Jun 18 2004, 02:16 AM
Flutter?

Cause: w/in the arm speed to snap strength ratio...too much arm speed for that strength of snap.

Jun 18 2004, 03:07 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Sometimes I flutter a driver when I try to rip it too hard, but I flutter my putter way too much when going for distance. Then I notice hair on my palms. ;)

discgolfreview
Jun 18 2004, 03:19 AM
possible causes:

1) too much velocity given the amount of spin and nose down angle.
2) off axis-torquing.
3) i'm sure there's more but i'm tired and don't feel like trying overly hard to remember right now.

Jun 18 2004, 03:30 AM
Blake,
Do you know why it would happen more with an aviar than say a tbird?

discgolfreview
Jun 18 2004, 03:36 AM
an aviar has a much lower cruise speed than a teebird, and therefore, it is much easier to exceed the "stable" velocity maximum given it's nose angle and spin.

Jun 18 2004, 03:39 AM
aha. Now I'm beginning to understand why a snap/velocity balance is so important. thanx

Jun 18 2004, 03:41 AM
actually, do you think that effect might explain why high speed drivers are becoming so popular, because people can just crank them out with a lot of velocity and not worry so much about the snap needed to get bigd from a gliding disc?

discgolfreview
Jun 18 2004, 04:03 AM
nose angle on midranges/putters is very important too. get them too nose down and they'll almost always turn if you get enough velocity on them regardless of the spin. similarly, if they are very nose down and do not have a lot of velocity on them you can sometimes over-rotate them and get them turning as well.

as for high speed drivers being popular, i think it's a combination of factors. firstoff, if you started DG in 2000 (pre-valkyrie), the throw that you developed with the popular drivers of the era is quite different than if you started in 2003. similarly, if you started DG in 1997 (pre-eagle), in 1992 (pre-cyclone), etc... throwing styles represent the discs of the era. players usually end up adjusting to the styles needed for the longest flying discs available.

i see the high speed drivers being popular because 1) they fly very far and stable on low line drives and 2) people often like to throw what is "latest and greatest."

if your first driver was a champion beast, you can probably assume that you will develop differently than if it was a dx cheetah. similarly, since cheetahs are slower and much less nose angle dependent than the beast, you can assume that the cheetah thrower will probably have less trouble with turning over aviars.

the newest drivers are VERY nose angle dependent and must be thrown nose down. if you develop your style around this, you will be more apt to favor drivers that fall into your style.

the downside of it all is that many of the players who started 2002 to present find nearly all of the slower, older drivers "flippy" with their base throwing style.

dannyreeves
Jun 18 2004, 10:58 AM
That is why beginners need to learn to play with only a midrange and putter to develop good technique.

Jun 18 2004, 11:02 AM
I always used to flutter and turn over my slower discs (Rocs and Aviars). I was throwing them with too much speed and not enough spin. Spin is what keeps the disc stable. The slower discs require more spin at a given speed than a driver will. All I did to correct my "not enough spin" problem was **** my wrist when throwing the slower discs. I haven't seen flutter since. :)