Jan 26 2005, 03:59 PM
With all this talk about distance i jsut want to know how many people when they FIRST started out could (CRUSH). And the time it took for you to figure it out, if you could not

cbdiscpimp
Jan 26 2005, 04:07 PM
What do you consider CRUSHING distance. 400??? 500??? 600???

I started playing seriously about 2 years ago and i dont think i could even throw 300 then. It took me about a year of practicing and watching the pros. Schweby and Brinster also helped me gain some distance on my drives during a clinic they gave at my home course. I would say it took me a little over a year to learn to throw over 400 when i was just throwing for distance. And just last year i was able to push it out past 500 and even out to 550. It all depends on your throwing style and your technique and if you are athletic or not. I dont think anyone that first picks up a disc is going to be able to CRUSH right away. You have to learn to throw far just like you have to learn anything else. Its not something you can just do without practicing.

I would say it took me 1 year to CRUSH if you think 400 is crushing and about 20 months to REALLY CRUSH which would be over 500. :D

Jan 26 2005, 04:20 PM
ty pimp

cbdiscpimp
Jan 26 2005, 04:24 PM
If TY means thank you then your welcome :D

If not i have no idea what to say :confused:

Jan 26 2005, 05:30 PM
I started learning how to throw a disc back in June 2004. A month later I played my first round of disc golf, my best throw was 230ft. As of Jan 2005, I can reach 300-320ft on a good throw. My lay-up shoots are good, I can par most holes in the 400-500ft range. I can throw 200ft standing still. Which comes in handy for hairy shots where a run up isn't possible.

My exp.

I would practice my drives an hour each day for a month. A friend of mine who started a few months ahead of me can reach 400ft now. Those of us who are not 6ft tall and skinny have to practice more. At the rate I'm going I should reach 400ft by the end of the year.

gnduke
Jan 26 2005, 06:16 PM
About 14 years to reach 400'.

All because of some young-un I taught how to play. I'd been playing casually for more than 10 years, and he started outdriving me within 3 months. I had to start working on distance quick. I still haven't caught him, but now he has a couple of kids so I should have a chance to pass him soon. :cool:

romine
Jan 26 2005, 08:20 PM
I've been playing about 3 years and one thing I have learned is that strength has nothing to do with it. Its formed flexibility. Repetition, repetition, repetition. After you get the arm and leg muscles worked its time to start all over and learn the 360.

romine
Jan 26 2005, 08:22 PM
Ive seen Millz throw it into orbit before, but he hit Uranus and was aiming for Mars.

chris
Jan 26 2005, 08:35 PM
I could throw about 330' after my first year, which included a lot of throwing distance drives in a field.

Jan 27 2005, 01:27 AM
after my first year i was throwing about 370 consistantly.

i was throwing maybee. 250 after about 3 months and then winter set in, after winter i came out throwing about 320 and it just slowy increased from their.

the winter helped alot, cause you cant rely on your xstep for power, and you gotta learn better form and technique.

Jan 27 2005, 11:20 AM
First month I started playing I was able to get my JK 154g Valkrie ~300ft. Two months later I was able to break 400ft. Now playing for 11 months, in golf I can throw 430ft and distance 450ft.

I attribute this to having...
1) Long Arms
2) Natural athleticism (sp)
3) 10+ years of ultimate experience
4) Practing 180ft feild goals at a football field with an ultrastar
5) Playing Guts for 3 years
6) Playing baseball for 6 years and throwing 65mph as a 12yo outfielder.

warlocks00
Jan 27 2005, 03:41 PM
I have been playing since the last April, and I would say I average around 350'-375' on drives. Some go over 400. My furtherest measured throw is 420'. Now if I could just putt things would be great.......

greenbeard
Jan 27 2005, 05:50 PM
Ive seen Millz throw it into orbit before, but he hit Uranus and was aiming for Mars.

2 meter rule

slowmo_1
Jan 28 2005, 10:31 AM
I was able to throw over 300 when I first started playing, even in the days when the Viper was the longest disc avalible, which I attribute to playing baseball my whole life. It just came natural to me. Sadly though I seem to be capped at a little over 400 now. It's just the limits of my ability and my arm getting old :(

Jan 31 2005, 12:03 AM
I've been playing since may 2004 and seems like I've been changin my throw up alot trying ot add distance, but when I throw for it it caps around 330. Its been like that since june. I've read alot of articles, practiced at discgolf courses more than fields, and concentrated on improving. I think my consistency and knowledge about my throw is alot better, but my distance really hasn't improved much. I haven't had a chance to get out to a field to test my distance since winter came though. I think I'd really benefit from a clinic or something, but haven't heard about any around here in the Detroit area.

Mar 15 2005, 11:47 PM
I started out sidearm and could get it out to 300' on occasion. I soon switched to backhand, practiced and now can throw over 400' consistently. I'd say it took me about 4 months to gain this distance.

discgolfreview
Mar 16 2005, 12:29 AM
With all this talk about distance i jsut want to know how many people when they FIRST started out could (CRUSH). And the time it took for you to figure it out, if you could not

i've introduced 90+ players to DG and the best average D i have seen during the first week of a new player is ~280' with a few throws in the 310-320' range. i personally started out at about 225' but was breaking 325' within 4-6 weeks (with discs available in early 2000) after reading rick bays' "license to drive article" and without actually having seen a good player throw.

morgan
Mar 19 2005, 09:41 AM
I hit Uranus one time.

Did it hurt?

Mar 19 2005, 10:45 PM
It took me a few months to consistantly break the 200' mark and then I exploded into the 350' range. Then I reaized I was throwing the wrong way so my distance went back to 250' and has been slowly coming up ever since. It's around 420' now.

chris
Mar 19 2005, 10:47 PM
Seems like everyone around here is at 420, I don't get it? :confused:

morgan
Mar 19 2005, 11:48 PM
You are being sarcastic. You know those are internet feet.

Funny how everybody on the internet throws 420 but most people in real life say "holy [*****]" when somebody crushes over 300.

cbdiscpimp
Mar 20 2005, 12:12 AM
Funny how everybody on the internet throws 420 but most people in real life say "holy [*****]" when somebody crushes over 300

If your saying HOLY [*****] when someone throws over 300 your not playing with very good players because i can throw a Crystal Challenger over 300 ft. Thats a PUTTER by the way!!!!!!!!!!!! So the people on here can prolly throw over 400 because its really not that hard. I threw 497 in the Distance comp at worlds and i have thrown multiple drives over 550 :D

Luke Butch
Mar 20 2005, 01:08 AM
We know.

And maybe for Morgan 300ft is a crush. Or most likely is it's slower cousin the Orc.

Millz- anytime you want to have a putter distance comp without crazy overstable putters like Challengers then I'll be up for it. I was throwing soft magnets 300ft well before Challengers were around. They go quite a bit farther when you roll them, but most people aren't crazy enough to roll Soft Magnets.

Luke Butch
Mar 20 2005, 01:12 AM
Seems like everyone around here is at 420, I don't get it? :confused:

That's not distance. That's the time they get together before the round to plan out their strategies.

morgan
Mar 20 2005, 03:03 AM
Pimpin, you can really throw 550? That's D contest stuff cause 550 in Michigan is equal to 700 in the desert lake bed. Time to hit the big D in the desert.

Mar 20 2005, 04:36 AM
People can strong arm 350 without any knowledge of good technique. They read one piece of helpful info and it can add onto that. Something tells me people who post on the technique forum of the professional discgolf website have read a bit of helpful. My experience at my local course (which has very open holes and is more of a driving range with obstacles than a discgolf course) is that the average discgolf regular can throw around 320. And there is a AM1 player who can throw his wasps 400+. 300ft is definitely impressive when you first get into the sport, but it seems to me, that after becoming a regular 300ft is common place if the course has holes that permit it.

greenbeard
Mar 20 2005, 10:50 AM
Pimpin, you are too skinny and young to throw 550. When you get older and develop your size, then maybe you can go 420. Until then, 420 means 4 to 20 years in jail for tripping in the parking lot of Hudson Mills when pigs were wachin' you an wondering why you were sittin under that truck acting all trippin.

keep it reel dawg

Mar 20 2005, 10:42 PM
Well, when I first started, I had a 150 class Whammo putter that I could throw 250'. I could throw somewhat "far" because I had been throwing frisbees around my whole life. Then I got my 1st driver (and Elite XTRA) and could throw that 325-350'. I have always had lots of snap and arm speed, but today I still can't throw much farther. I have been playing 4 years now and now have 375' of accurate distance with drivers. This is due to farther flying discs, not a huge distance gain. My technique has gotten better and more accurate, but has not increased my distance that much from when I was a beginner. I think the statement, "distance will come with practice" is BS. IMO, the only way to increase your distance noticably is by an all out technique change. My technique has changed very little. Still the same old backhand X step. I have been told that I don't twist my body enough to throw 450. I have the arm speed, just not the right motion.

morgan
Mar 21 2005, 12:00 AM
So, twist your body then. Duh?

Mar 21 2005, 12:04 AM
I'm the opposite. My throw is well cordinated enough to throw further but my armspeed isn't fast enough to maximize the discs I'm using. I am getting close though. On Saturday I birdied a 450' hole with a 35' putt and it felt awesome. I also birdied a 400' hole twice with 20' putts. It's really nice to be able to throw 400' (give or take) but your 150' and in game is the most important aspect. I'd rather be able to throw 350' and have a solid 150' game than be able to throw 450'.

Mar 21 2005, 01:55 AM
when I first started I could throw about 250 to 330 for the first year, and then I saw some local pros throwing, they really had sort of an explosion at the end of the throw. Delaying all the really important stuff as long as possible so the disc rips away from you, almost as an afterthought. I started trying to mimic those more violent throws, and gained distance slowly. Now I can hyzer about 440 and I've had some straight throws reach 500, but not many, and certainly not many in tournies! Rock climbing adds a lot of distance. I think a lot of people can't throw as far as they want to because they are just being safe- which is smart! Unless you really need distance, the smart thing is to stick with what you've got, and go for accuracy. But if you need more yards, try letting yourself really snap through the motion- faster, more violent.

sandalman
Mar 21 2005, 02:05 AM
About 14 years to reach 400'.

and it'll prolly take him another 14 to do it a second time! :D

morgan
Mar 21 2005, 04:02 AM
I agree about rock climbing helping your distance. I find that kayak surfing also works, and downhill ice skating.

Mar 21 2005, 09:43 AM
You are being sarcastic. You know those are internet feet.

Funny how everybody on the internet throws 420 but most people in real life say "holy [*****]" when somebody crushes over 300.

As agreeing with another post, most MA1 players are able to throw a Wasp/Buzzz/Roc 300-350ft, depending on weather, elevation and foilage. Playing alot in TN, MS, GA, and AL alot of the courses are fairly wooded. A decent number of players, especially at the last tournament I played in, drove exclusively with a side arm. This was because they are more accurate in the tight courses with it. Once out in an open field, on a +400ft hole. Their side arm gets them ~300ft. And when they see someone who plays alot of open courses throw "pin high" they are amazed.

Obviously most of MA1 players and MPO players would not be amazed at distances over 400ft. But the MAJORITY of golfers cannot dream of that distance.

"In a distance competition last October, I threw on my 5 drives...
1) 385
2) 410
3) 405 "OB"
4) 430
5) 450

By the time I threw the 4th and 5th drives, the volunteer running the event said he never seen anyone throw that far and was completely amazed. But was I, most of the other MA1 and MPO players amazed? No.

morgan
Mar 21 2005, 10:18 AM
My max D is slightly over 300 now due to chronology (http://www.theinsanedomain.com/Articles/lists/oldpeople.htm) . But I still get people saying "holy [*****]" and "nice crush" at my decrepid 300 foot throws. Funny thing.

Mar 21 2005, 10:50 AM
(drifting???) I've just learned to throw hard and my shoulder is really feeling it. My max D was about 300 and I just learned to snap it hard, and now I'm throwing Rocs and Putters around 300 on a good one. I actually parked a 350 slight downhill (Yadkin #10) with a high lefty hyser over the trees with a new aviar. My question is :Why does my shoulder feel like someone hit me with a warhammer??? Does anyone else @ my level of progression feel the same way??? I've played about 24 rounds in 9 days now. Whats up with this pain, will it go away if I rest or should I play thru it??? I've used tiger balm to some success and of course plenty of motrin, but am still only able o throw about 50% at best. Thanks in advance.

Mar 21 2005, 10:57 AM
Frisbee.

Look up PDGA #033. That old man can throw over 415ft. I have seen him do it many times.

Of course his geriatric arm has to use the very understable Sidewinder to do it. But one of those times that Sidewinder hit a tree at 415ft at about 5ft above the ground. Most of the time he rolls it that distance because of the stress on his body.

cbdiscpimp
Mar 21 2005, 11:01 AM
I would say take a break and let your body heal itself man. If i play that many rounds and I am throwing FULL POWER my arm is going to hurt as well. I dont recommend throwing as hard as you can either. I only throw 100% power when im trying to show off my distance or Im at a distance competition. Normally i throw 70-80 percent power and that helps alot with the stress on the shoulder. Ive played threw shoulder pain before and trust me its not a good idea.

Good luck with your game and your shoulder

morgan
Mar 21 2005, 11:11 AM
parkntwoputt, I've played with member #0044 and he's like 55 and can still throw 380. But he used to hold the world distance record, he was the Ken Jarvis of the early 70's. These old guys who can still throw 380 or 415 would be throwing 700 if they were young.

Me, I can throw 300 but would be doing 450 if young. I think.

Mar 21 2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks Mills, thats pretty much what I need to hear :(. Though I feel my game has elevated in the past couple weeks, I will take a few days off. Its tough to do b/c I find myself in way better postion to make lots of birds on my local courses. It seems I just learned something overnight and it really makes me want to play more and more. I can see it coming together over here. I do hear you about the 100% throws though. I felt like I was showing off when I'd step to a 300 foot hole and try to decide which roc or putter to huck while everyone else threw driver. My game has sucke for so long now I just need to show off (if even to myself) Thanks again see ya in BG

Mar 21 2005, 11:12 AM
(drifting???) I've just learned to throw hard and my shoulder is really feeling it. My max D was about 300 and I just learned to snap it hard, and now I'm throwing Rocs and Putters around 300 on a good one. I actually parked a 350 slight downhill (Yadkin #10) with a high lefty hyser over the trees with a new aviar. My question is :Why does my shoulder feel like someone hit me with a warhammer??? Does anyone else @ my level of progression feel the same way??? I've played about 24 rounds in 9 days now. Whats up with this pain, will it go away if I rest or should I play thru it??? I've used tiger balm to some success and of course plenty of motrin, but am still only able o throw about 50% at best. Thanks in advance.

You have a PM

cbdiscpimp
Mar 21 2005, 11:38 AM
No problem man. I have also found that there are some shot you just can throw using an overstable disc and ripping the hell out of it. I just put 2 Z Wildcats in my bag and i can throw the 174 Wildcat further then i can throw my Tsunamis and I dont have to throw it near as hard. Plus i can get that hyzer flip S shot with it and i cant do that with my Tsunamis. Maybe try some less stable discs and work on throwing 70-80 percent. But for sure rest it up and ill see you in BG :D

Mar 21 2005, 11:41 AM
Cool Pimp! I'll probably just play putter roc rounds until BG. Maybe I'll just putt until BG. I'm sure I'll place better if I do. Thanks again C-Ya :cool:

Mar 21 2005, 12:40 PM
Tim,

Try playing 12 rounds in one day. That will kill your shoulder. While you are playing those rounds, pretend you are running from hole to hole. My friends did that the past 2 years for the great 8. They broke the record last year. And it wasn't the same course over and over. They start at Zebulon and make their way to Burlington. I even think they put in a round at Cornwallis too(which isn't in the great 8).

