Jul 29 2004, 06:34 AM
I'm thinking about getting a 150 class driver. Is it better to get the high grade plastics for durability? Are there special techniques for throwing drivers that are so light? Do the discs lose stability when they are that light? I'm looking at a champion Valkrye, but if dx is better then I'll do that cuz I'm cheap.
Thanks ahead of time.

davei
Jul 29 2004, 08:36 AM
Depending on your throwing style and speed, you might want a more stable driver to start, like an Eagle or Teebird. It is very hard to find any long range driver in 50 class candy. They usually go down into the 150s, but 150 class is 150 and below. 150 class usually starts out a little less stable and is much more subject to off axis torque (flutter). So, unless you have a very clean and quick snap, you will tend to turn 150 over. 150 candy is available in Eagles, Tees, and Banshees at times. The Japan Open is 150 class. DX will wear much more quickly than candy.

Jul 29 2004, 09:25 AM
involuntary pruner, a few years back my game had leveled off and I really wanted to add more distance to my drives and I was also recovering from a elbow injury. I decided to try only throwing 150 class valks for all of my drives for a while till I could throw them properly. I threw 150 or less dx valks and had quite a time learning how to not turn them over. I bought 5 of them knowing that they beat up fast. Over time (about 6 months) I got the hang of it, and when I could throw them consistently with out turning them over I went back to my CE valks (always 166 grams or less). I found that I had now gained more control of my drives and when I went for distance I really did not have to throw hard I just had to throw it correctly. To make a long story short I had added about 50 to 60 feet to my drives and my game improved all around IMO. I have been playing off and on for over 20 years and learning to throw the 150 or less stuff has made the biggest improvement in my game so far outside of the ever changing plastic.

veganray
Jul 29 2004, 10:03 AM
I use 150-class drivers for anything that is farther than I can throw my Gremlin. I like Champion plastic (a little more stable & a lot more durable). I use a Viking for max D, a Teebird for tunnels & hyzers, and a Leopard for annies. I also keep a 150g Eagle & 150g Banshee in the bag. I feel that my control is many times better with these light discs, and throwing them keeps my technique tight.

Personally, I find the 150g Valkyrie too unpredictable, but that is the most easy-to-find 150g Champion driver.

BTW - Dave, when can we see 150g Orcs?

Sharky
Jul 29 2004, 10:18 AM
I don't have any in my bag now, but it is a constant temptation. As others have said it is easier to throw the light plastic and easy on the arm too. When things are going good and you are throwing well you will be happy. When your technique is bad and you are not throwing well it will be extra ugly. I have settled on 166 gram drivers in the premium plastic. When it is not clicking one starts to think that mixing plastic from 147 to 173 is not such a good idea :(
Anyway, try it what the heck, and for some reason I refer to it as "going to the dark side" - have fun!

discndav
Jul 29 2004, 10:39 AM
After loosing arm strength due to elbow tendonitis and a rotator cuff problem, I started throwing 150 candy Valk's and they work GREAT. Candy discs that light are very soft in the middle and can be turned over easily but I release with lots of hyzer anyway so they are good for my game.

Jul 29 2004, 10:44 AM
Having a weaker arm (300' is a real crush for me), I throw almost exclusively light drivers, under 160. I use a CE Leopard (154) as a primary straight driver. A first run JK-Valk (150) is a great S-curve driver and my longest-flying disc, as it is more understable at high speeds, but will come back. I use a DX Leopard (150) for gentle right-turning shots. A DX eagle in 150 class, which is easier to find, also flies surprisingly straight. A 160 Champion beast is my primary overstable driver, and some runs of Champion leopards are more stable than others. For me, the light stuff flies noticably farther, and having less snap than most, I don't find it any harder to control.

There are a variety of discs made in lightweight candy plastic, you just have to look harder for them. My wife throws a 150 Champion Cobra and a 140 Champion Stingray; the latter is the flippiest disc I've ever seen, which is helpful for a novice woman.

discette
Jul 29 2004, 11:04 AM
Jay,

A 150 Champion Valkyrie will be more stable than the DX version. I use my 150 DX Valk for long turnover shots.
A wonderful secret is the 150 Class Dragon! ;) It is stable and has great glide. It is the farthest flying disc in my bag right now, and it floats in water too!!! :cool: (Note: My Avitar!)

