bfunkyp
Apr 04 2005, 12:18 AM
I know that practice makes perfect, but looking for a little boost.

I have been working on my forehand drives and my thumb always feels like it isn't doing what it is should be.

Should the thumb....

be on the flight place? If so where?

be on the edge of the rim pinching the disc?

be doing whatever feels right?

Thanks

Apr 04 2005, 12:37 AM
I think it makes a bit of a difference what you are doing with you fingers under the rim - right? I've only been playing for about a year so keep that in mind when you're reading what I'm about to say...

I can sidearm a champ beast about 270 - 320' (so long as I release it right with a touch of anhyzer). I have my index and middle finger fanned out under the rim making a big peace sign. I place my thumb directly over my middle finger and pinch it hard because the inside rim of my disc rolls off of my middle finger. My thumb isn't right on the edge of the disc but just a little off. Personally, the biggest issue I have is getting my [*****] brain to release the thing with the right amount of pitch. In other words, I release it with the nose too high or too low.

I am going to bet there is someone out there with better advice and whatever but that's my .02 worth.

-DaveB

morgan
Apr 04 2005, 03:44 AM
the thumb doesnt matter just grip it and flip it.

Apr 04 2005, 04:53 AM
just took this.. this is how i hold the disc for a sidearm shot. Taken mostly from the stokely Ebook as best as i could remember it.
either He or another article suggested to get the disc really deep in the webbing between the thumb and pointer finger.

http://www.centxdglove.com/uploads/flick2.jpg

-Scott Lewis

Apr 04 2005, 10:25 AM
I too, Thank you for the great picture. I have been holding the disc completly wrong with my thumb in front of the fingers. Hopefully this will help a lot of people.

bfunkyp
Apr 04 2005, 12:42 PM
a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thank you very much.

Apr 04 2005, 04:34 PM
I went to a Stokley clinic a few years ago and the sidearm grip he showed then is a little different from the picture. he showed me to put my index finger on the rim and then my middle finger over my index finger with the tip touching the inside of the rim. both fingers have to be bent for this to happen. Then your thumb will be all the way on the top of the disc pointing toward the center of the disc. If I had my camera on me I'd take a picture of it.

mikeP
Apr 04 2005, 05:44 PM
Forehand grip is so elusive...I have observed maybe 5 players in my life, both competetive and recreationally, that had a perfect energy transfer on their forehand release. It seems like all of the rest of us get a bit of off-axis torpue which gums things up quite a bit when trying to throw multiple lines/discs predictably. Field practice is probably the only ultimate solution, but it would be cool if a real forehand guru could share some tips on the smooth release. When I say smooth I'm talking the ability to throw the Leopard on a line 300'+. To do this you would need nearly flawless form, but I have seen it done.

circle_2
Apr 04 2005, 06:59 PM
Oh, if only Chris Hysell threw Leopards...http://madisc.org/discus/clipart/proud.gif

my_hero
Apr 04 2005, 07:42 PM
(Spoken in TX slang)

He don't need no stinkin Leopard!

geomy
Apr 05 2005, 03:06 PM
When I started playing, I used sidearm almost exclusively. My form and technique have changed since then, and currnetly I use only my index finger pressed tight inside the rim, the middle knuckle of my middle finger supporting the flange of the rim, and my thumb pinched close to the edge. None of the people I play with throw this way, but they are still impresed when I throw 350'. Whatever you find to be the most comfortable, I say throw it.

Apr 21 2005, 01:10 AM
The thumb is definitely important for throwing sidearms for distance. On a good snap, i can throw a sidearm about 420'. I use the "peace sign" grip, with my thumb between the index and middle, just inside the rim. My thumb is pressed hard, making the disc flex.

Your chin should go from shoulder to shoulder, just like your swinging for a hard line drive. Keep your shoulders square. Dropping your back shoulder will make you hyzer out alot sooner than you should. Your hips should swivel, opening up to generate power. A brand new CE Eagle or CE Firebird can be thrown with hynezer for maximum distance.

Apr 21 2005, 04:36 AM
bum brings up somethign i jsut started wondering today about the sidearm grip, do most of the people who throw big D press down on the flight plate pretty hard with their thumb? This seems like the only way to get a tight enough grip for a big throw.

Apr 22 2005, 03:58 AM
Your chin should go from shoulder to shoulder, just like your swinging for a hard line drive.

Here is the gem ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your grip needs to be secure for you. I use my first 2
fingers under the rim working as one, with the thumb firmly
over the top. My grip comes all along the thumb, not just
the thumb pad.

Get the disc deep into the thumb joint/web, open the
wrist so it has range of motion when you snap it.

rotating the hips thru the shoulders is the key for me
to generate whatever D I can find.