Jan 10 2005, 10:33 PM
We have the money, backing, and membership to put a new course in the ground.
PROBLEM>>> WE HAVE NO LAND!
City parks are pretty small and only one might fit 18 short holes...
County parks have been being worked on, proposed, and mapped over and over again...
The one park that can hold 18 great holes has enough land for at least 72 but we are starting small, we are having problems with the managers of the park....
They seem to have the "Good ole boy syndrome"...It's their park and they are going to fight it! Even after being told we would provide the baskets, supplies, and labor, everything short of cement tee pads which can come later, they are trying to tell us that it is going to cost a minimum of 6000$ a year to keep it up........they don't want any dirt being seen, groomed airated, and fertilized fairways and more......
Bottom line is even if the park board told these 2 to go ahead and put the course in they would be agianst it from the start and we would be fighting a uphill battle....
We need a new course in lansing, MI preferably one that is pay to play, or just get into, to keep out the riff raff. Because the two courses we have are logging an extreme amount of rounds every year being next to a major university.........
WE NEED HELP! or just land
any suggestions
brent

Jan 11 2005, 12:23 PM
If you want it pay to play maybe you could talk one of the local ball golf courses into doing a Fly 18 course.

flyboy
Jan 16 2005, 12:10 AM
or call fly 18 ;)714 235-0100 :D

wander
Jan 16 2005, 11:02 AM
Working against an entrenched parks staff is always a pain in the behind.

But still probably less a pain in the tush than dealing with Fly.

One possible route might be to look into land that's marginally useful to the park system, i.e. like flood plane areas. Such areas are often undeveloped since there are many "park" uses which just don't work well with the occasional flood...

Brown Park in Ann Arbor, for example, is a 500 year flood zone (maybe 100 year, something rare in any case). It was almost useless for other park activities but made a nice, albeit shorter, disc golf course.

Its also important to take a long term approach even if you've been rebuffed initially. Be sure to keep up to date on planning meetings etc so the club can have a presence there when public input is called for.

Best of luck. Michigan can always use new courses!

Have you caught Disc Golf LIve on E. Lansing public access TV yet? It should be playing weekly.

flyboy
Jan 16 2005, 01:46 PM
Joe I rember when I donated 5 rolls of tee pads to mich. an you were such a dik I almost removed all pads so you could awnser to 800 disc golfers as to why no pads.You are a real piece of work :eek:Fly 18 is the future of our sport most events are trying to be what I already am a golf course.ie usdgc japan open.Next year you can read a book on the evoloution of disc golf by fly 18. Have a nice winter :cool:

Jan 16 2005, 03:09 PM
Reese, I think what you're trying to do for the sport is great, especially how you are working to progress disc golf to a ball golf level. good job! BUT... why are YOU always such a dik to everyone??? every post of yours I've read has been negative and putting down someone else... why is that?? stop acting like a five year old and post something useful thanks

Jan 16 2005, 03:12 PM
seriously, you have a great company and great ideas for the future of disc golf, your work though, would be far more efficient and effective if you worked on your people skills a little bit