150 DX Banshees or Firebirds are wonderful discs and would be more stable than the 150 Champion Valkyrie.

BTW, I throw weights from 150 to 175. My drivers range from 150 to 171. My Rocs and putters are 173-175. I usually throw 150 plastic on uphill drives. I do not adjust my throwing technique based on the weight of the disc, but I basically learned to throw using 150 plastic.

anita
Jul 29 2004, 11:05 AM
To make a long story short I had added about 50 to 60 feet to my drives and my game improved all around IMO. I have been playing off and on for over 20 years and learning to throw the 150 or less stuff has made the biggest improvement in my game so far outside of the ever changing plastic.

PRAISE BE!! I have been preaching this for years! If you can learn to throw 150 class discs, it will improve your overall technique and you will throw ANY disc better.

Almost all of my drivers are 150 class. It is true that a good premium 150 disc is hard to find. You can get Polaris LS and LF in 150 class more consistently than any other mold in non-DX type plastic. Candy Valks come in 150, but are harder to find. Most of my other drivers are not strictly 150 class, but are discs in the 150 weight range. It must be difficult to get the candy plastic down to 150 standards. I have several Champion Edition Eagles that hover around 160g. That's about as low as they go. I have a CE Leopard in the mid 150's and a QJLS at 155g.

My main driver is a 150 class DX Eagle. They do get beat up, but new they helix great! They get flippy after too many chance encounters with trees and the like. They are, however, easy to come by and inexpensive. A 150 DX Valk is a helluva tail wind distance driver! I parked a hole on my home course with one. I have never parked it with any other disc in my bag.

150 plastic can fly just like their heavier brothers when thrown correctly. The trick is learning to release them flat and clean. If you don't they can flip all over the place because you just overpower them.

Good luck!

Jul 29 2004, 11:17 AM
after those chance encounters, you get a nice 150 roller

Jul 29 2004, 11:44 AM
Just wanted to add that there are plenty of 150g Champion plastic drivers out there. I have 150g Eagle, Orc, and Valk. Champ. plastic. All from In Flight in East Lansing, MI.

Myself, I find them to have almost the same stability as heavier discs in the same plastic, but it is easier to over power them and durf it to the right and short. Still so much easier on the arm for me. I'm still learning to drive consistantly and I believe that these are much easier to get good snap on. Doesn't feel like it is ripping out of my hand like a 175 valk. does.

Jul 29 2004, 05:31 PM
well said i love the lower wieghts.150 class rocks :D

Jul 29 2004, 08:22 PM
One thing about the 150 champion drivers is that they tend to be super gummy. Kinda like those translucent bass lures. They are almost too gummy to throw consistantly and most people don't like them. However, some people like it. I hate it.

150 DX plastic is usually more durrable than heavier DX in my experience. I don't know how the new DX is in 150c but the older DX was much more durrable because it didn't have the soft weighting agent in it.

Jul 29 2004, 10:34 PM
They are almost too gummy to throw consistantly and most people don't like them.

Or perhaps most people don't like them because they lack the technique to throw them consistently. :D

Jul 29 2004, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen any 150 class champs yet (don't really go lookin for them either) but I did have a 160 CE shark and it was gummy and flexible as hell. I can only imagine what a <150g disc would feel like. I'd rather go for the harder DX stuff. Bad thing is you beat em up just a little and you make the understability more of a factor than it already was.

Jul 30 2004, 01:10 AM
Bad thing is you beat em up just a little and you make the understability more of a factor than it already was.

I can't believe you guys think DX plastic is understable!! Do you guys know what kind of disc have set and broken almost all the distance records? Do you guys know what kind of plastic makes up the majority of almost every pro' bag? It's DX type plastic!! Now pros don't throw only understable discs. They need extra stability to handle their speed and snap. AND THEY USE MOSTLY DX PLASTIC!!! They don't throw bad plastic!!

Jul 30 2004, 01:22 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I'm gonna go with DX plastic both because I like it and its cheap. I'm also gonna get a 150 Dragon in addition to the Valk. because it floats on water, and I need one of those. I'll let ya'all know how I'm doing with the light weights, it seems like I'll learn a lot about my technique.
Thanks again for the comments.

Jul 30 2004, 10:06 AM
Bad thing is you beat em up just a little and you make the understability more of a factor than it already was.

I can't believe you guys think DX plastic is understable!! Do you guys know what kind of disc have set and broken almost all the distance records? Do you guys know what kind of plastic makes up the majority of almost every pro' bag? It's DX type plastic!! Now pros don't throw only understable discs. They need extra stability to handle their speed and snap. AND THEY USE MOSTLY DX PLASTIC!!! They don't throw bad plastic!!

I think he meant that beat up DX plastic will add another degree of understability to a disc that's already more understable because of the light weight. DX plastic is understable compared to Champion plastic, with only a small handfull of exceptions. No one said that all discs in DX plastic are understable and no one said that DX plastic is bad.

riverdog
Jul 30 2004, 10:30 AM
Everyone has their own pet discs, of course, but I keep trying every flavor of the month and end up gravitating back to the same two discs as my primary, go to drivers - mid-150's Champ T-birds and mid-150's CE Leopards. Most of the courses I play have gracious portions of wood in them and the added accuracy with these two discs more than makes up for the very slight loss of distance.

Jul 30 2004, 02:45 PM

I think he meant that beat up DX plastic will add another degree of understability to a disc that's already more understable because of the light weight. DX plastic is understable compared to Champion plastic, with only a small handfull of exceptions. No one said that all discs in DX plastic are understable and no one said that DX plastic is bad.

You took the words right out of my mouth :eek:!! Thanks!

BTW--I love DX plastic. One of my favorite discs is a DX Teebird. Its laser straight and pinpoint accurate. Can't do it with my Champ TB.

greenbeard
Jul 30 2004, 07:30 PM
I use a 150 gazelle that's all beat to hell... I use it for out-of-the-woods tomahawks, and other get out of jail throws. It's ugly as sin, but I'd never get rid of it... it's the best ground skipper I have.

Blarg
Jul 30 2004, 07:55 PM
Most of my drivers are under 160g. 150g Valkyries for straight
shots, hyper-drives (throwing into a crosswind or headwind with a hyzer angle that flips suddenly to level flight) and long
beautiful helixes in low wind when my technique is right on.
Candy is more stable in general than dx, although I've noticed that the newer dx plastic discs consistently have wider rims than the candy. I don't know why, but I suspect the candy plastic contracts a bit when it comes out of the mold. This makes them a bit more overstable. [e.g. my candy 150g red Valkyrie will turn over more easily than my 150g dx valkyrie and the rim on the dx is several millimeters wider. Shouldn't be, but it's a fact].
The lightweight candy discs are gummier and more flexible than the dx's. I call 'em 'jelly plastic.' Some guys at O.G. call 'em 'taffy,' but they look more like jelly or gummy bears.
I've only been playing about 11 months, but I recommend 150g disc to ANYONE that wants to learn disc control. Far easier to find out firsthand what it takes to turn a disc over or throw helixes. I've been touting them in here to anyone without a monster arm, as they will go farther in the right conditions than any other discs I've thrown.
I've had very little difficulty finding 150g candy discs. La Mirada has nearly every Innova disc made in weights of 150g and even lower! Unfortunately, some of the other companies don't even make 150g discs. I've even got a 158g candy Orc, but it's still a bit overstable for me.
Ted at O.G. also has a wide selection of Innova discs in all weights.
Once you start to turn these discs over with a flat release, all you need to do is start releasing them with more hyzer and you may add (as I have) 50-100 feet more distance.

Aug 03 2004, 02:15 AM
I just ordered a 150 class DX Valkrye! It should be here by friday, so I'll let ya'all know how it goes this weekend.
God, I love getting new plastic!

I'm spastic for plastic!

Blarg
Aug 03 2004, 05:16 AM
Me too. Playing less than a year and I must have about 65 discs.
Wish I could throw them properly!
:confused: :D

Archemike
Aug 03 2004, 01:32 PM
My first disc was as 150 class cobra
one of my favorite discs.

I would get some more 150 if I had the chance. ;)

Aug 03 2004, 02:32 PM
150 class dx Eagles are my main distance driver. I am soooo happy I went back to them. I tend to only use them for distance shots, so they aren't beating in too quickly. Besides, they are cheap and easy to come by. I actually get them at the local Galyans. IMO - 150c drivers are the only way to go for uphill drives.

Aug 05 2004, 01:49 AM
That's a cool ***** avatar Danny. Can't you see captain america playing disc golf? The way he throws that shield around, I bet he'd crush a little plastic disc. :D

Aug 05 2004, 03:45 PM
Most definitely! Here is a description of his shield straight from Marvel (Innova should have stolen this for their CE line):

"The shield has great aerodynamic properties: it is able to slice through the air with minimal wind resistance and deflection of path. Its great overall resilience, combined with its natural concentric stiffness, enables it to rebound from objects with minimal loss of angular momentum. It is virtually indestructible: it is resistant to penetration, temperature extremes, and the entire electromagnetic spectrum of radiation. The only way it can be damaged in any way is by tampering with its molecular bonding."

xterramatt
Aug 05 2004, 04:07 PM
Most definitely! Here is a description of his shield straight from Marvel (Innova should have stolen this for their CE line):

"The shield has great aerodynamic properties: it is able to slice through the air with minimal wind resistance and deflection of path. Its great overall resilience, combined with its natural concentric stiffness, enables it to rebound from objects with minimal loss of angular momentum. It is virtually indestructible: it is resistant to penetration, temperature extremes, and the entire electromagnetic spectrum of radiation. The only way it can be damaged in any way is by tampering with its molecular bonding."

Sounds like it's made of Champion plastic.

I'd suggest a 150 class Champion Teebird, this disc impressed me in 150 class. easy to throw and not easily flippy. A great tailwind driver for someone looking for a glider.

veganray
Aug 05 2004, 04:15 PM
I throw a 149 Ch. Teebird all the time & have found that the extreme gumminess of the plastic makes the dome collapse & flatten a bit, making it more overstable (& farther flying) than its heavier Ch. Teebird counterparts.

Aug 06 2004, 06:28 AM
Well, I got a 144g dx Valk in the mail yesterday. I didn't get to throw it yet cuz I've been replacing the head gasket in my car and that takes all my spare time. God (or godess's) willing, it'll fire up today and I can get to the course. Thanks for all the posts, it seems as if I have been missing out on a large part of the game, and I can't wait to see this disc fly.

Good luck to everyone in Iowa! :D
Throw like Captain America!

Aug 11 2004, 03:25 AM
I learned to play with 175 class drivers......... Then I was asking for distance advice from one of the pro's around town.
He said I was absolutely nuts for trying to work with 175! So I have started diversifiying my bag and experimenting with different weights...... I have 147 DX Eagle that I had to retrain myself to throw. It is my lethal weapon if there isn't any wind! I find that it is more stable than the candy. It is hard to find discs 155-165 which I think is my range! But i do own 165-170 for the windy day games......

The LONG courses tire me out and it is nice to have lighter discs for the end! :D

Aug 11 2004, 04:48 AM
I haven't been able to throw my valk a lot due to car trama, but I am starting to realize that I have a lot of bad habits to break.
Hopefully, i'll get some practice time in this weekend, and I can pretend I'm a cinderella story in the 04 World's. :D

Aug 11 2004, 05:46 AM
for me the 150 class is a jump that induces bad technique. it become a hyzered projectile not a flying disc. although when i throw 160's leopards and beat ol' cyclones i definately reduce the margin of error and then am able to make bigger leaps in use of my champion, z, e palstic. (hvae you seen taht fw: abuot spllenig and udnsrtadning?-fnuny!) i restrict myself to understable to stable discs for a couple 18's a week and am really liking the leopard tight gate low ceiling capabilities. good luck with your own experiments.

