Apr 01 2005, 10:24 AM
I keep hearing people use the term "flippy" to describe the flight characteristics of some discs and it got me to wondering... What the H3LL does flippy mean, and is there some place where glofers not up with the vernacular can catch up?

Apr 01 2005, 10:51 AM
You can catch up on your vocab at your local course and play with the people whom rec players call "disc snobs". LOL, or just someone who as been playing for a while and is fairly competitively good.

Flippy refers to the tendnancy of the disc to go from a hyzer release to an anhyzer flight rather quickly. It is synomous with turnover, but rather then have a nice slow turn, the disc if not thrown with enough hyzer, will land on its right (RHBH) edge and roll.

Thats flippy. Examples of flippy discs by nature...
Leopard
Beat up Valkrie
Sidewinder
Stingray
Cobra
Express
(Flash for Big Arms)
Breeze
Glide
Beat up Roc/Buzzz

I am sure there are countless others, these are just the ones that came to my head right now.

Apr 02 2005, 12:14 AM
I feel exactly the same...Espcially about the term "spike hyzer." I guess it means making a high-arching throw with a ton of hyzer at release - is that right?

Yeah, it would be really nice if we could get a dictionary or something going because there are a lot of terms I'm not sure of either. Many of the "glossaries" on online disc stores are rather incomplete. Oh-well, if I think of any other terms that mystify me I'll post them here.

-DaveB

Apr 02 2005, 12:36 AM
I've been playing for a few years, and there's still a few types of throws that I'm still not sure what they are:
Sky Roller: isn't that kinda contradictory?
Scooby: I'm still not sure where he's at :cool:

Apr 02 2005, 12:45 AM
A spike hyzer is when you throw a disc very high, almost vertical and let it take the crazy deep ascent at the target. It's a great shot for going up and over things at somewhat close ranges. A sky roller is a roll shot you throw in which you get it up in the air initially before getting it rolling. Other rollers hit the ground a lot quicker and don't have much of an in-flight component.

ck34
Apr 02 2005, 12:53 AM
Sky Roller is just a roller that's released with a very high arch (toward the sky) rather than more straight ahead, usually so the disc goes farther before landing to clear ground in front of the lie that has bushes, asphalt, water, mud, rough ground, etc.

I played with Scott Stokely as a random dubs partner once and he threw a sky roller that traveled over 300 feet before landing.

Apr 02 2005, 01:10 AM
Not a bad partner to randomly draw.

Apr 02 2005, 01:37 AM
A scooby is a great question.. I still have no idea what it is..I thought i did, but then again i don't think i do... I always thought it was like throwing a tomahawk that you want to skip before it flexes back over.. it would then get distance and ihave a crazy skip... can be quite a useful shot..
I"m probably wrong though!

-Scott Lewis

morgan
Apr 02 2005, 07:36 AM
I heard Stokeley is drawing partners a different way now, and I don't mean with a pencil.

Blarg
Apr 02 2005, 08:22 AM
A scooby flies mostly upside down. Thrown like a tomahawk, but severely tilted.

Apr 02 2005, 10:51 AM
My worse problem is some pdescribe "stable" one way and others another way.They can't all be
right. someone described a Firebird as "very stable".That can't be right. I threw my firebird on the dump because as soon as I released it,it started curving hard and the faded harder with it sometimes even coming back toward me.

Apr 02 2005, 02:48 PM
Some people don't use the word overstable. Just stable and understable. The other thing is stability is in the eye of the beholder. If someone flips over every disc besides max weight mosters and crushes, a firebird might seem like a straight flyer to them, specially if the firebird was light or beaten when they were using it. I know i've used a beaten firebird and it flew like a long distance roc (very stable). but the disc was beaten to hell. Compared to other discs, i would say firebird is overstable though.

rob
Apr 02 2005, 03:21 PM
Stability refers to the disc flying straight for the majority of its flight, when thrown flat. Understable discs will fade/ turn right (RHBH) when thrown flat. Overstable discs will turn left quicker/ sharper. Nearly all discs will fade to the left when they slow down d/t the direction of spin. When a disc is traveling at very high speeds or into the wind, it's meeting more resistance, and has a tendency to fade/ turn to the right (turn over/ flip). So, while the higher speed/ head wind makes the disc turn to the right, a overstable disc counters by turning left, and you end up with a straight flight, stable discs can fade/ turn over, and understable discs turn over into rollers. While certain discs fit into each catagory, you must find which discs work for you and the way you throw. That's why a disc that you may find way overstable, is just stable for someone else. Hope this helps.

