Smiley_J
Jan 12 2005, 04:08 PM
Hi, I am a student of a University club and we want to do an indoor putting league over winter. Has anyone done something like that and have some input on how to make it successful? Any certain formats/games? Thanks.

johnrock
Jan 12 2005, 04:31 PM
How much room do you have do work with? What kind of obstacles will you be able to use?

md21954
Jan 12 2005, 04:48 PM
play 21.

any # can play. plays like horse except each player gets two discs.

first player (flip to determine, or winner of previous round) chooses shot, shoots both discs. hitting the metal basket (not pole) is worth one, chains worth two, canning the putt is worth three. player who scored most points, or who went first initially in case of tie, chooses next shot. first player to 21 wins.

ck34
Jan 12 2005, 05:28 PM
Instead of 'horse' or 'putts,' try 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' so it lasts for more than one session of your league :D

Consider doing a putting version of the Skillshot Challenge where different types of putts need to be made from different distances (see the E.D.G.E. program for ideas) http://www.edgediscgolf.org/skillshot.htm

Jan 12 2005, 07:28 PM
'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' whats comes after the I?

ck34
Jan 12 2005, 07:34 PM
Not sure, but "dum-diddle-diddle-diddle-dum-diddle" comes before 'I'

Jan 12 2005, 07:54 PM
lol i was only kidding

axldog
Jan 12 2005, 08:37 PM
Hey Smiley J!
The UW Stout Indoor Putting League will begin once again as soon as the students return from winter break in a few weeks. In the past we just played horse ( except we spelled D-I-S-C-G-O-L-F ) for each others cash ( usually just a couple bucks ). However, this year we will be using the Indoor Putting League to promote disc golf on campus, and to raise funds for the Wakanda Park Open. We havn't decided on the exact format yet, but we will be playing for prizes that have been donated by our sponsors so that we can use the cash we generate for our tournament.
Being able to use University resources has been quite helpful. The UW Stout Disc Golf Club actually receives a budget from the University, and to date 5 practice baskets have been installed on campus inbetween the dorms, and we now have 2 portables that we will use for the Indoor Putting League ( thanks INNOVA ). In addition to that, we are able to reserve meeting rooms at the Student Union complete with laptops, wireless internet access, & a projector ... at no cost to us.
Find out what your school can do for you and use it!
Other than that, I'd recommend keeping the format simple & the cost low.

Good Luck!

pterodactyl
Jan 12 2005, 08:44 PM
a speed putting obstacle course sounds like fun.

Smiley_J
Jan 26 2005, 03:14 PM
Well thank you everybody, sounds like a great start. I appologize for the late response, in the future I know what I am doing now. ha.

The indoor space is going to be the size of a basketball court or two. We have two + portables, and the track team has some neat shaped pads with holes and curves to make for some interesting putts. I have not spoken with them yet if we can use their pads, however. Another option depending on which room we are assigned to, is to use the bleachers and stages to create elevation changes.

Keep the ideas rollin' !

Thanks!

axldog
Jan 27 2005, 03:49 AM
Smiley J,

You got me! I didn't know who you were from your first post. Too funny! See you tomorrow.

axldog
Jan 27 2005, 03:54 AM
I don't think we will follow the Mary Poppins advice though.

Haha!

Smiley_J
Mar 19 2005, 10:57 PM
Just a little update. We have been running our "Indoor Disc Golf" in the main gym of the university's sports complex. The club now has 3 Innova Sport portables, practice discs for newbies to borrow, and plenty of obstacles for indoor. We usually have some extra baskets provided by the participants At first we start out with warm up/practice, then we move into the putting game horse, and after the girls volleyball team finishes we spread the baskets out across the whole gym and flip discs for doubles. We only allow putters and there is a $2 fee. Obstacles include nets, bleachers, curtains, and many other items. We place the baskets on various boxes or tables to create elevation changes. It is quite fun and you never know what crazy shot will be called next. Prizes are given out at the end.

Feb 17 2006, 08:57 PM
Sounds fun keep up the good work! :cool:

quickdisc
Feb 18 2006, 04:34 PM
Just a little update. We have been running our "Indoor Disc Golf" in the main gym of the university's sports complex. The club now has 3 Innova Sport portables, practice discs for newbies to borrow, and plenty of obstacles for indoor. We usually have some extra baskets provided by the participants At first we start out with warm up/practice, then we move into the putting game horse, and after the s volleyball team finishes we spread the baskets out across the whole gym and flip discs for doubles. We only allow putters and there is a $2 fee. Obstacles include nets, bleachers, curtains, and many other items. We place the baskets on various boxes or tables to create elevation changes. It is quite fun and you never know what crazy shot will be called next. Prizes are given out at the end.

Sounds like fun !!!! :D

rtinsa
Jun 30 2007, 03:19 PM
How is the putting thing going>?