Dec 10 2004, 04:09 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading here alot, and finally went ahead and joined up. My question is this: I have been playing for about two months, and love the game but am frustrated with little distance. I think one problem may be that I weigh 280 so I am not as physicaly fit as others. Any suggestions for succsess for someone of my stature?

circle_2
Dec 10 2004, 04:18 PM
Use your hips and torso to 'pull' the disc across your chest leading with your elbow. Slow(er) footwork and smoothness are what has helped me the most in my 7.5 years of playing.
A local player in KC who is an up-and-comer made some significant changes in his distance and accuracy... He summed it up like this - "I feel like I'm throwing over my head...but raising the line I pull across has helped me greatly!"

Dec 10 2004, 04:30 PM
Dont worry about your stature. I myself weigh about 245. and can throw them 430 ft... avg about 400ft. Their are also a couple bigger guys here and they can crush them as well. its all about getting the momentum into your throw, use alot of power from your legs and hips and this should increase distance a lot.

Dec 10 2004, 04:33 PM
How far are you throwing now? also. the better your technigue the further you will throw. i know of guys who can pretty much just stand their. and throw it 500ft. work on your technique. and accuracy first. then worry about distance, and focus more on putting in the early stages of playing. thats what i should have done.

Dec 11 2004, 05:39 PM
Great to hear that another big guy is playing disc golf. I am just like you, about 280. I love this sport and will never stop playing it. I wish I could give you help, but I am not very good myself. I, too, need to work on distance. I have only been playing for a little over a year. Any way, I just thought it was cool to hear that some larger men are playing this sport. I thought I was the only one!

Dec 11 2004, 08:10 PM
Being large definetly won't help your game. I struggle with my weight, and I don't think it's a coincidence that I play better when I'm around 215 then I do when I'm around 250.

stevemaerz
Dec 11 2004, 10:24 PM
Mr Z
While there are many benefits to maintaining a healthy weight, I wouldn't automatically blame your size for your lack of distance. Having only played for two months you have to be patient and realize distance will come after you have time to work on technique, watch more experienced players and get out to a field and launch em over and over. If you search the archives you'll find lots of advise on achieving more distance. That being said you'll have more success spending time practicing than you will sitting behind your computer. I wish you the best of luck.

Dec 11 2004, 11:42 PM
I weigh around 250, and I also throw about that..it used to be frustrating but I've became content with it.

discchucker
Dec 12 2004, 09:16 AM
I am a little bit bigger guy myself(6'2", 250 lbs.). When I first started I couldn't throw over 220 ft. All it takes is a little work on technique and you will start throwing further. The guy who got me started in DG is even bigger(6'6" and 350 lbs.) When I first started he could bomb a disc and he said when he first started he couldn't really throw too far either. So trust me when I say that you will eventually be able to throw past 250. It just takes some time. Also, get out and play more and try and find some of your local pro's. They will be able to give you some tips. After playing for 6 months I went out to some of our leagues and mini's and I learned a great deal and also got a ton of help from one of our local pro's(member of team innova). And it just keeps getting better everytime I go out to play. Here are a couple of questions for you.

What grip are you using?
What disc's are you using?
Are you using an x-step?

Here is a pretty good site for information on technique and such: http://www.discgolfreview.com
Blake can help quite a bit if you email him.

Dec 13 2004, 11:25 AM
I believe you can use your weight to your advantage, as someone mentioned earlier it's all about momentum. If you've only been playing for two months 250 really isn't that bad, once you get some consistency and accuracy down you'll be getting lots of pars.

Two things have helped me to acheive the D I'm getting these days. First I switched to 150 class drivers. If you are throwing really heavy discs in the 170's, try something a little lighter. The 2nd thing that has really helped, is the pull across the chest technique. It's kind of hard to describe without being able to show you, but I'll try:

Stand on the tee pad sideways, reach back with the disc as far as you can, while at the same time planting your forward foot down, then pull the disc across your chest, as if you were trying to start a boat motor or lawn more. You'll gain a ton of distance using this method, over just trying to arm it. Once you get that all down then you can add a few extra steps or a run up to really crush it.

Dec 13 2004, 02:01 PM
The key reason to pull across your chest is to use the larger back and shoulder muscles instead of your triceps and forearm muscles when throwing hard and long.

I have this very same problem, I "throw from my waist", although I can throw 430-450ft like this, I know that I am sacrificing alot of power and distance when not using my back. I mentioned this in a thread called "How to put your back in to it". I think one of the most important lessons a new player can get is to play casual rounds with pros. I have the opportunity to play with Tom Monroe at least twice a week, he has helped me go from never picking up a disc before in Feburary '04 to being one of the better advanced players in the state. Learn from the better people, watch what they do, try to emulate that. Ask questions to other golfers, most people are really cool about having others tag along and take "lessons" from them. Almost everybody wants this sport to grow, and teaching newbies is the way to do it.

Go out and have fun, worry about breaking 300ft later, it will come. You can also learn rollers.

cbdiscpimp
Dec 13 2004, 02:22 PM
Just ask Jamie Mosier how he throws. Hes about 6 ft and 350+ :eek: He can huck them out over 450 on a good rip and as much as i hate to say this he is one of the top ADV golfers in Michigan.

Dec 13 2004, 02:42 PM
...and as much as i hate to say this he is one of the top ADV golfers in Michigan.

I wonder if there is anyone who has any doubts as to who Pimp thinks THE top ADV golfer in MI is?

chris
Dec 13 2004, 02:46 PM
there is no difference between a top advanced and a average advanced player, they are still both AM's! :)

Dec 13 2004, 02:51 PM
there is no difference between a top advanced and a average advanced player, they are still both AM's! :)

I think the Pimp was just put in his place. I may be an AM, but I was already in my place. :)

greenbeard
Dec 13 2004, 02:57 PM

owned (http://webpages.charter.net/cptgreenbeard/showned.jpg)

I agree with worrying about power later. My distance is just now starting to come around, and the accuracy that I worked on first is making it all that much better.

cbdiscpimp
Dec 13 2004, 03:02 PM
I think the Pimp was just put in his place. I may be an AM, but I was already in my place.

LMFAO :D

Why is it that everytime i post there are 4 posts following mine that are in some way about me??? :confused:

gnduke
Dec 13 2004, 03:06 PM
A) You're just that popular.
B) You're just that unpopular.
C) You're such an easy target that no one can resist.

girlie
Dec 13 2004, 03:08 PM
Oooo C, I pick C!

:D

cbdiscpimp
Dec 13 2004, 03:35 PM
Oooo C, I pick C!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys crack me up. If it wasnt for this board i dont think i would make it threw my 12 hour Mondays at work :D

Dec 13 2004, 04:31 PM
You guys crack me up. If it wasnt for this board i dont think i would make it threw my 12 hour Mondays at work :D

Is that 12 discussion board hours or 12 actual hours? ;)

WakandaRat
Dec 13 2004, 04:34 PM
Try lots of drivers and find the right one for you. The distance will come with time, I started playing 3 years ago and I have just about added 50ft a year and can hit 400ft - 425 ft or more easy now. I am 6' 3" 250 lb
'
Just work on your throw, mechanics and use a disc that works for you. Watch other people throw helps to and compare it to yours.

cbdiscpimp
Dec 13 2004, 04:37 PM
Is that 12 discussion board hours or 12 actual hours? ;)

I work 8 to 8 on Mondays. :mad:

Dec 13 2004, 05:30 PM
A) You're just that popular.
B) You're just that unpopular.
C) You're such an easy target that no one can resist.

What about...
D) all of the above.

D gets my vote.

Dec 15 2004, 06:51 PM
Does being either large or small affect your game, comparing to a normal size person? Or is it all in technique?

cbdiscpimp
Dec 15 2004, 07:00 PM
It seems to me that you have to be an athletic and fairly fit person to be a TOP PRO. Kenny and Barry and Cam and Rico and McCoy and Snoop and Warren and Schweby and Brinster and all those guys seem to be pretty athletic and in shape guys. I would say having a background in some other sports and being athletic and fit helps alot because it allows you to develope and use proper technique. IE straight pullthrew. Maximum Reachback and coil. Smooth fluid light on the foot run up and high arm speed. Im not saying if your a BIG GUY that your not going to become a top pro all im saying is it helps to be in shape. Being little has nothing to do with it because Hammock is a pretty short guy and hes AMAZING at disc golf.

Dec 15 2004, 08:42 PM
Well there goes my excuse.... I'm pretty short and I thought that maybe the reason my drives aren't good is because I being shorter don't have as much leverage....

bschweberger
Dec 16 2004, 06:01 PM
I would not say I am in the greatest shape, but I will definitely agree that being small does not inhibit a player from being good/ or even great at this sport that we all love.

Dec 17 2004, 02:15 AM
Well there goes my excuse.... I'm pretty short and I thought that maybe the reason my drives aren't good is because I being shorter don't have as much leverage....

I dunno, I think Junebug is the exception that proves the rule. Out of all the big names mentioned in The_Pimp's post (and he left out Ron Russel, Scott Stokley and others), none of them could be considered small guys, except maybe Brinster (there's a few in there I don't know). I really think that Hammock is absolutely amazing at the game, for his stature. If he were 6' and 180 lbs (and 5-10 years younger), he'd be in the same league and Kenny & Barry.

Oh yeah, Wisecup is anothe little dude that was pretty good back in his day.

Dec 20 2004, 02:16 AM
I once played with a guy that could crush like it was nothing at all for him. He was a big guy and if you saw him and he asked you to play a casual round you'd think you would have the upper hand. This goes to show that you do not have to be in the greatest shape to play well.

I played with him alot before he stopped playing and asked him what he did to get the D that he got. He said it was all in the mechanics of your throw. He did not run up as fast as some did but when he ripped the disc across his chest he brought it from point A to point B just as fast as the othe players did. I have to say that because of him I continued to play the game because he inspired me. I am a big boy too, but I love to play this game. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif