Oct 15 2004, 07:10 PM
I hit chains from the tee-pad for the 1st time today. It was at hole 1 at Lenora Park (GA) It's 277 ft. downhill. There was a headwind of approximately 15 mph, so I pulled out my brand new 171g Valkyre which is pretty overstable for me, and ripped it with a low hyzer angle directly at the basket. And just as I had hoped it flew out to the left before flipping over which then carried it about 15 ft to the right of the basket it then started to fade and came back and Hit the chains DEAD center! But it bounced out and took a big chunk of my disc :( It was pretty fun, I hope to get my 1st ace soon.

Oct 16 2004, 02:10 AM
Congrats! Now, that's not an ace, but that's darn close! You'll get it soon.

Oct 16 2004, 02:32 PM
"Close only counts for horseshoes and hand grenades." :(

Oct 16 2004, 03:50 PM
"Close only counts for horseshoes and hand grenades." :(

You forgot Global Thermonuclear Warfare. But besides... if you hit the chains dead on, that's all you can do if you want an ace. Its not like you aimed slightly off... you nailed the chains... it just didn't fall. Basically you got robbed on a 277 foot shot... sort of a dubious honor. Congrats to tickling the chains and good luck on getting one to stick.

Oct 16 2004, 04:27 PM
Congrats, I still haven't came close...
You also left out pooh fights..."Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, Global Thermonuclear Warfare, and pooh fights"

Oct 17 2004, 12:02 AM
ah, good to know, but ya, I haven't hit the chains yet from the tee so not like I'm mocking you : )

Oct 17 2004, 02:11 AM
Close does have one benefit... Easy Birdie :) Anyway while I have a new thread I've got a question for you. I bought a 174g Champion Leopard not too long ago. I had experience with a dx version a while back and remember that it was pretty understable, and once it was flipped there was no chance of it coming back. Now here's the thing. This disc is very overstable for me, infact it doesn't even turn at all. I don't have a huge arm, I throw between 260-300 ft. but the thing is this disc is the more overstable than anything I have except for maybe my champion Orc. This disc is more overstable than my beast, valkyries and TL's which I like to throw hyzer flips with. If i throw that Leopard with hyzer it will just hold the line all the way till it fades, and even thrown with anhyzer it will start to fade left almost imediately. Anyone seen a Leopard like this before?

greenbeard
Oct 17 2004, 04:20 AM
my first day out I hit chains on a sidearm two finger that bounced out... and it took me two years to actually sink one

Oct 18 2004, 09:52 AM
Congrats, I still haven't came close...
You also left out pooh fights..."Close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades, Global Thermonuclear Warfare, and pooh fights"

Close counts in bocce ball, too.

Oct 18 2004, 10:09 AM
I started playing right after 2000 worlds and just hit my first ace 5 days ago.

dm4
Oct 18 2004, 04:20 PM
Close does have one benefit... Easy Birdie :) Anyway while I have a new thread I've got a question for you. I bought a 174g Champion Leopard not too long ago. I had experience with a dx version a while back and remember that it was pretty understable, and once it was flipped there was no chance of it coming back. Now here's the thing. This disc is very overstable for me, infact it doesn't even turn at all. I don't have a huge arm, I throw between 260-300 ft. but the thing is this disc is the more overstable than anything I have except for maybe my champion Orc. This disc is more overstable than my beast, valkyries and TL's which I like to throw hyzer flips with. If i throw that Leopard with hyzer it will just hold the line all the way till it fades, and even thrown with anhyzer it will start to fade left almost imediately. Anyone seen a Leopard like this before?

Nope, never thrown a champion leopard. I carry a ce leopard and it is a very straight flyer. Good fairway disc for 300'-350'. It is the only plastic I have ever thrown in that mold! Would like to try a champion, but not after I heard your explaination!

Oct 18 2004, 06:41 PM
Close does have one benefit... Easy Birdie :)

Well not always. I hit the top of the basket one time (part where the chains hang from---yeah yeah yeah not as close as dead center chains but close nonetheless) and the disc careened off into the shule about 25ft away. I think I made my putt but it certainly wasn't the easiest one I've ever made. That's the bad thing about close aces--unless you hit something that causes it to land nearby, the disc is still high enough to put you 30+ feet past the hole for a relatively difficult comeback putt.

Oct 18 2004, 09:11 PM
Took me six years to get my first ace....but hey, it will come when you least expect it. And close DOES count. Look at last years Pro Worlds in Flagstaff - Elaine Kings "almost ace" was the most talked about shot of the tournament. :D