z Vaughn z
Jan 19 2005, 01:30 AM
Anyone ever notice that most cemetaries would make sweet disc golf courses?(minus the headstones and dead bodies)

ck34
Jan 19 2005, 02:08 AM
I suspect citizens would have grave concerns with this location. The proposal would be a monumental task with only a ghost of a chance to get approved and would likely die as citizens dug in with objections.

This is one of those rarely spoken observations many have had, similar to how cool it would be to have a disc with razor blades around the edge so you could throw it like Odd Job's hat.

z Vaughn z
Jan 19 2005, 02:22 AM
I'm just saying that when I'm driving around, I'm always making holes in my head, and I've found that quite often, cemetaries present excellent geography for a course. Sparse trees, large bushes. There are a couple cemetaries in Kalamazoo, MI that have awesome undulation, and would make sweet courses.
You were right, this would present grave danger when presenting such a proposal to un-earth the site and make a course.
dig it

Jan 19 2005, 03:24 AM
there is a course in emporia kansas that has a few holes right next to cemetary.

md21954
Jan 19 2005, 11:11 AM
we have a small cemetary with tombs from the 18th century at druid hill dgc in baltimore.

hole 2 is behind the pines in the background. the cemetary, surrounded by an old iron fence is OB of course.

though overgrown in this picture, the cemetary and other historic portions of the park have been and are being renovated.

it's time to get back to druhill if you haven't been in a while!

http://www.btco.net/ghosts/oddsends/druidhill/parkdruirogerscem.jpg

jmonny
Jan 19 2005, 12:41 PM
I suspect citizens would have grave concerns with this location. The proposal would be a monumental task with only a ghost of a chance to get approved and would likely die as citizens dug in with objections.

Yeah, that proposal might come back to haunt you, its probably best to leave it buried.

ck34
Jan 19 2005, 12:54 PM
Those cryptic remarks are dead on. Sounds like several courses are only a stone's throw from cemeteries. That's where the 2m penalty in the opposite direction is taken for granite :eek:

klemrock
Jan 19 2005, 01:07 PM
LOL

Jake L
Jan 19 2005, 01:17 PM
Not to beat a dead horse....

Horizons park in Winston Salem NC, set up a temp course for the "classic" a yearly PDGA tourny. One of the holes on the back, you tee'd a few feet from a few gravesites, dated in the 1800's.

Moderator005
Jan 19 2005, 01:23 PM

Yeah, that proposal might come back to haunt you, its probably best to leave it buried.

Please stop, these bad jokes are killing me!

jmonny
Jan 19 2005, 02:25 PM
WITCH joke are you talking about?

I can see it now....."Disc Golf Course Dead-Ahead"

klemrock
Jan 19 2005, 02:41 PM
"Death is the only thing we have not completely succeeded in vilgarizing." -Aldous Huxley, 1936

Until now! :p :D

WakandaRat
Jan 19 2005, 02:41 PM
sounds like a good course, I am dieing to play. but i would be dead tired afterwards

esalazar
Jan 19 2005, 02:53 PM
hell yeah, some night golf would be killer in a cemetary!!

circle_2
Jan 19 2005, 03:11 PM
...a lot of 'natural' roller stoppers, too! :eek: :p

tbender
Jan 19 2005, 03:39 PM
Would the only discs allowed be Phantoms, Banshees, Reapers, and Spirits?

jmonny
Jan 19 2005, 03:44 PM
There would always be a STIFF breeze out there. But be careful where your spike hyzer lands.

slo
Jan 19 2005, 03:47 PM
There would always be a STIFF breeze out there. But be careful where your spike hyzer lands.

Why, you have a problem with 'tombstones'?

okcacehole
Jan 19 2005, 03:47 PM
Ghost stamps only!

Jan 19 2005, 03:52 PM
Build a disc golf memorial cemetery that will be a disc golf course/cemetary for departed disc golfers. Put up statues for well known disc golfers who have passed on or as we say have (Turned over).

Instead of R.I.P I want

Turned Over
#### - ####

Jan 19 2005, 03:56 PM
I'm just saying that when I'm driving around, I'm always making holes in my head, and I've found that quite often, cemetaries present excellent geography for a course. Sparse trees, large bushes. There are a couple cemetaries in Kalamazoo, MI that have awesome undulation, and would make sweet courses.
You were right, this would present grave danger when presenting such a proposal to un-earth the site and make a course.
dig it

I learned to play disc golf in a cemetary in Kalamazoo before there were any courses with baskets in the area. I lived in a house in the cemetary and noticed people were throwing these strange frisbees real far so I asked someone what they were doing and they told me it was disc golf. We used to make up different courses in the cemetary using headstones as targets. It was alot of fun but it really beat up your discs. Some peolple may think it is disrespectful of the dead but why should they care, they're dead. I don't think anyone plays there anymore since we have 4 courses with baskets.

scoop
Jan 19 2005, 04:40 PM
It was a moribund day; almost morose. As I was driving down the road, I saw this drop-dead gorgeous piece of property. I thought it would make a heavenly disc golf course.

I found the owner (Mr. Potter), who had just bought the farm. He was taking a dirt nap beneath a large oak tree, and I didn�t want to disturb his dreamless sleep. I had a grim feeling that he had recently gone into the fertilizer business.

So, I paid the piper and tipped Charon, but still had to sneak past his dog Cereberus before I could get through the pearly gates.

On the first, softly-mounded tee-box, I threw a prayer of a shot with my Arc Angle, and it died just beneath the cairn. I should have thrown my Reaper.

On the next box, I threw a spike hyzer that knifed into the ground like a guillotine, but I was able to exhume the disc without having to commit hara-kiri.

There was something different about this Elysian Field, and my game never got heated up, it�s as though my disc were covered in adipocere and my arm was developing algor mortis. It was a difficult course; it bequeathed me nothing.

I stumbled over an old friend who was too busy pushing up daisies to join my card. So I continued to walk through the valley of shadows alone (I knew I was alone, because there was only one set of footprints in the sand).

I didn�t need my mini disc too often, as nearly every throw landed near a marker.

On the final hole, my shot skipped off a bucket (I kicked it out of the way), and landed six feet under the shule�I think it was a bed of death camas and hemlock.

When I was done, I cashed in my chips, visited Davey Jone�s locker, and vowed to revisit Potters Field. But for now I was content to shuffle off this mortal coil.

greenbeard
Jan 20 2005, 01:33 AM
I'll pass. If I loose one more disc to an undead zombie I'll just scream.

I mean, c'mon, you take one single dump on someone's final resting place and you get haunted by the living dead forever? It's just uncool.

Jake L
Jan 20 2005, 03:02 PM
Rooster wins. All the posts were funny, but he hit a home run.

esalazar
Jan 20 2005, 03:09 PM
freaky !! this is simply freaky!! nice work robbie!!

august
Jan 20 2005, 04:10 PM
You know, interestingly enough, in the late 1800's and early 1900's, cemeteries were designed as parks where people would go and picnic on a Sunday afternoon. That's why you see marble benches and ornate statuary at some old cemeteries. Modern cemeteries are way too utilitarian and boring. The old ones are very interesting places. So it's really not too far fetched that people would have fun in a cemetery.

I buried my dog near the tee for the 4th hole at my private course so I could visit while I play. She was a great caddie. There is another private course in Virginia that has a family cemetery near the first hole.

Chris Hysell
Jan 20 2005, 07:34 PM
And Mike August wins. The proper spelling is cemetery.

tbender
Jan 20 2005, 07:35 PM
Graveyard.

ck34
Jan 20 2005, 07:41 PM
And Mike August wins. The proper spelling is cemetery.

Nope. He didn't change it in his title. Check my second post on the first page.

johnbiscoe
Jan 21 2005, 11:16 AM
hollywood cemetery in richmond is a gorgeous, historic place, "housing" 2 presidents, the president of the confederacy, and more confederate soldiers than any other cemetery, among others. we used to play object golf there with whamo's before we knew dg really existed. of course, it's all fun and games until someone gets arrested... :(

ck34
Jan 21 2005, 11:22 AM
Rebels both above and below ground...

rangel
Jan 21 2005, 12:53 PM
You brought back a few memories.

First. I believe I saw a picture (somewhere) of a guy throwing a Frisbee off the top of a memorial. I think it was in a book. I will have to see if I can find that again.

Second. As a teenager (many years ago) the fastest shortcut from my high school to the local mini-mart was thru a large cemetery. Strange...no one would ever go with me thru there at night. :(

Third. The neighborhood park here has a small family plot (very old) right behind the left field wall of the softball field. The field, the woods and the plot would make for some good smaller holes.

Fourth. A local ball-and-stick course actual plays the 18th hole over (around) another small old family plot. The green measures over 300 ' (yes that is the length of a football field) and makes kind of a kidney shape around the plot. Local rules are lift and place with no pentalty.

Last. Rooster. Excellent.

august
Jan 21 2005, 02:06 PM
I don't win very often, so thanks for the acknowledgement.

I almost forgot about the slave cemetery at Loriella!

Feb 08 2005, 08:24 PM
Could you imagine the amount of bad DG karma you would have if you had an enemy buried in the DG cemetery. I mean Steady Ed is in discs, so why couldn't someone's headstone have a basket on top of it? You would need all premium plastic though, imagine slamming granite corner with a high speed driver in cheap plastic. And you know some guy would have his stone have a huge hole in it that would play as a mando and it would be right before a water hazard. Hey if I was dead and gone I might as well leave the hardest hole ever... I ain't gonna bogey it. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

savard1120
Feb 16 2005, 12:24 PM
I have had the exactly same thoughts about a cemetary in kalamazoo. I used to live right behind the one on W.Main and thought about what a sweet course it would make, but oh how wrong it would be.

Pizza God
Feb 23 2005, 01:07 AM
I seem to remember a cemetary at Sanders Ferry in Nashville area.

I for one like the idea of a Disc Golf cemetary, free for all PDGA members. I wonder if you can actually do it. For some reason, you can't bury anyone in my families cemetary acros the road from my parents home.

Also, if I ever build my dream course, the parking lot would be next to that family cemetary, the course would go up to the Slave Cemetary and then down to the old James (not actually related to me) Cemetary in the field on the way back to the homestead, this would put you throwning past Logan's place, my cousins son's memorial. (he died at 6 months, there is a granite stone and his ashes are scattered in a fenced in area.)

But that is also just a dream that I hope to build someday.

jmonny
Oct 25 2011, 01:24 PM
I like to resurrect this thread around this time of year, so I dug it up for everyone.

tkieffer
Oct 25 2011, 02:49 PM
Too many unplayable lies in cemetaries. Some things are best left at rest.

pterodactyl
Nov 02 2011, 01:14 PM
The cemetary would have been a great place to "throw" a disc golf tourney on Oct 31st.

johnrock
Nov 02 2011, 04:33 PM
While it would be interesting, too many people would complain and "kill" the idea. In Wichita Falls, TX a lady was leading nighttime tours of a local resting place and explaining the history of some of the markers. Seemed to have many visitors interested. Local residents are trying to shut her down claiming it's disrespectful to the interred. I could imagine if it was Dg'ers playing around the markers, leaving beer cans/bottles, cig butts, and other common trash would have the residents banning ALL DG.

drdisc
Nov 05 2011, 12:18 AM
While designing a course in Macon Ga., a local took me to the cemetary where the Allman Brothers used to "party" late at night. Their house was just up the street. Many of the tombstones and statues were inspirations for their songs.
My friend took me around and we played on the course that they used to play while in college there. Little Martha, Sweet Mellissa, etc. were some of the targets!

petershive
Nov 05 2011, 02:07 PM
One of the pins on the original University of Wyoming object course was the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Monument. A veteran complained about disresprect, and the University nearly banned the whole course. Later they let us back with a redesigned layout (interestingly, because it is seen as a recruiting plus).

Afterwards I apologized to the Veterans. They (all but the one) wanted us to reinstate the monument as a pin. They felt that it was a great way to have more people made aware of it.

A cemetery is a memorial. There's not much point in a memorial if nobody visits it. What would you want for yourself and your descendents? Would you want your descendents to bar people from the vicinity of your headstone because they were playing a game? I wouldn't.

I know we can't do it, because we can't risk offending those who believe that you should behave in a cemetery as you would in a church. As pointed out above, it wasn't always that way. Too bad it is now.

bruce_brakel
Nov 17 2011, 01:56 AM
I have often thought it would be cool to have a memorial disc golf course where people could bury their loved ones knowing that they would always be being visited by happy people enjoying the outdoors and playing a social kind of game. I think it could be done in a way that would be respectful of the dead and would also provide additional income for the upkeep of the grounds. But I'm legally nuts so what do I know.

keithjohnson
Nov 20 2011, 02:23 AM
My mother already has used this idea - she asked to have her ashes buried at the local discgolf course, so her son would visit her.

chainmeister
Nov 23 2011, 04:08 PM
Frank DeFord did a nice piece about ball golfers and their final resting place on NPR this morning. http://www.npr.org/2011/11/23/142448109/an-eternal-tee-time-option-for-die-hard-golfers He ended the piece by staing, "At last. He's one under."

go18under
Dec 01 2011, 07:50 AM
Kerieakes Disc Golf course in Bowling Green KY is located adjacent to an old cemetery.....and locals swear the course was built on unmarked slave graves....

pterodactyl
Dec 01 2011, 01:04 PM
Maybe Jarva DGC could be the first official cemetary/disc golf course in the world. I don't see why they couldn't coexist. You could have some fun night rounds. I can see it now: The Jarva Zombie Open tourney.

bgiggey
Dec 20 2011, 12:03 PM
This is such a great thread, but will never happen sadly :/

Cemeteries were actually our first "green spaces." They once became so popular that literature had to be handed out on how to properly use the space. Frisbees, blankets, drinking, relaxing --- it was once a wonderful space to not only mourn the dead, but reconnect with nature and get away from the city life. They got so popular that eventually cities had to find real "green spaces" --- not to long after that we got Central Park. Pretty cool!

Now they are only viewed as mourning spaces, bummer. I love the idea of DG courses and cemeteries.

drdisc
Aug 27 2012, 02:40 AM
One of the most popular southern Rock Cemetaries in the South.
C:\Documents and Settings\Tom\My Documents\My Pictures\Tom Pictures\Macon, GA