Greg_R
Oct 11 2004, 01:59 PM
I used to be able to throw hyzer drives (and approaches). Over the past year, my snap has gotten much better and I can flip over or S-curve everything in my bag except my Monster (which is fine). My discs fly ~10ft. off the ground unless I intentionally throw them high. I can throw a long gliding anhyzer shot but can't throw a long gliding hyzer shot (RHBH). When I try and put some hyzer angle on the disc (outer edge down) I either:

a) snap the disc flat
b) have the disc rip out early (and usually fly into the tree that I'm trying to hyzer around!)
c) overcompensate and grip lock roller it over to the far right.

I am using the same footwork for each shot and am just changing my release angle. The only way I can hyzer the disc is to throw it flat but up in the air (and let it stall left). I want to be able to throw it at an angle and _glide_ left rather than _fall_ left. Any potential areas that I'm screwing up? I've tried the hyzer shot with everything in my bag (Valk, Orc, Teebird, Eagle, X2, etc.) and they all react in a similar manner so it's a technique issue.

One thing I've tried is to lean slightly inward (just like I lean slightly backward for rollers or anhyzer shots). This results in an early release every time.

Help!

dave_marchant
Oct 11 2004, 02:05 PM
One thing you might want to try is to lower your reach-back. Get closer to the motion of starting a lawnmower rather than a flat pull through. Also, in the portion of the pull across your chest get a little more distance between the disc and your chest. I suppose, I am effectively suggesting to throw more like a newbie who can't help but hyzer. :)

circle_2
Oct 11 2004, 02:14 PM
I've encountered the same problem. I have to concentrate (more) on my follow-through in an upwards arc...while bending at the waist with a lower reachback. When it clicks, I get a power-hyzer flight path...

Oct 11 2004, 02:30 PM
I find success by thinking of releasing the disc higher than it is when I reach back... go from low to high. Also, you could try a discraft Xtreme or a gateway Speed Demon... good luck turning either of those over.

Oct 11 2004, 02:32 PM
I find sweeping hyzers are easier to throw with the nose up a little bit. Try throwing a hyzer flip, but with the nose a little higher than normal and see how it works. It's just a matter of getting the right combination of hyzer and nose angle.

Greg_R
Oct 11 2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll go try them out...

Also, you could try a discraft Xtreme or a gateway Speed Demon

I use a Monster for that purpose. The issue is that it doesn't fly as far (or do as well for high flight paths) as my other discs.

Luke Butch
Oct 11 2004, 08:01 PM
try throwing a less stable disc slightly nose- up on a hyzer angle. the disc should get flat and glide

Kenja
Oct 12 2004, 01:41 PM
Read this article by Blake T for everything you ever wanted to know about hyzers: Understanding Nose Angles and Trajectory (http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/articles/angles.shtml) /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

discgolfreview
Oct 13 2004, 05:52 AM
When I try and put some hyzer angle on the disc (outer edge down) I either:

a) snap the disc flat
b) have the disc rip out early (and usually fly into the tree that I'm trying to hyzer around!)
c) overcompensate and grip lock roller it over to the far right.

as for a and c:
from the sound of it you aren't bringing your forearm through on the hyzer plane. the extension of the elbow should occur on the same plane as the disc angle. in order to generate great power on a hyzer shot you will generally have to bend a little at the waist (i think this is easier to feel if you think about it as dropping your leading (usually right) shoulder a little lower than your left during the reach back). for a torque free release, the follow through should continue upwards on the same plane.

as for b:
hyzer shots (especially long ones and hyzer flips) generally require the left shoulder to stay back a bit. that is to say, the movement of the left shoulder should not move exactly opposite of the right shoulder. when i'm really booming hyzers, the right side of my chest opens and i feel the acceleration into the hit before my left shoulder really begins to follow. a common cause of hyzers being released early is the left shoulder coming through early and pushing the disc out early. this is one possibility.

the other possibility is that your weight is too far forward too early. a hyzer shot will be similar in stroke to a slight uppercut baseball swing. if your weight is too far forward before the extension you will likely down-cut and wormburn burn it or throw it lower than you wanted to and usually early as your upper body will be moving out of rhythm with the explosion of the hips.

I am using the same footwork for each shot and am just changing my release angle.

from the sound of it, i am guessing you are using a closed stance throwing motion on almost all of your throws (pivot foot is more forward than your cross step in terms of toe/heel). while this is conducive to a hyzer flip shot and some straight-hyzers, it will not be ideal for a lot of shots. knife hyzers and big sweeping hyzers, and pulled straight hyzers will generally require an open stance approach (pivot foot behind your cross step in terms of heel/toe). this also translates into a baseball swing comparison. if you are trying to pull the ball, you will want an open stance. since a hyzer that is "pulled" is nose up, this is how you can generate the most power on knives/sweeps. if you are trying to go opposite field, you will want a closed stance. since a hyzer that is "pushed" is nose down, this is how you will probably want to throw hyzer flips, roll curves, and flattened hyzers.

Over the past year, my snap has gotten much better and I can flip over or S-curve everything in my bag except my Monster (which is fine).

one thing to keep in mind and this may not be an issue for you, but it is something others may benefit from is that it is as much of a skill to not turn a disc over as it is to turn a disc over. the longest flying hyzers (that never turn over or stabilize) happen with flippy plastic. the stronger a disc's fade characteristic, the more it will want to fall out of the air. stingrays go a long ways on a pure hyzer line if you have the finesse to throw em that way.

hope this could help answer some of your questions.