Jul 29 2004, 03:59 AM
Alright this past spring or so my tomahawk was pretty good. Not my longest distance throw but then again it shouldn't be. Anyway, the disc corkscrewed well and its flight was predictable.

Well a few months ago I found I could no longer get the disc to rotate all the way around 180 degrees. Now it just pancakes (if that even--sometimes it stays vertical). I get the same D but now its much less accurate. I think its due to my improvement in my snapping ability. I've been working on my BH and my snap has dramatically improved. What do you guys think? What can I do to get the disc to flip over all the way? I can do it with a thumber but the tomahawk has eluded me.

Jul 29 2004, 06:28 AM
Do you throw your tomahawk back hand? I always thought a tomahawk was an overhand flick with a grip very similar to a forehand throw.
What disc are you tomahawking? I've noticed that some discs corkscrew and some fall like a leaf. The beast seems to really corkscrew, where my cyclone floats down like a leaf.
Anyway, I'm more inclined to think there has been a change in your disc rather than your throw.
two cents please.

crotts
Jul 29 2004, 01:13 PM
try throwing different discs and see what the differences are. but i think a tomahawk is mostly how you release it determines how much it turns over. the angle of the disc.

i dont know i've always had mine just pancake and skip the extra few feet.

: ) :

flynvegas
Jul 29 2004, 01:29 PM
Try a DX Whippet, will corkscrew drop and sit.

Jul 29 2004, 01:40 PM
Pruner: I throw my tomahawk overhand flick. My grip looks like I'm making a gun with my first two fingers and my thumb. The inside of the disc's rim sits on the side of my middle finger (sometimes I mix it up and grip the rim with the tips of both my fingers). I started with a Valk and was able to easily get it to precess. Now I can't do it with the Valk or with an Orc either. Maybe I should try something more overstable??? Hmmm maybe there is a use for that Firebird in my bag...

As for the Whippet...**** I just got rid one...

discgolfreview
Jul 29 2004, 01:54 PM
from the sound of it, you may want to adjust the angle you are releasing at. it appears you may have the disc too vertical and would benefit from tilting it a bit towards your head so that the flight plate faces somewhat down.

more overstable discs will also be easier as it is the low speed fade component that pulls the disc through the corkscrew.

esalazar
Jul 29 2004, 01:59 PM
firebird thrown like baseball from the outfield....

Jul 29 2004, 04:26 PM

^^^ very wise words

eddie_ogburn
Jul 29 2004, 04:46 PM
Less stable discs will flip faster but wont go as far as Firebirds, Whippets, etc. Try a beat Tbird, Valk or Orc. They flip a lot eaiser.

esalazar
Jul 29 2004, 05:10 PM

^^^ very wise words

the curve ball did not work for me!!!!!!!!!!

gnduke
Jul 29 2004, 05:25 PM
Larry finally showed me how to throw a tomahawk at LOSO.

I have always had the same problem with the disc either not rolling at all or at best landing flat on the top.

It was a change in the grip where I was putting more down force with my fingers (toward my palm) than before. The disc started corkscrewing reliably after that. Can't throw it as far as my thumber yet, but it should come around.

Jul 29 2004, 10:50 PM
Blake and Duke, I'll try to give your suggestions a try. My thumber works well but it doesn't have nearly the same distance. I just can't get the same grip on it as I can with the tomahawk. I don't really use the throw that often anyway but its good to have a variety of weapons ya know?

discgolfreview
Jul 30 2004, 12:18 AM
DrF, hopefully somethin will help w/ it. i should have typed it in my last post, but basically i was describing the "anhyzer equivalent" for a tommy. if you can't flip it, start it out turned over.

esalazar
Jul 30 2004, 02:21 PM
for distance- you ever wonder why some pitchers can throw so **** hard. the primary difference is form, study the motion of a professional pitcher ..arm reaches way back,back arched,as much extension as possible,snap release and full follow thru.Once you get this goto the outfield and repeat in motion.good luck and easier said than done..

Jul 31 2004, 12:24 AM
This may fall more under mental aspect, but it affects my tomahawks the most...I have to have something in my way to be able to throw it good. For example, an open field is a bad choice to practice compared to some trees that I have to throw over...I'm just odd though.

Jul 31 2004, 06:20 AM
I agree with the baseball thing. One of my buddies has the smoothest tomahawk I've ever seen. It even sounds like a million bucks, and he was an all star pitcher growing up. I've tried to emulate some of his natural movement, and it really gave me control over corkscrew and direction. He seems to tilt 15-25 degress towards his head, but usually more in the 15-ish. He gives it that downward followthrough as if he was half baseball half football. His go a lot further tan mine, but as long as I get a good clean release it'll fly and twist when I expect it to. Obstacles do seem to help me too. The best disc luck I've had is with a Beast or an Extreme if I want it to twist faster. Hopefully I can get insight from other more experienced players. :cool: