting? Depending on how they measure the golf hole, (tee to pin vs 'as the disc flies', laser rangefinder vs tape measure vs paced distance) the posted distance can be off by quite a bit, in my experience

cbdiscpimp
Apr 11 2005, 06:58 PM
And none of this approximating your distance on a regular Disc Golf Course. To get your true distance you got to go on a football or soccer field with accurate measurements. Thats just my opinion!

If I go to a football field what am i supposed to do when i want to measure the distance i get with my Mids and Drivers??? :D

Apr 11 2005, 07:01 PM
well you could start by counting 10 yards, 20 yards, 30 yards, but I could be wrong, I was never good at match, hee hee hee :o

cbdiscpimp
Apr 11 2005, 07:02 PM
Well the football field would only be able to measure my max D with a Cryztal Challenger :eek:

Apr 11 2005, 07:07 PM
well, just use that big ol head of yours as measuring tool.
I crushed two pimp heads today at the field, I would have to calibrate what two pimp heads are but you get the picture

krazyeye
Apr 11 2005, 07:18 PM
Matt you're mean. When are you coming back to Corpus?

Apr 11 2005, 07:21 PM
never! maybe that will work better than soon?
although all kidding aside, I would say soon, very soon.. my work hours have been cut back to 40, so I will get out of work at noon on Fridays. The sooner the cooler the golf will be. I will let you guys know so you can give the wind the weekend off lol. I have yet to play Ingleside

Apr 12 2005, 12:32 AM
I have been stuck at 375' for the past couple years now.
It would be nice to be able to crush it 450'-500 like the pros can, but I just can't seem to get it out there like that.

When I am throwing drives in a field, they are all within a 5 foot range of one another.

With that being said, I am still happy with how I drive. I can put it where I want it with consistancy.

If my putting was as consistant as my driving, I'd be set :)

Apr 12 2005, 02:09 AM
I took a big jump (50-60') when I started throwing mid ranges more. It forced me to smooth out my throwing motion. Overstable, sharp nosed drivers seem to mask quite a few errors in my technique, whereas a mid will draw attention to the flaws to where I can see and correct them.

Now, when I'm on the tee, I move a lot slower and get more distance. I tend to tell people who ask for advice to slow down and not try to be a track star on the tee pad. It has worked (and continues to work :D) for me.

Apr 12 2005, 02:18 AM
I have been stuck at 375' for the past couple years now.

When I am throwing drives in a field, they are all within a 5 foot range of one another.

With that being said, I am still happy with how I drive. I can put it where I want it with consistancy.

375 with a consistent drive like that is fricken awesome. I keep getting more D as I try to find some sort of consistency in my aim. I'd much rather throw accurately and consistently at 375 then be able to throw 450 (not that I can).

quickdisc
Jun 14 2005, 10:03 PM
For myself , it may just be a matter of working out.

I actually threw farther when I was Surfing and Skakeboarding.

Surfing helped build stronger shoulders , arms and reduced the gut.

Skateboarding built strong calfs , ankles , thighs , waist and of course, Balance.

DUDE !!!!!!! :cool: