Mar 26 2005, 02:17 AM
I am having issues with where my weight is on my drives. It seems to be behind my pivot foot. Any suggestions as to how to get my weight more over my pivot foot? I have decent distance now, but I believe if I can get my weight placed better it would help me get a more nose down throw, and potentially more distance.

Thank in advance.

Mar 26 2005, 10:17 AM
hrm..
Well first you need to make sure that you actually don't have your weight over your plant foot..
here is a group of pictures of one of my horrible drives.. Even though my body isn't in front of my plant foot my body weight definately is moving forward and i don't have any problems with the disc going in the air or anything like that:
http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=340747&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

ARe you saying that your weight isn't in front of your plantfoot because Your drives are going in the air and not forward?
or are you just not throwing that far?

a few things you could try would be:
A smaller last step.. that way you can actually bring your weight with your forward momentum and get your weight over your plant foot instead of creating an upward vector. IF you see the pros some of them have HUGE last steps, but they also compensate by leaning to the right which eliminates upward vectors.. I wouldn't recommend this.
Schweberger has a great run up.. Nice and smooth and he gets his weight forward very quickly.

also try and practice getting a solid forward follow through kindof like climo how he looks like he's gonna fall over!

-Scott Lewis

Mar 26 2005, 12:12 PM
My weight is back in my runup, so occasionally I have a nose up throw that angers me. I have decent snap and and fairly strong, so I can compensate for it and still throw 360+ when I throw the disc flat.

Just trying to get that little extra distance I am missing. I am going to try the suggestion of a shorter last step, sounds like the easiest thing to do to fix this quickly as it is a little late to be messing with my drives if I want to try and compete in any tournies.

Thanks for the help

Tbranch
Mar 26 2005, 12:52 PM
My weight is back in my runup, so occasionally I have a nose up throw that angers me. I have decent snap and and fairly strong, so I can compensate for it and still throw 360+ when I throw the disc flat.

Just trying to get that little extra distance I am missing. I am going to try the suggestion of a shorter last step, sounds like the easiest thing to do to fix this quickly as it is a little late to be messing with my drives if I want to try and compete in any tournies.

Thanks for the help

You aren't following through with your body. After you throw follow around with your non throwing hand and point to the target... this will help your body follow through. Don't change anything and just sort of do it after you release. Just let that non throwing arm swing around after you're done and point to the target. It'll work and it'll help get your weight out on that front foot.

-tB

esalazar
Mar 26 2005, 03:16 PM
well put TB i will try that as well!!

Mar 27 2005, 04:31 AM
My throw is getting better, but there area couple things I'm not exactly clear on. One is power from the lower body. I understand why you want to get power from the lower body, but not exactly how you go about doing so. This is my latest line of thought and would like to know if it sounds right.

When your weight is on your left foot before it transfers to your right foot, is the time when you start leading with your hips. Cause you're sorta leaning backwards, making your feet and hips closer to the basket than the rest of your body, hence leading with them. Then as you step to your right foot your balance is going forward so your upper body is catching up to the legs and hips. And during your follow through your upper body is falling over/forward because of the weight transfer. So the throw is like (when weight is on the left foot) "\" (then when the disc is ripping out and weight is on top of the right foot) "l" (then during the follow through you're falling over) "/". So the weight transfer is like like this \-l-/ . (the bottom of the sticks being hte feet, the middle being the hips, and the top being the head, shoulders, and arm.)

So my question is... Is this leaning motion and weight transfer the way in which you are able to rotate the hips before you start the pull? Or are the two concepts unrelated in that sense.