Jan 27 2005, 05:13 AM
I was wondering what disc/weight you throw for a tomahawk. I'm currently throwing a 175g t-bird. I have played with a 175 monster but the t-bird works better for me. I have read that a lot of guys throw firebirds. I'm looking to get some more distance from my tomahaws as it is one of my favorite shots. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 27 2005, 05:30 AM
175g. firebird works best for me. If it's windy then my throw will still be affected but not as much as a lighter disc would be. Maybe another overstable disc with a smaller rim than the monster will give you a better release.

esalazar
Jan 27 2005, 08:51 AM
i throw high 160's fx's!!!

tbender
Jan 27 2005, 11:38 AM
Low 160's CE Eagles

Windy? 170 CE Eagle

Really Windy? 175 Pro Line Firebird

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 27 2005, 12:47 PM
Spirits are one of the fastest discs on the market (2nd probably only to Illusions) and I seem to be able to get those out there really far. They penetrate really good while upside down, and they make their turn almost in place, which is good b/c they almost land in line with where you threw it. Brand new they don't make the best placement tomohawk disc, but after a few rough landings they turn better.

SO...I'd say: Max Weight "E" Spirit

discgolfdog
Jan 27 2005, 01:15 PM
max weight Z-Flick

greenbeard
Jan 27 2005, 01:19 PM
175g candy firebird

superberry
Jan 27 2005, 03:20 PM
I've found that the flat profile and heavier ones provide a more consistent turnover flip.

Use a 174g Z Talon, it will flip great and withstand the abuse.

I also use my thumb under the rim (the underside of the disc facing my ear). With a RH throw, I aim about 20 feet left of where I want the disc to fall. As it flies, it turns upside down, then as it slows, it flips over and come back to the right (now with the underside facing the opposite way I threw it. Super-predictable!

bschweberger
Jan 28 2005, 11:51 AM
175 Champ Firebird

Jan 28 2005, 12:01 PM
max weight Firebird or Predator both work great.

marksout
Jan 28 2005, 12:04 PM
175 Champ Firebird

Considering he throws thumbers a country mile, I would say this is the best thumber option.

Jan 28 2005, 12:06 PM
just how far is a country mile?

veganray
Jan 28 2005, 12:12 PM
A bushel of city blocks. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DeafDGolfer
Jan 28 2005, 01:00 PM
i usually throw t bird 167 grams, more lighter, more farther, and more accurate

thinking of trying to use whippet , any comments of this disc??

North, South, West and East, May the Wind Gods Guide you
DeafDGolfer

Jeff_Peters
Jan 28 2005, 01:20 PM
I started throwing a DX 174g Whippett, then moved on to a 175g Pro-Line Monster, I'm now chucking a 175g Champion Monster. I'm thinking about giving the Firebird a try though.

Jeff_Peters
Jan 28 2005, 01:21 PM
Also, I have found the 10x KC Aviar Driver works well for those little short-range chucks. It's getting hard to find those discs now though.

Jroc
Jan 28 2005, 05:43 PM
Wow...I throw a 150 Valk or Dragon. Im really not a weakling, but it just kills my arm to throw a thumber with a heavy disc. I can barely get it to go over 200'. Its not a shot a go to much, but there are a few situations where it would be nice to throw one over 250'. Does your arm just have to build a tolerance to the shot, or are some people just not built to throw it very far?

DeafDGolfer
Jan 28 2005, 10:07 PM
yeah!! heavy discs does try to rip my arm off! For Years, I had gotten different weights down to 165 as my comfort zone. I usually throw up to 250'

May the Disc be with you
DeafDGolfer

mikeP
Jan 29 2005, 12:58 AM
This is a great topic. When I pull out my thumber it is usually to try and get up over some trees while still getting good distance. I personally cannot get a max weight Firebird up high and still get max distance. I use Champ Firebirds a few grams short of max because I can get them up high while still getting good distance. They hold a tight, straight line ending in line with the starting point. I can throw the heavy ones just as far, if I throw them on a lower line. Champion Banshees are also great thumber discs. They have the best feeling grip and because they are slower or less stable than a Firebird, I can throw max weight up high and get distance. They have a little more travel from side to side in their flight path than an Fbird and take a little longer (bad in wind). No other discs touch these two for thumbers. Here's why:

Anything less stable (Eagle, Talon, Tbird, ZXS, etc)--Turn less predictable and more dependent on wind conditions, harder throw means a different flight path.

Wide-rimmed drivers (Predator included)--These discs aside from being really difficult to get my thumb around, are too fast, burning through their turns too quickly sacraficing distance and they are even worse when throwing high, over the top shots.

Jeff_Peters
Jan 29 2005, 04:30 PM
Using my 175g Monster, I can get my tomahawk out there a consistent 250 -275', but I rarely ever use it in except for in the woods, where I can throw it all day long if needed. My home course in Christiansburg, VA has alot of tomahawk routes that I have found over the years.

Jan 29 2005, 11:23 PM
Also, I have found the 10x KC Aviar Driver works well for those little short-range chucks. It's getting hard to find those discs now though.

try the 11x aviars. they are nearly identical.

discchucker
Jan 30 2005, 02:15 PM
I find that a 171g Champion Firechicken or 171g 10x Whippet-X are the most accurate for me. I've also tried a 171g tsunami...but the sharp rim that is on mine just tore my thumb up.

Jan 30 2005, 03:18 PM
starfires....overhand shots are so nice with the starfire...if you throw it low it will prob roll...but if you throw it tall it will sit down nicely.......other than that firebirds and monsters cant go wrong.....

circle_2
Jan 30 2005, 05:37 PM
How is Discraft's new 'Flick' for overhand shots?

I'm wondering if the new Innova Sidewinder or a beat up Discraft Express would do a 'barrel-roll' a la th' Epic if thumbed hard enough with good conditions...ie wind, etc...?

esalazar
Jan 30 2005, 05:48 PM
what is the best disc and method fo r max distance thumbers?

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 06:15 PM

Max weight Champion Edition Firebirds. There is no substitute.

esalazar
Jan 30 2005, 06:25 PM

Max weight Champion Edition Firebirds. There is no substitute.

F's or fx's???? does it matter??

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 06:32 PM
the latest run that has come out, F's

esalazar
Jan 30 2005, 06:34 PM
the latest run that has come out, F's

latest run as in champion or last run ce?

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 07:00 PM
Champion.

esalazar
Jan 30 2005, 07:24 PM
i need to switch from my ce fx's!! **** rocks beat the hell out of my thumbers!! my first run fx is about wasted!! it flutters real bad and when thrown real high it will come back left!!

Jeff_Peters
Jan 30 2005, 07:37 PM
try the 11x aviars. they are nearly identical.

11x Aviar? I'm not familair with this one, could it be the new First-Run Pro Aviar your refering to? If so, I find that disc similar but not identical to the 10x Aviar Driver. Anyhoo, I found one on ebay the other day and got it for $15.00 though, so I'm happy.

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 07:37 PM
Newest Champion plastic is very durable.

flicknandkickn
Jan 30 2005, 08:35 PM
F-birds do it all.

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 08:41 PM
That is TTrue, I have puTTed with mine in certain situations.

flicknandkickn
Jan 30 2005, 08:52 PM
They're great on all second putts. :D

bschweberger
Jan 30 2005, 11:26 PM
True, but that is not the puTTs I was talking about.

Jan 31 2005, 05:19 PM
I use max weight Champion Eagle's for longer distance(around 300) and I use either a Banshee or Monster for shorter distances(250 or less). I find that the Banshee and Monster will turn right more than the Eagle which takes of some D, but it can be useful for getting around corners.

bschweberger
Jan 31 2005, 08:30 PM
It is all a maTTer of personal preference and arm speed. If that is what works for ya, use it.

Jeff_Peters
Jan 31 2005, 09:20 PM
Yea, the tomahawk is a good shot to have in the bag at some of these woodsy courses in Virgina, where I find myself sometimes playing around the gaps in the tops of the trees than the intended fairways. :D

bschweberger
Jan 31 2005, 09:55 PM
If you want to call them fairways. :eek: ;) :D:D

gnduke
Feb 01 2005, 01:25 AM
The also work well for shots through the trees.
Discs that are vertical don't tend to kick very far laterally from the trees they nick.

bschweberger
Feb 02 2005, 07:52 PM
Discs that are vertical don't tend to kick very far laterally from the trees they nick.

gnduke you are wise beyond your years.

esalazar
Feb 02 2005, 08:01 PM

and you can freak people out with that shot!!
freakin hilarious watching the expressions on there faces when you chunk a line drive and watch it do its thing!! :D:D

bschweberger
Feb 02 2005, 08:07 PM

freakin hilarious watching the expressions on there faces when you chunk a line drive and watch it do its thing!! :D:D

I know, it is funny to see the facial reactions when it curves it's way around the tree or trees you are just trying to miss. And parks itself right by the basket.

