Sep 20 2004, 07:27 PM
I have recently been playing around with the thumber and the tomahawk, i can get the thumber to work but it doesnt go very far, and im just wondering if it is not enough wrist snap. And as for tomahawk, i cant get the disc to do anything, when i release it just keeps going at the angle i release, but even when i try to tomahawk with an epic it doesnt do any thing, any suggestions of what im doin wrong?

tokyo
Sep 20 2004, 08:42 PM
It is your snap just keep practicing and you will get better just like everything else in disc golf except my putting.

Sep 20 2004, 09:28 PM
Yeah I had the same problems with each one of those throws. I think the thumber is falling short simply because the grip is a bit trickier. It takes more effort to get a tight hold on the disc and therefore your distance suffers. As for the tomahawk, I bet your disc just flies vertical like 80% of the way, pancakes (ie flips over to the flight plate...the side with the stamp) and lands. It doesn't precess all the way over and land on its edge. I had that problem for a while then Blake T (the best damned instructor out there...no really.) suggested that I release the disc with the upper edge bent towards my head. In other words, at release the edge of the disc opposite your hand should be pointing towards your head thereby giving the disc a "head-start" in its rotation (the disk will look like this in your hand: \ ). I made that adjustment and haven't had a problem with it since.

Sep 20 2004, 09:32 PM
Yeah you were right about it going vertical for 80% of the time, but most times it will stay vertical for the whole flight then start to roll, ill try the \ ) then get back to you thanks

Sep 21 2004, 10:11 AM
throw it harder.

krupicka
Sep 21 2004, 10:36 AM
Which way are you holding the disc for the tomahawk? Is your thumb on the top or the bottom of the disc?

If your thumb is on the bottom, then you want to have the disc at about 1:00. If your thumb is on top, then the disc should be at about 11:00.

The orientation will give you opposite helixes. I typically choose which way I hold the disc depending on my intended path. If I want it to cut right at the end, then my thumb is on the bottom. If I want it to cut left, I hold the disc like I do for a side arm (for me, split finger).

As always, all directions are assuming a right handed thrower.

vwkeepontruckin
Sep 21 2004, 11:24 AM
What are you throwing for Tommies? I can throw them about 315'+ and I've found that overstable drivers (Spirits and Banshees work best) don't do their turn thing till the end, letting them go far. Also, I tend to release the disc with my arm fully extended like at the "1:00" position.

krupicka
Sep 21 2004, 02:02 PM
After reading my post over, I wanted to clarify that I was talking about the angle of the disc in relation to my shoulders (roughly the hyser/anhyser angle). Thus the disc needs to be right or left of perpendicular depending on which way you are holding the disc.

DiscinDeadHead was referring to where he was releasing it in relation to the arm motion. I probably release it somewhere between 12:00 and 1:00 as well. (I'd have to go grab a disc to be able to tell exactly).

I throw Tbirds or Valks as those are the drivers I keep in my bag.

Sep 21 2004, 10:56 PM
I am throwing a teebird for my tomahawks, and have been experimenting with the epic,

sleepy
Sep 21 2004, 11:27 PM
I throw beat up banchees for shorter shots newer firebirds banchees for 300-340 shots. A must have shot in the bag. Throw like a baseball and snap the wrist over a hair like a curve ball but not as extreme. This is for the tomahawk throw.

bschweberger
Sep 21 2004, 11:43 PM
For sheer distance with predictability the Champion Firebird is the best disc I have ever used. Goes 350 - 400.

lockhartkent
Dec 28 2010, 11:58 AM
I am wondering if there are any tricks to making these shots go further, what disc do you use, ect..... What do you do that I may not be, any help would really cool, thanks Kent

Karl
Dec 28 2010, 01:52 PM
Kent,

In general, the more over stable a disc, the longer it will go (thrown overhand). But their "turn" will take more lateral room (i.e. a slower, longer pan-out to the side type of turn). An under stable disc will turn in a tighter area (come back on line sooner) and will fly shorter (with the same effort).

A very wide rimmed disc that is very under stable will complete a 3/4-turn and actually glide (like a regularly thrown disc). The best example of such is the Epic.

Karl

JerryChesterson
Dec 28 2010, 02:20 PM
Also the more straight up and down the disc is when you release it, the further it will go. People have a tendancy with the thumber to release it at about a 45 degree angle. It you release it at a 0 degree angle the disc has to travel that extra 45 degrees before finishing its flight and tumbling to the ground.

JerryChesterson
Dec 28 2010, 02:45 PM
Also discs that work best for thumbers ....
Discraft Xtreme
Innova Firebird
Discraft Flick
Innova Monster

Anyone I know who throws a thumber worth a darn uses one of those 4 discs as their primary thumber long range discs.

It should be noted that I play at one of the most thumber friendly courses in the world, the trees are short and the rough is severe which lends itself to lots of thumbers.

veganray
Dec 28 2010, 02:51 PM
Innova Whippet = Schweberger's thumber disc of choice, if I am not mistaken (mine, too)

seewhere
Dec 28 2010, 04:05 PM
think schwebby throws firebird

lockhartkent
Dec 28 2010, 06:05 PM
Nice I am going to try some of these I am pretty sure I have been angling the disc I have been using an Orc for thumbers and flx surge for Tommy, I will try some others thanks guys, always looking for tips.