Feb 23 2005, 12:43 AM
I'm a left handed thrower whose disc usually fade to the right, but randomly even after playing everyday for a month my disc randomly starts fading to the left. I'm not aware of changing my throwing technique or doing anything differently but have no clue why this happens. Does anyone have an explanation?

packfan
Feb 23 2005, 12:51 AM
The more you spin the disc, the more it will go to the left (for a left hander). You've probably started getting more snap on your throws.

packfan
Feb 23 2005, 12:52 AM
Also, throwing into a headwind will turn your disc over and get it to go left.

Feb 23 2005, 03:01 AM
I'm a left handed thrower whose disc usually fade to the right, but randomly even after playing everyday for a month my disc randomly starts fading to the left. I'm not aware of changing my throwing technique or doing anything differently but have no clue why this happens. Does anyone have an explanation?

this might sound like a smart-[*****] answer (which it is not intended to be), but if you're playing every day for a month, there's a chance your discs are getting beat up if they are not premium plastic. a beat-up disc is the #1 cause of understability that even your technique cannot completely compensate for. the wind and the snap could be other culprits, however.

sandalman
Feb 23 2005, 11:00 AM
the more spin you have the LESS LESS LESS turnover occurs (all other things being equal)

note to question-askers: be careful with what you read on the board.

i'm lefty also, btw. altho that has nothing to do with why discs turn over.

there are a couple reasons a one month player could start experiencing this.

first, you may be starting to throw the disc faster. increased airspeed, especially without increased sp[in, will turn the disc.

second, you are probably starting to throw the disc flatter. by flat i mean that the leading edge and the trailing edge are in perfectly parallel to the flight flight plane. a disc thrown with the tail down will fade right (for a lefty). thats called a hyzer. most beginners throw with the nose up (tail down) - thats why the majority of their shots go up too high and then fade to their hyzer side.

all in all, having your disc turn left is a GREAT thing! you're prolly gaining confidence and throwing with more authority. that is giving your more speed and a flatter release. just keep up the good work, and try to get some control over it. that left fade will be invaluable - there's lots of holes designed by righties out there :cool:

dave_marchant
Feb 23 2005, 11:37 AM
Not to be nit-picky with your choice of words here, but most folks (including the manufacturers) describe the flight of the disc in 2 parts: the high speed portion and the low speed portion at the end of the flight as the disc loses velocity and spin.

It is usually the low speed portion of the flight that is refered to as 'fade'.

The high speed portion is described by the 'stability' of the disc. A 'stable' disc will fly straight when thrown level and at the speed the disc is designed to be thrown at. For a LHBH thrower, an 'understable' disc will turn over (or go into the left hand turn - 'fade' as you called it. Opposite for RHBH). An 'overstable' disc will never turn over but will tend to curve to the right (LHBH) during its high speed portion of the flight.

All discs thrown LHBH will fade to the right at the end of their flight if given the chance to lose velocity before hitting the ground. When you turnover a disc too much (by using a way understable disc or throwing with a lot of anhyzer - right edge higher than left edge for LHBH) and it never has the chance to slowdown and fade right, it will land on edge and 'cut roll' back to the right. If it starts fading back right but lands flat before it starts 'dive bombing' to the right, you have a very desirable shot since you have successfully executed a right-to-left throw that is often needed on the course.

Feb 24 2005, 02:40 AM
www.discgolfreview.com (http://www.discgolfreview.com) has good articles explaining flight characteristics too. As mp3 said, your disc is turning to the left during the high speed portion of its flight (basically the first half of the flight). The second half of the flight would be the low speed fade portion where the disc fades to the right like you're used to. If it you are saying the disc turns to the left without going back to the right, it probably means the discs flight is cut short by hitting the ground. If it were thrown high enough it would fade back right.

The amount the disc will turn to the left during the highspeed portion of the flight is dependent on many things. The mold of the disc you are using (valkrye, leopard,orc, etc), the weight of the disc, the type of plastic the disc is, (dx, pro, champion, etc) the amount of wear the disc has, ( how bent the rim is and how many scrapes and notches are in the disc), the speed at which you're throwing your disc, how clean your release is, and if the nose (side of disc that is pointing at where the disc is going) is pointing up or down - all affect the amount the disc will turn to the left for you.

Generally speaking, A understable mold, light weight disc, that is worn, and in a less durable plastic will be most likely to turn left. Higher speeds, sloppier releases, that are nose down will make the disc turn left also.

Chances are the two factors making your disc turn to the left is that you're throwing faster and the disc is probably more worn. Also if you had a sloppier release the disc would turn left more.

Spin does not make a disc turn left or right more, spin increases the stability of the disc in flight. Which means the more spin you put on the disc the longer the disc will hold the orientation of which you released it.

Feb 28 2005, 09:32 PM
What type of disc are you throwing?

Mar 15 2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'd also think it's because the discs are getting beat up and now flying understable. Or it could also be becuase of throwing into a headwind.