The only thing I throw with 100% power is a speed demon that I need to skip. Otherwise it is 70%-80%. Take a day off or go play some rounds at Kentwood...cause you don't need to throw a driver there.

morgan
Mar 21 2005, 01:59 PM
Here's my answer to the original question on this thread. When I started throwing I could not throw backhand until I learned the X-step. That's what it was all about for the first few months maybe first year. When I finally learned the X-step I got so I could throw 400 feet. Then I got old.

That's when I had to learn part 2. Part 1 is the X-step, and that will get you good D, but Part 2 is just as important, if not more important, than the X-step...it's turning your hip. If you don't turn your hip, you can learn it and add 100 feet right now to your throw. It makes a huge difference.

It takes a lot of work to learn how to time it right. You have to time the hip turn and throw just right. You can't turn your hip, wait, and throw, you will lose all your momentum. And you can't turn your hip at the same time as the throw, it won't make any difference. You have to turn the hip and while that's going on you start the throw. I can't explain it any better, you have to just learn it. It's like all one motion, TURN HIP, THROW one after the other. I add 100 feet when I do that.

People have different ways to turn the hip. Some bend the left knee and push with it, some do it by twisting the right leg, I don't know. But the trick is, when you throw, your pelvis should be facing forward, not to the side. Super important.

So who am I to teach. But this is true for me.

esalazar
Mar 21 2005, 04:50 PM
I must learn how to throw further!!! can anyone elaborate more on the hip thing??

gnduke
Mar 21 2005, 05:43 PM
You gonna be at Am World Doubles ?

Look me up. I can go through the mechanics even if I can't throw 500'.

esalazar
Mar 21 2005, 06:11 PM
I will not be able to make this one!! Maybe the next tx10 event!! I will look for you!! It is really frustrating being out driven by most people in my div. :confused:

Mar 21 2005, 06:59 PM
the important thing is to out putt your division

esalazar
Mar 22 2005, 09:15 AM
I can putt!! :D

Mar 23 2005, 05:12 PM
within the first 2 months of playing i was throwing over 450, but quickly lost that ability just as quickly as i picked it up.
I saw someone in my group with a great snap and tried to replicate it.. That next hole i threw a linedrive 350 foot shot that just missed a basket about 1 foot to the right.
the next day i went out and threw in an open fairway and busted most drives out on a hyzer about 425-450.
that lasted for about a month.
I changed my throwing style and haven't beena ble to do that since..
I don't even remember what i used to do, but i remember it being a completely comfortabled and relaxed motion with a good snap, rip and i haven't been able to replicate anything that was that accurate or far since.
NOw i throw probably about 350-375 with a max of around 425 i'd say.(almost 2 years later)

-Scott Lewis

Mar 23 2005, 05:14 PM
sorry no simpathy given hear. lol

morgan
Mar 23 2005, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you can throw 450 by accident but not on purpose.

esalazar
Mar 27 2005, 09:21 PM
i am starting to feel a difference in my mechanics!! the fluid hip weight shift is going to make a big difference!!

morgan
Mar 27 2005, 10:00 PM
It's simple. If you throw with your hips still to the left, your arm is held back. If you turn your hips so they face the front, your arm has no restrictions.

It's like, if you don't turn the hip, the left leg holds you back. If you turn the hip, the left leg is out of the picture and nothing holds you back. Try it.

esalazar
Mar 28 2005, 12:45 AM
thanx morgan!!