Nov 28 2004, 11:19 PM
I saw someone use a throw similar at a tourney but didn't get a good view of how he threw it. I think it's like a regular forehand, but the disc is held as a thumber and upside down. It spins while flying at about the same rate as a regular overhand thumber. However, it just goes straight forward and does not need much height. I have started to try implementing this into my aresenal for tight woods. I was wondering if anyone could identify this type of throw, or would have any suggestions for improving on this type. I'll try getting either pics or video, but it's supposed to be rainy the next few days here in the flatness of Ohio.

Thanx

gnduke
Nov 29 2004, 04:30 AM
I use a line drive thumber under canopies all the time. You won't get the distance of a high shot, but the ability to cut hard right and carry after the turn are very useful.

The two main points that make it a strong choice for tight areas are that the disc is generally in a vertical postion for most of it's flight and rarely will kick off a tree for any distance to the right or left and if you throw it so that it hits the ground on it's back, you will get a fairly long right turning skip (for a right hand throw).

The grip and throw are the same as an overhead, just thrown with a lot of velocity on a lower line. For a quicker, more exagerated turn, drop the disc more toward a sidearm release.

bfunkyp
Nov 29 2004, 03:16 PM
what kind of disc do you use for this shot? Your regular thumber disc? Under? Over?

gnduke
Nov 29 2004, 03:38 PM
Three things I've noticed.

More overstable discs (firebirds, orcs, starfires) turn over slower, and get more distance before turning right. They also have more right to left movement during the inverted portion of the flight.

More understable discs turn quicker and tend to hold a straighter line while inverted.

High speed understable/low speed stable discs (valks,vikings) tend to hold a straighter line, and can start flying sideways (right) before hitting the ground instead of relying on the skip.

If you hit the ground just as the right edge of the disc is starting to drop, the disc will skip almost 90 degrees right. If you hit the ground while the disc is still flat, you can get amazing straight line distance skips at very high speeds. The straight line skip is not easily repeated, but it was very entertaining to watch go zipping past the basket and into the creek.

jdebois
Nov 29 2004, 03:40 PM
I was also wondering what you all use for thumbers. The only thing I use is a Champion Teebird but I've heard the Firebird is also good b/c it starts it's rotation later, allowing to go further if thrown hard enough.

I try to throw the Thumber whenever I get the chance. I try to use it as a first option b/c I am most accurate with it, as opposed to most of my other shots.

How far do you guys throw your thumber? I'm throwing my teebird roughly 300 ft. Not sure how this # stacks up with other golfers who throw the thumber a lot.

Luke Butch
Nov 29 2004, 06:41 PM
I've seen a lot of discs go far as thumbers. A local guy can throw 400' thumbers with a Z Xtreme. Firebirds are also popular. I think it is more of finding the right disc speed/ stability for you.

Nov 29 2004, 07:37 PM
lately I've only been using 1 disc to get the feel of it, instead of switching all the time. It's a pretty beat up XS, and gets more and more beat as I'm trying to develop more accuracy for the fairway than the trees. I tried it with a Glide(the 04 ace race disc) that one didn't work as well.

Nov 29 2004, 07:39 PM
I use a Champion Banshee.

nix
Nov 29 2004, 07:48 PM
The straight line skip is not easily repeated, but it was very entertaining to watch go zipping past the basket and into the creek.

HAHA! Now dat was funny!! ;)

300' is pretty good D for a thumber. I can max out at 275, if I really get it just right. Most of the time it is closer to 250. Of course, it starts to hurt my arm after I throw just a few of them. RHBH I can get 365-385 pretty accurate and maybe a 400 footer every once in a while...

I throw a firebird or tee bird for my thumbers- but i should probably practice with some others to see what happens.

Nov 29 2004, 07:55 PM
The Z-Flick is pretty good thumber disc try it you will like it.

jasonc
Nov 29 2004, 08:03 PM
Been throwing a TL 300++ for most of my thumbers. I like the way the Z-Flick flies as a thumber but I just can't get used to the wide rim.

Tony ???(Laura Q can get the last name) threw my CE Eagle from 2's teepad to about 100' short of 1's short box at Veteran's (about 450') and I know that Cheeseburger (Brian Schweburger) can get some sick distance on his also.

vwkeepontruckin
Nov 29 2004, 09:02 PM
I've always found overstable discs to work out the best for long distance UDs. I used to use a Champion Banshee, but have since been using a "CE" Spirit. I can get them about 345' or so, and I use my roller for really REALLY quick turns and then it drops. I can only get my roller out to about 200' though. :confused:

Nov 29 2004, 09:35 PM
I throw RHBH and can only get around 250 consistently, but with the thumber i put it about 200. I also only play short courses and very few tourneys

Nov 30 2004, 01:06 AM
I throw a 165g Champ Valk for my thumbers but I never throw them for distance. I have thrown some tomahawks 300' but it don't feel great and thumbers feel even worse. They can be spot-on accurate though. Hole 12, Blendon Woods, Columbus, OH. Perfect for a thumber.

mikeP
Nov 30 2004, 02:02 AM
The best power thumber discs are usually very overstable. I have found medium-fast speed discs get better distance than the newest, fastest discs because they turn a little slower while moving forward through their flight. The Flick and Speed Demon turn so fast that they don't have a chance to get out there very far in my experience. My favorite thumber discs are CE Firebirds, Champion Banshees, and lately I've been working with a Z Predator and am really getting some good distance when I hit the right line.

Nov 30 2004, 03:50 AM
Nobody mentions the Epic here? The 1st time I threw it, I launched a Tomahawk and after it flipped it actually flattened back out and hyzered another 30 or so feet. I unfortunately never again got that kind of flight from it for some unkown reason, and after 2 days and maybe 15 tries It went back in the trunk of my car never to be used again.

DweLLeR
Nov 30 2004, 08:48 AM
Ive thrown the Epic. I dont have the over hand snap required to make it carry after flipping, like Beast156g referred to. But I still like the disc although I dont carry one. I use a beat Flash or a Monster for thumbers. Pick a spot right or left under 300' and I'll get it there. ;)

gnduke
Nov 30 2004, 10:29 AM
I like the Epic, and have gotten the same corkscrew from a Dragon, but not with a line drive.

bruceuk
Dec 01 2004, 05:17 AM
Ok the big overhead throw is something I've set myself to learn over the winter.
Having 5 years experience playing Ultimate prior to taking up DG, I'm more comfortable with the hammer (tomahawk in US speak?) than the thumber, but watching other players throw overhead, it seems like they all throw thumbers.
Are they just easier/better with golf discs?

krupicka
Dec 01 2004, 02:55 PM
The choice of which to throw is really more dependent on which way you want the disc to corkscrew rather than distance. That said, I think my overhead throw with the thumb on the underside of the disc goes a little farther than my overhead throw w/ a split finger on the underside.

Of course when I hear thumbers I think of throwing the disc side-arm with a grip where the thumb is on the underside of the disc pointing in the opposite direction of my index finger.

Luke Butch
Dec 01 2004, 03:01 PM
Ok the big overhead throw is something I've set myself to learn over the winter.
Having 5 years experience playing Ultimate prior to taking up DG, I'm more comfortable with the hammer (tomahawk in US speak?) than the thumber, but watching other players throw overhead, it seems like they all throw thumbers.
Are they just easier/better with golf discs?

It's different due to the huge increase in speed and stability.

Pancakes(overhand w/ disc landing flat and sliding) can be thrown about the same as an ultimate disc as with a putter

Dec 03 2004, 01:54 PM
Perhaps I am missing the definition here but I still need help.

From Ultimate I have been able to approach over bushes, trees, etc with a tomahawk/hammer (fingers on the underside of my aviar/roc). This throw causes the disc to fall down to the right. I was told that the hook thumb (thumb on the underside, fingers in a fan on the top side) would cause the disc to fall to the left.

This does not happen for me, my hook thumb throws always fall to the right just like my tomahawk. Have I been told a fallacy or am I throwing it wrong? How do I get an overhand approach to fall to the left? I am usually doing this throw with Aviars or Rocs depending on the distance. My hammer is really good from ultimate so I am confused why the hook thumb is not working right.

Thanks.

And with the Epic, with the tomahawk if you throw it hard enough you can get it to flip over twice. I think I got about 250-275 feet out of it, I did not want to throw out my arm. Either way, the disc is no good.

krupicka
Dec 03 2004, 02:52 PM
(Assuming right handed).

A hook thumber has the under side of your disc to your left and is released about 12 degrees right of vertical. I believe I usually have only two fingers on the top of the flight plate of the disc (if I had a disc in my office I'd more sure of that). Thrown overhand like this the disc will corkscrew clockwise (cut left and drop right.)

To get your tomahawk to fall left, release the disc about 12 degrees left of vertical. This will corkscrew counter clockwise (cut right first and fall left.)

Dec 03 2004, 05:39 PM
Also, this is probably just a matter of preference, but I've heard of throwing thumbers with the fingers curled in. So instead of having a fan grip on the top part of the disc, you'd make a make a fist, then kinda just slide the disc inbetween your thumb and index finger, with your thumb hooking around the rim.

gnduke
Dec 03 2004, 05:46 PM
The fist grip is the one I learned the thumber with. I think it is easier to use when you are dropping the disc more toward the side-arm position (releasing further from vertical) to get the disc to cut earlier, and easier to throw the line drive/skip thumbers with.

Dec 03 2004, 06:51 PM
I curl my index finger over when throwing it more sidearm, but for getting over trees and what not I use the fan grip more. I am soo inconsistent :o

Dec 03 2004, 06:54 PM
To get your tomahawk to fall left, release the disc about 12 degrees left of vertical. This will corkscrew counter clockwise (cut right first and fall left.)

So basically I can stick with the standard tomahawk I am used to, (fingers under the disc) and it is just a matter of release angle? A least that is what I am understanding.

krupicka
Dec 03 2004, 11:31 PM
When I said tomahawk there I was referring to split fingers on under side of disc. I'm not sure if I did the same angles but flipped the disc that I would get similar results. Guess I'll have to try tomorrow. I'm thinking probably not. I did find that if I threw with the fingers on the underside but at 12 o'clock I got no corkscrew at all. (functions much more as a roller). Obviously experiment with what works best for you. I found for me I can get consistent corkscrews
clockwise: thumb on bottom. disc released at 1 o'clock
counter-clockwise: fingers on bottom. disc released at 11 o'clock

If I can try to analyze it, by throwing the disc slightly upside down the profile that causes the disc to normally lift and have a high speed turn are working with gravity and not against it. This causes the initial flight to cut so that the disc goes upside down. The momentum keeps the disc moving in this direction and is used to boost the disc higher in the air. When the disc starts to loose speed after reaching the top of the loop it drops fast but still with the lateral direction it had been traveling in.

At least that's the way I think about it. :-)

Dec 04 2004, 12:03 AM
too complicated.....thumber falls right...hammers fall left and scoobies can fall either........opposite for lefty's.....hard shot to master...but if you are coming the the piney woods in tyler your going to need it

liam

Frost
Dec 06 2004, 12:30 PM
alright a thumber is where your thumb is on the inside rim of the disc. you want to release the disc at a vertical angle out of your hand. the best thing to do is use a firebird or monster (something overstable) and throw the disc high and let it work. a thumber always will turn over and fall back right so play it left of where you target is.(oppisite for left handers) once you start getting the feal for it the key to distance is a nice clean release with a lot of snap. just work on it till you get it. its gotten me out of more trouble than any other shot.

ANHYZER
Dec 07 2004, 02:26 AM
Just start throwing it with the same motion you would if you were throwing a baseball. Remember that you still have to SNAP the your wrist-like the crane style kung-fu. Then start tinkering with the height...You'll figure it out soon.

PS. Keep your whole body into it and snap your wrist more than you throw your arm. :cool:

vwkeepontruckin
Dec 07 2004, 10:51 AM
Just start throwing it with the same motion you would if you were throwing a baseball. Remember that you still have to SNAP the your wrist-like the crane style kung-fu. Then start tinkering with the height...You'll figure it out soon.

PS. Keep your whole body into it and snap your wrist more than you throw your arm. :cool:

Follow through is KEY...but also don't forget how to throw them w/o any flip/corkscrew...it could save your [*****] someday!! :D