Aug 14 2004, 05:12 PM
With the 144g dx Valkrye that I just aquired, I found that I need to have a lot of room to air it out an let it turn over. for tunnel shots I returned to using my cyclone and teebird; I use a classic roc for shorter distances.

However, when I have the room, that new Valk really flies, and the lighter weight is very useful in demonstating incorrect technique. Not a lot of room for air, oops i mean error. The first few times I threw it, i had way to much anhyzer on it and it just dove off to my right. However by releasing it with slight hyzer and a good rip, it turned over and performed a tight helix that added probably fifty feet to my driving distance. I did a roc only round later in the day, and found that I could drive my roc almost as far using the same technique. I'm sure the 144g Valk will have more uses beyond just training my technique, but it was worth the seven bucks just for that.
Fun rounds today, I might not be in Iowa, but I played some **** fine disc golf today and had a blast. :D

rocknrog
Aug 14 2004, 09:29 PM
I have a 150 class DX Big Bird Ranco Roc& Dx Shark and they bomb down wind if you have room to air it out on the left. It's all spin & height, try not to over power the disc. the Roc is even good for straight tunnel shots just smooth the release.

Aug 16 2004, 01:42 AM
I have a 150 class DX Big Bird Ranco Roc& Dx Shark and they bomb down wind if you have room to air it out on the left.

Are you throwing RHBH? If so, then I guess you need the room on the left because of how understable those discs are?
That's why I like the Valk, 'cuz its stabler than a roc, but at the light weight with a strong smooth release it turns over, it seems as if the stability of the disc brings it back right better and also limits its right to left movement resulting in a tight, straight helix. It's still easy too overthrow it though.

rocknrog
Aug 17 2004, 12:20 AM
Yeah, as clint used to say "RIGHT TURN Clyde" they are understable but with the proper throw the distance is amazing, especially once the wind gets under the disc.

They can be versatile too, the trick is proper throws not power. I have found that power is good at times & finese is better all the time. 150 class are true finese discs.

riverdog
Aug 17 2004, 11:03 AM
threadrift - ROG, have you heard The Gourds, uptempo bluegrass version of "Gin and Juice"? You'll either love it or laugh your butt off or both. :D

rocknrog
Aug 17 2004, 01:36 PM
I've heard a country version is that the same one or is this yet another Blue grass version. The country one is GREAT! I'll have to try to find the Gourds version, thanks peace out ROG

riverdog
Aug 17 2004, 02:23 PM
Maybe the same. The Gourds are a really progressive bluegrass group with some nice covers of a wide variety of other flavors of music. For some odd reason they seem to prefer recording in the Netherlands. ;) :cool::D

Blarg
Aug 19 2004, 05:49 AM
I couldn't disagree more. The heavier a disk is, the more it becomes a 'projectile.' It's easy to see if you take it to the extreme. Imagine throwing a discus made of metal weighing a pound or so and you will begin to understand.
Lighter discs induce WAY better technique, as they must be thrown with precision to behave well and therefore 'induce' or even require, great technique. When thrown properly, they 'fly' and glide much more than the heavy discs and potentially MUCH farther. Also, for beginners, more possibilities become evident sooner with lighter discs.
The ony exception would be high winds, at which point I'd be looking to throw heavier weights.

:)

Aug 24 2004, 07:52 AM
Actually, in high winds, I just throw low, so the disc stays under them. :D
I let my girl throw my 144g valk and she ripped her longest drive ever. This is a person who has about four rounds of dg under her belt, and she threw it about 250'.
I'm very impressed with the 150 class disc I have, and will probably pick up some more.

quickdisc
Aug 24 2004, 10:30 AM
Actually, in high winds, I just throw low, so the disc stays under them. :D
I let my girl throw my 144g valk and she ripped her longest drive ever. This is a person who has about four rounds of dg under her belt, and she threw it about 250'.
I'm very impressed with the 150 class disc I have, and will probably pick up some more.

I have thrown a 150 class DX Beast over 400+ and it remained stable. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Blarg
Aug 25 2004, 03:43 PM
Quickdisc:
I can't throw 400 feet (yet!), but I know what you mean.
My 150dx Beast was very overstable until I hit a few dozen trees.

quickdisc
Aug 26 2004, 01:38 PM
Quickdisc:
I can't throw 400 feet (yet!), but I know what you mean.
My 150dx Beast was very overstable until I hit a few dozen trees.

Doohhh !!! :p They are fun to throw though.

Sep 21 2004, 09:21 PM
My recent experiences: The 150 JK Valks in the SE/Pro-type plastic are very rad, but dicontinued, I believe. Those gummy champions of this mold are good, but not quite as good.

150 Champion Leopards are my secret weapon. Tunnel shots, late right turns (started w/hyzer), and big D w/a low ceiling.

158 Champion Orc: still unsure as to the best use of light, but overstable plastic. Controlled headwind turnovers? Downwind hyzers? Maybe something in the Tommy/Thumber family?

150 Viking: Once you get the hang of it, it's incredibly long in dead air as well as tailwinds. I pouted when I lost my first one 80ft up in a tree at an out of town course.

150 Pro TL: I LOVE my 169-175 Pro TL's, but I keep stealing my girlfriend's 150 to fool around with (she likes her 160 DX better.....foolish girl). Solid flyer.

Dragon. Really wanted to like this disc. I don't, but...

Firebird in Dragon plastic!: cool disc. Possibly a choice for water hazards.

150 champion Banshee: Haven't thrown much, as it is an Inncolor disc and too pretty to mess up, but might be a great downwind sidearm disc.

148 DX Archangel: this weight might be a little extreme, but lightweight AAs in DX ONLY have a lot of use whenever you envision a need for MAX glide. Still the glide champ, in IMHO.

Sep 22 2004, 02:52 AM
Its funny you list a 158g champion orc. I was just thinking about getting a 160g one.
My valk is flying very well for me, but I have another question.
Is it best to use one mold at different weights, or are some molds better heavy and some better light?

coda_hatfield
Sep 22 2004, 11:09 AM
Discraft just came out with a new line of 150 class drivers. The Flick, Z-Storm, and Z-Talon. /msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Blarg
Sep 22 2004, 06:08 PM
Just got two 1st run 150g class Flicks. Strangely enough, one is a lot domier than the other, which is very flat and fast looking. Flight plate on the flatter one is very slightly 'dented,'
but I've yet to see how it affects the flight.
Very wide rim and overstable for me, but they seem to have great potential.
HARD left low speed fade with big high left curving skips (RHBH).
Probably a great disc for sidearm throwers having trouble with turning discs over.
:p

riverdog
Sep 24 2004, 12:19 PM
Got a couple of Z-Flicks and a Z-Storm yesterday and spent a lot of time throwing and comparing in a field yesterday afternoon. I can preface this evaluation with the fact that I throw a lot of light plastic. My routine long driver selection goes something like 150 CE Valk, 155 CE Leopard, 155 Champ Teebird (my primary, bread and butter driver), 162 Champ Beast and 158 Champ Orc as longest discs.

I was comparing the Flick directly to 150 Champ Eagles, 150 Champ Banshees and 164 CE Firebird. In pure distance the Flick was a lot longer than the Eagles and Banshees and a bit longer than the Firebird. For me it was almost as long as my Orcs and Beasts. Stability wise it will absolutely, by god live up to it's +2 rating at the end of it's flight, a characteristic that makes it very predictable for a long tailing hyzer throw, especially uphill. My longest throws with it came on flat rips. It is a disc that I definitely had to work at keeping the nose down on. It will go into the driver rotation in my bag for the time being at least.

150 Z-Storm - I really wanted to like this disc. A 173 DGLO Z-Storm has shared duty with a 179 Champ Cobra as my main mid-ranges for the past year and a half. By releasing with a lot of hyzer I could get a long flip to flat flight but the lack of weight seems to really inhibit its use as a long or even mid-range anhyzer disc. I'll still break it out as a downhill roller experiment in the next few days but for the most part it was a failed science project for me.

Not a 150 class but the 2004 Ace Race Disc came in the same batch of discs and in my book it is a definite winner - lot of distance for a mid-range, decent glide with stability comparable to a Champ Panther of the same weight. Turnover point on the Champ Panther seems more consistent though. Won't replace the Panther in my bag but maybe worth a try for you.

Sep 27 2004, 02:04 PM
I picked up a 150-gm JK Valk on Friday. The top plate is so thin that the disc feels floppy. However, I put it within 10 ft of the pin on hole G at Hoover/Hambrick and picked up a rare birdie, so it is definitely a disc with potential for me. I had actually stopped at the store to see about a new Flick, but they had none in stock -- I found this single lightweight Valk and could not resist. It is so different from my 160-gm CE Valk, which feels as stiff as ceramic. Two very different discs from the same mold...

Blarg
Sep 27 2004, 03:58 PM
I've noticed the same thing. The lighter weight (150g)Valkyries are definitely more flexible than the heavier ones. I think it's just a matter of there being so much less plastic to keep the weight down, resulting in a very thin flight plate.
I also bought two first run Flicks and they are quite different from each other. One is extremely flat and one is quite a bit domier.

ferretdance03
Sep 27 2004, 07:24 PM
i agree with Blarg, a little weight difference makes the flight plate seem a lot thinner. i have 166 c valk and a 150 c valk,a nd the 150 feels like a pancake compared to the 166. i love throwing the lighter plastic though, easy on my bad rotator cuff, and still can put it out there with the right technique. i think throwing lighter plastic will definitely improve your game.

riverdog
Sep 28 2004, 11:21 AM
Ferretdance, does your tag have anything to do with the arcane sport of ferret-legging?

Sep 28 2004, 11:22 AM
I find 150-155 gram CE Leopards to be my most accurate driver, with decent distance. A 150 JK Valk flies farther, but is less predictable. My 160 Champion Beast doesn't fly quite as far, but is good for long hyzer shots. My newest addition is a 150 Pro TL Teebird, which outflies anything I've ever thrown.

Sep 28 2004, 01:18 PM
Ferretdance, does your tag have anything to do with the arcane sport of ferret-legging?

Beats me, but ferretdance better make photocopies of all those DG mags for me. Outbid me while I am at work, will ya? *raises fists* ;)

riverdog
Sep 28 2004, 02:36 PM
I think an awful lot of my 155 CE Leopards, probably my second most used driver. If you haven't tried 155 Champ TeeBirds you are missing a bet. I see you are in Fuquay-Varina. Have you played Shannon Neely's Higher Ground course there? Got a couple of CTP's at the homegrown tournie a couple of weeks ago - one with my old faithful 155 Ch TeeBird, the other believe it or not with a Hydra. Shannon has a lot of water to throw over. Hydra is not a 150 class but once you get past the odd feel of the plastic its a very consistent level flyer.

ferretdance03
Sep 28 2004, 03:37 PM

Beats me, but ferretdance better make photocopies of all those DG mags for me. Outbid me while I am at work, will ya? *raises fists* ;)

one of the benefits of working graveyard shift, i guess ;)

and the name stems from an inside joke from college, and my love of ferrets....what is ferret-legging?

riverdog
Sep 28 2004, 03:54 PM
Google ferret legging and it will give you an article written by Donald Katz several years ago. Several, christ, I was still in school so over twenty to the original publication. Anyway the article, tongue in cheek, chronicles the life and times of one Reg Mellor, king of the ferret leggers. The sport is simple and involves a loose fitting pair of white pants, to show the blood better, tied at the waist and at each ankle. Time starts when a ****** off and famished ferret is thrust into the white trousers and ends when the contestant can no longer tolerate the pain of a ferret hanging from "your tool". Your gonna love it Dances-with-ferrets. :cool:

ferretdance03
Sep 29 2004, 01:36 AM
not to take this post too far off topic intot he subject of ferrets, but that article is quite disturbing... i would have to assume that the ferrets they use are malnourished and mistreated at best. i have 3 that i have hand raised and continue to handle ona daily basis, but i wouldn't put them down my pants. neither would i say they are the filthy, vicous, beasts taht the article makes them out to be... like dog fighting i would say. the fighting dogs are mean and nasty, but not all dogs are....

anyway, i love my 150 class drivers.... :D

Sep 29 2004, 02:11 AM
What do ferret leggers and disc golfers have in common?

......They can both be googled.

Anyway, my 148 dx valk is staring to turn over too easy after all my "treelove" so I think I'm going to try a slightly heavier champion valk. or champion teebird.
155 sounds about right. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
My 148 valk sure goes when I throws. 400 feet baby! I never thought i could really do it but i can with that disc. Amazing. And I've also added about 50' on my heavier drivers due to a better technique.
Of course, I owe a lot of it to Blake T's articles, but without the lightweight valk, I wouldn't have noticed a lot of the errors of my ways.
;)

riverdog
Sep 29 2004, 09:22 AM
One last ferret off topic question. You did catch the part about "tongue in cheek", right? :p

ferretdance03
Sep 29 2004, 11:48 AM
:p

circle_2
Sep 29 2004, 01:22 PM
My 155-163g KC T's are awesome...predictable; whether 16 months old or brand new! :cool:
The break-ins have been slow and true. I like this plastic as much as any other...grippy & dependable!

I wish I had gotten some Vikings in these weights...as I'm told they're long gone. Anybody have some they wanna shed?

veganray
Sep 29 2004, 03:18 PM
I drive w/ 149-150g Ch. Vikings & 148-150g 11x KC Teebirds. I stumbled onto 25 of each about 2 mos. ago, and I hope they're my driver stock for several year to come.

ferretdance03
Sep 29 2004, 05:05 PM
I drive w/ 149-150g Ch. Vikings & 148-150g 11x KC Teebirds. I stumbled onto 25 of each about 2 mos. ago, and I hope they're my driver stock for several year to come.

how and where did you stumble upon 50 discs? i'd like to take a walk where you've been.... :D

veganray
Sep 30 2004, 12:01 PM
Innova East warehouse

Sep 30 2004, 01:00 PM
Great topic!

I'm only 5'4", so because my 'levers' are shorter, I need any extra edge I can get.

My first light disc was a 145g Firebird. I only had this for a day before I lost it :( But at the time I was getting my longest drives and got my first ever birdie.

Recently I got a 150g Dragon, which I really liked, I was getting some extra distance on my drives, and really noticed the glide. Hit a tree and watch how far it still goes! But the Dragon seems a little flippy for a default driver.

Enter my new 150 Valk. I've been throwing this the last week or so, and combined with a new drive technique I'm working on (reach way back and pull through the chest) I'm doubling my drive distances. It hasn't flipped too much on me yet, it goes super straight, with a touch of hyzer at the end. I'm sold on this disc and I'll have to get more, because I'm sure it will be understable as hell after a few months of hitting trees :cool:

Tonight I'll be test driving my brand new 148g Beast. I'm hoping this will be a little more stable that the valk, for making bigger turns around corners and battling the wind. Plus it's my understanding that you can get a little more distance with a Beast over a valk.

All I throw is DX. The discs don't last real long before they become unpredictable. But I much prefer the feel of the plastic, and get a better grip than with CE plastic.

Gonna have to keep my eye out for another 145 firebird. That was a great disc! Wasn't too effected by the wind either.

ferretdance03
Sep 30 2004, 04:50 PM
East! I live on the east, how do i stumble into the Innova east wharehouse?!?

All I throw is DX. The discs don't last real long before they become unpredictable. But I much prefer the feel of the plastic, and get a better grip than with CE plastic.

Have you tried the Pro plastic? It supposedly feels a little more like DX but is more durable. I've never thrown it so I can't say for sure, but I bet someone else around here can....

Sep 30 2004, 05:06 PM
No, I haven't thrown any Pro either.

Oct 01 2004, 10:26 AM
Played around with my new 148g Beast last night! I *love* it! Gotta make sure I get another one of those for backup.

veganray
Oct 01 2004, 10:38 AM
I've got a 150g Pro TL that I just started throwing Monday. Very similar to 150g Champion ("gummy") plastic, IMHO. I've also got a 150g Pro T & 148g Pro Cobra, but have yet tro throw either.