Apr 08 2005, 04:52 PM
I need help. Can anyone tell me the best putting techique? I can drive alright, but my putts are where I loose tons of strokes. So many people tell me their theorys on putting and I'm not sure what the best way is, maybe I'm missing somthing.

greenbeard
Apr 08 2005, 05:27 PM
1. what happens when you throw
2. how do you grip
3. what is your stance
4. how old is your sister

esalazar
Apr 08 2005, 05:41 PM
try a few methods. choose the one that feels more comfortable!! then practise a lot!!! there are many styles , it just depends on what works best for each individual..

my_hero
Apr 08 2005, 05:49 PM
There is no BEST way to putt. Look at a few of the past and current World Champs:

Climo = common stance w/ a lot of hyzer
Schultz = straddle stance w/ a flatter release (a little hyzer)
Russell = perpendicular stance w/ anhyzer
Todd = common stance w/ push putt

Pick something that is comfortable and putt, putt, putt, putt, putt. Just remember, too much of anything makes you an addict. :D

esalazar
Apr 08 2005, 05:57 PM
my point exactly!! find what works best for you!! stay consistant in form!! and practise a lot!! :D

cbdiscpimp
Apr 08 2005, 06:31 PM
Pretty much ALL the super pros pitch putt with little spin. They all have varying degrees of release but most all pitch put in some way with little spin put on the disc.

I was taught this method out in Las Vegas earlier this year and it has improved my game by atleast 2 or 3 strokes per round.

my_hero
Apr 08 2005, 06:41 PM
That post reminded me of Stokley's putt. It had so little spin that it "flapped" and "fluttered" all the way to the chains.

Apr 08 2005, 08:28 PM
The moral of the story is do whatever you can to get it to the chains repeatedly. Straddle, push, turbo, hyzer, annie, basketball (when close), drop and probably others will all work if you just learn to be repeatable. You could stand facing away from the basket and throw it over your shoulder if you could get it to work. If you don't find a basket, just try hitting a tree or poll consistently about 3-4 feet up and keep doing it. It don't matter how its gets to the chains as long as it does. :D

sandalbagger
Apr 09 2005, 12:41 AM
All I can say is even though ken climo is a great putter and the fact that I try to follow his style, DO NOT try to learn the hyzer putt. Not that it's a bad putt, but once the wind kicks up, the hyzer putt is just about useless. Learn a flat or slightly anhyzer putt and you will be glad that you did. Take it from me after 10 years of this game, I wish I would have never thrown a hyzer putt in my life.

Apr 09 2005, 01:49 AM
I have always had problems with my putting.
When i started playing in Late April of 2003 within 2 months i was throwing 450Feet and sinking most of my putts. Then i started messing with my game And have NEVER gotten back to it.

I started by pushputting like Brinster(who got me into the game and i watched him play a lot).
Then i tried switching over to "Spin" putting and would have streaks of about a month or 2 where i would be for the most part dead on.
Then i would go back to push putting again and that started to work.
This year I have already went from Sping putting to Push putting.
I changed my push putt to more of a clean hyzer release and i'm doing alright with that, but anything in jump putt range is a spin putt and i'm having some success with that.

My problem is that even though i think my form is the same I guess i do something differently becuase after a while my putting form is useless and I go to something else.. NOt very good for my game.

But that's the same for my throwing technique too.. I keep changing it and i get good and then it fades. I'm messed up i guess.

-Scott Lewis

the_kid
Apr 09 2005, 12:34 PM
I hyzer putt basically everything and as long as you know how the wind will affect your disc you can make any putt. Go to www.kenclimo.com (http://www.kenclimo.com) and it has the "wind chart" which is a analysis of the discs flight into a 1 o'clock 2 o'clock 3o'clock and so on. Hope this helps also since worlds this year I have started to putt for 2 hours a night which has greatly improved my game to a 980 rating from what was a 958. :D:D:D

discgolfreview
Apr 10 2005, 06:16 PM
I need help. Can anyone tell me the best putting techique? I can drive alright, but my putts are where I loose tons of strokes. So many people tell me their theorys on putting and I'm not sure what the best way is, maybe I'm missing somthing.

there's 2 general styles of putting, each with its strengths and weaknesses.

1) an underhand pitch (i call this a pitch putt)
2) a hinge/unhinge of the elbow (i call this a throw putt)
3) a little of both 1 and 2.

within each style are various sub-characteristics including but not limited to:
1) flight line: line drive vs. arc/loft
2) release angle: flat vs. hyzer vs. anhyzer
3) power: fast and strong vs. slow and finesse
4) amount of spin: no/low spin vs. moderate/high spin
5) release point: high vs. low and close to body vs. far from body
6) wrist/finger behavior: snap/spring vs. no snap/with spring vs. no snap/no spring
7) nose angle: nose up vs. flat vs. nose down
8) stance: straddle vs. staggered
9) weight shift: rock vs. lunge vs. leg flex vs. none
10) grip: (insert list of putting grips here)

the best one for you = the one that you can execute most consistently and well and put the disc into the basket.

i have a theory on putting technique that the best putting technique has the least number of factors that can/will make you miss and is easiest to repeat, but this rarely perfectly reflects what people are able to consistently execute.

each of the factors/styles i listed above has inherent factors that make them better suited for specific instances/situations and weaker in other ways. e.g. a throw putt has more range than a pitch putt but if your timing is off you will very often pull to the right/push to the left. similarly, a pitch putt (with no hinge) will be on line more often but is harder to generate as much power/length.

the way i teach putting generally is to find the most comfortable style first, get to the point where you are making at least 50% from 20-25', then re-evaluate if this style is going to be good enough for you in the long run or if you need to make adjustments. what you learn in the meantime are things like, feel, touch, distance, timing, weight shift, wind behavior, etc. ideally, the 50% make should only take 1-3 weeks of practice. keep in mind this is advice targeted at those still developing a putting style. once you've settled in, it just comes down to practice.

Apr 12 2005, 12:30 PM
I keep changing it and i get good and then it fades. I'm messed up i guess.

-Scott Lewis

I usually have that same problem. But i one day just stuck to the one i did the best or liked the most and never switched back. I drive sidearm. I first learned to do it a bad way with three fingers on the inside of the disc. A while back i changed to two fingers and it improved amazing well.

Oh yeah, i also need some work on my putting. Every now and then i get a bogey and it's mostly because of a missed putt. I usually get par, and several birdies.

md21954
Apr 12 2005, 12:44 PM
like me.

Luke Butch
Apr 12 2005, 11:17 PM
All I can say is even though ken climo is a great putter and the fact that I try to follow his style, DO NOT try to learn the hyzer putt. Not that it's a bad putt, but once the wind kicks up, the hyzer putt is just about useless. Learn a flat or slightly anhyzer putt and you will be glad that you did. Take it from me after 10 years of this game, I wish I would have never thrown a hyzer putt in my life.

I developed a hyzer putt when playing last winter(03-04). When tournaments started my putting sucked most of the time. Why? Because I had a hyzer putt that was developed on a wooded course and only worked with little wind.

a good "hyzer" putt is more of a straight putt with an overstable putter. You aim just high and right of the basket, and let the hyzer take it in. The disc should be almost flat for most of it's flight.

As for putting in the wind I find that more spin and less push seems to help me. I like to almost flick my putter towards the basket.

MARKB
Apr 13 2005, 03:58 AM
I would have to go with the opposite in the wind. For me since I do have a push putt, I like to release as flat as possible and with little spin as possible so the wind doesnt have much affect on it. Also so the wind doesnt mess with my stroke I shorten my stroke a little.

md21954
May 03 2005, 03:27 PM
What is the best way to putt?

like a monkey throws feces.

http://www.fundalarm.com/THROW1.gif

Dick
May 03 2005, 06:19 PM
not like me.

seriously

May 04 2005, 03:16 AM
When you are in doubt, just go behind the back! :cool:

May 16 2005, 07:41 PM
Carlton Howard wrote a great piece about putting. You should check it out:

http://www.radl.biz/articles/puttingmadeeasy.html

It sure helped me to take his advise.

Sharky
May 17 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting the link to that article, good reading. Does Carlton putt with his feet in an open position then?

I used to line my feet up in line with the pole but now offset them a little for better balance, with the left (back) foot behind and slightly to the right of the front foot. That feels comfortable to me but my belly button does not line up with the pole hole but is "aimed" to the left of it. Is this good foot position? I hope you get the gist of my question, thanks.

May 18 2005, 01:05 PM
the best way to put is throwing your disc and it landing in the basket EVERY time. :D

This might take eons to accomplish but the fun is going after the goal. ;)

quickdisc
May 21 2005, 04:00 PM
My question is :

How do you putt when you are exausted at the end of the day ? You know , dead tired and don't feel like playing anymore , either if you are brain tired and or physically tired.

You have to finish your round , your putts are either weak or off left or right , high or low. Nothing is clicking. Depression want's to kick in.

Any help on this one ? :eek:

ANHYZER
May 21 2005, 10:26 PM
Jump putt

CAMBAGGER
May 21 2005, 11:38 PM
Into the bottom of the basket, I found I'm most succesful when putting this way. :D

May 22 2005, 10:05 AM
Aim at the pole. Look at the pole and try to hit it. Don''t aim at the chains or the basket or links. Look at the pole. It's a bigger target and your depth perception can lock onto it more than the chains.

On uphill putts aim at the top of the pole. On downhill putts aim at the bottom of the pole. On level ground, aim in the middle.

discgolfreview
May 22 2005, 03:35 PM
My question is :

How do you putt when you are exausted at the end of the day ? You know , dead tired and don't feel like playing anymore , either if you are brain tired and or physically tired.

You have to finish your round , your putts are either weak or off left or right , high or low. Nothing is clicking. Depression want's to kick in.

from my experience working with players and my own experiences with fatigue-based putting breakdowns, i've found three factors that most often throw your putt off during these states.

1) you forget to aim. putting stances/styles that use a part of the body to reference aim are generally less affected in right/left aim by this.

2) you aren't putting from the "forward" position. most players release their putts with their upper body leaned forward and their weight over their front foot. when your legs/back are tired, you are more apt to ignore this, especially on shorter putts that don't require a weight shift. the result is putting from more of an upright position and skewing the natural plane of your stroke.

3) you aren't extending during your putt. this is often linked to #2. if you are accustomed to putting weight forward and fail to do this, chances are you will putt with an upward stroke moreso than an outward stroke as your swing plane will be off.

quickdisc
May 24 2005, 06:46 PM
My question is :

from my experience working with players and my own experiences with fatigue-based putting breakdowns, i've found three factors that most often throw your putt off during these states.

1) you forget to aim. putting stances/styles that use a part of the body to reference aim are generally less affected in right/left aim by this.

2) you aren't putting from the "forward" position. most players release their putts with their upper body leaned forward and their weight over their front foot. when your legs/back are tired, you are more apt to ignore this, especially on shorter putts that don't require a weight shift. the result is putting from more of an upright position and skewing the natural plane of your stroke.

3) you aren't extending during your putt. this is often linked to #2. if you are accustomed to putting weight forward and fail to do this, chances are you will putt with an upward stroke moreso than an outward stroke as your swing plane will be off.

Thanks Blake. I'll have to check that out !!!!! :D

May 26 2005, 03:05 PM
Not that I can actually do when I need to....

1) your wirst follows your chin
2) balance s key
3) you must have a Routine

read a guy named Bob Rotella
:D:D

May 27 2005, 02:41 PM
hey a quick question to everyone.......i've noticed a difference with putting with a finger on the lip of the putter....some put their finger on the outside of the lip :eek:.....and some put their last knuckle before their fingernail right under the lip, finger still on the outside...i personally used to put my finger on the outside but a friend showed me the knuckle under finger out method...it works well but requires more push to get the distance.....anyone else got any finger advice? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cbdiscpimp
May 27 2005, 02:53 PM
I rest the pad of my index finger on the bead. NOT on the outer edge. If you rest on the outer edge your putt will NEVER be consistant from day to day because the muscles in your index finger arent as flexible from day to day which will send your putts either right or left of the basket depending on flexibility. Either rest the pad on the bead with the finger under the rim of rest the crease of your first knuckle on the bead and putt like that. Since I changed to that grip my putting has been alot more consistant. Good luck.

vwkeepontruckin
May 27 2005, 04:35 PM
The key is to have a putt with the least amount of variables than can change from day to day. IE, don't have your finger on the outside edge, as thats an extra mechanism that can misfire. Go read Stokely's book...I didn't learn how to putt from it, but I did learn how not to putt...it gives you a starting place to iron out kinks in your own putt.

Hope that helps.

cbdiscpimp
May 27 2005, 04:40 PM
I didnt learn how to putt untill I had 2 super pros give me a lesson for a half hour. Watch Videos of Schweb and Kenny and Feldberg and Avery Jenkins and Barry Shultz and Cam Todd and you will learn how to putt. You have the grip right already so thats key. They all use this low spin PITCH PUTT. Its got good range and when you miss its still stays close so you dont have to many comeback putts.

I compare it to how you would toss a textbook onto a table if you wanted it to land flat and slide. I just try and do that with the putter and I aim directly at the center of the pole no matter how long my putt is. Ill try and get some pictures and video this weekend.

eddie_ogburn
May 27 2005, 05:12 PM
Watch Videos of Schweb and Kenny and Feldberg and Avery Jenkins and Barry Shultz and Cam Todd and you will learn how to putt.

I'm pretty sure Schweb puts his finger on the outer rim.

cbdiscpimp
May 27 2005, 05:15 PM

I dont think he did the last time I saw him putt, but maybe thats why he CANT PUTT :eek: JK JK

quickdisc
Jun 01 2005, 02:34 AM
Practice.........Practice..........Practice.
Try different types of grips. Straddle turnover putts are sometimes difficult. Depth of the discs rim , sometimes makes a difference if too beaten up.
As long as your comfortable with your style and release.

Don't limit yourself.

bschweberger
Jun 01 2005, 05:05 PM

I dont think he did the last time I saw him putt, but maybe thats why he CANT PUTT :eek: JK JK

My index finger is just under the edge of the rim to create a slight amount of spin.

Jun 12 2005, 07:20 PM
I'd say its probably a good idea to practice a bunch of different things when putting, so that you know what you do and don't want to do when putting, kinda like being able to throw nose down when you want to and throw nose up when you want to. Try throwing anhyzer putts, from different distances, level putts from different distances, and hyzer putts from different distances. Try throwing straddle putts when leaning to the right, try throwing straddle putts when leaning to the left and then try the staggard stance. I think its best to have a default putt that you practice most often, but by practicing these other things you'll understand the feel of your putt better and have more options.

quickdisc
Jun 13 2005, 01:08 AM
The best way to Putt is to not have a Putt !!!!!

Just Park it !!!!!!

No.................

Get out and practice as much as possible.
Try different styles and see what works best in that specific situation.

There is alot.......and I mean Alot of different styles of Putting.

Try Both left and right handed , sidearm , finger flip , Turbo , horseshoe ( End over End ) , Propeller ( Side to Side , with push putt ). Full Tower ( Used for putting over bushes ).
Underhand and speedflick. I'm sure there is tons more I have not seen , but again , Experiment....

It can be as Fun as you make it !!!! :D

cdaigle
Jun 13 2005, 01:15 AM
All of the videos and tips from pros are a great place to start. Whatever the putting technique you use, the key is to be as confident as possible when the disc last touches your skin. I try to use the turbo whenever possible, within 60 feet, (if you laugh you better bring your wallet :cool:) and have a very dependable backhand as well. It all comes down to being comfortable around the basket.
Best of Luck
Turbo

shanest
Jun 13 2005, 03:26 PM
Chad, what's up? His turbo putt is sick.
Remember me? I came down from CT for a day or two and played a round with you at JB.

cdaigle
Jun 14 2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah Shane. Keep up the good shooting. Im looking forward to seeing your name start circulating out there. How did you enjoy Sioux Passage?
Chad

shanest
Jun 14 2005, 09:46 PM
Had alot of fun at Sioux Passaged. I banged a 2 out of the cage on 4, but got three's on holes 1-7 and a deuce on 6 to be tied w/ Justin after the first 7 at -1. Of course, then I had to play the back 9, lol

quickdisc
Jun 15 2005, 01:49 AM
Hmmmmmmm.................

Best way to putt , is to be direct.
Know the line your going to throw and throw it.
Leave no room for any negative thoughts.

Be happy if the disc holds the line you throw.
NO shot is always 100% perfect.
It's nice to be 80% somedays though !!!!!!

Practice makes perfect , as the saying goes.
Never give up on yourself.
You are only as good as you are, at that moment in time.

Believe in yourself and give yourself a chance.
You'll only get out of it , what you put in to it !!!!!!!

Try challenging yourself. The only person who can beat you , is you !!!!!

:D Now , go and be somebody...........my son !!!!! :eek:

Jun 15 2005, 02:08 AM
my putting sucks so don't listen to me but here's my new theory.

i used to snap to hard and miss right over and over. now i have started releasing the disc earlier in the snap witt no as much force aimed right at the chains. they seem to be going in for me more...of course this is in my backyard.

who knows....could be a good tip and it could be a crappy tip...give it a shot :D

MiTTenZZ
Jun 15 2005, 01:43 PM
For me what works easiest is to not overthink the putt. Just step up and throw it in as if you were throwing the putter to your buddy. You can hit your buddy right in the waiste/belly every single time you try within 30 feet, why not apply that to the basket? Just step up and throw it like your aiming to hit your friend in the stomach (assuming your friend isn't freakishly tall or short). Don't overthink the putt, that's the best way to miss. Then again I use my 30 seconds...for all my putts total in a round. I may be the fastest putter in the sport...<shrug> but man it works when it's on. I'm pretty much a 'spin' putter, but with a little push to it. I"m a mutt.

cdaigle
Jun 16 2005, 09:33 PM
The basket IS your friend

Jun 17 2005, 12:27 PM
I've been trying something like a combination of a push/pitch putt, and think I need to work on a spin putt(something that takes a more direct line) If I'm outside of 15' my putts are either too high and long or too short. Any suggestions for changing over to a "better" putting style?

james_mccaine
Jun 17 2005, 12:52 PM
No matter what putting sytle one has, mechanics are still critical. In other words, there is no style that doesn't require the putter to perform it consistently for it to work. That being said, you should look for a style that is easy to repeat; that is easier than your current style to repeat when under stress (when you are unfocused); and that limits the negatives when you do not perform it properly.

My observations (probably from reading on this and similar topics) are to choose a style that has some loft. This will limit the negative effects of your misses. I would also look for a style that limits the required biomechanics or the amount of levers involved. The more levers, the more timing is critical. The more timing is critical, the more mistakes will occur, especially under stress. Lastly, I would choose a style that can be triggered (or understood by the performer) with an easy to perform weight shift, preferably with the legs.

Jun 17 2005, 01:21 PM
When unfocused (just walk up and putt) it generally has more spin and less loft than when I think about it, that's a reason I say I need to change my style, another reason is because a 2 putt cost me my tag last night.

discgolfreview
Jun 17 2005, 04:58 PM
) If I'm outside of 15' my putts are either too high and long or too short. Any suggestions for changing over to a "better" putting style?

if your only problems are missing high/low, i wouldn't recommend changing styles. imo, it's a lot easier to correct high/low than to correct chronic pulls/pushes. if you have the line but not the distance dialled in, sounds like you just need practice.

Jun 18 2005, 12:27 AM
Blake, you are the man and your suggestions have helped a lot, but with my putting...if there's any wind, my putts are really squirly, i'm 2 putting way too often, i'm rarely comfortable enough to "go for it" from even 20 or 25 feet...sorry, all reasons that i'm thinking of switching over, or at least trying it for a few rounds.

quickdisc
Jun 19 2005, 09:00 PM
Get Hypnotized !!!!!!! Works everytime !!!!! :eek: