sandalbagger
May 07 2004, 09:08 PM
A beautiful new course has been approved for Moraine State Park north of Pittsburgh, PA on I-79. The course is 30 minutes north of Knob Hill. It is being designed as a championship caliber course. Many par 4's and 2 par 5's. A true disc golf course. every hole has been thought out as to weather it's a 2 shot hole for a birdie 3, or a 1 shot hole for a birdie 2. And we have 2 1000 ft holes. A beautiful view of the lake. Consession stands, a beach and swimming area. THIS IS GONNA BE A HECK OF A COURSE. Better and tougher than Knob Hill. Design is completed, work has begun, hopefully baskets will be in by July. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!

sandalbagger
May 10 2004, 11:36 AM
this place is gonna be amazing!!!!! going up today to clear some limbs

Moderator005
Dec 14 2004, 12:13 AM
I just got back from Pittsburgh, I played Moraine State Park today in the snow. There are now 18 poleholes in the ground, with two tees and three pin positions on every hole!

This is easily the best course in Pennsylvania, and it may be tougher than Nockamixon. The par five sixth hole is indeed 1000 feet long. There are many beautiful par fours through the woods and over open terrain, with only a few par threes. The signature hole 15 plays about 800 feet downhill to the polehole situated in front of the lake. Crush a drive to the landing zone, and then another crush down to the polehole. After "The Beauty" comes "The Beast," an evil par five that drives uphill, through a narrow pine grove, then another 300 or so feet from the top of the hill. The long blue tees are the only way to experience this course and total par seemed to be around 67 or so. Think Codorus Park with its open holes and lake views and throw in some nasty Paw Paw or Pawtapsco wooded holes and that's the kind of course you can expect.

Three cheers to Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society and all the hard working volunteers, as well as all the polehole sponsors. You've got an unbelievable world class course there in Western Pennsylvania!

Courtesy of the PFDS website, (http://www.pfds.org/) below is map of the two planned courses at Moraine.

http://www.pfds.org/momap.jpg

Below is a table of our estimated pro pars from the long blue tees on the green course.

<table border="1"><tr><td>Hole</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>out</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>12</td><td>13</td><td>14</td><td>15</td><td>16</td><td>17</td><td>18</td><td>in</td><td>total
</td></tr><tr><td>Par</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>32</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>34</td><td>66
</td></tr><tr></tr><tr><td> </tr></td></table>

Also courtesy of the PFDS website, below is a picture of the signature 15th hole. Lining the lefthand side is an OB road. Lining the righthand side is a steep dropoff with heavy schule. A strong headwind may blow off the lake, which makes disc selection critical. If you thow straight ahead and just to the right of the curve in the road, you'll have a good look at the polehole off to the right and far below you, in front of the lake.

http://www.pfds.org/mo1.jpg

Moderator005
Feb 25 2005, 12:20 PM
Courtesy of J. Gary Dropcho, here's the most recent scorecard distances and pars for the Moraine S.P. Green course from the pro blue tees:

<table border="1"><tr><td>Hole#</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>OUT</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>12</td><td>13</td><td>14</td><td>15</td><td>16</td><td>17</td><td>18</td><td>IN</td><td>TOTAL
</td></tr><tr><td>Blue Tee/Green Center</td><td>300</td><td>441</td><td>243</td><td>385</td><td>225</td><td>934</td><td>270</td><td>564</td><td>345</td><td>3707</td><td>465</td><td>444</td><td>573</td><td>300</td><td>489</td><td>852</td><td>624</td><td>312</td><td>436</td><td>4495</td><td>8202
</td></tr><tr><td>PAR</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>32</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>34</td><td>66
</td></tr><tr><td> </tr></td></table>

I'm heading out next weekend to play the course again, can't wait!

Feb 25 2005, 05:01 PM
Sounds awesome! I wish this course and Knob Hill were in the ground when I was attending WVU.

Actually, I just wish I knew about disc golf when I was in college :(

sandalbagger
Mar 10 2005, 09:10 PM
bump to keep current. Thanks for all the kind words. We will be out there this Saturday at noon if anyone wants to join us for a round. No one could make it last week because one of our members got married last Saturday

Moderator005
Mar 10 2005, 11:24 PM
It was awesome last week. About 2-3 inches of virgin snow and only one lost disc in 36 holes, a crappy DX Stingray about 6 years old. I can't wait to play this course after the snow melts and some of the alternate pin positions are utilized.

sandalbagger
Mar 11 2005, 04:53 PM
Its going to be AWSOME isn't it?????? I feel so lucky to have been given this piece of land to desing a course on. It took 6 months of designing and redesigning, but I think we came up with a very fun, challenging and scenic course. And it is SOOOO private right now!!! I just love this place. Ill be there tommorrow. MORE SNOW!!!

sandalbagger
Mar 11 2005, 04:55 PM
I found a broken dx stingray out there the other day. I was amazed to see that people were actually playing the course!!!! It's kind of hard to find your way around right now, but at least we have signs telling you were to walk nextfor now. Tee signs and tees this spring. PFDO 2005 will be held at Moraine on Saturday and Knob on Sunday

Luke Butch
Mar 11 2005, 05:25 PM
You guys should run doubles or something there the night before Indiana to give the out- of towners coming into town the chance to play it. Then hopefully word would spread and the PFDO would fill early.

sandalbagger
Mar 16 2005, 09:44 PM
ill be out there. I live about 10 minutes from the course. I also will have room for camping on the 35 acres that Im living on.

sandalbagger
Mar 18 2005, 11:55 AM
Jeff LaGrassa I found your stingray at Moraine. Someone else muct have found it and they put in on top of one of the baskets. Ive got it with me. Are you coming to the Indiana Open or the Ironwood Open???

Moderator005
Mar 18 2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks Deitzel, there's a very good chance I'll be at the Indiana Open. Otherwise, I'll be out to Moraine over Memorial Day weekend for sure.

sandalbagger
Mar 22 2005, 10:18 PM
beautiful day out there today. High 40's and lots of sun. I saw 3 others on the course also, as well as the **** skunk that keeps showing up on Hole #2. It's onl;y a matter of time before my dog gets sprayed.

sandalbagger
Apr 13 2005, 04:02 AM
pins have been moved to the toughest pin placements. Best score we could muster from long tees the other day was a 70.

Moderator005
Apr 13 2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Chris!

Moderator005
May 24 2005, 05:09 PM
http://pfds.org/morainemap.gif

May 26 2005, 01:17 PM
TL,
can you give me directions from 76 to Moraine?
Thanks.

Moderator005
May 26 2005, 10:15 PM
Directions can be found here:
http://www.pfds.org/moraine.html

sandalbagger
Jun 01 2005, 12:05 AM
sorry I couldnt make it this weekend. How did you guys shoot out there???? im curious what kind of scores are being posted. Nothing too hot from us thats for sure. Out of 13 of us on Monday our best score from the short tees was a 66, and the worst was a 97. WOW!!!!! It's starting to shape up. Should be real nice by the PFDO.

sandalbagger
Jun 01 2005, 12:07 AM
also Long tee signs have been installed. though a few distances are wrong. The course will be more in the 8500- 8700 distance. Not 8200 as listed on the scorecard.

Moderator005
Jun 01 2005, 12:50 AM
Chris,

Sorry we couldn't meet up this time. Definitely next time I'm in town, okay?

The scorecard lists the distances from the Blue tees to the 'A' center positions. Although a few 'C' pins are shorter, most are longer and I agree that the actual course distance is likely much longer at around 8500-8700.

I played with three buddies and the best we could muster from the blue tees was an 80! We slogged through a brutal 4 1/2 hour survival round, and for every birdie three each of us took, there would be a blow-up hole where a six or seven was recorded. From the blue tees to all 'C' pins, this has got be one of the toughest disc golf courses in the world.

After some nourishment, we shot the white tees but the best score anyone posted was a 71 - we were all spent. Highlights from various players however included birdie threes on the par four hole#4, hole#15, and 18th holes, and a birdie four on the par five 16th hole.

sandalbagger
Jun 01 2005, 12:56 AM
distances listed are to the center of the green. Meaning somewhere in the middle of the 3 pins. With the c-pins, the course will play just over 9000 feet we believe

sandalbagger
Jun 01 2005, 02:13 AM
I think the best description for this course would be "pack a lunch" The concession stand by the course is now open also which has icecream, burgers, drinks and other stuff for sale. Sure is a nice convenience. the lake is also open to swim in.

71 from the whites huh. Guess my 69 from Monday wasn't too bad then.

I can't wait for the PFDO to see the scores from the top pros.

I do agree that this might be the toughest course out there right now. There aren't too many courses when you are just hoping that you get a 3 on the next hole.

Lots of work still needs to be done but we should have her in good shape for the PFDO. The golfer with the most endurance will win this year. Bring a lunch, it might be a good 5 hour round for us this year. Hopefully we will have as many spotters as possible.

Anyone else who has played, would you please post a few comments. Even if you hate it. Let me know why.

sandalbagger
Jun 17 2005, 04:40 PM
We are trying to raise some money for Tee Sign sponsors. $300 will get you a tee sign on the hole of your choice for 3 years starting Jan 1st. You will also get the remainder of this year for free. If you are interested or would like more info just PM me.

trbn8r
Jul 02 2005, 01:33 AM
I played Moraine for the first time today. The pins looked to be in the A placement and I shot the blues. I'd been there twice before. The first time was before the tees were marked so I couldn't find my way around. The 2nd time I didn't get to play but walked through the first 10 holes (couldn't find 11 that time). The signs are up now and there are a number of "next tee" signs that helped a lot. It was still tricky finding 11 but I've got it now /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The course is extremely challenging. I second that you should pack a lunch and bring plenty to drink! Play with someone if you can, cos' I spent a good bit of time looking for discs as many holes are blind to the tee. If anyone finds a yellow roc on 17 that'd be me!!

Fairway placement is critical on many holes. Errant tee shots are punished severely. Take advantage of the birdie holes - you'll need to bank the strokes. I felt like I was playing pretty well but a few holes ate me up and I walked off with a 63.

Signature hole 15 is absolutely gorgeous. Playing over 850' downhill, it gives you a beautiful view of the lake behind. Very posible to 3, just don't let your approach tail left too far or you're in trouble.

It's obvious that a lot of work has been done (and much, if not most I'll bet, by volunteers). It's far easier to get around and is getting a lot, lot cleaner than when I first visited. Oh, and the practice basket is in a wonderful setting, surrounded by stately, mature trees.

Will there be pads installed? And on a number of holes there were blue signs but no tee markers. I presumed to play next to the signs but it'd be good to have something there to indicate. Still in the works?

Finally, I'm about an hour away. Anyone wanting to come along sometime so we can find discs easier , let me know. :eek:

seamusk
Jul 03 2005, 12:00 PM
I've had a couple of opportunities to check out the course (or parts of it anyhow). I think it is phenomenal. Great work on the folks who put it together.

It is a bit challenging to not lose your disc if playing alone (which I was in both instances). And in fact if anyone finds a blue XL on the 3rd hole please let me know. Unfortunately I recently moved and forgot to update the contact info on my discs! It is ALL wrong... :(

I haven't been playing regularly so I did particularly bad on the course. A little better on my second visit. I haven't played 15 yet. I was a bit confused about where the pin was on 12 but it was getting towards dusk when I played it so I probably just wasn't seeing into the woods all that well. I can't wait to play a full 18. Those are beautiful woods to boot!

sandalbagger
Jul 08 2005, 05:00 PM
nice to hear some kind words about our course. We have been working tirelessly to get her ready for the PFDO. (one week away) Glad that the direction signs are helping people out.

All of the short tee signs are up now also. Though a few distances are wrong on the tees as some are from the original tees or pins.

Also, most of the work has been by volunteers, though the park has really stepped up in the ir efforts to get the course ready for the PFDO. THey are getting the grass cut nicely these days...though it will get even better ( sorry about 15 for now!!!!) they also have done some gravel tees for us, as well as a bridge on hole 18 for us. I would like to thank FRANK personally as he has been the biggest help ever from the parks. The man is a master with the backhoe. Oh that trees in the way??? get FRANK!!!!!!! The course really is shaping up. The best score from short to short is a 57, and the best from long to long is a 70. Can't wait for the PFDO.

If anyone ever wants to play a round here, I would be glad to show you around the course as I am one of the designers. In fact I would love to play with some new people up there so feel free to email me. deitzel at hotmail.com

sandalbagger
Jul 18 2005, 01:26 PM
The course played every bit as tough as I thought it would. though some of the routes the big arms took I could have never imagined before I saw them do it. Might have to change a few tees....or get them trees growing to stop those monster anhyzers over the trees on hole 6. Great weekend. PFDO rocked. Avery, Mccoy, Coda, Barry, Worm, Orum, Des, Burl, and elaine all making this a truly top class event.

Moderator005
Jul 18 2005, 01:41 PM
though some of the routes the big arms took I could have never imagined before I saw them do it. Might have to change a few tees....or get them trees growing to stop those monster anhyzers over the trees on hole 6.

Interesting. I first played the Moraine course the Monday after the baskets were installed. (last December) A tournament was held that Saturday and billed on the PFDS website as "Over the Top." To me, that signified that the course designers realized that a good many golfers would choose to go over the trees on many holes. The first time I played the course I could see that big arms would do just that. I say, if you've got the arm, more power to you. There's however only a limited amount of advantage it will give you, and a fine line between fairway and thick rough if you miss. Kudos to the guys that threw giant anhyzers on hole 6, but if they missed the fairway, they likely took higher scores than people who just threw Rocs down the middle. I'm willing to bet if you looked at the scorecards, that hole averaged near five, its intended par.

sandalbagger
Jul 18 2005, 05:56 PM
6 did play tough. Scores ranged from a 5 to a 10. The hole that really suprised me was hole 18. From both white and blue tees, several 8's were carded as well as a 10!!!! That really suprised me. Lots of Ob's.

sandalbagger
Jul 18 2005, 05:58 PM
as far as the "over the top" That was our way of saying this is as good as it gets. But there were quite a few over the top shots. On hole 6 on friday Barry threw a 500 foot anhyzer into the middle of the fairway from blues. Laced his second shot, and almost hit a 150 foot shot for a 3!!!!!

Jul 18 2005, 10:37 PM
I played Moraine back in late June. What a course!! I shot a 71 from the white tees to the short baskets, but I guess that isn't too terrible after reading this thread. I don't know if its quite as difficult as Idlewild in Cincinnati, but its awfully close, and the signature hole is great. I grew up in Harrisville, PA and often went fishing on Lake Arthur as a kid, so I love that view. It's great to know I have a place to play during family reunions.

Jim Kleissler, I found your XL on hole 3. It was about 9 feet up in the tree guarding the basket on the right, just a few feet from where my Buzzzzz was stuck. Unfortunately, I live in Dayton, OH so it might be difficult to get back to you. My younger brother goes to Geneva College in Beaver Falls, so maybe you could be in touch with him this fall if you really want it back. PM me if you want.

Anyway, great job on the course, PFDS. Are there still plans to add a second course to the park? If its anywhere near the quality of the current layout or Knob Hill, Pittsburgh would have a three course combination to rival anywhere else I've ever played.

sandalbagger
Jul 22 2005, 12:02 PM
we are still hoping to add another course. The land is there, it's just a matter of whether or not the park would be able to mow the grass on both of the courses. That's a lot of grass they have to cut already. Hopefully it will happen. It will be more of a wooded course if it does happen. There is also a nice pond and a possibility of using the lake on a hole or two. But for now, we have 1 amazing course.

Moderator005
Sep 07 2005, 04:38 PM
Chris, are the Moraine course records the following?

