discraft_elite
Jan 20 2005, 04:10 PM
I'm going to be going on a 9 day frisbee golf trip this summer (33 courses, over 500 holes) to Wisconsin. I was just wondering what kind of muscles are used to throw, so I can try and work those in the months leading up to it? Obviously the Bicep and Tricep, but anything else I'm missing? What are some good strength training excerises in general?

Jan 20 2005, 04:19 PM
Legs and torso also, not just arms.
Start building some callouses on your fingers.
Buy some moleskin to help prevent blisters on feet.

discraft_elite
Jan 20 2005, 04:41 PM
I've got a bad right knee, so leg exercises are hard for me to justify, seems like whenever I try and strenghten it, it goes out on me right away again from all the stress. I did do some leg extensions though, worked my quads. I know that your whole body is involved in the throw, but when you throw 500 holes (take that times 3 or 4 shots per hole) then I figured my arms were gonna be the frist to go.

tafe
Jan 20 2005, 05:53 PM
Don't forget shoulder, back, abs and all your "core" muscles. I've been going to the gym for a while in the off-season, and while strength training is good an definitely doesn't hurt, nothing can duplicate the forces that you put on your body during a drive. The best way to get ready for a lot of golf is to throw alot, not play, throw. Go to a field and pop off a hundred drives or more in an hour and then feel where you're sore the next day. Work those areas, and keep going to the field. And don't forget to row. This works what is normally the most underdeveloped part of the body between your shoulder blades up top. Good luck.

Jan 20 2005, 06:06 PM
I've got a bad right knee, so leg exercises are hard for me to justify, seems like whenever I try and strenghten it, it goes out on me right away again from all the stress. I did do some leg extensions though, worked my quads. I know that your whole body is involved in the throw, but when you throw 500 holes (take that times 3 or 4 shots per hole) then I figured my arms were gonna be the frist to go.

500 holes isn't really that much man. One time I did 162 holes in one day at Plamann here in Appleton. 9 rounds of 18 and I still could've played more if it wasn't for the dark. ;) Hell, my dad even made it through all the rounds with me and wasn't that tired....and he's 42 yrs old. The next day my legs kinda felt sore though.

Chainiac
Jan 20 2005, 06:59 PM
[quote ;) Hell, my dad even made it through all the rounds with me and wasn't that tired....and he's 42 yrs old.

[/QUOTE]
:eek: Did he use a walker or wheelchair? I remember when 30 was old too.

Jan 20 2005, 07:15 PM
Well yeah, I'm only 18 and finishing up High School. :cool:

discraft_elite
Jan 20 2005, 08:46 PM
162 is pretty good for a single day. The thing is, could you do that for 4 or 5 days in a row? The first year (three summers ago, we were just starting, keep in mind) we played 214 holes in 4 days, by the end, our arms were sore, but we kept playing. Actually we got home, and went and played two rounds on our home course the next day. Last year we stuck a break day in the middle of the 6, and we did pretty good.

The other thing, is there is a trophy on the line, and as of right now, out of the four, I can outdrive one player, tied with one, and the fourth guy can outdrive all of us. The thing is, I don't simply want to not get sore, I also want to improve my stroke, strength, and overall distance.

stevev
Jan 22 2005, 02:37 AM
I haven't played a round in about 4 weeks due to the cold temps outside(not to be a whiner), but I do have a top secret location which is heated where I can practice up to 40 ft. putts. I have been throwing 300 putts in each practice session at least twice a week for about 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I am having alot of pain in the area of my elbow where the forearm muscle is attached (tendon?) to just below the elbow. I think it might be like a "tennis elbow" problem. Any good ideas out there on how to get it "rehabed" before I get to start throwing long again. I'm an old man of almost 46 yrs.

Jan 22 2005, 06:49 PM
pills, pills, pills. j/k try not putting as much, 300 putts in one session is a LOT try doing around 150 everyother day or so.

discraft_elite
Jan 22 2005, 08:27 PM
Also, maybe try the tennis elbow strap thingy that guys put on their arm

rizbee
Jan 22 2005, 09:32 PM
The 500 holes figure is impressive, especially if they are 500 *different* holes. In that case, you also have a lot of driving to do to get from course to course.

My son and I covered 264 holes in 4 days the last week of July last summer. The courses were in Phoenix, Flagstaff, Kingman, and Las Vegas, finishing with Oak Grove and La Mirada. My arm went dead on the third 9 of La Mirada - we drove down to Huntington Beach but I couldn't bring myself to play any more.

The toughest part was the grind of the road - I did all the driving, and it was a different bed each night. The 105-110 degree heat didn't help much either.

Of course, he wants to know what our road trip will be this year! :D

discraft_elite
Jan 22 2005, 11:28 PM
Same thing we're doing. Decided we wanted to play some different coures, so we took some days off work and went. This will be our third year's trip.

To solve the driving drag, we planned the trip, so we only have an hour or two between the courses. Its amazing how fast a 6 hour drive can go if you play 4 courses along the way. Instead of hotels, we just find a campsite and camp out. That way we get a campfire, its cheaper, and it just makes the experience that much more memorable.

To solve the heat, A) we're up here in South Dakota, B) we go early enough in the summer before the real dog days hit.

If you plan on taking trips to other courses on a regular basis, I suggest in investing in a course directory. It tells you things like: directions to the course, description of the course, # of baskets and types, length, types of tees, the works. It also includes course contacts and what facilities the course offers. Very useful! For our first year I had a 2002 edition, and last year I upgraded to a 2004. Excellent resource.

Jan 22 2005, 11:50 PM
If you plan on taking trips to other courses on a regular basis, I suggest in investing in a course directory. It tells you things like: directions to the course, description of the course, # of baskets and types, length, types of tees, the works. It also includes course contacts and what facilities the course offers. Very useful! For our first year I had a 2002 edition, and last year I upgraded to a 2004. Excellent resource.

FYI, if you are a business tech geek like me and have a Palm PDA, you can download the course directory to your PDA for free from the the homepage here.

Chainiac
Jan 23 2005, 09:40 AM
The 500 holes figure is impressive, especially if they are 500 *different* holes. In that case, you also have a lot of driving to do to get from course to course.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come to the upper midwest, namely WI or MI, for a DG vacation. More courses means less travel.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The toughest part was the grind of the road - I did all the driving, and it was a different bed each night. The 105-110 degree heat didn't help much either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you came up here (WI) you could choose a location like say Milwaukee and play 10-20 courses within a 2 hr driving radius. Which means you get to sleep in the same bed each night. As for the temps, we top out at 81 for highest average high temp (August). But it's a wet heat ;),
Of course, he wants to know what our road trip will be this year! :D

Take a look at what discraft_elite is going to do this summer on his trip to WI. It's impressive. Come on up and play a round. :)