Feb 15 2005, 10:57 PM
You read it here over and over. Stretch, Stretch, Stretch. Does anybody have a site or can explain what are good stretches to prepare for a round?

Feb 16 2005, 12:08 AM
Stretch slowly...don't bounce around in your stretch position and hold the stretch for at least 10 seconds

Feb 16 2005, 12:25 AM
You know this really sounds like a question for the Great Bixby. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Feb 16 2005, 10:48 AM
It sounds like something a woman whold post.

Feb 16 2005, 03:11 PM
You know this really sounds like a question for the Great Bixby. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

where's Bixby? :eek:

Feb 16 2005, 03:35 PM
Considering he is from Texas I figured you would not give a rattz azzz. Mmmmmmm anyone remember that post?

Feb 16 2005, 03:36 PM
Considering he is from Texas I figured you would not give a rattz azzz. Mmmmmmm anyone remember that post?

Grunion, play nice. :D

gang4010
Feb 16 2005, 03:45 PM
Stretching is one of those things that everyone knows is essential - and very few people do. As you get a little older - all it will take to convince you is one little tweak to your back or hamstring.

My recommendation is to concentrate stretching on your legs and lower back. These are the source for your power and stamina throughout the day.

Stretch #1 Feet a little more than shoulder width apart - and put your palms flat on the ground. Work your reach forward and back until it's easy. Gradually spread your feet apart and repeat. Try your best to lock your knees. Vary the stretch by reaching for the sky, make your torso go in a big circle - this will help stretch both your lower back and your legs.

Stretch #2 Sit with one leg outstretched and the opposite foot face against your inner thigh. Reach for your toes - good stretch for the hamstrings. Take a different reach by placing the elbow on the inside of the outstretched leg and place it against that knee. This will force your torso to turn a bit - then reach upwards with your opposite hand and again reach for your toe - this will stretch your hips and lower back. Switch legs and repeat the opposite way.

Stretch #3 - Lie on your back and bring one heel up to your *****. Take the other foot and put it up on the raised knee. Reach behind the raised knee and gently lift/pull that leg toward you. This is an amazing stretch for your hips and lower back.

Getting your arms and shoulders loose is best achieved by a game of catch!! Gets the blood flowing and the throwing muscles loosened up without having to throw hard out of the box.

Sorry - typed this quickly so I apologize if these descriptions are unclear. Hope that helps a bit.

Craiger

klemrock
Feb 16 2005, 03:59 PM
Good advice, Craig.
I also need to stretch my neck and shoulders, especially after staying in a hotel. To do this, rotate your head side to side slowly, stretching a little more each time. This seems to reduce the amount of neck strain I experience.

It is also important to RE-stretch before the second round in a tourney. Lunchbreaks can be long and you might eat too much in between rounds, so getting loose before resuming play is just as necessary.

Feb 18 2005, 12:08 AM
I use a hockey stick. Lay it on my shoulders and drape my hands over each end, like I was in the stocks. Slowly twist at the waist, looking left, then right. This loosens up the lower back as well as the shoulders. After that a few 50ft. tosses and I'm ready to go.

Feb 18 2005, 01:43 AM
Stretching before you are warmed up can cause injuries. It might be hard to believe for those that know me, but I have been doing stretching three times a day for the past two years or so and have been able to give up going to the chiropractor because of it.

I like to play catch or throw a half dozen or so drives at 50% and then do some stretching. I've seen better articles but the following article explains a bit about the warm-up first and then stretch idea. On the other hand it is a REALLY good idea to stretch after playing...something I am trying to get better at doing on a regular basis. Mayo clinic article about stretching with an emphasis on warming up before stretching. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=HQ01447)

esalazar
Feb 18 2005, 09:26 AM
interesting!!!! nice article!! now to get myself to do this!! :D:D

Feb 18 2005, 01:15 PM
great article...
and i've always stretched before warming up, and never after a round, shows how much I know :D

Feb 18 2005, 02:42 PM
Good find on the article.

One thing I like to do is take two or three discs and rotate your shoulder in the throwing plane, sort of like taking warm up swings with a weighted bat. I stretch both shoulders, legs, and back. Although I may have to add a 5 minute jog beforehand.
Shoulders: 1)Pull on the elbow toward the chin. Repeat pulling elbow more to stomach 2) Put your arm against a solid object and stretch the chest muscles.
Legs: 1) Touch toes (stretches low back also), 2) Elevate one leg at a time and stretch the hams good, 3)pull ankle behind you (quad stretch), 4) running stretch (deep lunge, good for the hips) and similar side to side which stretches the groin muscles.
End with twists w/ or w/o hockey stick.

Feb 18 2005, 03:15 PM
Wish I would've read that yesterday...threw my arm out after stretching, and now im out at least til the weekend. :(

greenbeard
Feb 18 2005, 05:38 PM
My stretching routine consists of chasing a live chicken with a five iron, and when it's dead, I'm ready to throw.

Feb 18 2005, 09:17 PM
:mad:That was my chicken! :mad:

Feb 18 2005, 09:21 PM
:mad:That was my chicken! :mad:

He whacked your chicken? :eek: :D

greenbeard
Feb 18 2005, 09:58 PM
I forgot to mention the naked-and-covered-in-chicken-blood voodoo dance for a better score on the #2 tee box

Feb 18 2005, 10:09 PM
I forgot to mention the naked-and-covered-in-chicken-blood voodoo dance for a better score on the #2 tee box

Why do you wait for hole 2?

greenbeard
Feb 18 2005, 10:27 PM
because I f?cking hate hole 2 :mad:

Feb 18 2005, 10:32 PM
I am sure you getting naked is a nice insult to the hole, so I guess you got your revenge. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif