Feb 11 2005, 12:49 AM
With the story threads beginning to get popular I thought I might start one. I know Bixby could probably give us a nice volume of great shots he has pulled out of his spandex covered [*****] but looking for real stories.

Lucky... while playing a very short downhill whole a newby I was playing with smacked the very first tree in front of the tee box. The disc caught an edge and rolled all the way down the hill and actually smacked the pole and fell over flat. Most interesting park job I ever saw.

Unlucky. Was playing a round with a friend and he had a bogey putt to win the hole. (The hole is 500+ so 4 is respectable.) Anyways, his putt hits center of the chains, falls out, catches an edge and rolls all the way down the hill into the creek. A putt that hit center chains that should have been a 4 ended up being a 7.

Unlucky... playing in my first Ice Bowl I put my approach beyond the hole about 20 feet in the bushes. I hit the basket and it rolls back down on my putt to my feet. Repeat the putt, hit chains and it returns again. Took me my 4th putt to make it from almost the identical spot. Thank go my putting has gotten better than that by now.

Feb 11 2005, 01:27 AM
I have one for ya.....
It was the "new" #2 @ Rotary in WV. Downhill through some pines, tee shot was decent, but left a difficult second shot about 100' or so. I needed a left to right shot and being mostly a RHBH thrower I decicded to try a sidearm to come from behind the large pine I had parked behind. I had my dogs leash (with dog attached) in my left and he was tugging trying to go for a squirrel, I pulled back (the disc) and flung my Sniper toward the pin. As soon as it left my hand, I knew that I would never thorow the sidearm again. The disc came out low, real low, as I cursed under my breath. The disc hit the needle covered ground and sprang into the air with a B-line for the chains. (Insert Ching sound Here) Wahooo. Everyone watching was shaking thier heads in disbelief, except me, I was wahooing.

Feb 11 2005, 01:31 AM
So ya During the Can-Am finals. hole NUmber 1 at V.A Barrie. prob 280. with the basket being on top of a hill with water directly behind it. i put my drive about 70 feet to the left and por b20 feet short. i toss my putter to lay it up hits a tree rolls back to me. same shot hits the basket rolls down the hill into the water. from the edge i putt. hits the top of the basket. rolls 30 feet out into the fairway
then i laid it up and finsihed the hole

Feb 11 2005, 01:42 AM
Lucky: Elevated teebox on a 360ft hole with large 15ft bushes guarding the pin, big hyzer route over it. I take out a "found" 160g Valkrie of a friends, throw a huge hyzer and smack the number plate of the basket. This excites my buddy so much he worm burns it. I say that since it was not my disc I had to throw again. After trying unsuccessfully talk me out of throwing again my buddy watches as I take an Orc, throw the same route and hit the basket.

Unlucky: 370ft downhill straight shot with the basket 3 feet from the cliff of a small creek. (Same course, different days). Take out a roc and throw a large sweeping s-curve, the disc flies about 3 inches from the chains, and lands in the water. I am left with a 10ft uphill putt, it hits the top of the chains and rolls 10ft away. I miss my next putt by hitting the basket and rolling another 10ft in the other direction. Thankfully I end up making that putt to end up with a circle 5 on a hole I almost aced.

circle_2
Feb 11 2005, 01:14 PM
I was a witness to this lucky one: The first tourney that DX Valkyries were available to the public we were told they were 'overstable' as in in-between an Eagle and a Banshee :confused:...and they were part of our player's pak. A dude on my card selected a lighter one and then threw it into a raging Northern headwind on our first initial tourney throw on hole #18 (medium position) @ Rosedale in KC. The Valk immediately flipped into a roller and he proceeded to park a 454' hole with a light/flippy disc into the wind...WOW!

Feb 11 2005, 01:33 PM
i threw a shot that hit a tree it got stuck,just before i got there it fell out and landed on a portable bbq of a family the was using the tree for shade.the guy pulled my disc off his bbq fliped it over put some meat on it and said "alls you had to do was ask" and "have a nice day" /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

WOW :eek:

if got my disc back and got to eat all on the same hole :D

Feb 11 2005, 01:45 PM
I was playing a temp course in the Quad Cities (IL) and the shot was a short 250-275 ft hole. It had a huge gaping sand pit from the tee to about 20 ft short of the pin. I threw a shot headed straight for the pin but it got stuck in a tree overlying the sand pit. Since the pit was almost completely vertical, it was over the two-meter rule. I got up to my lie and it was a blind shot and I was losing footing in the sand. Another guy I was playing with rang the chains to show where the basket was. I threw a tomahawk and nailed the chains for a circle 3. Interesting hole.

Tbranch
Feb 11 2005, 01:48 PM
My first year playing pro and I was at the upper midwest team challange. The Michigan team thought it would be fun to make me the #1 seed so I was playing some top pro's.

I was in a match with Barry Shultz and ended up tying him. The tie came because I had a putt balance on the rim of the basket.... pretty lucky.

Feb 11 2005, 01:57 PM
Now that is an awesome story. Wish there was a camera around.

tafe
Feb 11 2005, 02:19 PM
I'm playing a temp hole during a tourney in Olympia Fields at the beginning of the year. For the first time ever my disc gets stuck in a tree above two meters. WAY above, like 60 feet or so. It's my first run Q Omega w/ Zonedriven stamp. There is NO way I am leaving it. So I start to look at the tree to see if I can climb it later and then notice that it's one of those thorn trees with thorns sticking out of the trunk long enough to go THRU any hands or feet that attempt to climb it. As I stand there trying to resign myself to the fact that I just lost one of my most favorite-hard to replace discs, the wind starts howling and the disc gets loose and falls to my feet. I hadn't thrown yet either!

slowmo_1
Feb 11 2005, 02:25 PM
ok, here I go...

Unlucky... hole is 156 ft, easy birdie hole. I hit 3 trees in route to taking a 5.

Lucky... still ****** so much that my face is red from taking that ugly 5 I step to the next hole (225 ft) grab my putter and just chuck it without even much looking and record my first Ace ever!

Cdale600
Feb 11 2005, 03:26 PM
Just for the record if you go OB you can rethrow from the same spot. Usefull if you doink a gimme that rolls 100' away into water. You still take the penalty stroke of course.

Lucky: Wall Doxey #15. Hole is 300' downhill slight curve to the left. Have to shoot through a 15' gap 30' off the teebox. I hit the first tree off the box to the left about 8' in front with just a slight nick that deflects it back onto the perfect line to go through the 15' gap and float down the fairway.

Unlucky: Bud Hill #14 downhill 280' or so with pond on the right about 15' from the basket. Skips off the top of the basket and flies 100' from the pin across a ditch and into a field on the left. Faced with a long uphill putt with a pond 15' behind and sloping down from the pin after almost aceing. The grass used to be long on the left in that field and I've lost 3 discs in it while only losing a couple to the water.

oxalate
Feb 11 2005, 04:21 PM
My doubles partner this past weekend at the Peru, IN Ice Bowl made one of the luckiest putts I have witnessed. It was hole #10 at Maconaquah Park. We were taking my drive which was 40-45 feet short due to hitting a tree (his was long and at the bottom of a hill). The fairway is flat until about 10-15 feet before the basket and then drops off steeply. The basket is nestled amongst some trees on the hillside.

My partner putts first and it is really low and looks like it will settle right under the basket. However, after the disc slips below the slope and out of view from the fairway, it catches a root on the hillside and kicks the putt right into the basket.

Two holes later I hit dead center chains on a basket that I am putting from 30 feet away and straight down the hillside. Of course, this "good" putt bounced right back out.
Nothing quite like disc golf karma!!

Nelly
Feb 12 2005, 08:32 PM
Unlucky:
In a two hole playoff: Missing a 10 ft. putt in the Arkansas State Doubles for the Am. Championship. 36 holes no bogies, until that playoff hole.

Luckiest:
Playing 9 hole Johnson Road Park in Memphis, hitting my first ace ever one hole 5(231ft.) Made the turn & on hole 2(or 11) I hit ace #2. So hole 5 CHIIIINGGG!!, then 6 holes later, CHIIIINGGG!!

nel

Feb 12 2005, 09:04 PM
at the 03 octoberfriz i threw at the wrong target and aced the correct one. crazy stuff. :)

jconnell
Feb 13 2005, 12:12 AM
at the 03 octoberfriz i threw at the wrong target and aced the correct one. crazy stuff.

Don't know if I would have admitted aiming at the wrong basket. 'Course I don't know the course, maybe it's hard to hide the fact you were aiming the wrong way.

Anyway, some of my lucky shots...

Match play event at an ancient course, a lot of baskets on the downside of their existence. I was putting for deuce and a tie after my opponent nailed a long putt. I throw and as soon as I release, I know it's low. I look down in disgust and curse at myself. As I'm wallowing in self-pity, a spectator says "it stuck!". I look up and there's my putter, wedged. Seems one of the welds holding the bottom of the tray to the side had come loose and my disc got stuck right where the weld should have been. Unfortunately I went on to lose the match, but that putt stretched the match an extra hole.

A month or so before that event, I was playing a tournament with the same guy as above, this time at the course he owns. He and I were neck and neck for the lead as we teed off on hole 14 (I think)...a wooded 450-foot hole that doglegs left before ending with a quick right turn around a stand of trees. My drive turned over and rolled out into some deep schule, so I could only pitch out to the fairway, leaving about 150 feet to the pin. On my third shot, I was just trying to throw a straight shot that would hyzer-out around the trees and settle near the basket. The shot looked good, but then it smacked a tree that I thought was about 30-40 feet short of where I wanted to make the turn. Just as I was about to groan in disgust, my disc caroomed of the tree at a 90 degree angle and carried 50 feet right into the chains. The other guy took a five, then 4-ed the next hole while I deuced and I was on my way to victory.

One more lucky shot...a few years ago, I was trying to lay up from about 60 feet to a wide open green on a very windy day. I tossed my putter softly on a gentle hyzer line aiming to have it fall under the basket. The wind kicked up and got under the disc, lifting it high in the air. It looked to be about 10 feet above the basket and headed way past it. Then the wind just died. And the disc fell straight down, bounced on the bottom of the tray, and settled into the chains.

Just a few lucky shots...I think everyone could probably come up with a dozen.

--Josh

Feb 13 2005, 03:10 AM
Don't know if I would have admitted aiming at the wrong basket. 'Course I don't know the course, maybe it's hard to hide the fact you were aiming the wrong way.

the actual basket was down hill to the right hidden by tall grass. the basket i thought we were headed to was down the hill to the left in open sight. since then i've gotten much more serious about playing and will ALWAYS play the course at least one time before the tournament :D

Feb 14 2005, 05:43 PM
I had similar thing happen to me at Shilito Park in KY. Was teeing off @ I believe 11 and the fairway goes perpindicular to the 10th fairway, I was trying to lay just inside the tree line and nothing but chains, in the 10th basket. I called it my first, and only ace. It was rather humorous.

Feb 23 2005, 09:48 PM
Lucky: Hole 7 at my home course here in Green Bay. Its around 240' give or take. I throw my yellow DX Roc...looks good the whole way. It was a bit high and got caught in the overhanging tree limbs and dropped into the basket for an ace. Probably my sweetest ace! I aced the hole again a month later, but that was a boring straight in ace, with you guessed it, a DX Roc. :cool:

packfan
Feb 23 2005, 10:14 PM
I was playing Hot Supher Springs course here in Colorado for the first time. I had dropped my wife off to teach skiing at Winter Park and went to check out the course. There was still plenty of snow on the ground, and nobody else there, so I had to try to find my way around by myself. I had played the first 2 holes just fine, and then had a little trouble finding the third tee. I finally found it, and saw a basket about 500 feet out, with trees about 250 feet out on each side of the fairway. I wanted to turn my Beast over, and then let it 's' out to get as far as I could through the opening in the trees, but my disk just turned over. I was kinda swearing at myself as I watched the disk turn over and go behind a tree on the right, when I heard the sound of chains. I picked up my bag and ran up there and found out I had been looking at the basket for 4, and had aced the basket for 3 without even knowing it was there!! :eek:

Feb 23 2005, 10:44 PM
hole 9 at war memorial park here in ponca constantly ticks me off! i've had literally 100's of ace runs on this hole but have yet to hit it. thers a little branch about 10 foot in front of the bucket that has useually been the cause of the disc not hitting metal :(

Feb 24 2005, 02:04 PM
I've had two really lucky shots:

During my first round ever, I was about 100 feet out, going for a 3 on a 260 foot hole...I threw my putter wayyyyy right, about 50 feet right of the pin, when it struck a tree and ricocheted right into the basket.

I've had an ace, but I wonder how many of you would think an ace on a dead straight, slightly downhill 205' hole would be considerd lucky...I do though.

Unluckiest shot:

Playing in the King of the Courses tourney last year in Columbus...I was 6 feet away from the basket, I tossed the disc at the chains...it hit the chains...fell into the basket, and then promptly bounced off the bottom and landed just on the ground outside the basket.

Fortunately, it didn't cost me my next to last place showing in the tourney.

jefferson
Feb 24 2005, 02:27 PM
Unluckiest Shot(s): playing in a tourney during the windiest conditions i will ever play in (30-40 mph sustained, 60 mph gusts), i was on a 330ft hole, flat with high grass. after laying up, i had a 8-10 ft putt for a good 3. normally no problem, but the wind was making these putts amazingly difficult. i chose to putt with my firebird (which i was using on every shot) dead center of the chains, it proceeded to cut through and roll 30 ft away OB. 3 to a circle 6. very next hole, more difficult, probably around 600 ft. i was 4 ft away for a 5, and instead of risking another cut-through, i decided to try and dunk the firebird this time. as i reached to put it over the rim, a strong gust blew it out of my hand and rolled it 100 ft away. 5 to a 7.

Luckiest Shot: 1st ace was on a downhill 200 ft hole in woods. threw my jaguar way left, glanced off a tree perfectly redirecting it into the chains.

Plankeye
Feb 24 2005, 02:36 PM
keepin' it real with a jaguar

Plankeye
Feb 24 2005, 02:48 PM
r_j: what course were you talking about with those winds?

leftysidearm
Feb 24 2005, 02:51 PM
luckest shot: Hole #15 at Reedy Creek in Charlotte. My first shot tags a tree and goes down the hill on the left, second shot hits another tree 50 feet in front (no love for me to get on the fairway). Third shot finally makes it onto the fairway but I'm still at least 150-175 feet away. Fourth shot, 3 options: hook in from the left, straight on or hook in from the right. Hook in from the right with a proline beast and proceed to hit all chains and stick the landing. Missed one little tree by at an inch and i still cant believe it made it around. What a beautiful 4.

eddie_ogburn
Feb 24 2005, 03:00 PM
Played in a tournament where you play 3 rounds on a short original course and then 2 rounds on an alternate course. I was -11 coming into the last hole of the last round on the short course. I had not bogeyed the whole time or in the previous two rounds. I drain my 15ft. putt for three and proceeded to pick up my mini. As I bend down I see my putter fall out of the side of the basket where it had been bent. Took my only 4. Worst luck ever.

Feb 24 2005, 03:55 PM
So I am out playing Twin Parks Country Club and I am about 10-15 feet from the basket and I am putting for par and I release the disc. I watch it hit the chains and start to go in when I reached down to pick up my marker and I heard a kaplunk,,,I look up and there's my disc,,,,laying on the ground!! It had actually gone in and around the chains to come right back out. I thought I was in the twilight zone!! It was very amusing for Laura,,,BUT not me!!! :mad: I laughed so hard about it after b/c it was just one of those days for me!! :DI love this sport!!! :D:p

bambam
Feb 24 2005, 04:08 PM
Early last year at the Lake course in Lewisville, during the Saturday mini, I watched a guy on my card throw his drive on hole 11, which is about 390 ft., mostly flat, with OB all the way down the left side... oh, and there is OB directly behind the teepad, as well :D

It was a pretty windy day. His drive skips OB about 310-320 ft down the fairway, catches an edge, and proceeds to roll ever so slowly along the road, until it ends up about 60 ft. BEHIND 11's teepad, IB on the other side of the street next to hole 5's teepad, where he threw his second shot from. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Feb 24 2005, 04:15 PM
No limit, had the same thing happen at Circle C in Austin. Hole #2 is a annie tunnel drive over a birm, about maybe 250ft. Big oaks protect the basket from both sides.

Being that I can't really throw annies very accurately, I take the risky hyzer route to the pin.

Disc comes in hard and stops on a dime right in the trees...

"@#[email protected][email protected]@$, a bogey on the second hole! This day is already sucking.

Disc falls out of the tree and lands in the basket.

First ace, on New Years Day this year.

Feb 25 2005, 12:28 PM
Luckiest: With a few holes left in a PDGA tournament, I get a terrible case of griplock; my disc goes about 20 yards to the right of my line, and gets stuck up a tree. It looks like I'm not going to have much of a shot to even save a circle-4. The next player to drive does exactly the same thing; my disc gets knocked out of the tree by his, and rolls into the fairway. I save par, and get my only PDGA win, by 1 shot.

Plankeye
Feb 25 2005, 12:30 PM
I was the player that knocked his disc down.

Feb 25 2005, 01:26 PM
I almost put that in there, but you change your screen name so often, I'm not sure anyone would have known who I was talking about...

Plankeye
Feb 25 2005, 02:18 PM
Eh. it has only been 3 name changes...most people still call me plankeye or TTheCheaTT

Feb 26 2005, 10:45 AM
Unlucky: Illinois states 2000. Pured a straight 260 hole with my sm roc. It hits the chains so slow, i couldn't have set it in there hardly any softer. Hits every chain on the way through, teeters on the back rim for 5-6 seconds, and trickles out. Friggin ancient mach 2's!!!! Shoulda had a share of that gargantuan ace pool.

Unlucky:Playing at Rock Island course in Illinois in '99. A guy on my tee hits the rim of the basket on his drive on this 190' straight uphill shot. Well being uphill and no grass really to speak of, it begins to roll down the hill back at us. I mean this thing was MOVIN"!!! It ends up rolling out of bounds in the road about 150 FEET behind the tee, not good. From a 1 to a 6 just like that. :p

Lucky: Last throw of an ace toss off at a tourney(about a 250' throw). I was standing at the basket collecting discs when "Website" let go of his gummy ***** spider. As it got closer it was looking pretty good, but wind bounced low at the last minute. No matter, it just wedged in the tray for a cool $150. :eek:

Plankeye
Feb 26 2005, 12:10 PM
Unluckiest: I was putting for a 2 on hole 11 at Buckhorn after putting my drive from the long pad 20 feet short. The disc landed on top of the basket. I let everyone putt out hoping that someone would hit the basket hard enough to knock my disc down into the basket, but alas no luck. I went up to mark under the basket and as soon as I do I hear ching and I look up and my disc had fallen into the basket....most depressing 3 ever :(

hazard
Feb 27 2005, 12:10 AM
Not sure what my unluckiest would be. My luckiest is almost definitely one of these two, you be the judge:

Cedar Hills, Raleigh, hole 12, random doubles, June 29 last year. Fairly straight, not very long hole from the Am pad. I threw a QMS. I shanked it, way high and curving to the right, headed more or less for the next tee pad, but up into a lot of leafy trees, so I was thinking if it made it through I'd be on the path and wouldn't have too bad a shot back, no birdie certainly but an easy par.

The disc then reappeared falling out of those trees at a 45 degree angle and crashed into the basket.

The other one: Buckhorn #11, a few weeks ago. This hole runs along the edge of a lake; the obvious shot from the amateuar pad is a straight RHBH off the tee a little way out over the water that will fade back to shore at the end and reach the green.

I griplocked.

I also threw with WAY too much hyzer.

The disc went through a narrow fork (narrow enough it could not have fit if it were flying level) about 15 feet up in a tree about 20 feet off the tee pad and maybe 15 degrees to the right of the line I was aiming for and sails out over the water. I lost sight of it behind the tree and then had trouble spotting it again agains the cloudy sky until it was close to the end of its flight when I realized that it actually had a good chance of getting back to dry land. I did not realize until we got to the green that it apparently had a chance of winding up five feet from the hole.

I swear I should have lost that disc.

Actually I also had one lucky one a while back that I skipped off an iced over pond...I guess I deserved to lose that one even more, because even if it wasn't what I meant to do the line at Buckhorn would have been perfectly valid if it weren't for that tree.

jefferson
Feb 28 2005, 01:48 PM
r_j: what course were you talking about with those winds?

richlands - Coastal Plains Winter Open 2003

TravisGrindle12
Feb 28 2005, 11:04 PM
My first Alamance county Pro/Am I flicked a x-clone and it nips a tree as its passing . The "nip" sends the disc onto a limb towards the basket it rides the limb(schredding leaves as it goes) bending the limb down to the basket where the clone crahses chains.