Apr 02 2005, 06:03 PM
While in the definitions thread I think it'd be good to point out that typically "Fade" describes the turning left (for RHBH) motion that happens at the end/slow portion of a discs flight. If a disc is released fast enough at the end, its flight will start in the low speed portion and fade left right away.

Understable discs do not "Fade" right. They "flip" or "turnover" to the right when going faster than their cruise speed. If they flip over or turn too much during the high speed portion of their flight, they will go into the ground before they get the chance to slow down and fade to the left.

When there is a headwind (wind coming towards you), air is going over the surface of the disc, similarly to as if the disc were just traveling faster.

The discs do fade to the left because of the direction of spin, but they also turnover to the right because of the direction of spin. It has to do with the spin making air go over the two sides of the disc differently. As the disc goes too slow, the left side isn't getting enough lift so the left side of the disc drops and makes the disc go left, as the disc goes faster the left side gets more lift and it rises higher than the right side and the disc turns to the right. That is the limit of my understanding of high speed turn and low speed fade.

Apr 02 2005, 08:30 PM
Just curios if anyone ever does an abbreviated approach " spike " shot. I have been playing for 7 months now and from 100ft. in I found this shot to be the most accurate with a open pin placement.
I have used it the first day I picked up a Disc as it is very natural to me. All the Pros I have played with never use it. On their upshots within 100ft. they take full backswing shots. They see my shot and are impressed with the ease and accuracy I throw it.

Basically, on an approach upshot I DO NOT move my arm back
across my chest. I take an abbreviated swing where the wrist and fist come straight into the middle of the chest and straight out in release . The stance of the body is with the face,chest , and toes directly facing the basket !!
It flies a definite hyzer pattern but with practice it can really make it easy to get up and down from 100ft or in.

Anyone else use this technique ??

P.S. The more it gets over 100ft. I do actually make the backswing go more across my chest to get more leveraged speed. But the release of the arm is still nearly going straight out from the chest
And the body still directly facing the basket !!

Apr 02 2005, 09:21 PM
Now there's another term that baffles me: upshot. Is it as simple as an uphill approach shot or what?

Apr 02 2005, 10:41 PM
Now there's another term that baffles me: upshot. Is it as simple as an uphill approach shot or what?

An approach is any throw made from off the teepad that is intended to put one on the green or within putting range, regardless of the length or difficulty of the subsequent putt). An upshot is an approach that leaves one with a gimme putt. Cf. bolf, "up and down" - to put in the hole in two shots, the first of which is taken from off the green," e.g., a chip, pitch, or sand shot ("up" on the green) followed by a single putt to complete the hole ("down").

[visibility off]
Yeah, right. And Bill Clinton never had sex with that woman.

"Upshot," usually abbreviated "up," is a sarcastic term calling attention to a male competitor's manhood (or lack thereof) and his need to grow a pair. It is used when a competitor simply pitches his approach up under the basket rather than taking a legitimate run at the basket and risking a long come-backer to save par.Also used when a competitor's putt comes up short and fails to draw metal. The proper usage is, "Nice up, [pause] wuss*." The first two words are spoken out loud; the last is mumbled under one's breath. :D

*substitute term of choice
[visibility on]

Apr 02 2005, 11:33 PM
Yeah, so true for newbies and even probably some experience players. My first two months I was guilty of this "wuss" upshot. I was just trying tomake a Par. But now that my Putting has improved thru time I go for it on those 30 footers.

If you don't try and go for it , will never improve your score. :cool:

Apr 03 2005, 01:16 AM
I have seen people do this "abreviated" shot without the hyzer for putting...and it also sounds similar to a short pitch putt, like the one Blake uses and has an article on at discgolfreview.com, but his starts from the waist area and don't think has any hyzer.