Nov 02 2004, 01:32 AM
My mother has been approached by someone who wants to buy a 10 acre track of land that she inherited. She is seriously thinking about seling it, but asked me and my brother if we ever saw ourselves wanting to use it for somthing. It used to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere (farm field) , but the white flight has hit the area hard and along with the trac housing with dumb names like "pheasant springs" land is going fast. Long story short what would be the theasiblity of putting a good LONG 18 holer in 10 acres? Can it be done?

circle_2
Nov 02 2004, 11:29 AM
Are there trees, changes in altitude, creek(s)?

ck34
Nov 02 2004, 11:35 AM
Short answer is 'no.' About 25 acres is needed in most cases to get any length for 18 unless you zigzag back and forth with only tight woods holes but even then I'd say at least 15 acres for that. I've seen it done where Terry Calhoun has 18 different holes but only 9 baskets by designing a completely different routing for the second nine on his home course.

airspuds
Nov 02 2004, 12:45 PM
hold on to the land if you can
wish i had that choice/opportunity

there are several good resources on this site
under course development

i would suggest 12 baskets
play 3 times equals 36 holes played

set up 2 tees and or 2 basket locations
this should give you enough variety to keep the course
interesting
plus you can always play the course backwards also

also john H has a good interview on PDGA radio

DweLLeR
Nov 02 2004, 01:17 PM
Uh, hold on to it till you get the price you want. BUT, use the money to buy 20-50 acres, be selective considering the above thread, and build 24-27 holes on a prime piece of real estate.

If you have a housing development right around the corner, you may not be able to place a course there as it is. I think it has something to do with how the land you have is zoned.

atxdiscgolfer
Nov 02 2004, 01:33 PM
I am about to put in a private 9 hole course with two different layouts which makes for 18 holes sitting on about 18 acres, I have about 37 acres in east texas also but most of it is pasture land and very open. Go to the course directory and check out Lambos on the Hill in Leander TX. That course has nine baskets with a couple of different layouts in the owners front yard, real fun course to play.

Nov 02 2004, 06:39 PM
Short answer is 'no.'

Thanks thats all I needed ;)

but I will further explore my possiblities

Nov 02 2004, 11:55 PM
Short answer is 'no.' About 25 acres is needed in most cases to get any length for 18

But Chuck, the official PDGA Course Development document states:
"A Community Full Service course requires up to one acre per hole. However, a Recreational Standard course can sometimes fit 2-3 holes per acre depending on terrain."

ck34
Nov 03 2004, 12:55 AM
He specifically asked about space needed for a LONG 18 course.

Nov 03 2004, 03:12 PM
Well knowing now that a long course is somewhat out of the question, would it be theseable to have a couse with at least 3 or 4 400+ holes on it? I received an email stating that a 4000ft course in Maine was done using 10 acres, and using the couse directory I found a local course with quite a few 400+ shots with a length of just over 4000 ft.

ck34
Nov 03 2004, 03:17 PM
I posted this on another thread about a month ago. This should help.

http://hometown.aol.com/ck34/images/acreage%20guide%20web.jpg

Nov 03 2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks all for the information, I will try and head out there this weekend and scope things out. This will take far more time and money than I will have for a few years so I doubt anything will come of it soon, but thanks anyhow!

Nov 18 2004, 11:49 PM
I think Calvert in Maryland is on 10 acres or even slightly less. Besides the fact that it is completely flat, it is a great course. I get to throw more long distance BH drives from the blue tees at Calvert than I do at a championship sized course such as Seneca (MD). If you are talking about building a home course that will never be used for full-field tournaments (which means criss-crossing fairways aren't a problem), then I think 10 acres is enough room to build a really fun course. The best idea, if you are really set on having many long holes, would be to build a 9-hole course with alternate tee pads. Have fun if you get the chance!

slo
Nov 19 2004, 12:58 AM
An area 660 feet square is precisely 10 acres, if that helps...

gnduke
Sep 11 2005, 01:30 AM
Hey sandalman, this thread should help.

idahojon
Sep 11 2005, 02:01 AM
Not to induce thread drift, but it's good to see you back, Jim! :)

keithjohnson
Sep 11 2005, 02:27 AM
Not to induce thread drift, but it's good to see you back, Jim! :)

seeing that his post was 10 months ago i wouldn't really call that back :eek:

but see if you can get him to send his results in from june when he posts again in 2006 :p

Sep 11 2005, 07:21 AM
theasable?

Sep 11 2005, 07:28 AM
An area 660 feet square is precisely 10 acres, if that helps...

That weird. 660 acres is a square mile and 660 feet X 660 feet is an acre.

What did the old British mathematicians love so much about 660?

Moderator005
Sep 11 2005, 09:45 AM
I think Calvert in Maryland is on 10 acres or even slightly less. Besides the fact that it is completely flat, it is a great course. I get to throw more long distance BH drives from the blue tees at Calvert than I do at a championship sized course such as Seneca (MD). If you are talking about building a home course that will never be used for full-field tournaments (which means criss-crossing fairways aren't a problem), then I think 10 acres is enough room to build a really fun course. The best idea, if you are really set on having many long holes, would be to build a 9-hole course with alternate tee pads. Have fun if you get the chance!

I think that a long 18-hole course can be put on 10 acres with a satisfactory design, but don't use Calvert as an example. With the advent of disc technology, the course has tried to adapt by adding longer tees. However, while there's no crossing fairways, I cannot think of a single course that has more mandatories and encroachment onto the fairways of other holes, especially from errant shots. I believe that they should never have tried to make it into another Seneca/Pataspsco, and it's one course that should have been left to its 1980s design.

ck34
Sep 11 2005, 11:52 AM
640 acres is a square mile (not 660) and 660x660 square feet is 10 acres (not one acre) and 666 is a devilishly long hole...

sandalman
Sep 11 2005, 05:07 PM
thanks for the refresh gary.

bruce_brakel
Sep 11 2005, 09:25 PM
My mother has been approached by someone who wants to buy a 10 acre track of land that she inherited. She is seriously thinking about seling it, but asked me and my brother if we ever saw ourselves wanting to use it for somthing. It used to be pretty much in the middle of nowhere (farm field) , but the white flight has hit the area hard and along with the trac housing with dumb names like "pheasant springs" land is going fast. Long story short what would be the theasiblity of putting a good LONG 18 holer in 10 acres? Can it be done?

You should ask her to sit on the land for a few more years until it is high demand, then sell it, and buy 40 acres well away from suburbia. Even if you were to build a decent nine holer, the taxes would get hideous in new suburbia.

trbn8r
Sep 11 2005, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your plot. I have the same situation, 10 acres, 1/2 in the woods, half not, with the house and outbuildings taking up space.

The key to this is realizing that since it's YOUR course, you can break a few course design rules. I had a hard time with this, but I'm coming around. First, don't worry about crossing fairways. If you are the primary player (along with a couple other folks at times) then it matters not a whit if a fairway crosses somewhere. It also doesn't matter if you have to back track down a fairway to get to another tee.

My HOME course will have 18 holes, and there will be a good blend of all types of holes, including several bombers. I will use 10 to 12 baskets, with many being thrown at from different locations. I'll set up the flow of play so I could have 2 separate groups on the course playing and they wouldn't interfere with each other.

Dude, land is a great thing to get and they aren't making any more. Generally assume the positive until proven otherwise. Possibilites abound. Short, incomplete sentences. Out.

johnrock
Sep 12 2005, 12:19 AM
Right on!!

I agree. If it's your property, and not many people are on it at any given time, set it up like you describe. The benefits of having your own course in your yard (or close to it) are worth any inconvience.

DeLynn and I just bought a place with two and a third acres. We plan on getting a couple (or maybe several) more baskets so we can have our own private practice range. Driving practice, mid-range practice, even several putter practice holes.

Jroc
Sep 12 2005, 01:45 PM
All right!!!

Party at Rock's place!!!

geomy
Sep 12 2005, 02:50 PM
land is a great thing to get and they aren't making any more.

but they are (http://dubai.property-investment.com/dubai-property-guide/the-world.php)

on the subject....does anyone know of any island courses....tee from one island, throw to another, approach onto small putting island, stuff like that...always dreamed about it (living so close to the water)

ck34
Sep 12 2005, 03:05 PM
I think players felt like they were doing that when playing Jordan #14 at Pro Worlds this year.

Moderator005
Sep 12 2005, 03:10 PM
I think players felt like they were doing that when playing Jordan #14 at Pro Worlds this year.

Good one Chuck. :DYou actually tee from the mainland, throw onto an island, then approach onto the mainland again.

johnrock
Sep 12 2005, 05:54 PM
YEE HAW!!!!

It's on!

Well not yet, we've still got a lot of work to go. But we're getting the yard under control and a new fence for the front & side yard will go up in the next few days. My friend with the tractor should be coming over any day now to get the back field cut.

Kyle Norrid was over Friday evening and already has a plan going for a night round. Glow-Golf should be fun at the new Rock Acres, and I can have as many Shiners as I want without having to drive home.

Sep 16 2005, 06:21 AM
There are 12 inches to the foot, 3 feet to the yard, five yards and one foot six inches to the rod (or pole or perch), 4 rods (or poles or perch) to the chain, 10 chains to the furlong, and 8 furlongs to the statute mile. A furlong is a furrow long, horses in Saratoga still race over furlongs.

Let's start with the acre. Now that is 4,840 square yards, which is equivalent to the area of a rectangle one furlong in length and one chain in breadth. If we remember that the acre was the standard unit of area measurement and that a mediaeval ploughman with a team of eight oxen was required to till one acre a day, the significance of the furlong "furrow long" is easily grasped. A furrow 220 yards long was about the most four yoke of oxen could pull steadily through heavy soil before they had to rest.

So the acre in mediaeval England was a furlong in length. But it was a chain wide, a chain being twenty-two yards. How was that figure chosen? Yes, twenty-two yards it is, but think of it as four rods. The rod was the ox-goad the ploughman used to control his team, and to reach his leading pair it had to be sixteen and a half feet long, five and a half yards. Such a convenient length allowed easy assessment at any time in the day of how much had been ploughed of the width of the acre.

The common land of the English villages was parcelled out as fairly as was possible and to ensure that everyone had his share of good land and bad land no one had his several acres adjoining each other. The dividing markers between acres were very narrow strips of unploughed land which, over the long years, as the land between them was worked and in consequence sank a little, appeared to be raised. When, every third or fourth year, the crop rotation allowed land to lie fallow, any games played on its rich grass would be influenced by those markers. They would be the obvious locations to site the wooden stumps at which a ball might be aimed. And so cricket, England's oldest team game, even today places the wickets one chain, 22 yards, apart.

Now let's look down the acre, the length of the furrow. Where the oxen turned and rested, where one acre butted on the next, small mounds rose from the ground. They were called butts and were utilized, as butts are today, as protection for those who stood behind the archery targets. During the many centuries in which archery was a compulsory recreation in both England and Scotland, the yew longbow in the hands of a yeoman with a strong draw could hurl the grey goose-feathered, ash clothyard about 220 yards, a furlong.

An acre is a furlong in length and a chain in width, which is 660 feet by 66 feet. Once again the magic number 660.

Sep 16 2005, 02:27 PM

I think that a long 18-hole course can be put on 10 acres with a satisfactory design, but don't use Calvert as an example. With the advent of disc technology, the course has tried to adapt by adding longer tees. However, while there's no crossing fairways, I cannot think of a single course that has more mandatories and encroachment onto the fairways of other holes, especially from errant shots. I believe that they should never have tried to make it into another Seneca/Pataspsco, and it's one course that should have been left to its 1980s design.

Geez, that seems kind of harsh :confused:
I understand your complaints regarding Calvert, but to be fair, I don't think they were trying to make another Seneca/Patapsco. I love what they did with the course and like I said, I get to throw more full power BH drives their than I do at any other local course. This thread is regarding a 'home' course, so mandos and shots landing on other fairways aren't really a concern. Besides, some people don't look at mandos as a negative ... some see them as an additional challenge, especially when you have limited acreage to work with.

Moderator005
Sep 16 2005, 06:46 PM
If you want to look at it that way, then yes, as a home course, holes that run close together aren't an issue.

But as far as public courses go, PDGA Disc Golf Course Design Standards (http://www.pdga.com/makecrse.php) clearly indicate that fairways should be far enough apart so errant throws aren't constantly in the wrong fairway - tees and targets should be far enough from the targets and fairways of other holes. And I'm one of those people that consider mandatories as negative. I can tolerate the rare exception at a course where having a mando allows for an exceptional hole or two that wouldn't otherwise be possible without the mandatory. But having a plethora of mandatories at a course is, to me, downright silly.