esalazar
Feb 02 2005, 08:11 PM

I know, it is funny to see the facial reactions when it curves it's way around the tree or trees you are just trying to miss. And parks itself right by the basket.

or when thrown hard into the ground and it rainbows left to right ace run!! every body on the card is like what the fu_ was that!! and i just smile !!

bschweberger
Feb 02 2005, 08:13 PM
I have yet to get a thumber ace.

esalazar
Feb 02 2005, 08:23 PM
got 2!!!!!!!1 was totally blind never played the hole before .we step up and try to figure out where the basket was , i throw my thumber over everything, bang!!!there it is!!!

bschweberger
Feb 02 2005, 08:32 PM
Nice, my boy Billy has 9 Thumber aces. 6 with the same FL

Feb 02 2005, 09:01 PM
Nice, my boy Billy has 9 Thumber aces. 6 with the same FL

Crump??? 6 out of 9 with the same disc is awesome. :D

Feb 02 2005, 09:04 PM
i don't throw the tomahawk very often, but when in need i throw my old green candy firebird, or its backup depending on the risk of landing in a tree.

greenbeard
Feb 02 2005, 09:16 PM

or when thrown hard into the ground and it rainbows left to right ace run!! every body on the card is like what the fu_ was that!! and i just smile !!

I've started throwing the line drive tomahawk in a few woodsy areas here at the Z, mostly on #1 when the pin is long... and yeah, I get the goofy eye as well when I do it, but it seems to have a high percentage of going where I want it, and yeah, if it hits a tree it rarely fires off into the poop, just usually drops right there.

Jeff_Peters
Feb 02 2005, 10:54 PM

Nothing is more nerve-racking than watching your disc play Plinko through the tree limbs after hitting the tree flush about 60' up. Sure it won't kick lateral, but if it hits the ground after PLINKO, you wont have to move very far for your next shot.

Feb 02 2005, 10:55 PM
I use a thumber on most of my drives, it is more predictable than any other shot that I have in my bag. At least I think it is a Thumber, thumb placed inside the lip of the disc and thrown overhand. My weapon of choice is a candy Teebird, used to be a candy Cheetah, but it is still in Delaware all alone. After reading this thread though, I believe that I need to go and buy a Firebird.

Jeff_Peters
Feb 02 2005, 10:55 PM
Has 1 tomahawk ace and counting. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Although it was over 4 years ago :confused:

bschweberger
Feb 02 2005, 11:13 PM
I use a thumber on most of my drives, it is more predictable than any other shot that I have in my bag. At least I think it is a Thumber, thumb placed inside the lip of the disc and thrown overhand. My weapon of choice is a candy Teebird, used to be a candy Cheetah, but it is still in Delaware all alone. After reading this thread though, I believe that I need to go and buy a Firebird.

Definitely need a Champion Firebird. It will revolutionize your distance.

vwkeepontruckin
Feb 03 2005, 12:45 AM

Definitely need a Champion Firebird. It will revolutionize your distance.

Says the Innova sponsored Pro... :o:o

Nah, its all good...any overstable disc will do fine, you just need to find the right one for you.
(I used Firebirds before, but have been getting better luck since switching to Spirts...but theres the Sponsored AM chiming in )

Feb 08 2005, 10:52 AM
OK I have decided to go and buy a candy firebird heavy, maybe not max weight yet. I have noticed that some forums have stated that different color molds have different flight patterns, is there a particular color or color and stamp I should look for? I usually throw T-birds in the red orange and yellow range.

Feb 08 2005, 09:21 PM
I use a 146 CE (old) banshee. The Banshee fits my thumb the best and allows me to throw consistant thumbers with it. For Tomahawks, it really doesn't make much difference what you use. Just use whatever gives you the results you're looking for.

Feb 17 2005, 12:35 PM
Got an orange candy 170 Firebird yesterday and I plan on testting it out this weekend on my vacation in Carolina. I will posts results upon my return. Also got a JUJU to try out, I am a sucker for new plastic, I have an Arrow and an Epic when they came out.

Boneman
Feb 17 2005, 11:50 PM
150 Flick

Feb 27 2005, 04:04 PM
Tried out my 170 champion Firebird since last weekend, I am getting a little more distance than my Champion Teebird, but alot more break to the right. The Firebird seems to stay in the turn and upside down longer, giving it ore glide hence the distance, but it also puhs it further to the right of my aiming point. Seems that this one will work for more D on open holes, but for tight fairways, I will stick with my TeeBird.