danknug
Jan 06 2005, 04:04 PM
has anyone out there ever hit somebody with a drive in a golf game on purpose or accident

Jan 06 2005, 04:08 PM
i did, but i don't want to talk about it. and i did on purpose /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

johnrock
Jan 06 2005, 04:24 PM
I have, :( . Before the baskets came to town, we used to play in a small neighborhood park. Hole 7 was a dogleg left around the playground. When I stood up to tee-off, I noticed a guy about our age watching us. Obviously a Dad who was killing time while his kids were at the playground. Well, he had climbed up on this little log-house type apparatus on the edge of the playground (it actually defined the "dogleg"), and was sitting there looking around, not really doing much of anything. I tried to block it out of my mind, and told myself, "Just a nice easy natural turn of the disc...". As soon as I let it go, I had that "Feeling". I tried to yell, but the words wouldn't come out. Instead of the disc going like it was supposed to, it headed straight for the guy on the play house! He was looking at the area where the last disc had gone when my shot hit him square in the ribs. He never said a word as I apologized over and over, he just sat there. I felt terrible, and didn't finish the round. Needless to say, we didn't use that set-up anymore.

Jan 06 2005, 04:25 PM
I would think that most everyone that's played for more than a few years has hit someone or been hit. Jason, what are you trying to find out from DGer stories of hitting and being hit?

chris
Jan 06 2005, 05:09 PM
I was driving in a field before a tournament once. I threw my disc, it turned over and flew straight into a 10 year playing baseball.

Jan 06 2005, 05:16 PM
One day In Tulsa Ok Mclure parkHole 13 i was watching one of the pros throw a brand new Xclone as soon as it left his hand it was traveling over a sidewalk this 80 year old lady comes walking up the other side of the sidewalk all we could see was the top of her head .The disc was going to hit her right between the eyes ,we were screaming and shouting to warn her But she never heard us .As luck would have it or maybe something else a little gust of wind caused an air bounce that lifted it right above her .She never saw it .Ever since then I have thought about that when someone else is close .

chris
Jan 06 2005, 05:19 PM
what is Tulsa spelled backwards??

crotts
Jan 06 2005, 05:23 PM
i did, but i don't want to talk about it. and i did on purpose /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

he threatened to hit me in the face with a thumber from like 5 feet away.

: ) :

Jake L
Jan 06 2005, 05:28 PM
Me and my buddy Supa Dave were playing catch with a driver. We slowly progressed to throwing harder and harder, till Dave says "rip one at me, but throw it low, I'll step on it" So I did, full force, and Dave was about 60 feet from me. It was a good throw, about a foot and a half off the ground, right at Dave. Dave put his foot down about a half second too soon, the driver caught him in the shin, that sucka swelled up fast. Dave had a bump on his leg for about a month after that. Needless to say, I have said I was sorry about a million times.

Jan 06 2005, 05:31 PM
I was just starting my round at De Laveaga, driving on hole one. There was a group of 5 people at the tee pad for hole 2, one was driving, the other four were standing by the tee sign. I did not really worry about it, until I let the throw go. It was headed right for them. I immediately started yelling fore. It was headed right for the four people. Three of them moved away in time, but the fourth looked up just in time to take my dyed Champion Viking right on the side of his left eye. It left two cuts, knocked his glasses off, and still went another 20 feet. He was really mellow about it, and I knew most of the guys in the group so it was all good. I felt pretty crappy after that, and my round did not go so well either. :o

flynvegas
Jan 06 2005, 05:39 PM
I hit a bum sitting near the pin, that wouldn't move. I was throwing a skip shot with a 183g Phenix. It skipped and hit the bum above his eye, split it open. That was 16 years ago.

bschweberger
Jan 06 2005, 05:43 PM
I have been hit 4 times, and I have hit somebody on two different occasions. It happens, both times I hit somebody they were when I could not see anybody on the hole. Earlier this year I got hit by one of my boys, with a thumber (of all shots.) right in da mouth. Split it wide open.

leftysidearm
Jan 06 2005, 05:45 PM
Well, since the guy who hit me rarely ever posts, I'll tell the story. We are at a little DGer get together and we are warming up to play a 9 hole course in someones backyard. I threw my discs towards a basket and turned to talk to someone (subject already forgotten). Well, in mid sentence i hear "HEADS!" and before i turn to see whats flying where, a viper tags me just below my shoulder on my throwing arm. I freeze and the eyes water like crazy. Lets just say that it smarted for a little while. I'm happy to say the guy apologized and that was it.

chris
Jan 06 2005, 05:55 PM
I hit Barry while practicing before the Great Lakes Open. It was on hole 1 of the original course, I threw a hyzer as hard as I could and it went off into the woods and hit Barry. I'm not sure what he was doing in the woods, he's suppose to be in the fairway where I can see him but either way he was not very happy :mad:

cbdiscpimp
Jan 06 2005, 06:03 PM
Scweby saw me get hit earlier this year at Cass Benton when they were doing the clinic. I was throwing HUGE bombs out there with Scweby and this freakin newbie hits me with a full power drive from about 5 ft away :mad:The kid didnt say ONE FREAKIN WORD. No im sorry i hit you now are you ok NOTHING :mad: Needless to say the DiscPimp wasnt very happy :mad: Schweby you remember that???

adogg187420
Jan 06 2005, 06:07 PM
I hit a guy at Turkey Creek in Iowa City last year. He was about 300 feet away and my drive was at full speed, heading right for the back of his head, as he was facing away from me and my group, i yelled FORE about 5 times before it hit him square in the back of his head, knocking him to the ground. He was still on the ground when i ran up to him, and thinking he would beat the crap out of me, he just got up, laughed, and said the exact thing happened yesterday on the exact same hole. I still felt bad though, but shot one of my best rounds ever.

Jan 06 2005, 06:08 PM
Im glad someone brought this up. If someone gets hurt, they could sue the pants off you! Also, if the park gets sued, they could pull the whole course! Thier insurance may require them too.

If someone, especially a casual or WORSE, a spectator or just someone enjoying the park is at all hitable, dont throw! Its hard to throw under those circumstances anyway and youll prolly shank on the side of caution right into the shule anyway. If someone in your group says to go ahead and throw, tell them no, or at least hollar out and get thier attention. Also, lots of people are shy about hollaring over a hill or around the bend. HOLLA! If no one is there, it wont matter how silly you may sound. We dont need bad publicity either.
If you dont do this, you may live to regret it for the rest of your life.

cbdiscpimp
Jan 06 2005, 06:18 PM
I hit someone in the nose when i was putting one time. It blew his nose out and he was bleeding EVERYWHERE.

chris
Jan 06 2005, 06:42 PM
Dischick hit someone while putting during World Doubles, it was really funny, I think she should tell it :)

Jan 06 2005, 06:48 PM
One time at band camp, I grip locked and ended up hitting a metro bus. :D Good times, Good times!

cuttas
Jan 06 2005, 07:07 PM
I have been hit 4 times, and I have hit somebody on two different occasions. It happens, both times I hit somebody they were when I could not see anybody on the hole. Earlier this year I got hit by one of my boys, with a thumber (of all shots.) right in da mouth. Split it wide open.

Well he al<font color="red">RE</font>a<font color="red">D</font>y answered it for me.

Sorry agian!

gnduke
Jan 06 2005, 07:16 PM
I got hit right between the eyes putting around a basket one day. The person opposite the basket tossed MY viper back towards the basket as I was walking up to get my putters out, and the wind lifted the disc over the basket. It broke the skin, but didn't bleed long.

bschweberger
Jan 06 2005, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I remember that, ouch!!

cbdiscpimp
Jan 06 2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah. You guys going to come out and do that clinic again this year???

Jan 06 2005, 08:28 PM
Yeah. You guys going to come out and do that clinic again this year???

whats a Clinic?? and were are they?

the_kid
Jan 06 2005, 08:56 PM
When I first started I hit a guy kneeling by the tee sign in the front of the box. I know I was only 11 but I think I threw harder in those days. :confused: :confused:

esalazar
Jan 06 2005, 09:07 PM
****, that had to have hurt!!

Chris Hysell
Jan 06 2005, 09:44 PM
I just hit myself but not very hard.

j_d
Jan 06 2005, 10:12 PM
No but once, in the bowl (a big open area) of the Nichols Arboretum here in Ann Arbor, I tried an experimental sidearm boomerang throw and unbelievably, it flew way, way off to the right and literally scalped (raised his scalp a good inch off the top of his head) this guy who was sitting there talking with the only other person in the whole bowl (besides my buddy & I). The odds were very very tiny -- knocked him flat on his back -- he didn't move, I thought I'd killed him, but (WHEW) then he came to. I took the shirt off my back, wrapped around his head (the blood basically drenched the entire shirt) and off his buddy took him to the nearby hospital. He was a UofM student -- had health insurance and never asked me for a dime. Of course, this was in the 70s back before litigation came into vogue.

Jan 06 2005, 11:44 PM
Me and my buddy Supa Dave were playing catch with a driver. We slowly progressed to throwing harder and harder, till Dave says "rip one at me, but throw it low, I'll step on it" So I did, full force, and Dave was about 60 feet from me. It was a good throw, about a foot and a half off the ground, right at Dave. Dave put his foot down about a half second too soon, the driver caught him in the shin, that sucka swelled up fast. Dave had a bump on his leg for about a month after that. Needless to say, I have said I was sorry about a million times.

I thought you were gonna say the throw skipped off the ground right in front of his foot and hit him in the ... arm. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif :D

Jan 06 2005, 11:51 PM
I have never actually been hit, but I had a nice close call once. My wife taught me a valuable lesson about never standing in front of someone while they throw, no matter how far off the line you are. My wife (f'in b****) is LHBH and I was standing uphill and to the left of her by lets say 50 degrees from the line from her to the hole. Well she grip locks a driver (candy arm) from the fairway and the disc is headed directly for my noggin. I am only like 40 feet from her and I some how managed to hit the deck and avoid it by the slimmest of margin. Guess all those years of playing baseball and having 90 mph fastballs thrown at me paid off. Needless to say it was a nice muddy day and my clothes got nice and ruined, but I made her clean em. Serves her right. So the moral of the story... when playing with girls who can't play... hide behind a tree!!!!

bschweberger
Jan 06 2005, 11:52 PM
Prolly not since we will not all be together. If you need some critiquing, i can play a round with you at the Memorial.

cbdiscpimp
Jan 07 2005, 12:01 AM
Sounds good to me. I would appreciate it.

bcary93
Jan 07 2005, 12:33 AM
While waiting for the wedding party formed into a twentysome do their approaches and putts around the first basket, I knew we could finish the first while they were teeing on the second and sneak past, but they said "throw! come on, show us how to do it!" So they watched my disc fly right up to their group and of course the people in the front saw it heading at them so they stepped out of the way and watched it whizz by but the people in the cheap seats couldn't see a thing and I surprised a woman, maybe a bridesmaid, who got whacked :( It was a 150g Beast and slowing, so no harm.

I was hit once on course by a notorious pothead, who pulled a Tonya Harding on my Nancy Kerrigan Knee. He didn't make a peep as he watched his disc fly up and knock me on the side of my knee during warmups for a tournament - and we don't even play in the same division :)

Jan 07 2005, 12:38 AM
I hit a buddy once....he had hit an ace on a 350foot hole in ny ....he got so excited and ran down to the basket before I could throw....I waited till he got to the basket then I threw.....he didnt notice the firebird comeing in on him and it hit him in the nuts.......he fell on the ground and was laughing and crying at the same time.....first ace and a disc in the nuts....must have been nice....it was funny i'll tell you that!!!!!!! :D

Jan 07 2005, 02:39 AM
I hit a buddy once....he had hit an ace on a 350foot hole in ny ....he got so excited and ran down to the basket before I could throw....I waited till he got to the basket then I threw.....he didnt notice the firebird comeing in on him and it hit him in the nuts.......he fell on the ground and was laughing and crying at the same time.....first ace and a disc in the nuts....must have been nice....it was funny i'll tell you that!!!!!!! :D

I am not sure what is a better shot.. the hole in one or the nutshot from 350.

Jan 07 2005, 02:56 AM
Oh yeah, when I was just beginning just a year or so ago, I threw this one shot...beautiful high hyzer. Problem is, I was trying to throw a low anhyzer...I hit a guy in the back of the head 3 holes over.

Blarg
Jan 07 2005, 04:02 AM
Back when I was just starting to play, I was practicing at a
big open field with a friend. He'd gone way off to the left to
retrieve one of his throws. I'd just bought a very heavy dx Valkyrie (173g). It was way too heavy for me (still is) but I'd heard somewhere that the dx's were less stable than candy. Plus, it was the first dx Valkyrie I'd ever seen and the only one in the shop. I could already throw my 150g candy valk perfectly straight about 200 feet, so I thought I could throw the heavy dx pretty straight too. Wrong. I threw it and it starting hyzering left immediately. My friend had his back turned. I screamed 'BILL, BILL, LOOKOUT!' but the wind took my words away and my disc towards Bill.
Hit him in the side of his right knee and he went down like he'd been shot!
He was okay after a bit and we continued throwing.

Jan 07 2005, 06:11 AM
My brother has a friend who would throw a disc and then start walking to wear it landed after every throw. I knew eventually he would be hit and wouldn't you know it happened on the 18th hole. I had the longest drive which meant I was the last to shoot my upshot. Of course he threw his disk (past the basket) and started walking to it. I unleashed my roc from about 150 out and it grazed off the top of the basket. As soon as he heard the noise he turned around and BAM. He took it in the forehead. I laughed my arse off and he learned his lesson.

Jan 07 2005, 06:46 AM
Yes, and also I have been hit by one. Both incidents occured in the past year. It was interesting

Jan 07 2005, 06:48 AM
In fact, I was hit in the face with a Stingray from about 235ft out. The best part of it all; it hit me in the face...(it hurt like a son-of-a-b****

Tbranch
Jan 07 2005, 10:13 AM
Feldberg, Jenkins, and I were touring and we went to the MDGO finals in Ludington, MI. Innova had just started making CE valkyries and hadn't figured out how to remove the flashing from the edges. Dave let one rip during practice and it hit an older fellow near the basket in his arm.... a big high hyzer from about 360 feet. The flashing cut into hit skin. I was PDGA competition director at the time and made a call to Innova to voice my concerns about CE flashing problems.

Glad to see they got a handle on it!

Also, back when I had been playing discs golf for a couple months I finally got to meet the legendary Ron Russell. He was in town and I was in tight with his old buddies (Darren Harper, Mark Ellis, Drew Bray, etc...) I managed to get invited to play with them all that day. During warmup putting Ron hit me squared on the bridge of the nose from about 50 feet. Even putts can hurt like a beeotch.

JohnKnudson
Jan 07 2005, 11:42 AM
I am not surprised to see that two people from Iowa have posted on this thread. Turkey Creek, the course that Aaron mentioned previously, is a good course; however, it is used heavily, and many of the fairways are close to each other. In fact, the teepad for hole 9 is directly in the flight path for hole 8.

There are two lessons that can be learned from these stories: Never throw when there is a chance that an errant drive might hit someone, and be ready to duck or bleed when playing on older courses.

tafe
Jan 07 2005, 12:27 PM
This year during World's :eek:.
During a warmup round at DMACC, I was walking to the basket at #2 by the weeping willow. I started hearing "fore," and as I started to duck my head down, I caught a Z Buzzz in the back of the neck on the right. I was seeing stars for a little bit. The guy who nailed me did come down and apologize. I just kept walking and started play 15 min. later.
On a funny side note, in Sept. a massage therapist friend of mine is working on my back a week before a tourney. He finds this lump that feels like a rock up on my neck and blasts it apart. The next day, I couldn't believe my neck wasn't purple and throbbing it hurt so bad. Then I remembered that that was where I got hit! 4 days later, I got my first win. Thanks again, Kyle.

dm4
Jan 07 2005, 01:26 PM
Couple years ago a buddy of mine took one in the upper jaw after he put his disc in a tree and started walking towards it before everyone had thrown (like it was going somewhere and he had to hurry). He thought it was far enough right and would not be a problem. I guess the gal he was with got pretty nervous, but went ahead with her drive. Sliced through his upper lip and into his gum. 15 stitches (or so) in the lip and 7 or 8 in the gum. Needless to say he does not walk ahead anymore.

I got hit by a husky 12 year old who was just starting out. It was his third shot on a long hole, so he really put some mustard on it, and grip locked, 90 degrees. I was standing even with him about 30 feet away and took it right in the ear! Man that hurt. Good thing he was just starting out and did not know how to throw.

One of my pet peaves (sp?) is people throwing on you in tourneys! Usually you are waiting yourself. They always say "man, I didn't know I could throw that far..." /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20460chase
Jan 07 2005, 02:39 PM
My doubles partner{ who never posts} hit Pat Blake { who rarely posts} and was lucky he didnt seriously hurt him.We were at Camden Doubles, i think 2 years ago, on a alternate hole, and the basket was hidden.Its like 500' {?} downhill and I saw them walking to the next tee,I waited thinking they were clear and ripped one out, playing safe and far left of the basket.Luke Langdon then ripped a full flashed CE TL down the hill on a amazing line, the basket is hidden by woods, and we lost sight of it thinking it was gold.Then while walking halfway down the hill Blakes partner started freaking out yelling "you almost killed him"!!. Luke felt terrible about it.Someone said heads up to Pat at the last second or else it would of been a head shot, instead getting him on the shoulder.It turns out they had walked thier bags to the next tee and walked back to putt, but from the tee we never saw{ its a blind spot} and thought they were gone.We felt really bad but it was a accident and Pat was alright and understood.From what I heard the disc melted around his shoulder and the flashing left a burn.We were on the same card in Peoria this past year and he reminded me about it.I personally have never been hit, and havent hit anyone, but have scared many watchers.

LeftyGod
Jan 07 2005, 02:48 PM
We have a guy here in Tulsa that two-fingers a Q-MS for putts.

There were a few of us putting before the two minute and this guy rips one at the basket from about twenty feet. Well it didn't go in the chains, instead it bounces off the nipple and nails a guy right in the nuts with no time to yell. Let's just say that guy didn't have a good tourney once he finally got up off the ground. :o:o:o

cbdiscpimp
Jan 07 2005, 02:56 PM
I hit a guy this year at worlds when i was warming up for the distance competition. He was like 500 ft away when it hit him and it was still about shoulder high but not traveling very fast. I tried yelling four but i dont think he heard me.

idahojon
Jan 07 2005, 03:04 PM
I tried yelling four but i dont think he heard me.

If you'd have yelled "fore" he would have heard you.

cbdiscpimp
Jan 07 2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah well i wasnt spelling it out i was just yelling it and it SOUNDS the same.

Someone disabled my smileys. They arent working

jasonc
Jan 07 2005, 03:21 PM
There is a God :D:D:D

Jan 07 2005, 03:31 PM
I hit some big dude at Jones Park in CR, IA last summer. It was hole # 9. Its just a straight 200 feet where the basket is inbetween a few trees on the endge of a hill. I threw my old rock hard 10x Roc and let go with some anhyzer and it flipped over and went straight for him and hit him in the neck and then hit his girlfriend in the back. I thought he was going to kick my @ss, but he just laughed and told me not to worry about it. I almost hit him again on the next hole.

discette
Jan 07 2005, 04:06 PM
I hit someone at SpamTown Open in Austin a few years ago. I was driving hole 26, and while my drive was turning perfectly, an old man walked out of the softball field and right into my disc. I was worried, but then I remembered the disc had Pete Middlecamp's name on it. :cool: The old guy was ok, it was a 150 Valk and it was at the end of its flight.

Once, I got hit in the head with a Whippet. My partner was tossing me my lie in a game of doubles. Only I didn't know that. It dropped me right to the ground. I was seeing stars!!

Jan 07 2005, 04:20 PM
this girl from housten hit my buddy jim bridges in the eye whan he was standing BEHIND the teebox.....she tried to throw it very hard and griplocked it.....she released it behind herself and it hit jim and knocked him out cold.......now I was not their I and i am just relaying his story.....I wish I was their.... :D

greenbeard
Jan 07 2005, 06:02 PM
some foo sky'ed a drive on a windy day at Zboaz on #3. The #9 teebox is parallel to 3, and his skyrocket hyzered upupupupup.... and missed my head by a foot, tombstoning to my immediate front-right. The colonpunchers didn't say fore or anything yet I'm less than forty feet away.

Jan 07 2005, 06:17 PM
I got hit by a husky 12 year old who was just starting out. It was his third shot on a long hole, so he really put some mustard on it, and grip locked, 90 degrees. I was standing even with him about 30 feet away and took it right in the ear! Man that hurt. Good thing he was just starting out and did not know how to throw.

If the kid knew how to throw your safety would have been greatly improved. :D

Jan 07 2005, 06:18 PM
I've also been hit with discs a few times... I think Flyin_High's hit me with a driver from about 60ft. (good shot, I was just in the way)

Jan 08 2005, 07:51 AM
I know a guy that hit a dude in a wheelchair...(rshelton) :eek:

danknug
Jan 08 2005, 05:26 PM
tulsa is a slut backwards :D

danknug
Jan 08 2005, 05:28 PM
that sounds horrible

Jan 08 2005, 07:05 PM
I've been hit a few times. The most memorable was a Sabre to the face from 10' by my mom. Another memorable one was the Cyclone tommahawk to the back from 10'.

I've never hit a person but I have hit some animals. Once I hit a dog. Actually, the dog played "The Bodyguard" with my disc and saved the basket from an almost cetrain hit. It was with a ROC from about 180'.

But this one time, I was golfing with some friends and we came to this big field and about 300' away on a bank was this huge Owl. We took turns taking shots at the owl and it became a victim to my 300' Illusion knife hyser! My friends also put some discs very close to the owl. We all came away with Talon marks on our discs.

(the owl was fine)
:cool:

Jan 08 2005, 10:31 PM
I have hit Bob Macalure from Brown Park with an X2 about 4-5 years ago. On hole 3 your throwing an anhyzer on a blind hole. Now this was at ace race keep in mind, I launch my X2 out and around, at the end it hits the ground and skips towards the next hole. From HIS prespective, he was going to grab a disc out of his bag and the disc skipped up right then and hit him right above the eyebrow. He said it felt like someome shot him in the head. He still gives me sh*t for it to this day. Sorry Bob!

Jan 08 2005, 10:34 PM
I saw someone get hit today but i'll let the thrower come on and tell the story. All I have to say is don't turn your back on her.

Jan 08 2005, 10:43 PM
I saw someone get hit today but i'll let the thrower come on and tell the story. All I have to say is don't turn your back on her.

You are not right for that!!! :)

I did make it in his bag and i think we should have gotten a birdie for it!!

Bag.....basket....whatever ;)

Jan 09 2005, 12:42 AM
I got a good one. A friend and I had the idea to film some throws with his roomates super 8 while we were playing at Westmoreland in Eugene, Oregon. We drove on hole three and thought it was pretty cool. So my friend goes to get his discs by the teepad of hole nine, and we decide to film as he throws back to two basket right next to me. Throws the first way right. Second one way left. Third one is a nice forehand shot that starts to flatten out and looks like its going right for the basket. Its funny cause I actually said, ``This one looks pretty good,`` as it came straight at the camera. I just barely pulled the camera out of the way to take the shot in the stomach right above my crotch. When you watch it you can hear the, ``ooommppffff`` as the disc hits me. I started laughing and said, ``s**t that hurt, cant wait to watch it.`` Its was funny since the camera didnt get hit and I was lucky not to take one to the boys. Its hillarious to watch. I could actually feel where it hit for two days after that. Even funnier is my friend goes on to throw a fourth shot without even hesitating. What a guy. Seems obvious now, but for everyone reading, dont film from the basket point of view. AHHH Good Times...

stevemaerz
Jan 09 2005, 01:26 AM
I was hit in the back by a disc once. I have never hit anyone but I had a very scary close call back in the 80's that made me very cautious ever since.
I was in Baltimore and practicing with about 50 others for a distance competition. Everyone would throw their discs and then all go out and retrieve them all at the same time. Well it was shorly after the "cease fire" that I had one more disc I wanted to launch quick before running out to retrieve. I shanked my shot horribly and it was headed right for the back of some woman's head. Just as the disc was about to strike her she bent over to pick up a disc and my disc flew over her right where her head was just a milisecond before. From that day forward I took extra caution about throwing with anyone within striking distance.

Jan 09 2005, 03:27 AM
I hit a baby stroller this past summer. It was a new valk that just didn't turn over. I yelled at the individual who was pushing the cart, he pulled it back, and it slammed into the wheel about 3 inches from a 1-year-old's leg. What was amazing is that the parent didn't come curse me out, didn't sue me, and didn't sue the parks system. He just said everything was alright and kept walking. I almost hit some kids sitting on a park bench with their dad, and got chewed out much worse. And it was a good two feet over their head!

discraft_elite
Jan 09 2005, 05:10 AM
I got ya beat. Our disc course is next to a mentally handicap place. One day when i was out there playing a round, i came up on hole 11, and there were some people by the basket. Upon closer observation, it was apparent that it was a handicap kid (with the crutch thingys to help him walk) and two adults. I waited for them to move, which they didn't. so i went halfway up the fairway and yelled if i could play through. they waved me on, but didn't move. I had to get back to class (playin a round inbetween, gotta love college) and wanted to finish. so i teed off anyways. beautiful S-curve with my Z-XS... nailed the kid in the middle of the back. he just kinda stumbled; didn't fall down. and the great thing was, the people he was with weren't mad, they were just impressed by the great shot (it was a tap in)

JohnKnudson
Jan 10 2005, 12:35 PM
Wow, I don't even know what to post...as if jerkoff Graham's post about hitting an owl wasn't bad enough, Discraft_Jagbag posts about hitting a handicapped kid in the back.

Keep these awesome stories coming! I think if a few more people post stories about how they hit kids, baby strollers, or joggers, all the park districts around the world will be even more excited about putting in disc golf courses.

John

gnduke
Jan 10 2005, 12:46 PM
Or at least they will understand the dangers of placing targets right beside walking/jogging/bike paths and might place some warning signs around the park that there is a disc golf course in the park and to beware of flying discs.

I would rather have a parks department be well aware of the dangers and plan accordingly before putting a course in the ground than have them pull the course after the first incident of a non-player getting hit by an errant disc.

JohnKnudson
Jan 10 2005, 12:57 PM
Duke,

It would be nice if the park department would post signs alerting people to the dangers presented by flying discs; however, the responsibility for ensuring that a throw does not hit another park user falls on the shoulders of the disc golfer and, to a lesser extent, the course designer.

John

Jan 10 2005, 12:58 PM
I have been hit with my own disc.....

Playing doubles, after I make the putt, my partner picks my disc out of the basket. As we are walking to the next tee box, I am talking with a member of the other team. Unknown to me, my partner tosses me my disc (underhand) and calls my name while it is mid flight. I turn around just in time for my putter to crack me in the teeth. It hurt pretty dang bad, but he felt terrible for it since it was unintentional, that was 9 months ago and he still feels bad for it.

Jan 10 2005, 01:00 PM
But this one time, I was golfing with some friends and we came to this big field and about 300' away on a bank was this huge Owl. We took turns taking shots at the owl and it became a victim to my 300' Illusion knife hyser! My friends also put some discs very close to the owl. We all came away with Talon marks on our discs.

(the owl was fine)
:cool:

You are an idiot dude. Seriously! What kind of a loser throws a disc at a bird for no reason. Grow up man.

20460chase
Jan 10 2005, 01:46 PM
The same person that would make a thread about a undetectable way to cheat.

Jan 10 2005, 02:22 PM
I was playing catch with "birdie" at geneseo with a putter, and he didn't see me toss it to him. It was goin' straight 4 his nose. Luckily(4 me&him) it the bill of his cap as he was running uphipll at me! Close call! It was 2 days b 4 the peoria A tier. So i'm glad it didn't hurt him since he ended up playing really well that weekend. Whew!

danknug
Jan 10 2005, 03:31 PM
PEOPLE ARE FUNNY :D

gnduke
Jan 10 2005, 05:32 PM
I agree that the responsibility for not throwing while others may be hit falls on the player, but reducing the likelihood of other park patrons being in harms way falls on the course designer and parks department.

With properly designed courses and proper signage, there should not be anyone standing around or walking through the areas where a "good" shots might land. Given the variety and length of bad shots I have seen, it would be pretty much impossible to make a multi use park completely safe, but at least you could layout a course without putting the basket 15' from a walking path or having the fairway cross over the jogging trail.

Jan 10 2005, 06:16 PM
I have never hit anyone while throwing a disc. <font color="red"> But I have tried many many times. </font> :p

Boneman
Jan 10 2005, 06:19 PM
I haven't ever hit anyone ... but I have nearly had my head taken off by a friend.
After making a seriously crappy drive. I was walking ahead of my friend Luke (who was throwing lefty because of a wrist injury). He was looking to make up some D and really put all this might into a lefty drive. I was way to the left of him, and thought there was no way I was interferiing with his shot. He ripped it, and it went about 5 inches in front of my face at full speed. Man ... the sound was frightening! I hate to think what that disk would have done to my face if it had hit me.
I will never walk in front of, or to the side of anyone who is throwing now.

JohnKnudson
Jan 10 2005, 06:25 PM
General (and others),

I agree that course designers have a responsibilty to take the safety of other park users into consideration by designing fairways that do not cross jogging trails or other park features; however, I believe that it is the responsibility of the thrower to ensure that both the fairway and the surrounding area are clear before throwing. It is this concept that seems to be lost on some of the people who have posted on this thread (just to be clear, I am not including GenDuke in this group). Even on a hole that does cross a walking path, there is no excuse for someone throwing a shot when a walker is clearly visible.

What a concept! Don't throw when someone is in the way of "your" fairway, and you won't have any "funny" stories to post about hitting people.

gnduke
Jan 10 2005, 07:38 PM
I still think that it is not so much the PDGA member/tournament player that we need to be overly concerned about. Accidents will happen even with cautious players.

The biggest hazard comes from casual players on the course. If the course has blind holes near walkways, or shots that easily put multi-use areas at risk, they should be redesigned to lessen the risk. Unfortunately just adding a mandatory may not be enough to make casual players avoid those areas. The target or tee box may need to be moved to prevent accidents.

Pearlwhitson
Jan 10 2005, 11:57 PM
Clearly the responsibility begins with the person throwing the disc, yes and course design can help minimize situations that foment collisions but there are also plenty of courses in public parks that have everything from dogs running loose to wandering naive families with children to mountain bikers shooting across the fairway. Seems to me it comes back to the thrower staying aware and erring on the side of caution. Of course I should mention that about two years ago on my first time playing a course I threw a disc that hit woman on the leg. It took me awhile to get over that. <font color="black"> </font>

stevemaerz
Jan 11 2005, 12:15 AM
Excellent point made concerning responsibility and safety. Amazingly you accomplished this in your very first post congratulations! Many of the posters here have three or four thousand posts before they say anything that makes any sense.
One word of advise to you as a new participant on this board: avoid anything controversial with a poster named Nick Kight unless you have nothing better to do than spend a week or more discussing stuff and beating your head into a wall.

Jan 11 2005, 03:37 AM
I haven't yet, but I have been with someone who has hit a bystander with a drive, and with someone else who was hit with a drive. In both cases nobody was hurt bad, but the possibility is there. I am currently working with the parks department of a local city to redesign and existing course that is very unsafe, but as long as disc golf is played in public parks (which I hope is forever) it will be the throwers responsibility to make sure the fairway is clear. In some cases one is better off skipping holes with too much traffic or picnickers.

danknug
Jan 11 2005, 10:45 AM
I AM EXTREMELY CAREFUL I HAVE NEVER HIT ANYONE WITH A DISC ON ACCIDENT IN MY LIFE AND I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE :D

danknug
Jan 11 2005, 10:50 AM
SOME OF THESE PEOPLE JUST NEED TO PULL THE BIG FAT STICK OUT OF THIER [*****]

Jan 11 2005, 11:58 AM
I HEARD YOU JASON, but seriously, its a good topic and glad you brought it up.

lauranovice
Jan 11 2005, 12:10 PM
Okay, this thread caused me to have a nightmare. I dreamt, last Saturday night, that I was playing a casual round with 3 guys and one had gone down to a basket, that can't be seen from the tee pad. Not being aware that he had gone to the basket, I threw a great shot, hit him in the head, dislodging a clot that caused a deadly brain aneurism.
Of course, that was just a dream. I've only actually hit one person, twice, with a disc. That was my husband while practicing putting. I've been hit twice.

danknug
Jan 11 2005, 02:08 PM
MY SPIRIT ANIMAL IS AN OWL :)

Jan 11 2005, 03:43 PM
MY SPIRIT ANIMAL IS AN OWL :)

It's the button that's immediately to the left of the 'A' key. Hit it once so the little light in the upper right hand corner of your keyboard goes off. ;)

bfunkyp
Jan 11 2005, 03:58 PM
There is a big open field right next to the course in Waterbury, VT. We always throw a few on the field after a round. My friend Jena walked ahead of us as I was about to throw a drive and I hit her in the side. She was fine, but I felt like an @$$ because I know it was my fault.

I have been hit by a big arm local who didn't yell fore, and I got hit in the nads when I was practicing putting with some friends. 175 Birdie in the groin dropped me like rock.

Nelle 18131
Jan 11 2005, 04:25 PM
I hit my own child with a disc once. :oHe was probably about 7 years old and we playing disc golf and he was riding his bike with his brother and sister. He was about 100 feet in front/side of me and I threw . All the sudden he made a quick turn and cut straigh across my line. We could tell it was going straight for him so we all started yelling for him to watch out. He kept on riding and the disc hit him in the head. Luckily he was wearing a chrome looking skateboard helmet and the disc just bounced off. Luckily he was not hurt in any way. We both learned a lesson form that one.

jasonc
Jan 11 2005, 04:57 PM
My lovely wife, Ginetta, managed to hit 2 people( one of them twice) and a dog playing one hole!! First drive off the pad she grip locked and threw the disc 90 degrees to the right hitting Juli Steele........next drive also grip locked (but not as bad) and she hit an old lady and her dog that were that were walking on the sidewalk. I guess after apoligizing to the old lady she was a little wound up because on the upshot she grip locked once again (really bad this time) and hit Juli yet again.........Juli was standing almost directly behind her so she thought she was safe :o:D:D

tbender
Jan 11 2005, 05:21 PM
Pellman's been hit. :o

My wife, Kat, was hit this weekend, while she was putting before the round. Another player drove and hit her on the knee--completely unintentional. It's a pretty nice little bone bruise, thankfully nothing more.

Of course I hit her during a CTP once--completely unintentional as well. :)

sciencet_cher
Jan 11 2005, 05:25 PM
Yes you are right Tony, one time I am for sure happy that I have a 12 pack and not a 6 pack!!!! :eek:

wheresdave
Jan 11 2005, 05:54 PM
Dont lie Pellman I seen you before and trust me it looks like you have a Keg not a 6 pack :o:D

sciencet_cher
Jan 12 2005, 12:36 PM
Am I going to have to file another restraining order to keep you from peeking into my windows???

Moderator005
Jan 12 2005, 03:09 PM
Any reason why you are partial to Sodium Amide?

klemrock
Jan 12 2005, 03:35 PM
I've been a part of several "collisions":

1994, I was hit in the head by a Viper thrown by Alex "Rifleman" Bingman. Yes, it hurt. Yes, he still deuced the hole.

In 2002, I once hit a soccer player - accidentally - who refused to leave the fairway. It really beaned his shin. A all-out brawl between soccer leagues and dg leagues nearly ensued.

In 2001, a friend's Valk turned too fast and nailed a goose right in the neck. The goose lived, but refused medical attention.

Also in 2002, I hit my 4-year-old son in the head with a putter while teaching him how to catch [bad] throws.

Thank goodness I don't go bowling......

Jake L
Jan 12 2005, 03:40 PM
I also hit my dog once, It was in GVegas, breezy was less than a year old. I was getting ready to throw and didn't see she had started down the fairway. When I saw her, it was too late, and because I was now looking at my dog, and not the target, the dog became the target. I hit her right in the arse, she yelped. She stays behind me now.

Jan 12 2005, 03:46 PM
<chemistry> A greenish or reddish crystalline substance, NaNH2, obtained by passing ammonia over heated sodium.
:D:D:D

rhett
Jan 12 2005, 04:16 PM
I hit my son right between the butt-cheeks once. He had just birdied hole 17 at Morley to take an insurmountable lead, and made some appropriately gloating statement. He then turned and ran because he didn't know what I would do. With a cat-like response I instinctively gave chase, but realized immedaitely I would never catch the little speedster. Luckily for him we were in the "real men play with only one disc" era, and that one disc was an Aero. I let loose a verticle two-finger blade style shot that hit pay-dirt right on target. It almost stuck.

He fell down and complained, but I didn't really throw it that hard so we laughed afterwards.

Would've been a different ending if the disc had been an Orc!

Smiley_J
Jan 12 2005, 04:31 PM
I have a few stories...the only time I hit somebody was when I was throwing down hill and the guy I was playing with wasn't looking. He was a bigger guy and it nailed him in the shin, dropping him to the ground.
Oh but what goes around comes around... my friends girlfriend was throwing from behind me and this time it was I who wasn't looking and all of a sudden bam! I didn't know what happened but my neck was sore and it sounded like a disc hit a tree but much closer.
Then there was the time when I was teaching my girlfriend to play, she was stepping up for the drive when she grip locked and nailed me in the side of the head. Yeah what a girlfriend.
However, the best story of all, which I wish was caught on tape, was when my friends and I were out playing and we had a newbie girl playing with us. She threw the disc up, it stalled, hyzered, came back down and landed in my girlfriends bag she was carrying at the time. A perfect landing into the outside pocket for putters! It also happened to be my girlfriends disc she borrowed to the newbie. Discs know who they belong to I guess.

Jan 13 2005, 12:21 AM
Thats a pretty crazy finishing story. Would be one for americas funniest videos if caught on tape. I sent the tape of me getting hit to some show but never heard back. Was hoping for 500 bucks. So if anyone sees it let me know. Im surprised theres no stories from De La Vleaga. Ive almost been hit a couple times when I went to the masters there last year. Man the discs really come screaming in from the top of the world shot on you when standing on tee one. The blue discs are invisible even when you someone yells fore and you know its coming. Had one come over a group of ten of us. Heard fore way early, everyone starts looking up and around, then 5 seconds later buzzes over the top of the group. Everyone just looked at each other and gave that lucky that didnt hit any one type of laugh of relief. Pretty scary from that high up.

danknug
Jan 13 2005, 01:33 AM
did you not like my owl comment?

Jan 13 2005, 02:15 AM
lost count on how many people i've takin out.
now i wear hockey pads and have a grill piece.
protect ya neck!

dm4
Jan 13 2005, 04:13 PM
Four or five of us were playing catch with a 165g freestyle frisbee near the main entrance to the St. Louis Zoo, waiting for the rest of our group. Most of us knew how to "toss" the disc to the next person, realizing how close we were to other people. The disc landed near a person that must not have known about the "toss", because he picks it up and wings it. As I think about this now, I am imagining one of those Matrix seens where the action slows and the action unfolds. Out of nowhere, a girl from our group comes running down to one of her friends. The disc impacts her on the bridge of the nose. She was less than 10 feet from the thrower. She grabs her knees in pain. Next thing I know, blood everywhere! Of course it was broken. At least she got to experience a large emergency room (we are from rural Kansas). :D

Jan 17 2005, 01:39 PM
I've never hit anyone, but...

Spring 03, my first season of golf. I'm on Toronto Island with a couple of friends, I don't think I've even played half a dozen rounds at this point. We get to hole #16 and the city worker dudes who drive the lawn tractors have parked their tractors under the big tree (the checkpoint) and are taking a break. It's like 11:10am (coffee break? lunck break? slack break?). So we sit down around the tee pad, have a little lunch. We hang out for about 20 min. Finally my one buddy goes up and tells the guys we are going to play through. The one dude gets up, tells the other one to get up, and goes off to the side to watch. The one dude is still lying down under the tree and refuses to get up, he's on his break. So on we go... As I'm retrieving my disc from a tree all I hear is "Walter, you hit him!". I start giggling and head over to the scene. What I see is this old dude standing up, with his hand over his eye. He pulls his hand down and all can see is blood, it's pouring down his face! I thought for sure the guy had been blinded, turned out it was just his eye brow that was sliced open. Needless to say there was a bit of a scene, and my buddies high tailed it back to the mainland. I wanted to finish out the round, but what can ya do.

So yeah, I learned very early on "hit the chains, not the people". Although I have to say, in a way that guy kinda deserved it, he knew exactly what we were doing and got himself bloody eye for not minding the golfers!

Jan 17 2005, 06:38 PM
Bounced one off my cat's head while he was in his litter box (I was putting in my basement). Whenever I pick up a disc now, he is gone like lightning.

Also got 2 others, one funny, one not. Tossed my putter from a hilltop toward my wife who was on her cellphone (60 ft away). Of course the thing starts homing in on her so I yell, she turns, freaks, trips, pinwheels her arms just like in a cartoon (I kid you not), and sits down hard on the pavement. Disc went about 3 feet over her head, but she was not pleased. I was very sorry but the scene was so comical. Ever try to apologize to your wife while laughing at her?

Last April at a family reunion in Paducah, we were playing at a park that has no course (but should�it is beautiful). We were making up the holes as we went. My boys had thrown and I was waiting for a father and son to clear the area (the boy was about 4, and was holding a frisbee). I decided they were out of range, plus my boys were heckling me for thinking I could throw that far. I unleashed a low, hard liner with a Valk that turned and headed right for them. I yelled my lungs out, and as they turned and the disc was about to pass them by, the little boy, thinking it was just another frisbee, reached out to try and catch it. It hit him in the fingers at pretty good speed, and he howled with pain. I was thinking the dad would be all over me as I ran up to them, but he was very cool. I, however, was a total wreck for days. I'll never throw a disc with anyone remotely in the way again.

Chris Hysell
Jan 17 2005, 07:21 PM
I watched Joe P beat Bill Davis to the ground with an X Clone. A few head shots and Bill gave up. It was cool.

Jan 17 2005, 10:11 PM
I saw a buddy hit his dog with a sidearm one day. 1st run valk, sidearm from about 100ft away. The dog yelped, but was okay. the owner's response:
"its okay, he didn't see ME throw it."

rizbee
Jan 18 2005, 01:38 AM
My son got hit during one of our rounds today. We had just putted out (#4, Morley, San Diego) and were turning to walk to the next basket, and the disc came almost straight down, hit him on his arm and chest as he was pulling the bag strap onto his shoulder. I think the taught strap took some of the force.

The shot came from an uber-newbie who had teed of on #5 (underhand, straight up), about 60ft. away. He yelled "fore" just in time for us to look up and see A.J. get hit. A.J. shrugged it off, but he has a pretty good-sized bruise on his forearm.

I think the moral to the story is YELL "FORE", especially with some lead time for the people under fire. If you're playing with someone who doesn't know to yell "fore", exercise your lungs!

Jan 18 2005, 09:10 AM
I saw a buddy hit his dog with a sidearm one day. 1st run valk, sidearm from about 100ft away. The dog yelped, but was okay. the owner's response:
"its okay, he didn't see ME throw it."

One guy has a Jack Russel Terrier that he brings to the course every now and then. Before he learned to bring a frisbee for the dog to chase, his dog would run after our discs and chew them up. After one person in our group threw, the dog ran after his disc and was about 200ft out in the fairway. It was my turn to throw and I let my leopard rip. I let go slightly early and low (by accident), and the disc hit the ground and skipped into the dogs hind quarters. The owner never mentioned if I actually hurt the dog or not, it seemed fine. But even the owner was laughing with the rest of us, because we always said we wanted to chuck a disc at it, one guy even constantly rolls Roc's at the dog in attempt to hit him.

It's not animal cruelty after it destroys a Lavonne Wolfe Roc.

Jan 18 2005, 12:12 PM
What is a Lavonne Wolfe Roc???
I keep hearing about them, but have no clue what they are... :confused:

johnbiscoe
Jan 18 2005, 12:16 PM
I watched Joe P beat Bill Davis to the ground with an X Clone. A few head shots and Bill gave up. It was cool.

i thought it was thomas doing the beating.

Jan 18 2005, 01:48 PM
Lavonne Wolfe, PDGA# 580, founder of the Disc Golf Hall of Fame, and Huntsville Alabama resident, ran a series of discs, Aviars, Valks, Beasts, and last but not least, Rocs. These were of the harder DX plastic similar to San Marino Rocs. And they flew just as good, and are perfect turnover Rocs.

Lavonne made his final run last summer, and now they are no longer available. I believe because he can no longer get the plastic.

Jan 18 2005, 01:56 PM
thanks!
I'm off to e-bay to look for one...

kittenchick
Jan 19 2005, 11:28 PM
I got hit by a disc :( :(

Jan 20 2005, 12:16 AM
I almost dished out a horrendous hit on my buddy when I was first learning. I was teeing off with my 175 Valk and he was standing maybe 60 degrees off the line I should have thrown on, on the right around 10 feet away and like many other newb related posts, I locked the grip and sailed one full speed that went around two feet above his head and hit a tree. We just all looked at each other for a stunned moment while everyone in the group was visualizing what almost happened and I just apologized over and over for a good minute, thanking the disc gods for not actually getting him. He always stayed behind me after that and still does to this day.

I got my paybacks when shortly after that, I took my 11 year old son out for his first or second day of disc golfing and we get to this really long hole and after two throws, he still can't see the pin so he announces "I'm going to really wail this one out there dad!" and so like a stupid but proud dad, I stood 90 degrees to the side of him, around 7 to 10 feet away. He let's loose with a loud "aaaaaaghghghg" that a karate master would have been proud of and after grip locking, he promptly nails me in the leg about three inches from being sqa in da nuts. I drop to one knee and then get up to try to walk it off as the pain really kicks in but my leg gives out so I keep going back to one knee and repeating the up-down-up-down in little circles for a good 20 seconds. He was trying to apologize but was cracking up at the same time in disbelief that he nailed me. The fact that he was 11and the pain it dished out made me appreciate even more that I didn't nail my friend in the head.

chainmeister
Jan 23 2005, 01:43 AM
Yeah, it happened a few weeks ago and not on a course. Our family was at a memorial service. Things had wound down and my 13 year old daughter knew that I had my bag in the trunk. "Dad, lets go throw a few." I couldn't resist. We took putters and practiced getting distance in a very large parking lot. I was practicing a new way to throw and finally figured it out. I ripped one way futher than my previous throws and hit an elderly lady in the side. I yelled, "fore" but too late and not loud enough. Fortunately, she was ok. I was completely embarrassed. My daughter couldn't stop snickering and couldn't wait to tell her mother when we got back inside.

Jan 23 2005, 02:11 AM
I actually threw a shot right by a guys head today. There was a pair of guys ahead of me as I waited on the tee pad. It was a 353 foot straight shot, normally I can easily throw it past the basket onto the backstop of a softball fence, so I patiently waited for the guys to hole out, noting that it took them 4-5 shots to hole out.

One of the guys had already holed out as I saw the last guy putting. As he finished he waved me on to throw. I figured since he waved, he was going to watch my throw. I toss my EL straight at the basket holding a nice turn-over route, and right after I release it, the first guy walks back into the green and bends down to pick up a disc. As he was hunched over, the disc flew about 1 foot from the right side of his head, sliding within two feet of the pin.

As I walked up, the guy said "Wow, I never heard a disc fly, that was really cool". Then the guy who waved me said, "Man, I never knew anyone could throw that far." I just shrugged my shoulders, and apologized to the guy I almost hit. They then let me play ahead of them on the next holes.

superberry
Jan 23 2005, 12:42 PM
I came awfully close to launching a "widow-maker". We were playing at the Kewaunee course and I let one fly off the 480ft #10 ski hill. Well, I let it go too hard, some people were working on the lift booth about 200 feet further downhill. I had a FEELING it would come close, but all I could do was stare in amazement as it soared down the hill. It would up craching into the booth and breaking the siding, about 5 feet from the workers. I felt like an @$$ when I went to go get it because I hadn't yelled FORE and it scared the jesus out of them! I bet that disc had some speed and force behind the downhill shot, a head-shot may have been deadly. I've been throwing putters off the top since.

nix
Jan 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Looks like a nice course and fun hole!

http://webpages.charter.net/berrybunch/Tee%20Pictures_files/image068.jpg

vinnie
Jan 23 2005, 01:35 PM
looks like the tuboggin in Mich.

Chris Hysell
Jan 23 2005, 01:50 PM

i thought it was thomas doing the beating.

I was there and witnessed the whole thing. It was definitely Joe Pintavale. Chicken and I sat back and enjoyed the show. Bill eyes even rolled back in his head before it was over.

Cdale600
Jan 25 2005, 01:19 PM
I got hit in the cheek/nose right below my left eye this weekend. Still have a huge shiner. The guy that threw it is an eye doctor. Knocked my contact out and split the bridge of my nose.

Picture- Not necessarily for the faint of heart (http://atlas.walagata.com/w/cdale600/Picture026.jpeg)

Jan 25 2005, 03:21 PM
What disc was it that did that to you? Sharp edged driver? Midrange? a Putter???? It had to be going fast to break blood vessels in your eye.

By your eye, it looks like you were playing at Bud Hill.........just kidding, thats a great course, Danny and Barbara do a great job of keeping it up. You should come down and play George Ward someday, very similar in difficulty to Bud Hill.

Cdale600
Jan 25 2005, 03:44 PM
It was a Breeze. I was about 50 feet in front and about 40 feet to the right sitting on the next teebox. This was at Tishomingo. You going to Hattiesburg or Jackson this weekend?

Jan 25 2005, 05:29 PM
No I have to save money for Bowling Green and World Doubles, but I will be at the Florence Ice Bowl.

Cdale600
Jan 25 2005, 06:22 PM
I'm debating Florence, but I am going to BG for sure. I'm also going up to the Nashville Crosstown Open in Hendersonville/Gallatin. That was my second tournament (last year's) and I'm excited about some revenge on those long courses now that I've gained a little D.

Nelly
Jan 26 2005, 02:14 AM
Wow cdale,
I saw the thing about 30 mins after it happened. It definately has worsened. Good news is that you can see and that the dude who hit you (ironically, luckily, mistakingly, guy must suck) was an eye doctor. Bad news is no-one is going to look you in the eyes for a while. Hope it does'nt affect your RIPT skills.

Cdale600
Jan 26 2005, 10:56 AM
Nelly I can take you down at Ript anytime you want. I won't let your mad lefty skilz pay the billz at this all you can eat diner...

dischick
Jan 26 2005, 11:39 PM
i have been hit in the head once, at my home course i hit someone in the head and knocked him out, at worlds i hit not 1 but 2 pros in the head (no names mentioned), i saw someone hit some old guy who ended up needing stitches, i saw some guy hit a crane (the bird) in california, and i once almost got whailed at in the head by a woodchuck while putting- there were witnesses.

Jan 27 2005, 02:54 AM
Jen sorry but that was funny when Nate beaned you. You should have socked him a few times

dischick
Jan 27 2005, 10:43 AM
oh i forgot about that one! make that twice that i got hit in the head.
thanks for being so concerned......at the time it was not funny, nor would it have been funny if i assualted someone.

supperbagger
Jan 27 2005, 11:26 AM
so far i have never fit anyone with a disc... i dont think.

johnrhouck
Jan 27 2005, 02:09 PM
I agree that the responsibility for not throwing while others may be hit falls on the player, but reducing the likelihood of other park patrons being in harms way falls on the course designer and parks department.

With properly designed courses and proper signage, there should not be anyone standing around or walking through the areas where a "good" shots might land.

To me, the goal for the designer should be that no one is ever standing around or walking where a BAD shot would land. Bad shots are always going to happen, and sometimes unimaginably bad shots happen. Tee placement in particular is crucial.

I've had two cases where someone wanted to hire me design a course, and I had to turn them down for safety reasons. It wasn't much fun to drive five hours each way, only to say, "I'm sorry, you just can't put a course in this park," but sometimes that's the right call.

Nelly
Jan 29 2005, 03:18 AM
wow dischick,
that's alot of stuff that has gone down. U must be an avid observer.

I just want to know one thing, is it Disc-Hick, or dis-chick
gotcha thinking.....

nelly

dischick
Jan 30 2005, 07:10 AM
haha...i get ripped on all the time....
whatever im a chick........... and if you think im a hick? go to WVO..... i dont think i blend in.....

gotcha thinkin............

Feb 02 2005, 03:40 PM
both you guys will fall before the might of the birdie...

yep thats right shizle is in the hizle.

Shawn
JRP

Feb 03 2005, 07:03 PM
A couple of years ago, during Mr. Jim's, I turned a shot over on hole 1 (Greenbelt)...it headed straight for the creek, only to be saved by hitting a kid in the *****. I saved a stroke and my 1st run Valk from a watery grave.. :) Those kids were waiting to loot discs out of the creek anyway, then charge you for getting them.... grrr...

Cdale600
Feb 03 2005, 07:30 PM
both you guys will fall before the might of the birdie...

Shawn
JRP

Didn't you take that out of the bag because you were too embarrassed to be seen with it?

Nelly
Feb 12 2005, 08:39 PM
Just to "clearify".. Cdale and I played with shawn this weekend and he was not making birdies with the birdie..

just an update on trash talk..

Feb 15 2005, 06:02 PM
At the Ice Bowl in Peoria this year, I was on 12 at Bradley and i threw an Orc and it sailed straight at the 13 tee box. I tried to yell fore but kept thinking "there's no way it will hit him." Well it did and right in the [*****]. I knew the guy so it was okay, but it was pretty funny.

TravisGrindle12
Feb 21 2005, 10:35 AM
The weekend after the worlds were held in charlotte(I think it was 96) Sanford was lucky enough to have C tier and some out of area pros stayed around and entered. I was warming up showing Ron Russell around the course when we got to Hole 15.
Old Hole 15 at OT slaon Park was a 90 degree dogleg left. It went straight for about 190ft then turned left and up hill for about another 100 feet. There was a forrest of tall pines on the left hand side with limbs jutting out into the fairway at the turn. Most people either layed up at the turn or threw a roller.

Ron decided to try to go over the trees. He threw a couple that the pines ate up. Then on his final try the wind caught the disc and took it over the trees we stared yelling four because people were putting on the basket but they did not pay attention because no one had ever gotton close to that basket. Any way Fred Hallaman( who now lives in charlotte) Looks up at the last minute and the disk hits him in the chest as he is getting his putter out of the chains. After we made sure he was alright and laughed about it Fred went up to the basket and we looked at the bruise on his chest and we could tell that the disc would have hit solid in the chains.
So thanks to Fred that hole was never aced before it had to be moved.

MTL21676
Feb 21 2005, 01:47 PM
I got hit twice this weekend in a tournament :D

20460chase
Feb 21 2005, 02:08 PM
I got hit twice this weekend in a tournament :D

On purpose? :D

MTL21676
Feb 21 2005, 02:13 PM
well the first one was a roller and it me in the ankle and gave that person a much easier up shot

Verdict : on purpose

The second one skipped into me as I sitting near a road saving it from going OB - there was also some clapping when they saw they hit me

Verdict: on purpose

jefferson
Feb 21 2005, 02:16 PM
the real question is: did those two collect the reward?

gnduke
Feb 21 2005, 04:10 PM
Just wondering, what is the current bounty for hitting him ? :D

jefferson
Feb 21 2005, 04:28 PM
it varies from tourney to tourney... but a head shot will earn you at least $5 per witness. if rick black is there, you might earn a '01.

Plankeye
Feb 21 2005, 04:47 PM
a clear '01?

jefferson
Feb 21 2005, 05:00 PM
only if the headshot knocks him off a bridge into a creek...

MTL21676
Feb 21 2005, 05:05 PM
so thats where Dickerson got one

Paul Taylor
Feb 21 2005, 08:35 PM
About 4 years ago I was playing my 2nd shot on hole #1 on the Rolling Meadows course at Circle R when a guy was hit in the back of the head on hole 8 across the creek. It was a group of deaf disc golfers from Austin. The guy that was hit was a bigger guy(muscular) and bald. I would say he was probably 60-75 feet in front of the guy that threw the discs. The one that threw the disc was a much smaller guy and skinny. After the incident the smaller guy was standing back where he had released the disc trying to make as much noise as he could with four fingers held up in the air. The bigger guy yelled back afterwards making as much noise as he could with ONE finger held up in the air. I first thought this is not going to be pretty, but they continued playing. At least it was a DX disc.

To say that I don't understand much sign language is an understatement, but I knew exacly what these two guys were saying at the time.

hazard
Feb 21 2005, 11:12 PM
I've hit a few people and been hit by a few. Some of them were even unintentional.

Someone in my group was hit in the back of the calf at Richlands during the Fall Classic last year. The disc went OB and probably wouldn't have otherwise. The guy who got hit felt sorry for the thrower.