White Tees: 52, Matt Orum, 7/16/05, PFDO
Blue Tees: 60, Barry Schultz, 7/16/05, PFDO

Moderator005
Sep 20 2005, 05:00 PM
THANK YOU for finally adding the Moraine course to the PDGA Online Disc Golf Course Directory! (http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2161)

sandalbagger
Sep 22 2005, 04:09 PM
Those are the correct course records. I believe the SSA from the Blue Tees was a 67.4!!!! yikes. And yes it is finally in the course directory after 5 submissions. Im off to go play a round there right now myself. Everything has been moved back to the A-pins for the Winter months.

sandalbagger
Oct 20 2005, 02:14 PM
OK. We have a new monthly event taking place at Moraine State Park. It will be held the 1st Saturday of every month at 10:00 am. $10 entry fee. I believe we will also hold doubles at 2:00

sandalbagger
Nov 08 2005, 12:24 PM
You guys missed a great Monthly event this weekend. 15 pros, $150 in the pot. Here are the scores

A big "Thank you" to everyone who came out last
Saturday for the Moraine Monthly. The weather couldn't
have been nicer.

Singles (White tees / A-Pins)

OPEN DIVISION PURSE $150.00

1 J Gary Dropcho 57 $47.50
1 Jerry Gotcher 57 $47.50
3 Chris Deitzel 60 $17.50
3 Tim Wright 60 $17.50
5 Scott Heintzleman 62 $10.00
5 KB Clark 62 $10.00
7 Dave Olcott 63
7 Tom Moeller 63
9 Greg Meitus 64
10 Steve Kohman 65
10 Sid Olcott 65
10 Mike Macie 65
13 Jeremiah Libby 68
14 Carl Vesch 70
15 Chuck Vesch 74

ADVANCED DIVISION

1 Dex Ostrum 79 $10.00

INTERMEDIATE DIVISION

1 Chip White 77 $20.00
2 Jim Wilson 80

RANDOM-DRAW DOUBLES (Blue tees / A-Pins)

1 Chris Deitzel/Jerry Gotcher 58 $25.00
2 KB Clark/Mike LaGamba 59 $15.00
3 Dave Olcott/Sid Olcott 61
4 J Gary Dropcho/Greg Meitus 64

Next monthly is scheduled for Saturday, December 3!

Moderator005
Feb 08 2006, 01:34 PM
Played on Superbowl Sunday during a heavy snow squall and some driving winds. Had a great time despite the conditions, and we were the only ones on the course.

The course is looking better and better. Since I only get out to Pittsburgh every few months, the improvements are always easily noticed. There are some nice stone steps on hole 2, a sweet bridge on hole#18, and it looks like some fairways have been trimmed wider. I'll echo the sentiments that I've expressed before that the last remaining work needed on this course is a little drainage improvment on hole#2, and opening the approach on hole#12. A tree has fallen over the winter, making the approach shot even more obstructed. Even with a lot of trimming work, that approach will still be a difficult one. Right now there's just nothing to work with. Oh yeah, I'd also like to see alternate pin placements utilized on hole#17 and hole#18.

Regards,
-Jeff

gotcha
Feb 19 2006, 09:41 AM
Jeff...that fallen tree you mentioned on hole 12 was removed last week by some of our club members. What a HUGE difference that made! Simply removing that fallen tree has made the gap appear significantly larger. There has been discussion about felling one or two trees at the wood line of hole 12, but I think the consensus has been "let's hold off". The hole is designed as a par 4 and has been averaging par with the pin in the A position.

Last week we moved the majority of the pins to the B placements, many of which had never been played. We couldn't move 17, but we did move 18 to B which is a little bit shorter and tucked into the tree line along the right side. You may recall a tall, thin tree next to the OB creek (in the middle of the fairway) on hole 18. We've decided that one needs to go (which makes me happy).

Glad you could make it out. Hopefully, you can make one of our monthlies. We should have the 2006 dates posted on the pfds.org web site soon. Cheers!

Jerry

ck34
Feb 19 2006, 10:25 AM
You may recall a tall, thin tree next to the OB creek (in the middle of the fairway) on hole 18. We've decided that one needs to go (which makes me happy).

Excellent!

Moderator005
Feb 21 2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the update, Jerry.

