Oct 20 2004, 11:27 PM
i lost it for the past 3 weeks i havent been able to putt. i cant even make a simple 10 foot putt my mid range suck. ****, that roc!i im not even driving as far as i use to.. what can i do?can u guys help me

jasonc
Oct 20 2004, 11:37 PM
When you figure it out please let me know...........I've been in a slump for 9+++++months, lost D on my drive, upshots.....well usually 2, same for the putts.....no matter what distance.

Oh, I guess that wsn't much help :( :D

vwkeepontruckin
Oct 21 2004, 12:17 AM
i lost it for the past 3 weeks i havent been able to putt. i cant even make a simple 10 foot putt my mid range suck. ****, that roc!i im not even driving as far as i use to.. what can i do?can u guys help me

Putt with a Wizard! /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif :cool::) ;) :p :D

Oct 21 2004, 12:40 AM
I dare say a lot of players go through these kinds of issues at this time of year. You've played a lot, so your arm is tired, most of the tournaments are over, so you're not really working towards something, plus the weather is changing...and that affects your game as well.

I'm going through the same kinds of issues as well, so I've started working on some new things...I'm trying to teach myself a forehand shot, I'm working on a roller, I taught myself to turbo putt (just for giggles, but in a recent round...I didn't miss a single shot inside 40 feet...so I may have found something there). Make the game exciting in some way, I'm sure that will help you break out of your slump :)

Maybe change your discs up so you have to learn new ways to throw at the holes on your home course?? That's another thing that helped me a bit...on my main course, I always use a lot of understable discs (lots of right turn holes), so one round...I play with nothing but overstable discs...just so I could try different angles / throws out. It was a bad round, but quite refreshing :)

Don't know if those ideas help,. but they helped me.

Blarg
Oct 21 2004, 02:22 AM
I don't know if this applies to the more experienced players, but my game deteriorates nearly every time I learn something new. As an example, once I learned to get some 'snap,' my drives started going further, but I lost ALL my accuracy. Sucked for a week or so, then gradually got some control back.
Learning curves are logarythmic. When you hit an up slope, things can change rapidly. You may be improving as a player
while your scores get worse for a bit.
At least that's my excuse! :p :D

slo
Oct 21 2004, 02:27 AM
My I borrow it? Sounds much preferable to 'aging'. :D

morgan
Oct 21 2004, 06:31 AM
Tonyv, losing your ability to putt is the first sign of multiple sclerosis, or MS. Better get an MRI and see a neurologist

eddie_ogburn
Oct 21 2004, 09:29 AM
Tony this happens to eveyone once in a while. When it happens to me, it usually means I've been playing way too much lately. What works for me is I take a week off. Obviously you've unconciously picked up some bad habits in your form, both putting and driving. You don't want to continue to play and practice those habits. Take 4 or 5 days off then go back out. You'll figure out what you were doing wrong and go back to being your old self again! Hope this helps.

E.OG

Oct 21 2004, 11:23 AM
Could not have said it better myself. Everyone goes through slumps. Just hang in there. Been through some bad ones myself where I just about sold my entire DG bag but after 10 minutes I am ready to play again. Hhehehehe those are some good times.

discgolfreview
Oct 21 2004, 11:43 AM
think back to what you used to focus on when you were developing your current form. a lot of the time people have good focal points and then once they become more natural feeling they let these focal points go. if the motions aren't fully covered by muscle memory, then often the good form fades away and the same mistakes begin to happen as they did before. with putting the most common slip up is that once people hit a slump they tend to start slow-mo'ing their motion. the result are putts that generally miss low/nose down or airball about 6-12" to the right of the chains. just go back to the fundamentals. give yourself 3-4 point checklists to work through at the start of your routine and make sure you are executing the key points of the throw.

circle_2
Oct 21 2004, 11:57 AM
These slumps happen at various times...IN/DURING a tournament sux. My formula is to consciously slow my footwork down thus throwing more controlled. Reach back slowly, prime the pump by just barely beginning to bring it all forward...then...UNLEASH!!
Works 'most' of the time. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

bigchiz
Oct 21 2004, 08:38 PM
Smile before you putt.

vwkeepontruckin
Oct 21 2004, 09:27 PM
Smile before you putt.

I like smiling while I putt...maybe even wink. It can't hurt.

Oct 21 2004, 11:35 PM
just do not frown while putting, it uses up too many muscles, and messes up technique :)

Oct 22 2004, 02:06 AM
more than often, with myself especially, the footwork is what is being schlobed out the window. slow down, really just focus on whats suppose to happen, and what is actually going on when you throw and 'mess up'.

**** skippy

vwkeepontruckin
Oct 22 2004, 03:56 AM
just do not frown while putting, it uses up too many muscles, and messes up technique :)

Also frowning makes my discs cry, which seriously screws up my grip.

Oct 22 2004, 07:42 PM
The simplest way to cure the pains of a disc golf slump are to follow the following simple steps...

1. Draw circle on wall at about eye level.
2. Bang head on wall until blood appears in circle.
3. Wipe wall clean with a wet cloth.
4. Repeat as necessary or until the loss of consciousness.

It may not cure your putting problem, but you won't care about it anymore either. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oct 23 2004, 01:35 PM
Seams I joined the slump crew last night. My worst night golf game ever. Could not keep from worm burning. I hope this one does not last as long as the last one I was in about 6 months ago.

esalazar
Oct 25 2004, 02:11 PM
develop consistant routines on all your shots.when its not there, back up, figure what your doing wrong correct, next hole..

dm4
Oct 25 2004, 02:27 PM
Practice!

Oct 25 2004, 02:33 PM
Practice!

Why do you have to be all logical and stuff?

jdebois
Nov 11 2004, 04:13 PM
I have also lost it, but this is in reference to driving.

I have been trying to make the switch from "powering" my drives to focusing on proper form. This morning I think I finally made progress. I went to the field with 10 new Orcs and I was throwing them about 50 feet longer than usual. There wasn't any wind at all but here's the thing, I was flipping the Orcs over which is something I've never done before. I would start them with hyzer and about 1/3 of the way they would flatten then fade right.

Well I was so excited I ran out at lunch to try and do it again but I wasn't able to do it once!!! I'm gonna put in a lot of practice this weekend to try and get it back. I'm gonna go insane if I can't get it back b/c I have been trying for months to fix my form.

But I am not sure if I should be trying to get it back. Is that a good spot to be if I am changing form or does that mean that I have gone in a wrong direction?

I feel clueless!!!

circle_2
Nov 11 2004, 04:20 PM
'2 steps forward' has the painful prerequisite of 1 step back...grasshopper!

Boneman
Nov 11 2004, 05:16 PM
I did the same thing about a week ago learning to throw the Flash. Thought I had it ... went out to the course and couldn't throw worth a dime.

Nov 11 2004, 05:19 PM
'2 steps forward' has the painful prerequisite of 1 step back...grasshopper!

I recently took an unwanted step back too. I'm hoping that it will lead to two steps forward but I'm not sure what I exactly did to change my throw. I guess I normally find the learning process of a hobby to be the most fun so taking steps back, or falling in a slump, isn't that big of a negative to me anyway.

spartan
Nov 11 2004, 05:24 PM
Practice!

off the course. avoid the course all together and put in some hours in the field. you would be amazed at how many more shots you get to practice when you are working off the course.

and of course, putt, putt, putt, putt.

has anyone read the interview with justin jerrnigan? he says he practices putting for an hour in his backyard EVERY DAY!! what a surprise? player puts in the hours and hours of work and it pays off. cant say i practice for an hour every day.

Boneman
Nov 11 2004, 06:41 PM
Yeah ... what he said!
I throw several hundred putts a day, I have an Innova Discatcher set up next to my house and throw a couple of times a day (six discs per model). It's made a huge difference in my game (and putting confidence). I also practice in the park and on a soccer field next to the course.
Occasionally, I go to the course to play and end up spending the whole time on the soccer field practicing my drives. It's made a huge difference in my game, and it's pretty fun too. Especially when you start hucking them out there really far. I have 6 of each [favorite] disc in my bag, and I throw only one kind of disc at a time when practicing. (Scott Stokely's book suggests getting ten of each disc � but I can only hold six in my hand when putting � so I have stuck to 6 for all discs while practicing.)

Nov 11 2004, 07:13 PM
Take some time off. This game is acutally about relaxation and fun....."really, is that why I get mad when I gak a putt?". But you may be trying too hard. Leave the bag in your trunk for a week, don't think about it. And afterwards, grab some friends, don't forget to stretch, and play two rounds without keeping score. The first round may feel ackward but your muscle memory will take over.

Every time I take a few days off I tend to throw better and smarter. Plus my arm does not get tired. I learned this the hard way by pulling a muscle in my shoulder. That was a long week.

Nov 15 2004, 06:41 PM
I have found that I putt best when I do not see the disc or my hand -- all my focus in on the chains, and the rest is automatic. When I start thinking about what I am doing, my putting suffers. It is much more mental than physical in that respect.

Nov 17 2004, 09:55 AM
I have found that I putt best when I do not see the disc or my hand -- all my focus in on the chains, and the rest is automatic. When I start thinking about what I am doing, my putting suffers. It is much more mental than physical in that respect.

That was the best putting advice I've ever recieved, I think Bobcat told me that after watching me get all indignant and (whoops!) kick my bag around the back 9... "Focus on one chain, even one link on the chain, not the disc" Today my putting has gotten 11X better. I can step up and hit those pesky 5 footers LOL :eek: Seriously, I putt much better when I focus on my target, not my handicap! BTW my handicap is the fact that I own golf discs :p