kostar
Apr 07 2005, 11:36 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) -- If Congress passes an energy bill, Americans may see more daylight-saving time.

Lawmakers crafting energy legislation approved an amendment Wednesday to extend daylight-saving time by two months, having it start on the last Sunday in March and end on the last Sunday in November.

That's awsome.

jeterdawg
Apr 07 2005, 12:03 PM
Link to cnn:
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html)

Awesome news. That's an exta month of golf a year! (November gets dark pretty early without it...but still might help!)

Apr 07 2005, 01:51 PM
otoh, early morning rounds will be awfully dark. :D
i thought dalight savings time was enacted so kids waiting at bus-stops in the morning wouldn't be in the dark :confused:

rhett
Apr 07 2005, 01:58 PM
Nope. Because it gets light about an hour before they get to the bus stops when DST kicks in. :)

That might be the reason why it isn't year-round, though.

ck34
Apr 07 2005, 02:05 PM
I've heard proposals where they would shift the whole clock in the U.S. forward an hour yearround then still have Daylight Savings Time in the same time frame as today. So normally it would be plus 1hr and plus 2hrs in summer. Lots of league light then.

james_mccaine
Apr 07 2005, 02:09 PM
What will they do about the lost hour. How will I make it back? :p

Apr 07 2005, 02:17 PM
You know James, what is truly sad to even think about is that some people truly want to know the answer to that question :confused: :D

Apr 07 2005, 02:26 PM
I've heard proposals where they would shift the whole clock in the U.S. forward an hour yearround then still have Daylight Savings Time in the same time frame as today. So normally it would be plus 1hr and plus 2hrs in summer. Lots of league light then.

Why doesn't everybody just agree to get up and go to work an hour earlier? (and two hours earlier in the summer?) Changing the clock isn't fooling anyone, is it? :D

Apr 07 2005, 03:15 PM
i thought dalight savings time was enacted so kids waiting at bus-stops in the morning wouldn't be in the dark :confused:

it was originally enacted so that the farmers would have an extra hour to work the fields in the evening rather than at 5 am. do a google search for "daylight saving time" and you'll find the history.

Apr 07 2005, 04:09 PM
Dude take your own advice and look it up. Farmers are some of the most vocal OPPONENTS to DST and its origin had nothing to do with them. Man I love the internet. I'm surprised Ron or Felix or Chuck hasn't corrected you yet. :D

ck34
Apr 07 2005, 04:11 PM
The "powerful" drive-in movie lobby is also against it.

jeterdawg
Apr 07 2005, 04:14 PM
You can thank Ben Franklin for DST. He proposed it as a way to shift the schedule of a day's work to converge with the shift in sunrise/sunset throughout the year. Also, when the US enacted it, it was used to save energy during times when the days were longer (so that it would be light out longer). Also, it was thought of as being "safer" outside when light out; traffic-wise, crime-wise, finding your disc-wise, etc. It really had nothing to do with farmers when enacted by US legislation.

I agree that everyone should just adjust their sleeping schedule and wake up for work so that at the end of the day there are 2-4 hours of light left so we can all play a round or two of golf!

rhett
Apr 07 2005, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Franklin proposed it as a joke. It was many many many years later when it was actually adopted.

ck34
Apr 07 2005, 04:25 PM
Just getting up earlier doesn't change other timing elements of the place you live such as prime time television times. In the Central Time Zone it still starts at 7pm whether CST or CDT. True story is that this is a key reason I have always lived in the Central Time Zone since I left home 30 years ago. When I was job hunting coming out of college, I had offers to work as a Chem.E. at plants in both Central and Eastern Time Zones. I went to Dupont in Orange, TX partly because it was Central time. I knew that I would always want to stay up and watch Johnny Carson. It started at 11:30 in Eastern and 10:30 in Central and the late shows still do. Work in the morning started at the same time each place. Central time meant more sleep and it still holds true today.

Apr 07 2005, 04:43 PM
You guys are crazy can't you see it is all a government conspiracy ?!?! I mean dont you think it is kinda odd that no one seems to know the true origin of DST??? This stuff is all privileged information, similar to Area 51.

You see the government put together this plan to take away an hour off peoples lives once per year. Once they have collected enough hours they add those hours to the lives of the richest 1% of americans. This all ties in to the vampire myth. Vampires are actually the richest 1% of americans, they have expanded life, they dont live forever as the movies would have you believe. I mean who else could afford those snazzy coffins, sweet mansions and castles, and wear those top of the line threads?? Why else would one region of the US NOT have DST.....it is becasue that is where the richest 1% of vampi......errrr Americans actually live to aviod hours getting taken from them.

It is all there for you to see you just have to open your eyes people.

james_mccaine
Apr 07 2005, 05:12 PM
Yeah, those east coasters get screwed. Do they really have the evening news at 11 and all the late college games on at midnight, AND STILL have to get up for work by 8. I just assumed that if you lived in eastern time, you worked 9-6.

jeterdawg
Apr 07 2005, 05:15 PM
Maybe Ben Franklin's idea of DST was perceived as a joke (like all his other ideas), but it's true that he did technically invent it, and also that the government did not enact it until like the '60's, after they did studies that showed it would be safer, save energy, etc. like I said above.

I'd love it if they extended it 2 months, or like Chuck said, adjust the entire country by 1 hour and still keep it at the same schedule. Either way, that means more golf! I suggest that instead of messing with time, they mess with the Earth's rotational spin so that every day the sun rises at 7 am and sets at 10 pm. That way there's plenty of night time to sleep and plenty of daylight to work and golf.

Your response did crack me up though, Scott!

Apr 07 2005, 05:28 PM
Jeterdawg, you mean to tell me that it is the year 2005 and you still believe in gravity????

Don't let them tell you that you are being pulled to the ground by some crazy force , that is what they want you to believe. In truth what they dont want you to know is that you are really being pushed down. I havent gotten the full details on why they are making people believe it is a pull but clearly it is a push. Once I have gone to the other side of the world and figured out the toilet bowl flushing thing then you can mark my words, I will expose this conspiracy. It's just a matter of time.

my_hero
Apr 07 2005, 06:22 PM
Will this have any effect on the sidereal rate? I finally have it perfectly tuned, and now this........ :confused: :D

Apr 08 2005, 01:05 AM
In Ecuador (or anywhere near the equator) there is no difference in how long days are. Each day has the sunrise about 6am and the sun sets about 6pm.

Apr 08 2005, 01:22 AM
I guess the ideal scenario is to go south of the equator when it is winter in the US -- and go to Alaska or Norway during the summer. If you really like daylight that is and have something against the dark :D

why not just get lighting installed at all disc golf courses and talk the parks into staying open 24-7? Then we can play at night when it is cool. The mosquitos will welcome us :D

NEngle
Apr 08 2005, 09:34 AM

it was originally enacted so that the farmers would have an extra hour to work the fields in the evening rather than at 5 am. do a google search for "daylight saving time" and you'll find the history.

Farmers work from sun-up to sun-down, no matter what the clock says.

circle_2
Apr 08 2005, 01:36 PM
In Ecuador (or anywhere near the equator) there is no difference in how long days are. Each day has the sunrise about 6am and the sun sets about 6pm.

True dat, mostly...they 'max' at 12 hours of daylight...thus the equinox(es). Equinoxi?? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Apr 19 2005, 01:09 PM

True dat, mostly...they 'max' at 12 hours of daylight...thus the equinox(es). Equinoxi?? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Most equatorial regions get about 13++ hours of daylight
every day of the year, even tho the sun is 'officially'
up for just a little over 12 hours.

The sun is a DISC (as it appears to us), not a dot, so if any edge is in bounds (above horizon) it all counts as good...sound familiar???

And it is not an On/Off switch, more like a dimmer with over 30 minutes of civil twilight at each end of the day.
And it is not balanced at the equator, look at that figure
8 (analemma) on a globe, that is the overhead sun track vs.
time and latitude. Between the tilt of the earth and the
eccentricity of the orbit, the equinoxi do not even cut
our year in half. The sun is north of eq about 186 days,
and south about 179 days each year.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html
if you actually care. You can generate sun and moon tables
for a whole year quickly and easily for any location.

Apr 19 2005, 06:04 PM
I always though they still retained DST as an energy savings thing and so we could all barbeque an hour longer.