z Vaughn z
Dec 02 2004, 02:14 AM
So this is the first year I've attempted to be good at disc golf, and have had a reasonable amount of success. I've probably gone from an 850 golfer to around a 920 golfer (my rating reflects the former :(). On average my drive is 380' and I'm probably the best putter of the guys I play with. I have aspirations to become a 1000 rated golfer, but don't know exactly how to get there? How long will it take to reach this goal? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

chris
Dec 02 2004, 03:54 AM
I recommend shooting rounds that average 1000 or more (in tournament play) to get there

esalazar
Dec 02 2004, 08:12 AM
practise!!! play with better players!!! practice!!!!! consistency!!!!!

Dec 02 2004, 09:07 AM
Be the disc......
Be the wind......
Be the target......
......forget about the Noonans!

Make the group your playing with laugh, not pout!

Jake L
Dec 02 2004, 09:45 AM
Stop using this message board! I'm just picking, but how many 1000+ rated players are on here.

Hit the course, practice. putting is the key.

Dec 02 2004, 10:56 AM
talk to cb dickpump

Dec 02 2004, 11:04 AM
oh i guess he did when he posted

cbdiscpimp
Dec 02 2004, 11:16 AM
talk to cb dickpump

I dont know who you think you are but its pretty easy to hide behing a computer and not put any personal info up (like your name or where you live) and talk S***. So when you decide to be a MAN and not a BI*** and put up your info then come talk S*** but untill then keep your mouth SHUT or ill have to shut it for you :eek: :mad:

Dec 02 2004, 11:33 AM
"not put any personal info up
(like your name or where you live)"

check my profile everything is there except my last name which is turner

i was just being sarcastic and u took the bait :eek: :D;)

cbdiscpimp
Dec 02 2004, 11:37 AM
all that is there is merrit speedway.com

Thats all i see.

Your about to feel the rath of the DiscPIMP :eek: :p

esalazar
Dec 02 2004, 11:38 AM
haha!! :eek: :eek:

ck34
Dec 02 2004, 11:47 AM
The potential to reach a 1000 might be systemic.
To actually reach 1000 is certainly systematic.
But the suspicion is, it�s likely also genetic.

dixonjowers
Dec 02 2004, 11:48 AM
Practice, practice, practice!!!! That is how u become better.

My two favorite practice activities are putting and mid range. Get 30 feet from your basket and putt til you make 100. Do this a couple of times a week. You say you are the best putter of all the guys you play with. No offense, but maybe all of those guys suck at putting.

Secondly, go to a local soccer field that has the lines painted. Stand on the base line by the goal and throw you mid range to the middle circle. It is 60ft across. If you land inside of it you have less than a 30ft putt, which you are becoming great at because you are banging a couple hundred a week.

Pick your local top dog and try to start playing with him. If nothing else, play right behind him and watch what he does.

Distance isn't as important as you might think. Work more on accuracy of your drives. There aren't a ton of holes where two accurate 300 footers will leave you in a bad place. If you walk up to a monster then take your 4 or 5 and move on.

And lastly the most important thing is practice. Take away one round each week and just go practice during that time. Pick a shot; side arm, roller, thumber, whatever, and throw 50-75 of them to start to feel the groove.
Practice will improve your game faster than playing any course over and over

Lastly practice. Alot

seewhere
Dec 02 2004, 11:54 AM
RRGB This is in your profile

Name
Title Lurker
Total Posts 9
Rating
Homepage http://www.merritt-speedway.com/
Occupation Contractor, Arrow Homes
Hobbies Disc golf, music, dirt track racing
Location Merritt, MI
Bio
ICQ Number
PDGA Number
Registered on 11/29/04 07:26 PM

chris
Dec 02 2004, 12:23 PM
I have aspirations to become a 1000 rated golfer, but don't know exactly how to get there? How long will it take to reach this goal? .

For me, it took a little over a year; for you I think it will take 2 years, 3 months, and 18 days to get there.

Dec 02 2004, 12:23 PM
u are right and i believe
"my name or where i live" is there

seewhere
Dec 02 2004, 12:25 PM
name is not or at least not visible

Dec 02 2004, 12:27 PM
but i told him my last name

its there now
sorry about that

seewhere
Dec 02 2004, 12:28 PM
now you got it .. later

nix
Dec 02 2004, 12:41 PM
that was still f'n funny!

MTL21676
Dec 02 2004, 12:41 PM
I'm just picking, but how many 1000+ rated players are on here.

Schweb
McCoy
Walt
Larry
JJ

Thats all I can think of.....

eddie_ogburn
Dec 02 2004, 12:47 PM
I'm just picking, but how many 1000+ rated players are on here.

Schweb
McCoy
Walt
Larry
JJ

Thats all I can think of.....

Heres some more:

Stan
Heeren
Gangloff
Pat Pitts
McRee
GTW

20460chase
Dec 02 2004, 12:49 PM
Hey Ray Ray, that was funny. Just make sure your within 30ft and that way Pimp couldnt hit you with a disc.Make sure your not 600ft away though, cause he might hit you.Ha Ha, is that how far your throwin now Pimp?

chris
Dec 02 2004, 12:51 PM
I thought he was up to 625'??? or so I was told

cbdiscpimp
Dec 02 2004, 12:54 PM
Pete Middlecamp and Timmy Gill

Jake L
Dec 02 2004, 12:56 PM
alright guys, I'm a punk and I know it. But thanks for pointing it out! :D

MTL21676
Dec 02 2004, 01:47 PM
pete middlecamps on here????

whats his log in name???

cbdiscpimp
Dec 02 2004, 02:02 PM
Hey Ray Ray, that was funny. Just make sure your within 30ft and that way Pimp couldnt hit you with a disc <font color="red"> Ive got a suprise for you guys once 05 hits and it involves being ABLE to PUTT :eek: </font> .Make sure your not 600ft away though, cause he might hit you.Ha Ha, is that how far your throwin now Pimp? <font color="red"> Distance over 500 but on the course i never reallly try to throw over 450 cuz thats about the spot where i start to lose accuracy :D</font>

20460chase
Dec 02 2004, 02:26 PM
So youve said Pimp.

chris
Dec 02 2004, 04:09 PM
Distance over 500 but on the course i never reallly try to throw over 450 cuz thats about the spot where i start to lose accuracy

So you're saying you can throw accurately under 400'? You should try that during a tournament some time!

cbdiscpimp
Dec 02 2004, 04:11 PM
So you're saying you can throw accurately under 400'? You should try that during a tournament some time!

Man that was a STROKE of genious from one of the 1000+ rated pros on the board :D

Thanks Chris ill keep that in mind for 05.

Luke Butch
Dec 02 2004, 04:39 PM
#1 Practice putting
#2 Practice putting
#3 Learn from other players
#4 Throw 400' accurately
#5 Practice putting
#6 Don't listen to 870 rated players on this board telling you what to do and what not to do
#7 Don't become an angry clown(will help others like you as a player)

j_d
Dec 04 2004, 01:33 PM
So this is the first year I've attempted to be good at disc golf, and have had a reasonable amount of success. I've probably gone from an 850 golfer to around a 920 golfer (my rating reflects the former :(). On average my drive is 380' and I'm probably the best putter of the guys I play with. I have aspirations to become a 1000 rated golfer, but don't know exactly how to get there? How long will it take to reach this goal? Any comments are greatly appreciated.

"Occupation Unemployed"

looks like you have the most important piece in place ...

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2004, 01:51 PM
So this is the first year I've attempted to be good at disc golf, and have had a reasonable amount of success. I've probably gone from an 850 golfer to around a 920 golfer (my rating reflects the former ).

I have gone from a 866 rated player to about a 940 rated player this year and my rating says 929 because of some HORRID round early in the year and some stupid rounds where i was drunk as hell the nite before :mad: Those are not going to happen this year :D

All i have to say is if i didnt have a job i could have improved WAY more. Throw in a field for a few hours a day practice putting a few hours a day and play a few rounds a day. If you do this 4-5 days a week then your will improve by leaps and bounds. I was working 50 hours weeks this season and i still improved my rating 63 points. I know if i had more practice time i could have improved it even more.

Dont just practice the normal shots like Hyzers Anyhyzers Flip and straight shots. Practice Flick rollers and sky rollers and grenades and thumbers and tommys and 40 ft flick rollers that cut hard both ways. Practice ANY shots you can think of not just the basic one. I like to take my disc into the schule on my home course and try to find ways to get out with my entire bag. Not that your going to be in the schule alot but its good to be able to wak in there and have multiple trick shots to get out in your arsenal.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Distance isnt that big a deal(if you can throw 350 your fine) Learn how to make 90 percent of your putts inside 33 feet and 50 % out to about 50 ft. If you can do that youll boost your rating faster then anything
PUTTING PUTTTING PUTTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it the wrong way. I worried about distance first and now im trying to learn how to putt :mad:

dannyreeves
Dec 04 2004, 02:39 PM
Do what Dixon said. That was the best advice I saw on here so far.

z Vaughn z
Dec 04 2004, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE]
I have gone from a 866 rated player to about a 940 rated player this year and my rating says 929 because of some HORRID round early in the year and some stupid rounds where i was drunk as hell the nite before Those are not going to happen this year

I played a hungover tournament in Kalamazoo, it definately sucks! Mills, my name is Zach Vaughn. I'll be challenging you at the top of a lot of Michigan tourneys. Just thought I'd give you fair notice. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Do you know if Romine is going pro?

cbdiscpimp
Dec 04 2004, 03:15 PM
I played a hungover tournament in Kalamazoo, it definately sucks! Mills, my name is Zach Vaughn. I'll be challenging you at the top of a lot of Michigan tourneys. Just thought I'd give you fair notice. Do you know if Romine is going pro?

Bring it on kid. I always like GOOD competition so if you can give it to me it will only make me play better :D
Romine, Vagi, Slater, DJ Hunt all went pro. What series to you plan on playing this year. Flying Saucer, Northern Waters, Can Am, or the new J bird Summer Slam Series???

I think im going to play Flying Saucer J-Bird Can Am and some Northern Waters along with about 7 A Tier and Am Nationals. Looking to do well in J-Bird Can-Am and Flying Saucer. Northern Waters just has cool courses and i have a place up north so those are party tournaments :D

Just prepare to be slapped around a little this season :eek: Courtesy of Me J Mosier and maybe a few others if they decide to kick it into gear and get serious. Im shooting for most Amature points in the Nation for 05 :D

chris
Dec 04 2004, 11:53 PM
I think the best advice I can give anyone on the discussion board on how to become a 1000 rated player is to NOT read any of disc pimp's threads!! Infact, if you do read one by accident, just do the oppiset of whatever he said! :D

widiscgolf
Dec 05 2004, 12:01 AM
Well some people work for a living and don't have the time to hit the big tourneys. I tell you what Steve. If I can make it to a few A tiers near you guys in Michigan can you help me out with a place to stay? I don't have tons of cash to throw around like you do. If I could get a place to crash then that would help out on expenses. Plus I would give you a run for your money or I should say points. hehe

Josh

z Vaughn z
Dec 05 2004, 01:10 AM
I'll be doing a lot of the Northern Waters events, I may be living in Grand Rapids pretty soon, but I have places to stay up here regardless. I plan on playing a few A-tiers. I'd like to get down and play the Bowling Green tourney, and the DGLO. So you and Mosier can give me a run for my money anyday. With all those ams going pro, there is room for some new faces to rule Michigan. Looking at my stats will do no good, cause next summer, I'll be playing a good 40 points above my rating if not more. Just wanted to let you know to watch out for my game.
By the way, I guess the Cherry Festival tournament this year is going to be at two courses, Hickory Hills and Myles Kimmerly. Just so you know.

z Vaughn z
Dec 05 2004, 01:26 AM
Bio - Goal for 2005:

* To become one of Michigan's best Amatuer disc golfers *

and to kick Steve Mill's arse in every tournament I play in.

cbdiscpimp
Dec 05 2004, 07:12 PM
I'll be doing a lot of the Northern Waters events, I may be living in Grand Rapids pretty soon, but I have places to stay up here regardless. I plan on playing a few A-tiers. I'd like to get down and play the Bowling Green tourney, and the DGLO. So you and Mosier can give me a run for my money anyday. With all those ams going pro, there is room for some new faces to rule Michigan. Looking at my stats will do no good, cause next summer, I'll be playing a good 40 points above my rating if not more. Just wanted to let you know to watch out for my game.
By the way, I guess the Cherry Festival tournament this year is going to be at two courses, Hickory Hills and Myles Kimmerly. Just so you know.

Did you even come close to beating me in ANY of the tournaments that you played that i was at??? I dont even know who you are. Well just see if you really have the game you think you have next year. Untill then ill just keep looking at your stats and that Is telling me i have NOTHING to worrry about :o

z Vaughn z
Dec 06 2004, 02:16 AM
Oh I'll bring the game next summer. You playing in the Cracked Plastic in February Steve?

chris
Dec 06 2004, 02:39 AM
I'll be playing Cracked Plastic :)

cbdiscpimp
Dec 06 2004, 10:51 AM
I will not be playing cracked plastic. I hate playing tournament rounds in the cold weather plus i am going to Brooksville for Cross Canyon in January then im going to Vegas and Scottsdale for the Gentlmens Club Classic and the Memorial at the end of Feb and begining or March. I have decided i will only play casual rounds in the freezing cold and snow from now on. Its just not worth it to me. Unless some how it is above freezing and no snow that weekend i wont be playing.

Dec 06 2004, 10:27 PM
Anyone know the phone number for the wambulance?

ANHYZER
Dec 07 2004, 02:16 AM
Anyone know the phone number for the wambulance?

I think its 416-203-9628 /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dec 07 2004, 09:13 AM
I believe it should be...
Looks like someone needs to call the whaaambulence. Maybe the'll stop by the 7-11 and pick you up a chocolatey Boo-Hoo.

He he the devil made me do it.

z Vaughn z
Dec 09 2004, 03:18 AM
At least Chris will be playing the cracked plastic here in good ole' Kzoo MI. I'll show you some game, so watch for my name!

cbdiscpimp
Dec 09 2004, 10:40 AM
At least Chris will be playing the cracked plastic here in good ole' Kzoo MI. I'll show you some game, so watch for my name!

