bfunkyp
Nov 16 2004, 05:41 PM
Just wondering how many people out there play without the X-step or some form of run up? I have been playing for about a year and a half and I am very consistent and get good distance without it (270' - 300.') I have both feet planted and try and get as much whip out of my body as possible. Disc golf season will be winding down here in VT pretty soon and I am wondering if I should start learning the x-step first thing next spring, or just keep working on the technique that I use now?

I'll give you a topic, talk amongs yourselves...

Nov 16 2004, 05:44 PM
Just wondering how many people out there play without the X-step or some form of run up? I have been playing for about a year and a half and I am very consistent and get good distance without it (270' - 300.') I have both feet planted and try and get as much whip out of my body as possible. Disc golf season will be winding down here in VT pretty soon and I am wondering if I should start learning the x-step first thing next spring, or just keep working on the technique that I use now?

I'd only add the x-step if you want more distance on your drive. If you don't, there's probably no reason to add it.

james_mccaine
Nov 16 2004, 05:44 PM
You should learn the x-step and the basic 1 step. I've never seen a top player who threw all their shots in the manner you describe.

crotts
Nov 16 2004, 05:50 PM
i generally have no run up when i play, all i do is stomp (i guess that describes it) my front leg as i release.

i throw 350 range with a few around 390

: ) :

ryangwillim
Nov 16 2004, 05:53 PM
Learning the X-step will give you more fluid form, which in turn will improve your accuracy, and you will be able to generate more power with less effort.

Yes, learn it.

cbdiscpimp
Nov 16 2004, 05:56 PM

If you are not using a run up i assume your throwing motion is more of a JERKING motion then it is a coil and un coil fluid motion with lots of snap at the end. The X step allows you to coil your body then plant and uncoil while transferig all your energy to your arm and threw the snap of the disc. If you can throw 300 just standing still i would think if you learned a run up with an X step you could easily throw over 400 ft.

As said before though i dont know ANY top pros that throw all of their shots from a stand still. Most of them use a run up on just about everything but putting.

I would suggest learning the run up and X step. I think it will remove alot of stress that you put on your body from just standing still and trying to RIP it.

This is just my opinion i could be wrong.

james_mccaine
Nov 16 2004, 05:57 PM
Well, I consider a "stomp" to be a 1-step throw. It at least allows for easier balance and power transfer IMO. If you can throw 390 consistently, I wouldn't change a thing, but I still have not seen a top player throw all their shots only using a 1 step, although I could possibly concieve that there are some.

I realize the fact that no (or few) top players throw that way is not conclusive, but I think it at least means you would be swimming upstream.

Nov 16 2004, 06:12 PM
I have been testing a one step midrange throw, seems to be easier to control, when using the x-step, it just rips out to fast for me to have any control over my roc

Znash
Nov 16 2004, 07:28 PM
A three step drop works well with the X-step. I have seen my game improve now that i don't take a huge run up. I think the X-step works and would have a hard time with out it, but is not the only thang out there. look around and find a style that you like, and never forget that standing still is a style and it seams to work for you.(?) If you would like to add distance to your drive then consider the X-step and try it out. the main thing with distance is fluid motion, being smooth really helps my distance.

Sharky
Nov 16 2004, 07:33 PM
Some one once told me a pro knows all the shots. So work on them all, an x-step, a hop, rollers, forehands.

Nov 16 2004, 07:52 PM
I only use X-step off the tee. All my approaches are usually stationary.

Nov 16 2004, 08:04 PM
If you are not using a run up i assume your throwing motion is more of a JERKING motion then it is a coil and un coil fluid motion with lots of snap at the end.

Why would you assume that? Ball golfers are able to generate powerful, fluid swings without a run-up; martial artists are able to generate tremendous arm-speed and power by coiling and uncoiling fluidly without a run-up; Major League shortstops are able to plant their feet and throw fluidly across their bodies from deep in the hole: why should it be any different for disc golfers?

gnduke
Nov 17 2004, 02:56 AM
Just imagine how much more speed and distance a shortstop could generate if he had the time to step into his throw and follow through.

I don't see it so much as a question of possibility, but as a quetsion of longevity. If there is a method that gets equal of better results while putting less pressure on your joints, use it whenever possible.

Nov 17 2004, 03:15 AM
Fact- Most major league shortstops throw with higher velocity to 1st base, than pitchers do to home plate. This is because of thier hop and or run up if they had no run up and only 1 step they couldn't. So in otherwords adding leading steps and or an X step will definately increase distance but with the possible decrease in accuracy.

riverdog
Nov 17 2004, 09:21 AM
Yup, what Felix said. At fifty-two I have been playing the game for four years. For most of that time I used the X-step as a walk up on my drives. However, in the last year I have had two back surgeries and one knee surgery necessitating a different approach if I want to continue playing, and I most definitely do. I guess you would call what I do a one step, or more accurately a half step and it must be pretty fluid because I consistently throw 280-300 with occasional pops to 320. Surprisingly that is what I was throwing before all the scalpel work. It's tempting to try to work back into the x-step, but "it don't seem to be broke" so I hesitate to try to "fix it". It is unlikely that I will ever compete at an exceedingly high level, and I gotta tell ya, I'm just tickled to be out there throwing at all. It's like I tell folks training their dogs, know what you want out of them and train for that, and don't let others dictate your goals.

Rodney Gilmore
Nov 17 2004, 09:42 AM
I see both sides of the argument here because I threw w/ no runup or movement for the first 3 or 4 years I played and still stand still for certain shots. With no runup I could throw about 350'. With a 5 step runup I can get about 450'. My throws now are smoother with less strain on my lower back (I did pull my back twice w/ no runup, haven't since).

Just my personal opinion but I'd work on the runup. There are some shots that require an excess of power that you won't be able to do standing still. Don't forget how to just stand and throw, it can still be useful for some stuff but I don't believe it's the best throw for everything an will limit your game.

eddie_ogburn
Nov 17 2004, 09:54 AM
X-step is crucial. Learn it. Or just dont ever miss putts, like LL.

Nov 17 2004, 10:31 AM
Fact- Most major league shortstops throw with higher velocity to 1st base, than pitchers do to home plate. This is because of thier hop and or run up if they had no run up and only 1 step they couldn't. So in otherwords adding leading steps and or an X step will definately increase distance but with the possible decrease in accuracy.

Not disputing that. What I am disputing is the unwarranted assumption that a no-runup throw is or will be jerky rather than fluid.

Nov 17 2004, 11:19 AM
Some one once told me a pro knows all the shots. So work on them all, an x-step, a hop, rollers, forehands.

Darn straight. You can have Pro distance +400ft, and you can have Pro putting 75% or better from within 30ft, but if you do not have the all around game then you are best off staying in Amateur. Quite often professional layouts on courses, take for instance Winthrop Gold. If you do not have the all around game, you will suffer greatly over the people who do. I had a friend who tied for 19th this year, he only throws backhand but in essance carrys about 10 different Rocs for different direction shots. He even admits he could of done better with a more all around game.

This is why I like landing in adverse spots while practicing casual rounds. Forcing me to throw thumbers, tomahawks, rollers, spike anhyzer side arms, and other shots I do not normally make. Hopefully with this practice, and putting practice, I am only about 50% inside 30ft, I can move up to compete in Open this coming summer.

But using the X-step and also knowing flat footed throws are beneficial to your all around game.

dm4
Nov 17 2004, 11:20 AM
Blake Needles, a pro from NE, throws with both feet planted... as far as he wants! I have seen him throw 450'! But he is the ONLY pro I have seen that can do it. I think you need to learn the x step!

By the way, martial artists generate more power with steps, and take the steps for whatever technique when they can.

anita
Nov 17 2004, 11:43 AM
Actually Blake takes a small step when driving.

I would think that throwing with an approach (not necessarily a run-up) would make you throw farther with less effort. It uses the lower body in the throw. Your lower body is stronger than your upper body, so why not use it? Personally I found that the pull across the body was the easiest thing I did to improve both distance and accuracy.

cbdiscpimp
Nov 17 2004, 12:00 PM
Not disputing that. What I am disputing is the unwarranted assumption that a no-runup throw is or will be jerky rather than fluid.

I also said that was my opinion and i could be wrong but to get any kind of power out from 2 planted feet that dont move at all i would think that it would be jerky.

The golf swing comment and the short stop comment are also non relative because golfers use a different plane when they make their shot and shorts stops do take a hop step into throws.

I can see it being fluid and smooth but not getting very much distance out of it because i stand still on most of my shots inside 300. That to me though is not very much distance because i can throw a Challenger 300 ft with a run up.

The X step in my opinion creates alot more power which will result in alot more distance :D

I didnt mean to rag on your throw or say it wasnt fluid. The guys i have seen that try and throw FAR (far being over 400 ft) with 2 planted feet arent very fluid they tend to jerk very hard to make up for not having a run up.

Didnt mean to offend you. The planted foot shot CAN be fluid i just dont think a fluid stand still will go very far.

Thats just my opinion i could be wrong

bfunkyp
Nov 17 2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I love being able to get great free advice from all over the country. As it seems to happen everytime I log on here, there is much to think over, and much more to practice.

One benefit of using the planted foot technique is that it forced me to practice putting. That is now the strongest aspect of my game and I hope to add distance next spring.

Thanks again, I truly appreciate it.

Sharky
Nov 17 2004, 03:25 PM
Be careful not to "throw your arm off" looking for extra distance. Just throw smooth at perhaps 85% of your strength and follow thru. I agree 100% spending a lot of time putting is the way to go + it shouldn't be too hard on the arm.

bfunkyp
Nov 17 2004, 04:18 PM
Be careful not to "throw your arm off" looking for extra distance. Just throw smooth at perhaps 85% of your strength and follow thru. I agree 100% spending a lot of time putting is the way to go + it shouldn't be too hard on the arm.

Jeez, where were you in June. :DI learned that lesson the hard way.

Nov 17 2004, 04:26 PM
How do you generate enough armspeed for good snap just standing still? Is there still a lot of torso motion involved or is it just arm? Are you facing your target the whole time? Just curious...

riverdog
Nov 17 2004, 05:14 PM
Mucho torso movement standing still and stepping into lead foot, it's just a lot more controlled. You are not so much generating "extra" snap by stopping your forward movement with your lead foot. On the down side, I can three putt from most anywhere. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cbdiscpimp
Nov 17 2004, 05:47 PM
Mucho torso movement standing still and stepping into lead foot, it's just a lot more controlled. You are not so much generating "extra" snap by stopping your forward movement with your lead foot. On the down side, I can three putt from most anywhere.

Just a quick question. If your STANDING STILL how are you STEPPING INTO YOUR LEAD??????????????? FOOT :confused: :confused: :confused:

Seems to me if you are standing still you are stepping into anything you are just standing there feet planted and throwing. Cuz if you are stepping into the throw thats called a 1 step run up not a stand still throw :o

So are you standing still or are you doing the one step run up??? :confused:

Nov 17 2004, 06:49 PM
\By the way, martial artists generate more power with steps, and take the steps for whatever technique when they can.

Not even remotely relevant. The only relevant issue is whether or not steps are NECESSARY to executing a powerful, fluid technique/throw.

Nov 17 2004, 07:04 PM
bottom line, one does not always need a run up to throw a 60+- foot midrange shot. I find this gives me so much more accuracy. I can control the speed of the disc much easier, as when I x-step i go into driving mode and put too much speed on the midrange shot. (all this is objective of course and will vary shot to shot, player to player.) what a great game we have

cbdiscpimp
Nov 17 2004, 09:19 PM
bottom line, one does not always need a run up to throw a 60+- foot midrange shot.

Since when did a 60 foot shot become a midrange shot and not a PUTT??? :confused:

I usually stand still on everything thats under 300. I dont consider that FAR though in disc golf terms. What i was saying is i dont think anyone who just stands and throws will ever be able to throw FAR (far being over 450 FT)

I understand a fluid motion can be made standing still because i do it EVERY round. All i am saying is its not going to be POWERFULL. IMO powerfull shots produce distances in excess of 400 ft. So i dont see a stand still throw producing any kind of power.

Thats just my opinion :D

Nov 17 2004, 10:48 PM
I don't have the direct answer for these questions but I think that thinking about this will help.

How many top pros do you know throw 400ft + standing still, not a 1 step run up?

How many amateurs or recreational players do you know who can throw 400ft+ standing still, not a 1 step run up?

I think the likely answers are;

Only a few in the world

and

None

If your an amateur or rec player that can throw farther then a legitimately marked 400ft, standing still, you are a god and I bow to your greatness.

It takes the all the fluditiy of all of my hip movement, and shoulder/back turn to throw my drives over 400ft.

riverdog
Nov 18 2004, 08:43 AM
Right argumentative individual aren't you Pimp? RHBH left foot never moves, right foot strides forward maybe two feet, torso rotating during all this, call it what you like, half step, one step, no step. The point is, give the guy the benefit of your vast knowledge of disc golf, then let the dude's game evolve as he choses. :)

Nov 18 2004, 09:32 AM
It takes the all the fluditiy of all of my hip movement, and shoulder/back turn to throw my drives over 400ft.

I think the main point is that you can still be fluid without the run up but will definately sacrifice speed and power. The reason that most women can't throw as far as most guys isn't because they aren't as fluid. It's just harder for them to generate the power and speed it takes to get a disc out super far.

shamoo
Nov 18 2004, 09:58 AM
If I stare at the whiteness between the lines in all these posts it says"practice enough and anything is possible". I've had the opportunity to play golf these past two summers with a well practiced one-legged gentleman from the left coast. Watching this balanced driving ability, and he could go deep, has added extra distance to my step drives, but nothing helps me play better than practice.
I also learned a great deal about balance playing hacky-sack with this guy on the cardeck of a heavily listing ferry in rough seas for 45 minutes. Try that after a few frosties.

cbdiscpimp
Nov 18 2004, 10:19 AM
Does he have a prostetic or just one leg???

That is amazing. I actually read an article about a guy who has a very advanced prostetic and he plays disc golf. I wonder what kind of run up he uses???

vwkeepontruckin
Nov 18 2004, 11:28 AM

That is amazing. I actually read an article about a guy who has a very advanced prostetic and he plays disc golf. I wonder what kind of run up he uses???

I read the same thing. From the pictures, it looked as if he uses a small step or so, and his arm was REALLY curled up.

Nov 18 2004, 12:16 PM
bottom line, one does not always need a run up to throw a 60+- foot midrange shot.

Since when did a 60 foot shot become a midrange shot and not a PUTT??? :confused:

------------------------------------------------
<font color="yellow"> </font> do you understand +- ie: plus, minus
------------------------------------------------
I usually stand still on everything thats under 300. I dont consider that FAR though in disc golf terms. What i was saying is i dont think anyone who just stands and throws will ever be able to throw FAR (far being over 450 FT)

--------------------------------

It is not all about you. So you stand still under 300 but early up on the thread you were asking how this could be done, did i just get trolled?

I understand a fluid motion can be made standing still because i do it EVERY round. All i am saying is its not going to be POWERFULL. IMO powerfull shots produce distances in excess of 400 ft. So i dont see a stand still throw producing any kind of power.
-----------------------------------------------------------
i may be wrong, but I thought I was talking about a midrange shot, wait, I know that is what I was talking about, and in no way is 400' a midrange shot.

Thats just my opinion :D

cbdiscpimp
Nov 18 2004, 12:37 PM
It is not all about you. So you stand still under 300 but early up on the thread you were asking how this could be done, did i just get trolled?

I know its not all about me. If you want to only throw 300 feet then a fluid stand still is fine. I thought they were asking if you could throw with alot of POWER and get DISTANCE with a stand still. That i dont believe is possible. 300 ft isnt DISTANCE and it doesnt take a POWERFULL throw. This again is only my opinion.

If you think that 300 Ft is alot of Power and Distance then i guess that people can stand still and throw with Power and get DISTANCE but thats not how i think and i bet you the Top Pros dont think that 300 Ft takes alot of power OR that its alot of Distance.

Just my opinion though.

junnila
Nov 18 2004, 12:40 PM
Going back to the ball golf comment...what about Happy Gilmore, he could crush over 400 hundred yards...bottom line you need a run up of some kind for power and distance...lol

Nov 18 2004, 12:50 PM
okay okay.... uncle uncle uncle

If you think that 300 Ft is alot of Power and Distance then i guess that people can stand still and throw with Power and get DISTANCE but thats not how i think and i bet you the Top Pros dont think that 300 Ft takes alot of power OR that its alot of Distance.

I don't think this, but I can throw a very powerful shot only 10 feet if I wanted to.... chew on that, but remember I am talking about not using the x-step on a midrange throw.

Nov 18 2004, 01:48 PM

I read the same thing. From the pictures, it looked as if he uses a small step or so, and his arm was REALLY curled up.

I played with a guy at the Rocket City Blast in Huntsville Alabama, who had a Prostetic leg. I believe it was prostetic from mid thigh down. He said that he had been using it for quite sometime and is very nimble on it.

As for his run up, he used an x-step on his drives. It was as good as any other golfer I had seen. He said that having the handicap gave him more incentive to get his form right. When I played against him, we were both MA2 players, he may have moved up as well since then.

But that fire-breathing-dragon painted leg is something I will never forget, that was a fun round in an overall bad tournament for me. (my rating would be over or at 900 if it was not for that first round of that tournament)

circle_2
Nov 18 2004, 02:07 PM
I've played many rounds with 2 different gentlemen who have a prosthetic leg. Both drive 400+ with a short x-step walk-up. One is a Pro Master with a 947 rating, the other is an Am - throwing both FH and BH very well!

cbdiscpimp
Nov 18 2004, 02:19 PM
I don't think this, but I can throw a very powerful shot only 10 feet if I wanted to.... chew on that, but remember I am talking about not using the x-step on a midrange throw.

If you are talking about midrange and upshots then i think standing still is the ONLY WAY TO GO but as for drives IMO you NEED to have a run up and some form of an X step.

I know you can throw a POWERFUL shot 10 feet. Everyone can. Its called hittin the first tree in front of you :o

shamoo

Yes he has a prostetic leg but I've never seen him wear it, He uses self modified crutches when he plays golf, he is far from handicapped.
I learned a lot from watching his RHFH drives, it is like hitting a raquetball serve. No run up, just drive and pivot. His BH drive is very similiar to his FH, he rocks back onto his heel and pulls the trigger, very well practiced and smooth, with oustanding distance and accuracy.

esalazar
its all about form!!!

Nov 18 2004, 04:30 PM
Practice proper form, standing still, moving, stand on one leg or kneeling. Practice putting and midrange from every possible standing or kneeling angle.

Whether your disc lands under tree limbs, steep creek or river beds, you won't always have the option to use a run-up. Throwing far standing still is just as important as driving far.

Having a long drive is sweet, but you can't always rely on it. Develop both driving with the x-step and standing still, it can only help your game unless you practice sloppy form. I learned to throw standing still before adding the xstep.

Gotta crawl before you walk.

circle_2
Nov 18 2004, 04:35 PM
Word. (WOW, it does feel cool to say this!! :cool:)

Nov 18 2004, 05:17 PM
I know you can throw a POWERFUL shot 10 feet. Everyone can. Its called hittin the first tree in front of you

HEE HEE, I was thinking worm burner

Nov 19 2004, 12:12 AM
I know you can throw a POWERFUL shot 10 feet. Everyone can. Its called hittin the first tree in front of you

I was thinking MTA :D

DweLLeR
Nov 19 2004, 02:44 AM

I was thinking MTA :D

MTA? :confused:

dm4
Nov 19 2004, 02:09 PM
Maximum Time Aloft

Got to try it at the Friz this year. This was a blast! Basically you throw it up at an angle and catch it cleanly with one hand. Longest time wins!

Nov 20 2004, 09:28 AM
MTA is great, I have a FB4 that I use. It is much harder then it looks. During our State Championships, we had some nasty wind and I ended up throwing alot of Chinese death dives. (Where the disc flips too fast and comes plummeting towards the ground at an insane speed.).

bfunkyp
Nov 20 2004, 10:53 PM
Um, yeah. So I tried the x-step today. No noticable loss of accuracy, even better if anything. Much better distance. I feel like a born again, I have seen the light.

Thanks for all the advice.