Feb 14 2005, 07:22 PM
Can anyone please tell me if or how points are awarded in sanctioned Doubles play? I have sent numerous emails to PDGA people and have gotten nowhere. I was told that there are no points awarded, but was just double checking. I am playing in a double tournament soon and it would sweeten the deal if points were awarded.

ck34
Feb 14 2005, 07:26 PM
Points are awarded. The easy way to see is just look at any number of sanctioned doubles events in 2004 where the points are shown. No ratings are calculated, however, since the scores involve both players.

jconnell
Feb 14 2005, 07:27 PM
Points are awarded on the same scale as in singles play. You and your partner each get the same amount of points. In calculations, each team counts as one, so if you beat three teams, you get 3 X whatever the points factor is for that tier and division.

The only sanctioned doubles events you do not get points for are Majors like Am and Pro World Doubles (San Saba) and Mixed Doubles at Worlds.

--Josh

Feb 15 2005, 12:56 PM
So the points we get do not go toward our PDGA rating.

ck34
Feb 15 2005, 01:02 PM
There is no connection between points and ratings. You earn points for how many players or teams you beat in your division times a multiplier that is larger the higher the division you enter. Your rating for each round is based on how well you personally shoot versus the rating of the course. So that can only be calculated when you are playing singles, not doubles or match play.

Mar 23 2005, 03:57 PM
I have been mistaken. Maybe I didn't phrase my question to the PDGA office correctly. I had asked about points and ratings, and was told that points were not awarded. Now I'm confused. I'll e-mail the office and tour manager again. I'll share what I find out. Later. --Marc

FYI: It's my event that Floppy was referring to, so I guess I better get my facts straight. It's Double Trouble, April 23/24.

Mar 24 2005, 11:33 PM
I've heard back from the PDGA office. I had already changed my tourney announcements on the nearby message boards, having faith in the knowledgeable people who were posting here. Anyways, here's a copy of the response:

Marc

Thanks for your email. Points are awarded at Team Events but its a little complex. Note out of 600+ PDGA events last year, only one was a team event so we are not losing any sleep over team event points. Ive attached the results from the 2004 Can Am Cup event so you can see how points were calculated. Before 2004, Team events also had to be entered manually in the database so I do not have an excel file of the last Sandy Point Team Event in Wisconsin to share with you.

Regards
Brian Hoeniger
Executive Director

And the Excel file shows this (http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=4267#Open).

And here's a bit more of an explanation (sent in by Floppy)

Points are awarded in a doubles tournament for every player that you tie or beat excluding your partner but including yourself.
David Gentry
PDGA Tour Manager

So I'm glad I got straightened out. It still puzzles me though, that there are practically never any sanctioned doubles events. Thanks Brian! Thanks everybody.

NEngle
Mar 27 2005, 11:20 PM
Marc, there are tons of sactioned doubles events, but not many team events. There's a difference.

Mar 28 2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks Nick. Yeah, I knew that. Really, I did. I'm thinking too fast for my brain. Those darned dancing mice are driving me mad!