Oh ill make sure to check last card and see if you are on that. Plus who cares if you can play well at your home courses. Everyone plays good at home. Its what you do on the road that counts.

Are you saying your going to play 40 points above your rating?? So youll be playing a couple 919 rounds. Man thats AMAZING :eek: Watch out for Zach Vaughn guys hes going to be one of the best Advanced AMs in MI :o

chris
Dec 09 2004, 12:40 PM
haha, you guys are so funny!! I just love how a 929 player talks so much [*****] to an 878 rated player! "919 rounds ohhhh, better watch out, he'll be within 1 stroke of your 929 average! Better make sure you don't miss an extra putt or you'll tie"

cbdiscpimp
Dec 09 2004, 01:21 PM
haha, you guys are so funny!! I just love how a 929 player talks so much [*****] to an 878 rated player! "919 rounds ohhhh, better watch out, he'll be within 1 stroke of your 929 average! Better make sure you don't miss an extra putt or you'll tie"

Thats if he plays 40 point above his rating like he CLAIMS he can and i decide to play 20 points below what im playing at right now. :D

colin-evans
Dec 09 2004, 01:26 PM
You pro guys watch out b'cause it is my goal to be one of the best pros around. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chris
Dec 09 2004, 04:32 PM
Well at least you only claim you are 20 points higher and not 40 lol I guess that means you're allowed to talk sh1t Well, I'll add those numbers together and claim that I am playing at 60 points BELOW my rating! hehe I'll still shoot 2 strokes better than what you claim your playing at :D

nix
Dec 09 2004, 04:35 PM
ouch- two strokes better then what you CLAIM you can play!

cbdiscpimp
Dec 09 2004, 04:42 PM
Well at least you only claim you are 20 points higher and not 40 lol I guess that means you're allowed to talk sh1t Well, I'll add those numbers together and claim that I am playing at 60 points BELOW my rating! hehe I'll still shoot 2 strokes better than what you claim your playing at

How long have you been playing again???

chris
Dec 09 2004, 04:54 PM
since 2000, and I played advanced for 3 months before I went pro. Whats this going to be, your 3rd year as am? :D

cbdiscpimp
Dec 09 2004, 05:46 PM
Second real year as an AM. This is the only year i have practiced and actually cared about doing well. If you want to count going to tournaments because all my friends did (not because i wanted to win) then i guess i have been playing 1.5 years.

I have 1 year of trying to be a true competitor under my belt. Thinking ill go pro in 2006 if thing go well this year :D

the_kid
Dec 09 2004, 06:35 PM
Chris unlike you some of us weren't in our prime if we started I've been am for almost 5 years (wait that's because I started at 11). Although most top pros had natural talent and became good in no time, and I'll bet no more than five 1000+ pros played AM for 3 or more years? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chris
Dec 09 2004, 07:50 PM
hey kid, I was talking to pimp! he asked

the_kid
Dec 09 2004, 09:50 PM
Yeah I know and I was talking to a guy named Chris. :D:D
All I'm saying is the top Pros just have a natural talent like yourself and basically skip AM.

esalazar
Dec 10 2004, 01:02 AM
just do it!!!!!! who gives a **** what anyone else says or does!!!!

bschweberger
Dec 10 2004, 01:03 AM
I played Adv for six months b4 I went pro. :eek: :p ;) :)

esalazar
Dec 10 2004, 01:04 AM
now look at you!!! bagger!!! j/k

vwkeepontruckin
Dec 10 2004, 01:29 AM
Chris unlike you some of us weren't in our prime if we started I've been am for almost 5 years (wait that's because I started at 11). Although most top pros had natural talent and became good in no time, and I'll bet no more than five 1000+ pros played AM for 3 or more years? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

the_kid is the next big thing! Look for him in the future...he has some SERIOUS game.

z Vaughn z
Dec 10 2004, 04:18 AM
[QUOTE]
Watch out for Zach Vaughn guys hes going to be one of the best Advanced AMs in MI :o

Mills, I like what you wrote above! You must know the future. I will be at the top, you'll see. :D

cbdiscpimp
Dec 10 2004, 11:18 AM
Your kidding me right???

timmyg
Dec 10 2004, 01:05 PM
Interesting point kid. It would be interesting to figure out just how many top pros would be considered "naturally" good rather than learning in the am divisions and building their game for years.
I won my first PDGA tourney, I think it was called Am Worlds or something. :eek:

esalazar
Dec 10 2004, 01:07 PM
your first pdga tourney was AM worlds? and you won!!

THAT IS JUST SICK!!!!!

james_mccaine
Dec 10 2004, 01:10 PM
A question for those that know Barry Schultz. He has a pretty low PDGA# and I don't remember him being that ******* back in the early nineties (he may have though). Did he play am for awhile before he started kicking butt?

the_kid
Dec 10 2004, 01:10 PM
I won my 1st weenie little kids State Championships as well. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

james_mccaine
Dec 10 2004, 01:12 PM
Nice avatar Matt. Be sure to include it in your application to Rice. :D

my_hero
Dec 10 2004, 01:44 PM
Who would want to become a 1000+ rated player? Then you're EXPECTED to perform well. :p This game is too much fun for that kind of pressure. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

z Vaughn z
Dec 10 2004, 02:20 PM
But how sweet would it be to go out and play 1000 rated rounds all the time.

chris
Dec 10 2004, 02:51 PM
I don't think Barry ever played am, I think he said something about going right up to pro in the earlie 90's and just skipped that division.

the_kid
Dec 10 2004, 02:55 PM
Only like 4 more years before I'll even think of moving up. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
To Quote Smitty "AMATUER FOR LIFE" :D

esalazar
Dec 10 2004, 03:00 PM
**** you will hear some serious smack!!! :D

the_kid
Dec 10 2004, 03:03 PM
Post *****! :D:D

esalazar
Dec 10 2004, 03:05 PM
that was an accident!!!

the_kid
Dec 10 2004, 03:12 PM
I'm just playing with you /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dec 10 2004, 04:40 PM
I've given this a lot of thought (10 minutes)
Here's my advice for a newbie becoming a 1000-rated player ASAP.
My PDGA card says I'm a 997, so I'm not just a 1000-wannabe
But I've reach the 1000 plateau totally the wrong way.
Learn from my mistakes.

Step 1. COMMIT. Being a 1000-rated player means that
DG is your most important goal in your life.
Having a buddy with the same commitment greatly helps you to stay on track
As much as possible, eliminate distracting activities that detract from DG
Examples: PLAYING DG, jobs, women, friends, entertainment, etc.

Step 2. START SAVING MONEY to play tourneys.
Maybe put 10% of your paycheck into a 'tourney account.'

Step 3. BECOME A 1000-RATED PUTTER.
Read up on putting techniques on the web/magazines.
Talk to the best putters in your area.
See if you can copy their styles.
Commit to a basic style and perhaps one other.
AT LEAST 3 hours per day, 5 days a week of putting.
Practice putting until you can make 90% of your 35-foot putts.
Straddle and non-straddle styles. Tailwind and headwind. Uphill and downhill.
Maybe do 20% of your putts shorter or longer than 35 feet, but concentrate on 35 feet.

Start getting your body in shape, both in explosive strength and flexibility.
Continue working on your body throughout your DG career.
Learn about throwing techniques DG websites and mags.
OK to do a LITTLE throwing experimentally on a football field or equivalent.

Step 4. BECOME A 1000-RATED DISTANCE THROWER.
Still spend 5 hours a week putting to keep up to snuff
Find a long-time pro (preferably 2 or 3) to critique your technique.
Maybe send a DVD/tape to someone if they're not nearby.
Try to emulate throws of top local pros.
Look at others� technique on the web.
Have a theory clear in your head about what you think makes a disc go far.
THEN start throwing in earnest on the football field.
Suggest throwing 10 identical midrange discs
Maybe add 1 valkyrie or equivalent for fun and learning
You want an relatively effortless efficient throwing motion
A motion you can repeat 100-300 times a session
5X/week without getting hurt/tired.
If you're getting hurt/tired, you're throwing too hard or too wrong.
If so, you must back off to a point where you're not hurt/tired
You want a low, penetrating accurate golf shot.
Not a high-flying airy distance-milking type throw
Constantly adjust your technique to see how it affects your throw
Throw in a <=150g disc occasionally for learning purposes
Keep refining your technique until it's good enough.
Good enough means midrange 330-350 feet with 90% within
10 meter circle.
That means Hyzer AND flat AND anhyzer BTW

Step 5 - BE A 1000-RATED GOLFER
NOW you can practice on actual DG courses.
PRACTICE means PRACTICE, not PLAYING A-ROUND
Suggest practicing in the morning when there's less golfers
Practice means doing a doable shot over and over and over
Until you figure it out and get it right
Make a list of what shots to practice.
Get ideas from pros.
Be acquainted with most DG trick shots
But spend most of your time throwing accurate shots from A to B
Spend about 1/4? of your time practicing putts on the course.
Uphill, downhill, obstacles, different flight paths.
Every once in a while play an actual round of golf.
Maybe 10 hours of practice for every round of golf.
Play as many local courses as you can, not just the same home course
Play with a pro if you can, have him point out weaknesses.
Start learning about course management.
MINIMUM 15 hours per week. 30 is better.
When you are as good as most local pros, you are ready to compete.

Step 6 - BE A 1000-RATED COMPETITOR
God I hope you've got a lot of money saved up by now.
Get a van and go on tour.
Your wife and boss will understand :)
Play as many straight weeks of tourney golf as you can afford.
Absolute minimum of 6 straight tourneys; preferably 2 seasons worth.
Make friends with touring pros
Learn from the web/mags/touring pros about playing well in tourneys.
Still need to practice, fool !

Step 7 - BACK TO SQUARE ONE
At this point, you could very well be 1000 already
If you are good enough to cash well on tour, you might want to stay on tour for a few more months or a year.
More likely you're staggering on home, broke, but in the high 900s
Get back to work making money and making up to your woman.
Make a plan of what you think you need to do to get there.
Probably it will simply be some fine-tuning.

=======================

SUMMARY
------------------
COMMIT - 3 rounds a week with your friends ain't gonna cut it
START SAVING MONEY
BE A 1000-RATED PUTTER - and start getting in shape
BE A 1000-RATED DISTANCE THROWER - No D, no $
BE A 1000-RATED GOLFER - practice, not play
BE A 1000-RATED COMPETITOR - get on tour

At least that's how I'D do it if I had to do it all over again.
It's an awful lot of work, and not much fun.
Kinda like eating vegetables and hardly anything else.
A motivated, athletic prime-time male can go to 1000 in a year

But if that's too much for you to handle
I've invented this great pill that is GUARANTEED to improve your game.
Only $39.99 a bottle
Hell yeah it's worth it! :)

P.S. Somebody better start following my advice, or else I've just ****** away 2 hours for nothing!

chris
Dec 10 2004, 05:33 PM
If you honestly want to get your rating higher, the best way to do it would be to only play in big tournaments where the pros and the advanced field play on seperate courses. This way all the ratings come from the top pros and not the amatures. It's proven that amatures will bring the rating down as much as 10-20 points per round (since most of them are playing above their rating) So stop playing little C tiers where the women, ams, and masters all effect the ratings . . . . but I don't recommend doing it since B and C tiers are fun to play!! :)

chris
Dec 10 2004, 09:50 PM
If you have already tried the "1000 rated player in a bottle" for $39.99 and didn't get the results you had hoped, I have a sure thing. I have decided to sell my player rating on ebay to the highest bidder (and start over from scratch next year). This way, anyone can become a 1000+ rated player for the right price :) I'll start the bidding at $1.99! (less than .2 cents per point) Do I have any takers???

Dec 10 2004, 10:35 PM
I'll take it. Then I could be the first 1000 rated women! ...for 3 months at least :)

Dec 10 2004, 11:21 PM
http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/barry.html

According to his bio, Barry had been playing for about 12-13 years before becoming pro. This does not discount the fact that he likely did not enter a tournament untill 1992. You can still be come really good playing just recreational, but you need a competitive nature to jump into heavy competition, does Barry ever talk about other sports he played? I would bet that he was decent at some other sport throughout high school. Or college?

chris
Dec 11 2004, 12:36 AM
He is good at video games since that is all he does. He probably plays those twice as much as he disc golfs!

sandalman
Dec 12 2004, 11:01 PM
P.S. Somebody better start following my advice, or else I've just ****** away 2 hours for nothing!

dude, that was probably the most helpful post ever on this board. thanks!

Dec 13 2004, 09:12 PM
He is good at video games since that is all he does. He probably plays those twice as much as he disc golfs!

let me guess, tiger woods 2005? that game is sweet!

ANHYZER
Dec 16 2004, 12:08 AM
That's awesome I've done everything except get a van :D

romine
Dec 16 2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Zach, I don't know if I've met you or not but, yes, I'm going to try to play pro this year. The biggest thing I can say to help out someone who is really serious about improving their game is to not let the mental aspect of disc golf be your weakness. Steve Mills played most of this past year like a fool. He got ****** and had excuses for every bad shot and bad bounce. At worlds he had himself a caddy who kept him focused and calm. He has never played better than at worlds. After the mental aspect it's becomes putting. Hundreds a day. Stradles, from a knee, turbos, forehands, lobs, bullets, headwind, tailwind, crosswinds. Putting is everything. Get your head right and be a thousand rated putter and you will be sucessful. Good luck next year.
-Josh

eddie_ogburn
Dec 16 2004, 06:36 PM

Thanks for your post Kurt. Well written.

danknug
Dec 18 2004, 10:20 AM
realy you must be one of those d.a.r.y.l.e kids (a.i) or something. thats realy good!

mikeP
Dec 18 2004, 11:50 AM
Instructions on how to become a super-frustrated disc golfer:

Skip first to being a 1000-rated distance thrower, and then get spanked by guys in tournaments who don't throw half as far, but can putt and lay up. The irony is that these other players still THINK you are better than them, even though they beat you. Drive for respect, putt to win.

chris
Dec 18 2004, 02:47 PM
Instructions on how to become a super-frustrated disc golfer:

Skip first to being a 1000-rated distance thrower, and then get spanked by guys in tournaments who don't throw half as far, but can putt and lay up. The irony is that these other players still THINK you are better than them, even though they beat you. Drive for respect, putt to win.

These people do not think you are better than then. I think that you think that they think that you are better than them. Think about it.

mikeP
Dec 18 2004, 04:55 PM
So that's what you think I think and not what you think they think? :D Anyway, I think what I was getting at is that a lot of people seem to treat distance as though it were some kind of physical gift bestown upon a select few, and treat putting like a hard earned experiential skill, when really they are both very comprable in this respect. (Note: my previous statement was only slightly based on myself, who is by the way not a 1000-rated distance thrower, it is just proportionally better than the rest of my game)

rob
Dec 19 2004, 02:18 AM
You should putt with a Shark :D

stevemaerz
Dec 19 2004, 09:51 PM
I used to think all those guys I'd play with who out drove me by 70 feet (I am a 370' weenie arm) were better than me and I was just fortunate to beat them. However a lot of those "big guns" win a lot less cash than I do and many even have lower player ratings so I've concuded that course management skills are probably more important than driving distance.( although I do intend to increase my D by at least 50ft this year)

danknug
Dec 21 2004, 04:51 PM
All I do is putt in my back yard now. That is going to hopefully help my game as I need practice so I can compete effectively. peak performance training for the mind and body and maybe spirit if im lucky

danknug
Dec 21 2004, 04:57 PM
I shot 18 down at hiestand on sun afternoon. it was all tap ins. wish I could do that every day 1080 :D

cbdiscpimp
Dec 21 2004, 05:03 PM
I putt in my basement now because in MI it has been hovering around 5 degrees for a while and never gets warm enough to putt. Im around 60-80% from 30 ft. Its ALL about the putting and short game :D

I have been putting around 500 or more putts a week and sometimes up to 1000. It really helps with the muscle memory. I remember pretty much all year i would stand over a 25 footer and be like man i hope i can make this. Now i stand over a 25 footer and expect to make its 7 or more times out of 10. Putting is all i am practicing this winter. Then when summer hits im going to play 1 or 2 rounds a day and throw in a field for 1-3 hours every day. Im going to stick with the same set of discs all year. Im not going to add any new molds to my bag. Im starting my 05 schedule hopefully in Jan at the Cross Canyon Challenge but if not im kicking off the season in Vegas and the Gentlemens Club Challenge and i hope to be above 960 by the end of the year. :D

danknug
Dec 21 2004, 05:11 PM
Thats smart. I have also been practicing staying calm under pressure, to keep my muscle memory the same..twitch twitch

cbdiscpimp
Dec 21 2004, 05:29 PM
Thats smart. I have also been practicing staying calm under pressure, to keep my muscle memory the same..twitch twitch

How have you been going about practicing that??? Cuz i REALLY need to practice that but i hear it just come with expierience.

danknug
Dec 21 2004, 06:07 PM
IM reading a sports pshycology book its really helpful

cbdiscpimp
Dec 21 2004, 06:37 PM
I read a Bob Rotella book that is called Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect and i am getting some more of his books. They are all based on ball golf but the concept is EXACTLY the same and the first book helped me so im hoping that these will help me as well.

z Vaughn z
Dec 21 2004, 07:08 PM
I'm a ball golfer turned disc golfer. I am using some of the same techniques, especially with the mental aspect of the game. They will provide an excellent basis for my game. This is why I'm telling you steve that I'm going to be playing really well next year. I just have a few issues with my form to work out, and then I'm going to be practicing my balls off. You've got another competitor in Michigan! :cool:

cbdiscpimp
Dec 21 2004, 08:37 PM
Ill believe it when i see it :eek:

cbdiscpimp
Dec 21 2004, 08:38 PM
By they way im a 7 handicap ball golfer as well as a 934 disc golfers. Well thats what my rating is going to say anyway. :D

adogg187420
Dec 21 2004, 09:05 PM
I am a scratch golfer and a current 932 rated player, and 21 yrs old :cool:

chris
Dec 21 2004, 10:28 PM
I've played golf once and disc golf twice

danknug
Dec 22 2004, 12:02 AM
you have to hide your true identity or people will be on your [*****]. I made this name up

dischick
Dec 22 2004, 01:32 AM
i think to become a 1000+ rated pro you gotta have an amazing head game, not just on the course but all around in life. its far and few for the ones who have a 1000+ rating and are total head cases.
then the next most important part is to beable to make all your short putts. when you are nailin those shots, its more likely that your head game will stay in check. when oyu start missin you get mad. key to that is focus.
i got this book called ZEN GOLF. even though it aimed towards ball golfers, its oibviously the same exact concept. its about ways to stay focus, determined, relaxed, and to let the bad shots go and keep the good shots comin. the times when i can pull myself away from the beerdrinkin and other things between rounds, and read a chapter or two, are the times when i can actually put my 2nd round together. i played a tournament on one of my home courses and played like azzzzzz. between rounds read some chapters of ZEN and came back by alot. it was pretty sweeeet. if you have a bad head game i highly reccomend reading it.

cromwell
Dec 23 2004, 04:26 PM
I read a Bob Rotella book that is called Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect and i am getting some more of his books. They are all based on ball golf but the concept is EXACTLY the same and the first book helped me so im hoping that these will help me as well.

wow, someone else who has read GINAGOP. That's a *great* book, and I agree while it's written for ball golf the entire book can be translated to disc golf perfectly. Really, any piece written about the MENTAL game of golf can be applied to both sports, and they are well worth the read for anyone who hasnt read them before. Because really, while practicing putts and drives and trick shots can help your game, mastering your thoughts during tournament rounds will instantly bring your game up a notch. I didnt play much in 2003, but had moved up to AM1 and was coming in pretty close to (if not actually) DFL at every tournament i attended. read one or two books on the mental aspects of the game, practiced my physical and mental game come spring and am happy to say I finished "in the money" at every tournament I went to during the 2004 season. Yes, part of that was thanks to the physical practice, but learning to control my head helped pave the way for me and I was suddenly shooting ~930 golf instead of ~850 the year before.

chris
Dec 23 2004, 05:38 PM
Yeah, the biggest thing in shooting 1000+ golf is mental, I know a lot of players who have the distance and the skills, they just can't put them together and keep it up for a whole tournament without blowing up or just giving up all together. If you can get your mental game down, you're rating will go way up.

z Vaughn z
Dec 23 2004, 05:46 PM
I prefer to rub a mixter of Honey and bacon bits all over my body while chanting "I will ace this shot, I will ace this shot!". This has helped me ten fold, as I have 6 aces this past summer. I recommend it to anyone who has a mental problem with the game.
Make sure to use warm honey, and real bacon.

Anyone else try this yet?

Luke Butch
Dec 23 2004, 06:20 PM
I've found that throwing a lot of shots on really short holes will help you ace a lot. Not that I've ever done it, i've just heard about it.

Being a 1000 rated golfer seems to be about consistency too. Look at a lot of the touring pros. They finish in the money week in and week out, almost never missing the cash. That means that even when they play bad they aren't playing really bad. A long slump might mean they are playing 10pts lower than where they were before the slump.

They also tend to be pretty good putters.

stevemaerz
Dec 23 2004, 06:36 PM
Orc, I haven't tried the honey and bacon marinade. I usually use an olive oil and garlic mixture for wooded courses and orange juice/oregano mixture for open courses.

chris
Dec 23 2004, 06:38 PM
Orc, I haven't tried the honey and bacon marinade. I usually use an olive oil and garlic mixture for wooded courses and orange juice/oregano mixture for open courses.

I just tried the honey and bacon marinade, I rubbed it all over and bet this guy $10 I would ace the hole . . . I ended up taking a double bogey, thanks for nothing :mad:

stevemaerz
Dec 23 2004, 06:45 PM
Chris, you blamin me for your missed ace??? Orc was the one who said bacon/honey. Try olive oil/garlic or oj/oregano, unless you're left handed...........

chris
Dec 23 2004, 07:09 PM
I'll have to try that one tomorrow

danknug
Dec 24 2004, 03:51 PM
i want to be like a robot. johny 5 is alive smile!

z Vaughn z
Dec 24 2004, 10:44 PM
Olive oil and garlic, I'll have to give that one a try too.

z Vaughn z
Dec 30 2004, 04:53 AM
So what do you guys think about his snowy weather, it blows. My first disc golf winter. I need to play this weekend.

Dec 30 2004, 04:53 PM
You midwest guys are SOOO lucky to be snowed in.
Then there's no temptation to go out and play in the cold/snow.
Time which is better spent INSIDE practicing putting.
Yesterday, the Seattle area was so miserable that I couldn't get out at all.
So I put on the CD and putted 30-35 feet indoors for 6-7 hours with 40 rattlers.
2500 putts, normal straddle sidearm throwputt oppositehand upsidedown anhyzer hyzer low high fast slow you name it.
Yeah my back's a little sore today
I can't understand why snowed-in golfers aren't the best putters in the world.

All you need is:
(1) a bunch of putters
(2) 30 feet
(3) something to stop a putt (rug, box, mattress, etc.)
(4) CDs, ESPN, etc

Luke Butch
Dec 31 2004, 02:40 AM
I've thrown thousands of putts indoors and I'm not a good putter at all. Putting indoors and putting outside are two very different things.

BTW- Are you the best putter in the world? You practice putting indoors all the time why wouldn't you be?

widiscgolf
Dec 31 2004, 03:07 AM
Well first off were from Wisconsin so at times we see snow allot. Second Barry Schultz is the top player of the world and plays where it snows in. The thing is; we don't chump out and stay in when there is snow out. We get out there as many times as we can. It's fun!!!

chris
Dec 31 2004, 06:37 AM
I can't understand why snowed-in golfers aren't the best putters in the world.

who says snowed-in golfers AREN'T the best putters in the world?

Dec 31 2004, 11:02 AM
So what do you guys think about his snowy weather, it blows. My first disc golf winter. I need to play this weekend.

I do not advise throwing white plastic in snow. sometimes the disc spins in and down and disappears. iced over ponds are a good thing :D

vwkeepontruckin
Dec 31 2004, 04:29 PM
I've thrown thousands of putts indoors and I'm not a good putter at all. Putting indoors and putting outside are two very different things.

BTW- Are you the best putter in the world? You practice putting indoors all the time why wouldn't you be?

Prop up a strong electrical fan behind the basket...instand practice at headwind putts.

Dec 31 2004, 04:56 PM
Luke:

Kurt is probably the best putter in WA and OR. (Maybe Idaho too. IdahoJon, where are you when I need you?)
It's not that he's a good putter. He's like an idiot savant. He lets go, the disc falls in. Easy game, right? I seem to remeber him bouncing a Rattler off of the ground on its edge into a basket at a tourney at Riverside years ago. It's disgusting to watch him putt. It's a good thing he can only throw 250'. :p

Dec 31 2004, 09:31 PM
aww... ya beat me to the punch there Erik! Whats his name there smarted off to the wrong guy about putting! Kurt can do just about anything with about any disc!

Luke Butch
Jan 01 2005, 09:10 PM
OK, he's a great putter. He isn't the best putter in the world though.

Putting is only one part of the game. While some stay inside and putt others are outside working on their whole game(mental and physical parts). Besides, who would let a little white stuff stop you from playing Disc Golf?

otimechamp
Jan 02 2005, 09:44 PM
If You are pasionate about putting you will putt better.

Jan 03 2005, 03:14 AM
Now, I'm not trying to make Kurt out to be better than he actually is, but....

I've never seen a better putter. There are better PLAYERS out there, to be sure, but methinks you'll not find a better putter. Of course, this is only my opinion. I think he is certainly one of the best in the world on the green.

chris
Jan 03 2005, 04:23 AM
I don't think Cam Todd is to shabby either

otimechamp
Jan 03 2005, 07:06 AM
most of the pros in here in North Carolina say larry lenard is the best in the world. thats comming from touring pro's!

Jan 03 2005, 03:56 PM
Luke Butch in response:

"I've thrown thousands of putts indoors and I'm not a good putter at all." -- a few thousand ain't gonna do it. Try a few HUNDRED thousand. After about a million you should start to peak :)

"Putting indoors and putting outside are two very different things." -- absolutely correct. And putting outside vs. putting in tournaments are ALSO two very different things.

"BTW- Are you the best putter in the world? -- No I'm not the best putter in the world. To be the best putter in the world, I think you need to be:
(1) naturally athletic/gifted
(2) have a good head for theory of putting, so that when your putt is off, you know why.
(3) Yep, a few hundred thousand reps.
(4) A year or more on tour
(5) Probably add some X factor I haven't mentioned

"You practice putting indoors all the time why wouldn't you be?" -- That's just it. I DON'T practice indoors, hardly at all. And I think that's a bad thing. This year I'm going to try hard to get an apartment/house with enough room to practice indoors.

To summarize: there's more than one way to be a great 1000-rated putter. All I'm saying that I think putting a ton of putts indoors at every possible convenient free moment, even if it's just 200 putts a day during commercials, should be a great help in the long run.

One more thing about putting practice. I'm the type of guy that can rattle off 500 putts in a session no problem. Other people just can't handle that; they go nuts, get bored, etc. So maybe they can do 20 sessions of 30 putts. Or maybe they have body problems that prevent massive reps. It can also be helpful just to think about their putt for a minute (even sitting in a recliner) and then to one well-thought-out putt. I don't think I have the brains for that. My point was that being snowed in during the winter could actually be GOOD for your game, cuz then you could practice putting indoors without being distracted by the lure of simply having fun on the course.

Gotta go. sorry no time to proof this

oceanjones
Jan 03 2005, 06:23 PM
How many putts out of 100 does a 1000 rated player hit from:
30 ft?
40 ft?
50 ft?

cbdiscpimp
Jan 03 2005, 06:25 PM
I was at a putting clinic that Cam Todd put on before DGLO this year and I think he is the best putter out there. He was giving us tips and looking directly at us while talking and he sunk 3 40 footers in a row without even looking at the freakin basket. I think he might have missed 5 putts the entire 30 minute clinic that he gave us. If i could putt like anyone on tour id want to be able to putt like Cam Todd.

Jan 03 2005, 07:10 PM
i watched him warm up at the wide open a couple years ago.he was really good, todd branch is really good as well.

JohnKnudson
Jan 03 2005, 11:59 PM
Wow, Kurt is so nice. I sincerely appreciate reading the things that he posts on the board.

As for the rest of you knuckleheads, you never cease to amaze me. The thought of Luke Butch, a 928-rated golfer, questioning Kurt Bayne, someone who was recently a 997-rated golfer, is truly absurd. Sadly, it seems to be par for the course on this message board.

If Kurt were to win the putting competition at the World Championships this year, 60% of you dopes would fuss over what color, run, and weight putter he threw. You would post about which variation, permutation, or aberration flew the best, and then you would whine to high heaven when you couldn't find any more frisbees exactly like "your" special putter. At least 39% of you sub-900 rated players would post your advice to Kurt and tell him that he would be even better if he would just throw an Aviar, Magnet, Wizard, or pie tin. Perhaps 1% of the people who frequent this site would actually read and consider what Kurt has written. Maybe five of these people would make an effort to incorporate his advice into their practice routine, and two might stick to the training regimen that he has already described. I would encourage those two people to track down the two articles that Kurt wrote for the now defunct Disc Golf Action magazine. These well-written and comprehensive articles describe the mindset that one needs to play consistent "on the clock" disc golf.

You may now return to your trash talk, poster ratings, and sack licking. Hurry, hurry!

Jan 04 2005, 02:47 AM
I think the title of those articles was "Steady Golf." They were great in their consideration of the mental game as well as the physical. Sadly, Rene Espinoza is gone, and so is Disc Golf Action.

John, you don't happen to have those articles, do you? I'd sure like a copy of them. PM me if you do. Thanks.

Jan 04 2005, 02:58 AM
You may now return to your trash talk, poster ratings, and sack licking. Hurry, hurry!

LMAO!!! you're just pissy because you have a poster rating of roughly 3 points. :o

chris
Jan 04 2005, 04:19 AM
He is just pissy because he isn't a 1000 rated putter

Jan 04 2005, 05:48 PM
I have those for you lil' E, I will have to search my archives.

~Chris

Jan 04 2005, 06:53 PM
On page 9 of this thread where I originally put my advice for newbies to become 1000-rated players, I mentioned about saving money for tourneys. I have an idea that might be helpful for saving some money for those that can't seem to save.

For a present for my 5-year-old niece, I saved up all the change I got for the last month or two, cuz I hate carrying change around. I thought 5-year-olds would appreciate $20-50 of change rather than a bill. I was surprised how much money that added up to. Maybe because I'm still a 7-11, McD kind of guy.

The point is, what if you "hard-to-save" guys put all your change from this day onward into a big piggy-bank jar and tape a goal on the jar, like "2006 Worlds" or "2006 Doubles" or "2006 Japan Open" or "2007 on-tour"? Then cash-out the jar at the end of the year and see what you came up with. If you average $1 a day in change, that's $365, and pretty painless. If that's not enough, then maybe at the end of the day, you put in all your dollar-bills from your wallet into the jar also (except when you're pretty broke). Then what would you have at the end of the year? $1000? Still somewhat painless. Also, if you get a windfall, like a tax return, then AT LEAST 10-15% into the jar (50-80% is best). Maybe also small jar in your car for convenience.

If you start significantly raiding your piggy-bank, you might have to give up the change every week or month to a friend/parent/neighbor to safeguard.

So something for "hard-to-save" guys to think about. Maybe try it for a month and see if it works for you.

Also makes a great gift for 5-year-olds (some parents might freak a bit, maybe get their OK).

------------------------

Thread drift coming up: for all those DGers that never help out, how about saving up money for another basket on a course near you? Start a jar called "Basket X on course X." Get your name etched on the basket. Then when someone asks, "what have YOU ever done for DG, you lazy parasite?" you just say, "check out hole 13 on your local course." I've donated 4 or 5 baskets in this area.

Doesn't have to be a basket either. Donate a tee, for example. Unlike a basket, a great tee prevents injury. Or maybe you can pony up $500 for the best disc golf sign in your region. Probably tax-deductable too, if you make enough money for that to matter.

Anyway, you get the idea. After you get the money together, make sure you clear the idea with the powers-that-be, both DG-clubwise and parks-gov't-wise.

After you pull something like this off, I guarantee that you'll feel good about pulling your weight in the DG world. It also builds up karma-luck too BTW. :)

ANHYZER
Jan 05 2005, 02:28 AM
Sweet idea

Jan 05 2005, 03:54 AM
Thanks Chris. you'll have to come to PDX for the NT this year. See you then, if not before!

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 05 2005, 01:53 PM
I have a bank account set up for just that reason. I save change, and any money from leagues goes there too! Not to mention a good size % of my paychecks!

It all helps the cause!

ANHYZER
Jan 05 2005, 11:50 PM
Can I have a couple of bucks? It's for food I swear.

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 06 2005, 01:18 AM
Can I have a couple of bucks? It's for food I swear.

No go...I am a lowely college student.

ANHYZER
Jan 06 2005, 01:51 AM
Go back to English 101 it is not that lowly :D

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 06 2005, 03:40 PM
Go back to English 101 it is not that lowly :D

Yeah Yeah.

Jan 06 2005, 04:20 PM
There was a question: "How many putts out of 100 does a 1000 rated player hit from: 30 ft? 40 ft? 50 ft?"

That's hard to answer because there are 1000-rated players that don't putt so hot, but throw great. But even bad 1000 rated players are at least OK putters.

I think a touring pro needs to answer that question. Where's Shweb?

I think in practice situations, good numbers to go for are:
30 ft - 95%
40 ft - 80%
50 ft - 50%+?

Maybe I'm 5% too high on those numbers, maybe not.

That plus at least a reasonable amount of practice and theory with different angles, uphill/downhill, wind, etc. should give you a reasonable claim to being a 1000 rated putter.

As I said before, I would personally practice most of my putts in the shorter range, but do some from longer range to make sure that you are using your whole body in your putt.

Note that the numbers above might change depending on putting style. Some people have a softer, less-Z putt with great touch but perhaps less range, so that short putts are virtually 100% but long putts are too much of a reach. Then there are people with high-Z fast flicking rifle putts whose range is seemingly unlimited if they could only putt it straight. For them long putts might be not much harder than short putts, but he is capable of missing from any range.

chris
Jan 06 2005, 04:49 PM
I think in practice situations, good numbers to go for are:
30 ft - 95%
40 ft - 80%
50 ft - 50%+?

Those numbers are right on for message board percentages!! However, in real life no touring pro putts that well.
Cam's a great putter and his percentages might be close, but 19/20 from 30' is harder than it sounds. Sure players will get a stretch where they hit everything, but no one will consistanlty average that high overall . . .
I'm a 1000+ golfer and I feel putting is the best part of my game, during an average tournament round I will maybe miss between 1-2 putts from 25-35' during a round. That comes out to . . .80%ish? 40' I will probably hit about half of them in tournaments ( 50%) and anytime you hit a 50' putt or more it's a bonus!

cbdiscpimp
Jan 06 2005, 04:53 PM
Im on my way then :D Will someone FREAKIN teach me how to putt or are you guys afraid if i find a putt i might move up :eek:

Jan 06 2005, 04:53 PM
Yes Chris, the numbers I put up are simply for practice.
Meaning 100 putts in a row from X feet.

chris
Jan 06 2005, 05:00 PM
Well for putting practice with 100 putters those numbers do look about right. Although I think my 30' percentage might be a little lower and my 50' would be a little higher. I know I would miss more than 5 putts outta 100, even if it was indoors, maybe more like 10 ( 90%). Putting in doors I think I could hit more than 50 from 50'. I'm pretty bored today and we just got 7'' of snow last night so there's not much to do around here. I think I'll go snowmobiling for a little bit, then come back and do 100 putts from each distance. I'll see what my percentages really are, then post the results later on tonight! :)

z Vaughn z
Jan 07 2005, 07:27 PM
Disc golf dork.

chris
Jan 07 2005, 11:53 PM
If there is such a thing that would be me!

Jan 08 2005, 12:26 AM
Hey Chris. As a 1014 rated pro with a very strong putting game, could you share your observations regarding putting indoors verses outdoors? Blakely (recently hit 1000) was helping me with some tips on putting today, and he did happen to mention you are a much stronger putter than he and a lot of other pros...

What is your approach to putting? Do you push putt or zip it in or does that depend on the distance and wind?

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 08 2005, 07:00 AM
Hey Chris. As a 1014 rated pro with a very strong putting game, could you share your observations regarding putting indoors verses outdoors? Blakely (recently hit 1000) was helping me with some tips on putting today, and he did happen to mention you are a much stronger putter than he and a lot of other pros...

What is your approach to putting? Do you push putt or zip it in or does that depend on the distance and wind?

Chris Heeren (http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/chrisheeren2.shtml)

chris
Jan 08 2005, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I don't know if I have the best putting form . . . I seem to be off-balance a lot which is not a good thing. But my putts tend to go in quite often so I'm not about to change anything. I think the best putting advice I've read is from Ken Climo's home page. I recommend checking it out.

http://www.kenclimo.com/

Jan 08 2005, 01:14 PM
Okay, thanks. I have read Climo's advice and it does seem like whenever I stop before putting, and think of what Climo said, I make the putt. :D

Jan 08 2005, 02:03 PM
Kenny's advice is EXCELLENT when i first read that a few years ago it helped my terrible putting game improve a ton.

Jan 08 2005, 08:51 PM
This morning (in the snow!) I did 60 putts (10 sets x 6 discs) at 30 feet and only missed 3 (which I THINK is 95%).

Then I played a wolf round with friends and couldn't hit a barn!

My excuse is that my whole game is designed to peak during the DG season :)

slo
Jan 08 2005, 09:06 PM
Kenny's advice is EXCELLENT when i first read that a few years ago it helped my terrible putting game improve a ton.

In a gist:
[QUOTE]
<font size=3>Weight Shift with Little Spin
Putting is all about distance, timing and speed. If you can effectively master the distance and speed of your putts, your accuracy will increase with more putts dropping in. If you have total control over the speed and distance, the line is going to take care of itself.</font>

Now, why can't I remember that away from the keyboard?

Jan 09 2005, 03:43 AM
get out of my head! :D :D

maybe we could get that KC advice printed onto our putters /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

slo
Jan 09 2005, 03:50 AM
OK for YOU; I'd still be challenged to REMEMBER to read it. :D

slo
Jan 09 2005, 04:02 AM
The thought of Luke Butch, a 928-rated golfer, questioning Kurt Bayne, someone who was recently a 997-rated golfer, is truly absurd.

Well, Kurt's now at 970...does that mean his advise can knock 27 points off my rating? http://chat.pups.ru/img/big_smile.gif

chris
Jan 09 2005, 05:04 AM
lol, well you can always try it and find out :) If you follow my putting advice your rating is garenteed to stay the same.

Jan 09 2005, 02:41 PM
OK for YOU; I'd still be challenged to REMEMBER to read it. :D

:DI think the thing that happens for me when I stop to think of Ken's advice before putting is it makes me confident. Putting with confidence (the real kind not the pretended kind) is probably a huge key. problem is, to have it you almost have to earn it. :D

sometimes someone below 900 can give better advice than a superpro like say ... uh.... Chris :D i just try to take in as much as I can from everyone before throwing it all out and making or missing the putts on my own

slo
Jan 09 2005, 04:48 PM
Ditto that on confidence...out this way, we call that "feelin' it".

I am certainly NOT a K-ranked player, but he's a tip I'll pass on from one who is: Get REAL close to the basket when you begin to putt. Concentrate on your motion; after a bit you will 'remember' what your putting form is about. It won't feel right until it does; that mind/body connection is what I mean by 'remember'. Once you get to the "oh, yeah!" point, you can move back, etc.

O.K., this part is mere opinion: 'Feeling' your putting will help your driving confidence more than the other way 'round. ;)

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 09 2005, 05:08 PM
Well the way I see it, when you can confidently make your 25'ers, it can give you the confidence to take the risk/reward line knowing that even if you come up short on either the tee shot or the upshot, you can make the putt. Also, it allows you to be a little more aggressive...IE-you KNOW you can make the 20' comebacker.

danknug
Jan 11 2005, 11:21 AM
I FEEL THE BEST WAY TO PUTT IS TO NOT THINK AND JUST GO INTO NATURAL ACTION I HAVE A STRADDLE PUT WHERE I CAN STEP IN FRONT OF MY MINI LOOK UP AND FIRE I SHOOT LIKE A GUN FIGHTER

circle_2
Jan 11 2005, 03:33 PM
I FEEL THE BEST WAY TO PUTT IS TO NOT THINK AND JUST GO INTO NATURAL ACTION I HAVE A STRADDLE PUT WHERE I CAN STEP IN FRONT OF MY MINI LOOK UP AND FIRE I SHOOT LIKE A GUN FIGHTER

The funny thing is...is when I read any ALL-CAP message/post, I am actually hearing my own inner voice 'yelling' it...! Weird!!?!!

Jan 11 2005, 05:55 PM

The funny thing is...is when I read any ALL-CAP message/post, I am actually hearing my own inner voice 'yelling' it...! Weird!!?!!

You are hearing voices? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

chris
Jan 12 2005, 01:23 AM
That's the first sign to back away from your computer, take a deep breathe, and maybe go outside to get some fresh air.

Jan 12 2005, 02:02 AM
I find that after a few days of practice sessions in which I hit 250 five footers in a row, those six and seven foot putts seem a whole lot easier :D :D

circle_2
Jan 13 2005, 04:12 PM

You are hearing voices? /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yeah, and the voices keep telling me, "MORE COWBELL!!"
:D

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 13 2005, 05:18 PM

My God...........................the MRV thread is spreading......

Jan 13 2005, 06:34 PM

My God...........................the MRV thread is spreading......

You know, for as much ***** as the MRV takes, I can't think of another disc that has that big of a thread devoted to it... it may not be famous... but its definitely infamous.

z Vaughn z
Jan 13 2005, 08:43 PM
The MRV has given me two aces this past summer on the same disc. I have respect.

vwkeepontruckin
Jan 14 2005, 01:55 AM
No disrespect intended...I was remarking on how drift prone that thread has become.

Jan 14 2005, 05:16 AM
No disrespect intended...I was remarking on how drift prone that thread has become.

Its funny that no one will openly disrespect it but it has such an infamous thread. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif