jlcouser
Apr 06 2005, 01:04 PM
Any good tips for the lefty?

junnila
Apr 06 2005, 01:22 PM
Yep, learn a forehand...

circle_2
Apr 06 2005, 01:25 PM
My left hand is only good for holding my fork while I cut my steak. http://madisc.org/discus/clipart/proud.gif

ryangwillim
Apr 06 2005, 01:28 PM
Any good tips for the lefty?

Practice right handed.

dave_marchant
Apr 06 2005, 01:34 PM
I throw lefty and I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous!

sandalman
Apr 06 2005, 02:13 PM
1) many holes people call "lefty holes" are really righty holes. and vice versa. the longer the hole gets, the more likely this is true.

2) learn a 100' annie, a 200' annie, and a 300' annie.

3) if you play in an area that has eliminated the 2MR, look for lefty hyzers lines that no one has thought of before, and bomb away at the canopy above the pin.

4) become a course designer and pay back the righties for all the cheesy holes you suffered through.

jlcouser
Apr 06 2005, 03:09 PM
I am a beginer can you explain more on the annie

Parkntwoputt
Apr 06 2005, 03:16 PM
annie = disc golfer slang for anhyzer = slang for outside edge of disc pointed up when released. For a left handed player this would cause the disc to turn to the left. For the right handed player the disc would be turning to the right.

Hyzer = outside edge down. Left handed player disc turns to the right, right handed player disc turns to the left.

This is all with a back hand throw. Reverse directions for sidearm/forehand.

bfunkyp
Apr 06 2005, 03:20 PM
I know a lefty who can bomb drives LHBH, and can also throw with his right hand, but only forehand. If I was him, I would learn how to spin the disc the other direction.

Annie = Anhyzer. Anhyzer is when you release the disc with the outside edge above the realease point.
If throwing a disc flat was equal to --
Anhyzer for a Left hand back hand throw woudl be /
I would check out www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) for a good description of all dg terms.

Apr 06 2005, 03:32 PM
I am a righty that can throw like 350 lefty backhand and let me tell u it is good to be ambidextrious! :D

Apr 06 2005, 03:58 PM
When I first started playing I had a buddy who threw both backhand and sidearm with both arms. He would line up a shot and then spend some time trying to figure out which hand and which method. Think of Ed Norton trying to make a similar decision and Ralph Cramden finally exploding, "Norton, will you just throw the darn shot!" and you have the picture of how it would often be out on the course when playing with him. The other great thing was that if the shot went awry, he would immediately conclude that it was because he had thrown it the wrong way, so he would agonize even more trying to figure out which different method to use for the next shot, which was often just as bad a shot, which would then of course lead him to spend even more time agonizing over the next shot, pantomiming all his different arms swings, etc., even more than previously, which of course made the rest of us even more nuts. But it was fun...

:D

klemrock
Apr 06 2005, 04:01 PM
Learning different distance anhyzers is good advice!
A controlled burn is irreplaceable once you learn it.
Try using lighter discs or discs with lower stability ratings.

Also, with tomahawks (overhand throwing), you can flip the discs's direction for hyzers and anhyzers.

cbdiscpimp
Apr 06 2005, 04:05 PM
I am a righty that can throw like 350 lefty backhand and let me tell u it is good to be ambidextrious!

What he didnt tell you is that he can only throw spikes hyzers and drives in WIDE OPEN FIELDS with his left hand :eek: ;)

jlcouser
Apr 06 2005, 04:05 PM
I am ok at throwing backhand it just the side arm shots i can't
throw. Please help with side arm for lefty.

cbdiscpimp
Apr 06 2005, 04:12 PM
There are just some shots that a righty anhyzer just CANT reach that a left hyzer CAN. There are also holes that a righty anhyzer is perfect for and a left hyzer CANT reach. These two shots are not perfectly interchangeable (sp?) They have alot of common ground but having a great right anhyzer is not the same as having a great lefty hyzer and vise versa. I would say a lefty Hyser is perfectly interchangable with a righty forehand but thats a whole other topic. I suggest learning a righty anyhyzer and a righty forehand :D

sandalman
Apr 06 2005, 05:32 PM
i should have used the term "turnover" instead of "annie". the definitions provided above for annie are basically correct. what i meant to say though was to learn those distances with a turnover shot.

by turnover i mean a shot that fades to your left (assuming you are lefty throwing backhand).

as you progress you will find that such a shot can be acheived regardless of the hyzer/anhyzer disc angle on the release. the key is the disc itself.

i will usually determine how the final segment of the flight needs to be shaped and let that determination dictate the disc to use and the angle of its release. if i am looking for a right fade at the end of a left turnover shot, then i'll use a stable disc thrown with seom annie. but if i want a long continuous straight glide all the way to the ground i will go with a less stable disc and probably throw it flat or with some hyzer.

this prolly has you head spinning faster than your discs. dont worry, it will become clear enough very quickly.

btw, i am lefty. best advice i can give regarding any particular shot is that the mechanics are identical regardless of which hand you use. just read this board and translate all the tips into leftiness.

jlcouser
Apr 06 2005, 06:06 PM
hey i really appreciate the info it helps alot.
if you come up with any more advice my ears are wide open

ryangwillim
Apr 06 2005, 06:30 PM
You are from Nashville, TN?
Dang, you should have put your post up two weeks ago.

I'm lefthanded and I just got back from Nashville yesterday!

If you get a chance, go play Cedar Hills disc golf course, it is about 5 minutes west off of the 65 just north of Nashville. Also Sanders Ferry in Hendersonville is a great course.

My friend who lives in Gallatin is also lefthanded, it is really fun playing in a group of 3 or more lefties, no two lefties have the same throwing style and it is very interesting to see the all the different routes taken.

rhett
Apr 06 2005, 06:43 PM
I played a tourney once where it was 3 lefties and me on the card. Didn't do me much good to keep ending up BOB. :)

Apr 06 2005, 07:45 PM
First, you're going to want to pick up a good set of left handed discs. They might cost a bit more but will pay off on the course. ;-)

Second, be prepared to take the road less travelled. I am a very enthusiastic proponent and pioneer of alternative routes. When you've got a strong lefty hyzer, sometimes a sinister path will be available to you that to the dexterous would be unthinkable.

Thirdly and finally, get some under-stable stuff that does the turning over for you. I find that it is easier to let the plastic do the work of anhyzering rather than trying to force something to hold an ani- line.

greenbeard
Apr 07 2005, 06:04 PM
1. putt til you puke
2. get a good forehand shot
3. putt some more

morgan
Apr 08 2005, 09:05 AM
I throw lefty and I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous!

Your right hand? I thought it was right arm.

So, why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.