stevenpwest
Jul 28 2004, 11:21 PM
When you last designed, built, or played at a course, what would have been the next thing you would have bought for the course, if you had more funding? Or, all the funding you could ask for?

A couple of ground rules: We're looking at primarily investments in a better course. So, nothing that involves a salary or any significant ongoing expense. So, a disc vending machine might be OK, but not a full-service shop.

Sorry, but you can't buy more land, or change the location. Also, anything that would disturb the land would be frowned on (no astro-turfing the fairways).

ck34
Jul 29 2004, 12:25 AM
Something that will be expensive to duplicate from scratch is our irrigation system which was already installed on the Highbridge Hills property for the intended ball golf course which never happened. The owner has told me he'll build creeks, ponds, waterfalls and fountains wherever I want them to create challenges similar to Winthrop Gold but with "natural" water hazards instead of yellow rope.

Jul 29 2004, 01:44 AM
How about disc cleaning stations?
I think a clubhouse would also be nice.
First thing to spend money on past the course would be trash cans. At least one a hole, and a service to pick up the trash and leave clean bags.
Then any extra cash would have to go toward a girl in a cart selling cold beer and soda. :D

Jul 29 2004, 03:46 AM
Something that will be expensive to duplicate from scratch is our irrigation system which was already installed on the Highbridge Hills property for the intended ball golf course which never happened. The owner has told me he'll build creeks, ponds, waterfalls and fountains wherever I want them to create challenges similar to Winthrop Gold but with "natural" water hazards instead of yellow rope.

Make it so, Mr. Kennedy, Then invite me over, dammit! :)

I recently designed my first of what I hope to be many more courses (discussions are ongoing, stay tuned). Here are my thoughts on this.

Ten suggestions, in no particular order of importance.

1. Trash cans. Mr. Pruner's suggestion of a trash can per hole is an excellent one. A lot of folks will say that one every other hole or every three is sufficient, but if we're talking about a scenario wherin the funds are there, every hole is optimum. We are, by and large more focused on golf than trash, sadly, and more trash cans means less trash on the course. Bottom line.

2. Good signage. I'm assuming you already know this, but its important. Very important.

3. A kiosk. Along with good signage, this will raise the visibility of the sport to the park's other users and be a good place to post info on leagues, etc..

4. Benches, benches, benches. Give us a place to sit. We walk and carry heavy bags, up and down rougher terrain than in ball and stick. We don't drive carts. Let us rest. We'll thank you and enjoy playing your course more often.

5. Clear and comfy walking trails between holes. Hey, you said funds weren't a problem, right? :)

6. Concrete tee pads. Okay, so I actually recommended our city not put in concrete just yet. But, that's because I know how these folks are and how many times I had to redesign the course before the first holes went in. If there's no squabble over where things are gonna be on a relatively permanent basis, and unlimited funds, there's no excuse for not having concrete tee pads. Period.

7. Bathrooms. Big expense, but worth it to enhance the overall experience of playing your course. Porta-Pottys are better than nothing but bathroom facilities lend an air of permanence and credibility to a disc golf course as a family recreation activity. Not to mention the air they improve. :)

8. Plant grass. I love Chuck's idea of irrigation systems, but at least, since we have unlimited monies to work with here, buy some pallet grass and give us grass on the fairways and especially the greens.

9. Clearing the schule. I know we like our rough to be rough, but if you have unlimited resources to deal with here, clean it up. I hate seeing a beautiful course, especially on privately maintained land, with painfully dangerous rough. There's no reason for it. I love nature as much as the next guy and I want the rough to be a bad place to be on any course I design, but there's no reason to make it so unpleasant as to make people not want to come out and enjoy playing there.

10. Water fountains. I've seen these on a few courses, and sadly many PARD's don't keep on top of them. Often they are not working or in bad shape. But they are great to have. The local Lions Club in Live Oak, TX paid to have a nice one installed on hole #23 from the funds they made selling drinks out of a mule running around at tournaments. Its hot out there. Give us access to water when and where we need it.

That's all I've got, but I'm sure others have more. Let me know when this "disc golf course with unlimited funding" opens. I wanna run a tournament there. :)

Jul 29 2004, 01:50 PM
The right reverend hit the nail on the head, benches, trashcans, water-fountains, and bathrooms make a HUGE difference in the overall quality of a course and should be installed on every one. Greens, pathways, kiosks, etc., would definately help take it to the "next level" and make for a really nice course. What about a public pool and hot tub? A long soak in a hot tub after a 2-day tourney would be divine!

Moderator005
Jul 29 2004, 02:16 PM
Clearing the schule. I know we like our rough to be rough, but if you have unlimited resources to deal with here, clean it up. I hate seeing a beautiful course, especially on privately maintained land, with painfully dangerous rough. There's no reason for it. I love nature as much as the next guy and I want the rough to be a bad place to be on any course I design, but there's no reason to make it so unpleasant as to make people not want to come out and enjoy playing there.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. The "What am I, a mountain goat?" thread got me started thinking about it, and then over the past two weeks I have been playing disc golf nearly every evening at a temporary course that will be used for Pro Worlds 2005 next year. The entire Little Lehigh Parkway course plays over well-manicured grass in the most attractive park in town. Generally speaking, most anyone can play almost an entire round and NEVER have to retrieve an errant disc from gnarly schul filled with poison ivy, thorns, etc. The joy of throwing a disc on plush grass is immense! I guess I never really noticed until now, but I don't think I've ever played a single course ANYHWERE that doesn't border some nasty terrain, and knowing me, my discs usually find it. Ball golfers rarely have to deal with this kind of hazard, and if they do, it's usually an unplayable lie anyway. Wouldn't it be nice for disc golfers to enjoy the same luxury?

Jul 29 2004, 02:42 PM
I have always thought it would be kinda cool to have some of those "shoe scrubber thingees" they have at ball golf courses.

On muddy days it should would be nicer than the old stick to get the mud of my shoes before I tee.

Later,

Mike D :cool:

MMorano
Jul 29 2004, 03:41 PM
strategically placed sandtraps.

md21954
Jul 29 2004, 04:27 PM
at druid hill dgc in baltimore, we're very fortunate to have the cooperation of the city in maintenance and funding. the course used to be part of the city zoo (one of the oldest in the country) and has been a certified arboretum.

that said, the city gives the course lots of trees (to the dismay of many golfers :D). a very good job has been done backing up older trees that might succumb to severe weather. word has it, next on the dockett is to start planting trees near tee pads for shade where there isn't any, without changing flight paths.

Jul 29 2004, 04:31 PM
Shade trees on sunny boxes are also an excellent idea, Paul.

Well put.

Now if you could just Putt well.

Jul 29 2004, 11:08 PM
There's another thread that talks about the pros and cons of these: circular teepads. Definate con is the increase in cost for more concrete. But if money is no object circular (or maybe even octagonal as someone else suggested) would be an awesome addition to a course if you ask me.

MMorano
Jul 30 2004, 01:10 AM
A nice place to sit. a bench by the tee pad, but not to close.

underparmike
Jul 30 2004, 04:04 PM
get a big huge backhoe, so you can dig ponds and build hills.

flyboy
Jul 31 2004, 01:10 PM
Fly 18 is everything that we need for disc golf.All the stuff you are asking for is there.BEER cart his and hers bathrooms restaraunt discs and more.The park will always be a park nomatter how much you click your heels.Dorthy plays on fly courses so she doesnt <font color="red"> </font> mess up her shoes.

stevenpwest
Aug 03 2004, 01:04 AM
Nobody said this was going to be a park.

Aug 03 2004, 05:50 AM
Flyboy, you seem to have a notion that any course not on a ball golf course is primitive. Your unnatural hatred for anything not fly18 is sick and wrong. You do have a great idea, and it could do wonders for our sport, but if you keep disrespecting other aspects of disc golf and trying to make it a clone of that scottish game ball golf, you are just going to make a joke out of it.
I don't mind discussions with many different ideas, but when we are talking about a fantasy disc golf course, we are not talking about a ball golf course with tee pads and baskets. We are talking disc golf. can you get that?
What are you so ****** about anyway? did something bad happen to you in a public park? And as Steve said, "Nobody said this was going to be a park."
So please flyboy, lighten up on the derogatory tone towards all the fine public disc golf courses in the world, and open your eyes to the beautiful private (and public) courses going in that have nothing to do with ball golf.
So, I guess if I had funds left over, I would buy out fly 18 and replace the spokesperson so it wasn't someone who came off sounding like an elitist moron.

Aug 04 2004, 02:04 AM
It's not an unnatural hatred, it's marketing shtick.

stevenpwest
Aug 04 2004, 11:32 AM
That's too much on Flyboy. Isn't there a whole 'nother thread to talk about him?

Get back to my shopping list, I've got a meeting with the money people Thursday.

Aug 05 2004, 05:55 AM
How about a fragrant rose garden "sand trap"?
How about a driving range complete with video camera and playback monitor?
How about a course pro? (I'd volunteer, but I'm not a pro.)
How about a pro shop?
Just a few more ideas. good luck today.

Blarg
Aug 08 2004, 07:20 PM
A driving range is a great idea. Distance markers, maybe a couple of baskets or targets out there. Sort of difficult for whoever it is that has to retrieve all the discs without a disc-picker machine, but definitely doable.
I read somewhere that there is a course that has a driving range, but I can't recall where I saw it.
I think there's only one in the U.S.(?)

Aug 09 2004, 12:04 PM
A Tiki course! If you haven't been to the Grange in VA, you are missing out on the putter only Tiki course. It is great for kids, newbies, senior citizens, as well as current pros. There is nothing better to get your putter game warmed up for a round/tourney. You don't need much land, but of course you do need extra baskets.

ChrisWoj
Aug 11 2004, 07:34 PM
Well, I saw water fountains mentioned... and this came to mind...

Ohio Northern University, in the ponds, has water fountains coming up... I mean, like the geyserlike things? Water geysers? I don't know the technical term, or if I do it's slipping my mind... but when you put a floating disc in the ONU ponds, they're on the beach in under five minutes thanks to fountains in the center of the ponds that cause the water to ripple towards the shore.

It is very nice.

-Woj.

Sep 05 2004, 01:17 AM
If I had lots of money, I'd dig holes and build hills wherever it would make a better hole. And I'd like to see more obstacles such as retaining walls, sand traps, flown-in boulders, large sculptures, fences, etc. And for some more liquid excitement, build one of those dancing water fountains that shoot a stream of water, arching in the air and falling into a receiving hole, or popping straight up, like you see at large parks, sport stadiums and shopping malls, so that timing of your shot might be a factor. Also, more, or better use of plants would be good. Lets have giant ornamental grasses and other professional landscaping elements. Roses would be nice touch. Flowers along trails and in the rough is a simple upgrade for almost any location. And of course, try for the extreme or unique designs.

Those are a few of my late-night ideas.

Sep 05 2004, 01:28 AM
another thing if you're near a large city... a possible scenario: create a high school scholarship and donate money each year to students and their school. have a sign at each hole showing which school is the caretaker of that hole. They could keep it clean, build walkways and bridges, paint, show their large outdoor sculptures, staff the hole at the big tourney. Key concept is allow them an outdoor arena for their projects and service, while providing them monetary funding, and provide a sporting challenge for student players, taking donations from local companies to fund the whole thing which eventually has all the money going to all the schools and some athletes who in turn do the work and provide an endless stream of creativity each year.

just a thought. always gots thoughts. have fun. --Queen

Blarg
Sep 05 2004, 05:16 AM
marcqueen12550:

Yes! I like the way you think! Artificial obstacles could be great and artistic. Big wooden pillars of various heights, barricades with holes in them, walls to bank shots off of.
I've always wanted to utilize that property of frisbees or golf discs in some game. As far as I know, there is no flying disc game that involves bank-shots and there should be, as discs can bounce like crazy and in a controllable manner.
I'd put up small buildings you could shoot through, into and from on top of.
Is there a ghost town someplace we could buy and put baskets in?
:D

P.S.
My friends and I used to play catch at night in our apt. building out in the looong narrow hallway. In total darkness.
We used Moonlighters that caromed off the walls a zillion times down the hallway. It was fantastic!
:D

stevenpwest
Sep 12 2004, 03:55 PM
Wow! Lot's of great ideas!

As an old Frisbee thrower, I play number nine at Northview Park (Eagan, MN) by "rolling" the disc horizontally along the outer curve of the outfield fence of the ball park to the right of the fairway.

Blarg
Sep 13 2004, 02:51 AM
Steve West:

Cool! Love that sort of versatility! The last hole at Emerald Isle (fly 18 course on a ball golf course) has a very tall sort of net fence to the right of the fairway. Many players there do something like what you described by hucking the disc against the fence/net and havng it roll along up to the basket.

stevenpwest
Oct 12 2004, 09:51 PM
Sounds like I started another thread. To get back on track: I'm surprised no one mentioned upgrading the basic equipment, targets and tees.

Oct 13 2004, 01:42 AM
buying more land and building more courses would be a good way to use endless funds.

Schaff
Oct 13 2004, 11:01 PM
You could use the money to promote the sport.

beren
Oct 27 2004, 02:04 PM
How about build a whitewater course, rock climbing facilities, recreation center, mountain bike trails, picnic areas, and a bandstand around it? Then you get the bathrooms, space for disk sales, meeting rooms, etc. That's what is happening in Charlotte, NC. The U.S. National Whitewater Center (http://www.charlottewhitewater.com) is being built and Innova is going to try to get in on the action... They aren't there yet but the site is a no-brainer for at LEAST one course. Could be a Nat'l Tour stop one day in the foreseeable future...

jdubs63
Nov 16 2004, 11:21 AM
Fly 18 is everything that we need for disc golf.All the stuff you are asking for is there.BEER cart his and hers bathrooms restaraunt discs and more.The park will always be a park nomatter how much you click your heels.Dorthy plays on fly courses so she doesnt <font color="red"> </font> mess up her shoes.

What is fly18???

colin-evans
Nov 16 2004, 10:44 PM
Lights to play at night. Defined greens with slope, hills, maybe even holes that acted like sand traps too deep to put out of. More par 4s and 5s that require actual course maintenance.

ce