Dec 04 2004, 03:29 PM
I think this has been briefly discussed earlier somewhere, but I was wondering what people, who play throughout the winter, do for keeping their throwing hand warm. What I'm thinking of doing is just getting the thinnest, warmest gloves I can find. Does it not matter that much how thin they are once it gets to a certain point? Is a certain matterial of glove better? Do people just keep their hand warm when not throwing and then throw barehand?

Chris Hysell
Dec 04 2004, 03:51 PM
I hate gloves and hand warmers. I'm stubborn like that. If my hand does get cold, I usually stick it in my pants because my hangy-down things are always hot.

BTW, I'm serious. Don't let anyone see you smelling your fingers.

Dec 04 2004, 06:07 PM
Everytime I have played in the snow/ cold I have used a glove on my throwing hand in between shots until my body adjusts. After a hole or 2 I throw with no glove and my hand is fine for the whole round if I slowly let it adjust. Of course you always have the glove there too in case you do get cold.

tafe
Dec 04 2004, 08:15 PM
I find the biggest fattest mitten I can for my throwing hand. Mittens are warmer and I can just flick my hand and drop it off. I have seen Barry use a tunnel-type hand warmer that you wear around your waist. Overall, I think I have decided that throwing in cold weather is just bad news. You're not doing your body or next season any favors. If I need my fix that bad I'm going to play West Park with an Ultrastar and keep my gloves on. :D

DiscGolfTool
Dec 04 2004, 09:43 PM
Try hand warmers in a vest pocket.
You can get them at KMart or Walmart in the hunting section, very cheap.
Wear a glove on your non-throwing hand and use the hand warmer for your throwing hand, works great.
And winter golf is a lot of fun. You will learn alot about your game in the winter, and it can actually teach you to throw farther next spring becuase of the poor footing and limited mobility.
Cheer,
Matt

Dec 04 2004, 11:33 PM
or you could take a vacation to dallas or houston....houston has more courses but dallas is nice to..

tafe
Dec 05 2004, 10:03 AM
It can be fun, but...
I don't need to know how to throw in snow and ice since I will never play a serious tourney in those conditions. I put a higher priority on remaining injury-free during the Winter. I've noticed people wondering why their distance is suffering now. Because it's cold! Not only do discs feel and fly different but your whole body is colder. Warmups only go so far in sub-freezing temperatures. I'd rather putt in my basement, throw drives twice a week at an indoor driving range and pump some iron! We'll see who's on fire come next Spring.

paul
Dec 05 2004, 10:50 AM
That's funny Chris.

Dec 06 2004, 12:36 AM
throw drives twice a week at an indoor driving range

<jaw drops> You're making that up. Where in the world can you find an indoor driving range to throw golf discs? If my basement were a little longer I'd consider practicing putting in it, but its not, and I don't have a basket anywho.

I think hand warmers might be a good idea, I have a pretty warm jacket pocket that I think will warm my hand inbetween throws.

Right now I'm hearing keeping gloves on while throwing is not common place though?

Dec 06 2004, 12:42 AM
or you could take a vacation to dallas or houston....houston has more courses but dallas is nice to..

: ) Actually my friend and I were considering a trip to Texas or Cali for spring break to throw some discs. Cali is pretty fricken far from MI (when driving) but my friend likes paintball too, and paintball's huge there.

Dec 06 2004, 12:55 AM
I usually use a disposable hand warmer in my throwing hand side pocket. Out here, they're about $.89 for 2, and one lasts all day. Seems to work.

tafe
Dec 06 2004, 10:25 AM
You're making that up. Where in the world can you find an indoor driving range to throw golf discs?

Ditka's Sports Dome on Rt. 53 in Bolingbrook. It's an indoor golf range that also uses the facility for soccer and stuff. At first the guy was going to charge us $200 an hour to rent it. After we went back a few times he decided to let us in on slow nights for an hour or two before closing. Now, so long as we drive the cart around and pick up all the balls, he doesn't even charge us. The dome is about 280' to the back wall, and it's the inflatable type so we can slam discs into it, no worries. It also gives our sport some added exposure.

P.S. Don't tell me I'm making stuff up when you obviously, just don't know.

Dec 06 2004, 11:59 AM
I usually use two fleece gloves, that I can slip on and off real easily. So generally the glove would stay on my non throwing hand, and i'd pull it on and off my throwing hand. Although usually after a few holes I find that I don't need the gloves anymore. But they are nice to have if you take a break or whatever and cool down again.

The handwarmer in the pocket of your throwing hand is a great idea!

slowmo_1
Dec 06 2004, 12:00 PM
there is plenty of paintball here in TX also...just look it up in the phone book. Granted the beach in Cali is nicer than the beaches here (Galveston beach in particular is pretty blah) but TX gets our share of partiers during spring break. Personally I'd say head to South Padre Island, TX and stop and play a round or two in DFW and few roundson Austin on your drive down I35.

slowmo_1
Dec 06 2004, 12:02 PM
oh, those little tunnel things you wear around your waist are great. NFL quarterbacks use them to keep their hands warm and still be able to play without a glove (watch a winter game in Green Bay) you put a few of those chemical hand warmers in them and they stay nice and toasty.

Dec 06 2004, 01:38 PM
You're making that up. Where in the world can you find an indoor driving range to throw golf discs?

P.S. Don't tell me I'm making stuff up when you obviously, just don't know.

Its a figure of speech. Kinda like "No way!" I believed you buddy, its just amazing and I'm jealous. I wish I had an indoor place to throw during cruddy weather.

mikeP
Dec 06 2004, 03:39 PM
oh, those little tunnel things you wear around your waist are great. NFL quarterbacks use them to keep their hands warm and still be able to play without a glove (watch a winter game in Green Bay) you put a few of those chemical hand warmers in them and they stay nice and toasty.

I've been trying to find out where to get these, any info?

mikeP
Dec 06 2004, 03:42 PM
What do you guys do on iced tees? I fell on my arse at league yesterday because the entire area around every tee was frozen ice. Even throwing from a standstill and simply shifting your weight is enough to throw you off balance enough to fall...

Dec 06 2004, 04:03 PM
(Galveston beach in particular is pretty blah)

i slept on the beach on galveston once.... can you say "no see'ems". oh god, the misery.

Dec 06 2004, 04:39 PM

I've been trying to find out where to get these, any info?

Ya if someone does have some info, make sure to post ballpark price figure.

veganray
Dec 06 2004, 04:39 PM
Hand gets warm from all that moving around trying to find any hangy-down things. :D:D

kvo
Dec 06 2004, 09:10 PM
Link To Football Handwarmers (http://www.hitrunscore.com/bwarmer-handwarmer-color-chart.html)

Just the first site I looked at, Googled "football Handwarmer"
Not a bad idea and not all that bad in price

ASulli
Dec 06 2004, 09:25 PM
I looked and finally found some in the hunting section at Dick's. Only $15, they are camo but sure keep the hands warm, also a velcro pouch inside to put hot-hands.

ANHYZER
Dec 07 2004, 02:17 AM
I usually wait 'til 8 am when it warms up a bit

vwkeepontruckin
Dec 07 2004, 10:53 AM
Link To Football Handwarmers (http://www.hitrunscore.com/bwarmer-handwarmer-color-chart.html)

Just the first site I looked at, Googled "football Handwarmer"
Not a bad idea and not all that bad in price

Good to know.

twoputtok
Dec 08 2004, 04:38 PM
I know these are not high tech football hand wammers but they have always worked for me. :D

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-mens-winter-gloves--fi-1201076_cp-1163731.html