Jul 20 2004, 12:09 AM
hey, im trying to work the jump putt into my game becasue ive noticed that many of the "better" players at my home course use a jump putt when a normal putt would end up too short. im wondering if working the jump putt into my game would be worthwhile becasue now it seems inconsistant.

thanks in advance

marksout
Jul 20 2004, 12:22 AM
yes

Jul 20 2004, 01:44 AM
Well in the end, you are going to shoot more birdies if you can make longer putts. There are two ways to do this. Either you develope a good, consistant jump putt OR you can use the method I use and throw a touch approach. I use my putter and throw a very soft nose up anhyser without alot of spin. The disc flies at one height and comes right back and drops.

Now some are going to have better luck with other styles, but for me, the touch approach is much more versatile than the jump putt. It can be used from anywhere 150' in and I've used it enough to be able to control it fairly well. I probably hit about 2 out of 10 from 100' out which is not bad, and the missed shots are never more than 5' away from the pin.

In the end, it doesn't matter what you chose as long as you chose one and stick with it.

Chris Hysell
Jul 20 2004, 08:19 AM
Just learn to putt longer without the jump putt. Jump putts aren't necessary until you are about 150ft away.

Jul 20 2004, 11:06 AM
Not true.

Chris Hysell
Jul 20 2004, 11:29 AM
not true

m_conners
Jul 20 2004, 11:31 AM
Just learn to putt longer without the jump putt. Jump putts aren't necessary until you are about 150ft away.

Jump putts at 150ft?? That is a reach, I don't jump putt unless the situation calls for it. But I do have a question about jump putting that some of you may know the answer too. Are you allowed to jump to the side while putting or are you only supposed to jump forward?

Say you throw a drive behind some thick brush and you have no shot through it or over it...can you take a running start and jump from your mark to the left or right side and release the disc before touching the ground?

Basically what i'm asking, is it legal to jump to the side instead of jumping towards the basket?

reddman
Jul 20 2004, 11:37 AM
You have to have a supporting point touching the ground when you release the disc. If you are in the air when you release the disc, it's a foot fault. You can jump any direction you want as long as you let go of the disc before you move your foot behind your marker. I really can't see how somebody will have a lot of control over the line of the disc if they release it while their whole body is in the air.

m_conners
Jul 20 2004, 11:49 AM
Good point Redd, throwing the disc in mid air would be difficult.

Some pros are deadly with the 100ft jump putt.

baldguy
Jul 20 2004, 11:53 AM
I've had this argument before... but basically it is very hard to complete a "real" jump-putt. As ReddMan mentioned above, you must have at least one supporting point behind your marker. I'd be willing to bet that at least 60% if not 80% of golfers who think they are executing a legal jump-putt are actually causing themselves to foot fault, because they release the disc while in the air. Like a jump-shot in basketball, you can have accuracy while airborn... but it's not a legal shot in disc golf. :D

I've argued this to the point of asking someone to let me video them while they jump-putt so I can prove that they are using an illegal shot. The physics of it works out so that there is no real benefit of doing this, if you stay within the confines of the PDGA rules. technically, if you release with at least one supporting point, then you are releasing the disc before your body has moved enough to give you an advantage. The only advantage that could be gained by using a "legal" jump putt is this: you don't "jump" as much as you "hop," meaning that you force yourself to fall forward, shortening the distance between you and the basket. the disc is released with a supporting point behind the marker, but you must "hop" forward to keep from falling down (because you're off balance). Those who actually "jump" forward are either releasing illegaly or wasting their energy :)

Chris Hysell
Jul 20 2004, 11:56 AM
I have had to quote the rules to jump putters not for their release but because they like to clear their landing area. Due to the fact that they think the only way to putt from 50ft is with a follow through, they illegally move stuff in front of their lie.

m_conners
Jul 20 2004, 12:12 PM
Do they move stuff in front of the lie in order to jump from further back behind the mark? Technically you would be giving yourself some sort of advantage right? STROKE EM!

Jul 20 2004, 01:05 PM
I don't do a "jump" putt anyways, I do a "hop" putt. :D

pterodactyl
Jul 20 2004, 01:25 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: When done properly, the putt-jump is released with your support point still behind the marker. The release and hop happen simultaneously, thus giving you the impetus for forward momentum.
This is a great shot to have in your repertoire, so practice, practice, practice.

Jul 20 2004, 01:28 PM
I always thought the idea of the jump-putt was to be able to take advantage of a large shift in weight and follow through without worrying about losing your balence. You don't follow though on a drive to get closer to the basket, you do it to get the most out of your motions.

I agree that it's more of a hop to keep you from falling over rather than an actual jump forward. Perhaps a "follow-through putt" would be a more appropriate name for it.

pterodactyl
Jul 20 2004, 01:29 PM
One more thing: Try working on your stradle putt-jump as well. You'll need it some day. KL

Chris Hysell
Jul 20 2004, 01:35 PM
Don't jump putt behind fire pits, briar patches or ravines.

Jul 20 2004, 01:45 PM
So that's what that guy did on Survivor, a jump putt into a fire pit.

neonnoodle
Jul 20 2004, 01:47 PM

Aw c'mon Hysell! You're just jealous because you can't jump...

at all. ;)

Jul 20 2004, 02:41 PM
I always thought the idea of the jump-putt was to be able to take advantage of a large shift in weight and follow through without worrying about losing your balence.

this was also my understanding of the jump putt.
using a jump putt from 50 to 70 feet would let you maintain your normal putting motion (putting from 35 feet in) but letting you take advantage of more weight shift and a follow through.
am i correct?

tbender
Jul 20 2004, 02:51 PM

Or Cacti, if you play in Texas.

pterodactyl
Jul 20 2004, 03:42 PM
discmelon,
That is exactly what most jump-putters would believe is the reason for using that style. Personally, I was tired of hitting the tray. And yes, it looks weird when you do it and people will make fun of you at first. When you get over that and start making a few, all will be believers.
DiscGraham's style works too. I use it when I'm outside of "my" jump-putt range or when there is poor footing or landing zone.
I always watch where I land when there are
sticks/rocks/holes near my landing zone.
You gotta stick the dismount!!! :D

Jul 20 2004, 05:51 PM
You let me show you how, and 2 strokes a round off your game...easily.
You gonna be at Worlds??? Just ask around for BS, somebody will point you in the right direction.

m_conners
Jul 20 2004, 06:05 PM
2 strokes? That may be a stretch big guy :cool:

Jul 20 2004, 07:36 PM

Or Cacti, if you play in Texas.

or most guys in norcal :o

jfsheffield
Jul 20 2004, 11:35 PM
2 strokes? That may be a stretch big guy :cool:

If you get a chance to get some tips from BS on jump putting, go for it. He has helped me with pointers and refining my technique and I'm starting to dail it in. It's a great shot to have in bag. He hits a lot of long putts that many would just lay up.

Jul 21 2004, 01:14 AM
when i was playing my rounds today i tried to work it into my game and the results were great. i hit a bird from about 100 feet using the jump putt. i can tell that its starting to develop and become more consistant. im going to bring out the video camera to make sure im not violating any stance regulations.

now i just have to get the 360 roller down :D

Chris Hysell
Jul 21 2004, 08:56 AM
If you get a chance to...................... He hits a lot of long putts that many would just lay up.

Lay up???? What does that mean?

riverdog
Jul 21 2004, 10:01 AM
Chris, it is the antonym for "50 foot comebacker". :D

Chris Hysell
Jul 21 2004, 10:06 AM
Chris, it is the antonym for "50 foot comebacker". :D

So no one has taught you guys touch? You can't putt from 100ft, give it a legitimate run, and leave it within 10-15ft? That's lame.

riverdog
Jul 21 2004, 10:14 AM
Okay, I'll bite. In the spirit of helping with your post count, my comment was meant as a smart assed remark, not a life lesson. ;)

Jul 23 2004, 03:44 AM
OG White Chocolate...you got an effective putt, but it isn't nearly as PRETTY as my jumper.
Much respect though.

I AM drunk right now. I'll tell you how I really feel in the morning.

Jul 23 2004, 09:10 PM
sick.

thumber
Jul 25 2004, 01:03 AM
I found a true jump putt very difficult to learn to keep consistent then
I picked up a technique which give me the extra distance desired and
it seems very repeatable.

I'd call it a "walk through putt"

Just take a step or two back and simple walk through and throw.
It keeps your foot on the ground when you release and gives you
a forward momentum that is greater.

Statement of nonliability:
However I do believe that in most situations a standing approach stroke
is a better shot.

But in Doubles the walk through putt makes for a good run.
Sooo Go for it. :D

pterodactyl
Nov 14 2004, 01:43 PM
Ya, what Chris said!

discgolfreview
Dec 01 2004, 03:11 AM
i finally got a video/frame breakdown of a jump putt posted:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/davefeldberg3.shtml