Just yesterday I only missed one of the Dunn brothers with an errant practice putt because he was leaning over at the time. Disc sailed beautifully right over his head. I think it was my US-1 prostyle though...I could chuck that at someone as hard as possible and probably only do permanent damage if I hit an eye.

I've had a roller that tried to climb the back of TThe CheaTT's leg before...usually when we're walking to the car after the round and I'm trying to flip easy rollers past him and Twig; we're not talking about a full force roller here.

On the other hand, I've also just stood around and caught people's drivers for fun before.

jefferson
Feb 22 2005, 11:56 AM
Someone in my group was hit in the back of the calf at Richlands during the Fall Classic last year. The disc went OB and probably wouldn't have otherwise. The guy who got hit felt sorry for the thrower.

that was my drive, only OB of the round. the spotter gave the inbounds signal, then a time out (yeah, time out), then the OB call. he shouldn't feel bad, it wasn't his fault. im glad he didn't get hurt, the spotter probably should have called fore.

Feb 23 2005, 02:20 PM
I got hit a couple of weeks ago in a practice round for the Buckhorn Open. A local intermediate misses a 10' putt, and then tries and misses again with another disc. Mad that he missed it twice, he takes a third disc and blasts it at the basket, but it doesn't even hit metal. I'm standing about 15' on the other side of the basket, waiting to putt out. I try to duck out of the way, but the disc hits me squarely in the forehead. Thankfully, it was just a Z-Challenger, so I wasn't really hurt, just ticked off.

Feb 23 2005, 03:34 PM
the spotter probably should have called fore.

Why? So I could get a good laugh? It's not like I was going to drop what I was doing and drive to Richlands just 'cuz some numb-nuts got hit on the calf. :D

Feb 23 2005, 03:49 PM
Snoop hit a noob from close range with a 360 drive at Cedar Hills last year, just before the Pro Crosstown. As I recall, he hit him in the side of the neck. Guy went down like he was shot. (I'll bet!)

Funny thing was, the guy said he'd only played Cedar once before, about a year earlier, and he'd gotten hit then, too. :eek:

Feb 23 2005, 08:38 PM
yea i was playing at Cedar hills in Raleigh NC and these leesville fags were not letting us play through so we decided just not to ask but go ahead and play through, it was on hole9 the guy was behind the basket and my friend lauched one, we yelled fore but he didnt look back and it nailed him in the lower back, and it was an orc so that had to hurt, we just waved at him and he couldnt complain cause we said fore and all his buddies looked back...hes just a moron.

Feb 25 2005, 07:07 PM
A group let me play through on a long hole in Oregon so I pulled out a brand new Flash and proceeded to let a rip go that turned over a bit and headed for a tree that was only about 80 away on the right side of the fairway. When it hit it sounded like it smacked the tree square and made a very loud tree-like noise except that it was followed by a loud scream from the guy in the group ahead who was letting me through and standing in front of the tree where his disc hit. The sound was actually him getting hit square in the arse. He went down very quickly and didn't get up for a while...he was fairly certain that he was bleeding, but nothing came through his pants and nobody asked him to pull them down. I apologized profusely but he wasn't angry at all because he was the one who told me to play through and he was watching the throw...it just got there so quickly that the only thing he had time to do was turn around and duck. I think the bending as he turned probably tightened him up a bit and that was the cause of the tree sound when he was hit.

Feb 25 2005, 07:10 PM
I also threw a 50-foot putt off the side of my friend's head and into the basket. I would have missed badly if he wasn't standing there so it was a good thing.

Feb 26 2005, 07:29 PM
check this out, i played a round with a local discer, i've known for about 2 years. and today he tells me that i hit him in the cheast, on a blind hole, a year ago. he seemed sorta mad a year later, what a bitchhhhhhhh

Sharky
Feb 26 2005, 07:50 PM
Did you apologize? :eek:

Feb 26 2005, 11:58 PM
no, i didn't believe him

Feb 27 2005, 12:16 AM
i think he was just trying to get in my head.

plus, anybody that hits somebody not on purpose, is usually sorry

but sometimes people deserve to get hit

disctance00
Feb 27 2005, 02:23 PM
So I'm playing with a beginner who happened to be some girl from Colorado visiting a buddy of mine here in Texas. I loan the girl a beat Z-XS, he gives her a putter, and we commence to playing a round. At first she is horrible and can't throw very hard and only gets 'em out about 75 feet or so. Well after about 11 holes I decide to walk up in front of her figuring I'm plenty far enough away when all the sudden I'm wacked in the back of the head like I have never felt before. I'm telling you she got me perfect, and with my XS mind you. It drops me to one knee and I'm kinda stunned for a minute when she comes running up apologizing and feeling absolutely horrible for it. I told her it was my fault I KNOW better but ignored the possibility that she could throw it that far. Well the very next day I go out to Wimberley to play the first monthly mini out there. Don't do so well in singles and proceed on to play doubles. Played the whole round pretty bad until the last hole of the day and last throw off the tee, and can an ace with the very same XS that wacked me the day before for $68 and a disc golf basket.

Feb 28 2005, 03:06 PM
i just started about a week ago and yesterday i was playing at a local park and there was 2 people in a sleeping bag right next to a tree that was by the basket. a deep creek(my friend has sank 2 new disks into one MIA) was to the right so i had to go left. i ended up hittin one of the people laying down in the head. she seamed kinda angry but who sleeps in the middle of a golf corse

esalazar
Feb 28 2005, 03:18 PM
thats freakin hilarious!! i guess the disc was okay!!LMAO :cool:

sleepy
Mar 16 2005, 01:13 AM
i have blasted 2 people first was my brother just started playing and i threw a dx gazelle as hard as i can and hit him about 75ft away right in the back of the neck glad hes a big guy. second i blasted a guy with a bb aviar from about 150ft away knocked his hat off his head at least 15 ft was a windy day couldnt hear me yelling he tried keeping my disc:) oops

kipster
Mar 16 2005, 06:29 PM
3 quickies only one involved me...

#2 at McClure in Tulsa - I had been playing for only a few months and I launch a KC Whippet over the water. Well all of a sudden coming up from the baseball/football field comes a mom with two little kids AND pushing a stroller. My buddies and I yell our heads off while I silently pray (don't hit a kid, don't hit a kid...). Well the disc spikes right into her neck/shoulder region. She takes it like a champ without flinching and when we get to her to see if she's ok - she doesn't speak a word of English and practically starts running away from us with her kids in tow. Guess she thought I did it on purpose, but she took the hit and it didn't seem to phase her.

My wife and I moved to Arizona, been there less than a week and she decided to go roller blading at Vista Del Camino with a buddy of hers. Well she had never been blading before and of course falls and breaks her wrist. Her friend has to roller blade home to get the car and take her to the hospital. While waiting she decides to sit underneath a nice shade tree (AZ in June smart move), which just so happens to be right by the basket on the shortest hole on the course (7 or 8 not sure, tee box right by the hotel, rocks behind the basket are OB). Well before her friend returns with the car to go to the ER at least 4 groups play through, all yelling at her before throwing (get the hell out of the way crazy lady), until they get to the hole and see her obviously broken wrist. Fortunately none hit her on the fly, but one skipped into her leg and another fell out of the tree onto her head.

Finally, sitting in the parking lot at Haikey Creek (back in OK) my friend (the Commish), his little brother and I are tossing a putter around. The little brother, with a cig in his mouth, asks for a lighter. The Commish obliges, tosses the light up about 20 feet in the air. While the bro was tracking the flight to catch the lighter, his bro tosses the putter - at his face, from about 15 feet away. It clocks him right between the nose and upper lip (ouch) without damaging the smoke. Classic shot that sure ticked his brother off.

Well not necessarily quickies, but memorable for me.

Mar 17 2005, 02:09 AM
Someone from the ADGA may recall this or even clarify it for me. It was VPO 97 or 98 when the Kelly course was added to the tourny. I did'nt witness it. But the story is that Pizza God aka Brian James was on the Kelly course threw a smoking hyzer that clocked a flamer on his head and cut it open. Reports were that the flamer hit the ground flauncing like a fish out of water, crying and screaming like a little school girl.

discgolfdog
Mar 17 2005, 03:04 PM
Don't know if it was Bryan J. but the city hasn't let us step foot in that park since.