Mar 23 2005, 07:54 PM
Okay, here's the situation. 551 ft. hole, wide open fairway, just like an open field. What's the right height to throw your driver for distance? I've been throwing orc's and experiementing with height and release points, and can't seem to find the best. The max height of my drives on these type of holes always seems to be 20-30 feet off the ground, but I still get good distance. Would more distance be possible if thrown lower, and does anything within the approach and release change to release lower?

ryangwillim
Mar 23 2005, 07:58 PM
With an Orc, and no wind, I would guess that 15-25 feet would be optimal in regards to distancia. I would also suggest throwing a flex shot, not a hyzer, more power, less effort.

Mar 23 2005, 08:49 PM
Roller?

discgolfreview
Mar 24 2005, 01:47 AM
optimal height varies a lot by disc. older drivers will require more height than newer ones. i can say to break 500' you are going to need at least 25' of height regardless of disc.

a disc like a teebird, eagle, etc. are going to need 40-50' of height.
every orc throw i've seen break 500 was 25-35' high.

optimally, good height for max D = however high you can throw and still have the disc carry nose down through the turnover.

so to answer your question, throwing lower won't make 551' more viable. most players that have golf D > 450' get a lot of lift on their drives without actively trying to throw higher.

i will second pete's comment about if it's raw D you are after, a roller is going to get there best :)

Mar 24 2005, 06:34 PM
I only throw around 400' but I use an Illusion which lets me throw really low (10-15'). When I used to throw DX Teebirds for distance, i had to throw them about 30-35' to get out to 400'.

Mar 24 2005, 07:31 PM
thanks for the advice, and the roller idea for this hole. Now, any advice to a newbie roller thrower? I've experimented, and can't seem to get it right. I have tried with sidewinders and stingrays. Any tips?

Mar 24 2005, 08:47 PM
Now, any advice to a newbie roller thrower? I've experimented, and can't seem to get it right. I have tried with sidewinders and stingrays. Any tips?

i would recommend learning to throw both a forehand and backhand roller. i use ce firebirds and z wildcats for forehand rollers (depending on headwind vs no wind/tailwind), and i found this roller to be much easier to learn, since all you really have to do is focus on a spot you want the disc to land and then crank on it (being careful only not to turn it over too much). backhand rollers are my weakest shot, so i can't give you much advice except going to a field and throwing turnover shots with a sidewinder, then progressively trying to get it onto the ground earlier and earlier. it's just something you have to get a feel for, along with a disc you are confident throwing.

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 12:56 AM
Okay, here's the situation. 551 ft. hole, wide open fairway, just like an open field. What's the right height to throw your driver for distance? I've been throwing orc's and experiementing with height and release points, and can't seem to find the best. The max height of my drives on these type of holes always seems to be 20-30 feet off the ground, but I still get good distance. Would more distance be possible if thrown lower, and does anything within the approach and release change to release lower?

First off, how far can you throw regardless of height?

Mar 25 2005, 01:03 AM
I can regularly drive between 400-450. can't seem to push anymore out. this is regardless of height. but on these open holes, and this one imparticular, my throws tend to go up in the air a little more, sometimes resulting in loss of distance.

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 01:04 AM
What are you throwing that is going 450?

Mar 25 2005, 01:14 AM
Right now i'm throwin orc's and beasta mainly for the open holes. I've been trying the new dx orcs, and pro orcs. usually 167-171 weights, for my max D. And dx beasts, 168-170. The dx beasts, pro orcs, and champ orcs are the only ones that consistently fly that far for me.

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 01:16 AM
Are you a member of the PDGA?

Mar 25 2005, 01:19 AM
no, not yet. i've been thinking about it. I'm just really getting into serious tournaments starting this april.

Mar 25 2005, 01:23 AM
just keep it as low as possible

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 01:23 AM
cool. I would say to use your champion orc and throw 10' off the ground...Throw a hyzer flip, if you are throwing 450', you have the power to get to 500' with a hyzer flip...and don't listen to anyone with a rating below 920 :D

Mar 25 2005, 01:29 AM
500 ft. is definately possible, but are you serious, just 10' off the ground? I understand how hyzer flips work, and I will agree that they give more distance, but when I thrown a hyzer flip it's usually 15-20 feet off the ground. will 10' off the ground make the big difference?

Mar 25 2005, 01:32 AM
cool. I would say to use your champion orc and throw 10' off the ground...Throw a hyzer flip, if you are throwing 450', you have the power to get to 500' with a hyzer flip...and don't listen to anyone with a rating below 920 :D

I think that people have a misperception of how high they are really throwing the disc on a long drive. With the new high speed drivers: Orc, Beast, Crush, Flash, etc they perform better around 6-10ft off the ground. I work in a warehouse where I have to go up to the top racks at 26.5ft off the ground, trust me if these guys were throwing their Orcs that high without some serious anhyzer, it would stall out and fall to the left.

All those discs fly the best leaving the arm flat and straight.

PS. Don't listen to anyone from Hawaii, they are spoiled by the weather, and it messes with their heads, they think that ratings actually mean something.

Mar 25 2005, 01:34 AM
I think Dirty is saying with a smooth release 10 ft. off the ground you can easily throw 450+, especially if
but on these open holes, and this one imparticular, my throws tend to go up in the air a little more, sometimes resulting in loss of distance.

Just throw a little lower and the disc will rise slightly while hyzerflipping, which will give you max distance and a great shot everytime /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 01:40 AM

PS. Don't listen to anyone from Hawaii, they are spoiled by the weather, and it messes with their heads, they think that ratings actually mean something.

I'm not from Hawaii kook boy...and all you did was regurgitate my post...and ratings do mean something :o

Mar 25 2005, 09:28 AM

I'm not from Hawaii kook boy...and all you did was regurgitate my post...and ratings do mean something :o

Hawaii, California, Florida...yada yada yada, all places are spoiled by great weather pretty much year round.

Will you be in Bowling Green? If so, my 865 ***** will look behind me and wave if I can see you back there.

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 11:16 AM
ha ha ha

Mar 25 2005, 11:24 AM
Good, I am glad you can find jest in discussion board conversation, so many people take things WAY too seriously.

I know my strengths and weakness in disc golf. Throwing far is a strength of mine, 450ft after 7 months of playing is a good feat in my eyes. My weakness is my mental game, I am a good player but if something goes wrong I have a difficult time recovering. So I will never give people advice about mental strength. This is also why I placed SO poorly in my last tournament. I was nailing everything from inside the circle, missed 1 putt <30ft the entire 4 rounds. But my mental game was lacking and I was having difficulty hitting these 5-8ft wide fairways in the tight woods I was playing in, forcing me to take 3's where my competition was taking 2's. It was a painful weekend.

You never answered my question though...will you be in BG or maybe even San Saba?

ANHYZER
Mar 25 2005, 11:26 AM
Can't make it...Wife gave me a choice of Bowling Green or Hawaii...What would you do? :D

Moderator005
Mar 25 2005, 11:31 AM
I think that people have a misperception of how high they are really throwing the disc on a long drive. With the new high speed drivers: Orc, Beast, Crush, Flash, etc they perform better around 6-10ft off the ground. I work in a warehouse where I have to go up to the top racks at 26.5ft off the ground, trust me if these guys were throwing their Orcs that high without some serious anhyzer, it would stall out and fall to the left.

I couldn't agree more; people really tend to overestimate vertical height. We run into the same thing in course design when people think that their "huge 50-foot hill" are sometimes surprised to find that it's far less than that.

Anybody that says they are throwing a disc 30 feet or more off the ground is probably overestimating, unless it's a beginner throwing a rainbow drive that stalls out and flies only 100 feet.

Mar 25 2005, 11:34 AM
I had that same choice, I understand. Except for me it was the Michiana Open and Brad Hambrick. Or get married and go to Mexico on the honeymoon.

Maybe next year I will be at those tournaments. Domestic bliss is something I value.

ryangwillim
Mar 25 2005, 04:33 PM

Hawaii, California, Florida...yada yada yada, all places are spoiled by great weather pretty much year round.

Will you be in Bowling Green? If so, my 865 ***** will look behind me and wave if I can see you back there.

Dave won't be there, but I'll be representing him in the BGO, so I will kick your �ss for him. How's that sound?

ryangwillim
Mar 25 2005, 04:36 PM
:)

(forgot my smiley, don't want u to think I am being a jerk)

morgan
Mar 25 2005, 06:42 PM
The perfect height to throw it is so it has a height of zero when it hits the ground.

circle_2
Mar 25 2005, 08:37 PM
The perfect height to throw it is so it has a height of zero when it hits the ground.

That's difficult to do when you're either above or below sea level. http://www.madisc.org/discus/clipart/proud.gif