That's great news about hole 18. From either tee, a drive that is able to thread the narrow wooded fairway and carry across the water hazard is one of the most exciting shots in all of disc golf.

gotcha
Feb 22 2006, 05:51 PM
I agree. In fact, we are considering using a portable Mach III to make hole 18 a bit more challenging during tournament play. You've played the c-pin...the back of the green drops down to a small OB creek. We're thinking about placing the portable basket on the other side of that small creek...in the open grass, just beyond the trees (the direction of the parking lot). Now a player will not only have to negotiate the creek in the mid-fairway, there will be the other, smaller creek to contend with on the approach shot. Chris Dietzel came up with that idea (I like his way of thinking). There will be no drop zone for the smaller creek, however.

I like the idea so much I will probably test that hole design with some of the monthly tourneys I run. If it's well received, we may use that design for the Ironwood Open in April. We'll see...

Jerry

Moderator005
Feb 22 2006, 11:46 PM
I like the idea as well - we've actually suggested the same thing amongst Bill Brooks and Paul Drake and I, but figured that a permanent pin position was never put there because of the parking lot/possible interference with pedestrians/park users there to swim...i.e. the park service didn't allow it.

I would watch your scoring averages though. From the short tee to normal pin positions, hole 18 is probably an easier par four, averaging somewhere around 3.5 - 3.8. (I'm guessing this because I'm a 950 golfer and I've threed it.) From the long tee, it's likely a solid par four averaging between 3.8 and 4.2. So far, I haven't seen the OB creek behind the polehole come into play. I've seen approach shots and aggressive putts trickle down there, with comebacker putts missed because of the elevation, but I've never seen a penalty shot there.

However, if you guys start utilizing this new polehole position, you may find that the scoring average and par on this hole may creep up, especially if the OB smaller creek and penalty shots start to really come into play on the approach shot. The last thing you want is a 'tweener' hole with an awkward par of 4.5, where a four doesn't feel like a birdie but a five feels like a bogey.

gotcha
Feb 23 2006, 09:03 AM
You are absolutely correct, sir. We would definitely expect the scoring average to increase due to the additional length and OB factor. This is one reason I want to test the idea during our monthly tournaments and possibly the Ironwood Open. It is a great finishing hole for a great course.

I purposely added a mandatory to Hole 4 to increase the scoring average. The mando prevents the righty hyzer bomb over the top. That hole is a par 4 and was designed to play up through the narrow opening in the trees. All last year I would watch people throw the big horkin' hyzer over the top and drop down through the tree limbs into the fairway for an easy approach to a birdie three. I was guilty of that as well...and nearly all of the touring players at the PFDO took that easy route. That is not how the hole was designed, however. Besides that, I believe the course favors a right handed player and hole 4 is one of the more difficult "lefty" holes. Allowing big arms to turn the "lefty" hole into a "righty" hole defeats the purpose of the design (IMO).

The mando received some complaints from locals...mainly big-arm advanced players. I suppose their complaints are legitimately backed by a lack of accuracy off the tee. Nonetheless, the TD for the Ironwood Open has already informed me that he will not be using the mando for the tournament. That's cool...he's the TD. I am still a proponent for making the mando permanent, however. I truly believe it is an integral part of the original design.

Jerry

ck34
Feb 23 2006, 09:14 AM
Perhaps a better way to handle it would be to mark an OB area where the righty hyzer shots land so there's tremendous risk taking that route. Then you avoid dealing with mando calls. If it's the hole I remember, where you tee off uphill and take a right turn into the woods, those playing the "normal" route wouldn't have to worry about the OB area except maybe a ricochet on their approach. When walking with J. Gary, there were a few trees that could be removed to make the main route more fair for reaching the designed landing area. If that hasn't been changed, making the main route more fair would also reduce the need for players to try and defeat the design.

Moderator005
Feb 23 2006, 09:52 AM
Jerry,
I am glad you are concerned about hole 4; I shared these same sentiments. While I am sometimes annoyed when a "cheater" route is found that can defeat the design of a hole and make it much easier, another part of me says that if some golfers have capabilities that others don't have then they should be rewarded for it. And that big hyzer route still comes with a significant risk/reward associated with it - a griplocked shot or one turned to the right by a headwind would be disastrous. Additionally, even a well executed drive does not automatically guarantee placement on the fairway; there's a lot of "plinko" that could occur.

I think what makes some people mad is that the mando was added after the fact. If the mando had been there from the start, people wouldn't have gotten used to it. So they are understandibly annoyed to have their big arm route taken away.

There are a number of places on the course where big arms have a large advantage, but not unfairly so. I've seen people go over the top on the approach on hole 8, instead of playing through the 'keyhole.' A big arm righty has a huge advantage on hole 10, especially to the long pin. Where I have to play a low screamer underneath the trees, other guys can just bomb over the top. Ditto for the approach on 14, and don't forget hole 6, the par five. I heard that during the PFDO, guys were throwing huge sky anhyzers over everything. Again, these are high risk, high reward shots that, while they may circumvent the design of a hole and make things easier, also have significant hazards associated with a poorly executed shot.

gotcha
Feb 24 2006, 11:43 AM
You forgot about the signature hole 15. This lengthy, downhill hole has a risky reward for big guns who can hurl a shot over the right side...the risk is landing short in the trees or turning over into the nasty shule. Either way, you're probably taking a stroke and might possibly lose a disc (I've been rewarded with three lost discs for taking that route).

Nonetheless, you've made some excellent observations and I agree with everything you're saying. There are several risk/reward opportunities on the course for a big arm player to use "distance" to their advantage.

That is precisely why I implemented the mando for the Moraine Monthly. Hole 4 is designed as a par 4 and the mando has raised the scoring average closer to that number...even with the pins in A position. More importantly, the big arm, right-handed players are now forced to play the hole as it was designed...the main focus of the design being an accurate tee shot. The concept is similar Duvall's triple mando on Hole 15 at Winthrop...a tee shot that requires players to demonstrate accuracy.

Jerry

p.s. The rumors of gigantic anhyzer shots on hole 6 are true! Chris Deitzel and I were showing Barry Schultz and Billy Crump the course prior to last year's PFDO. On the blue tee, Barry stepped up and crushed an anhyzer over everything on the left side which flexed out and landed squarely in the fairway. One of the most incredible shots I've ever seen. I'll never forget the look Chris and I gave each other after witnessing that shot...

sandalbagger
Mar 23 2006, 12:54 PM
I just wanted to say how much I LOVE THIS COURSE!!!!! and Jerry, even though you weren't there in the start of the design, you sure have steeped up and done some amazing work out there at the course. We will have to start marking the fairway of the new proposed hole 7. Im excited to see if we can make it work.

Moderator005
Mar 23 2006, 02:43 PM
We will have to start marking the fairway of the new proposed hole 7. Im excited to see if we can make it work.

Is there an issue with the current hole 7? One of my good friends, Paul Drake, is the sponsor of the hole, having donated $500, and would be very interested in these changes.

ck34
Mar 23 2006, 06:46 PM
If it's still like I remember, it was a blind shot to at least the left pin, and potential interference for whatever was straight ahead (maybe 9 or 10 fairway?) if a lefty or forehand shot sailed straight ahead.

Moderator005
Mar 23 2006, 11:21 PM
It's an elevated blind righty hyzer. There is often a headwind, which could turn discs over a bit. The tee for the next hole (#8) could come into play on a bad shot, but it would take a really deep straight poke (and horribly off-line shot) to interfere with hole#9 (the following is edited after Chuck's post below) or the tee of hole#10. I don't think newbies could throw that far and pros know to choose an overstable disc.

ck34
Mar 24 2006, 12:03 AM
At the time I toured it with J. Gary there was some concern about observed yanks long, not so much to the 8 tee or 9 pin area, but I think it was the 10 tee area. But perhaps some things have shifted. Righties throwing hyzer shouldn't be an issue although rec players are know to throw a lot of understable beat plastic that may go more straight than hyzer. Plus, lefties and forehand righties might not hold their turnovers and flex out. Apparently J. Gary indicated some of those shots have been seen.

gotcha
Mar 24 2006, 10:09 AM
We will have to start marking the fairway of the new proposed hole 7. Im excited to see if we can make it work.

Is there an issue with the current hole 7? One of my good friends, Paul Drake, is the sponsor of the hole, having donated $500, and would be very interested in these changes.

There is a safety issue with the current hole 7. Tee shots thrown in error can easily bring into play the gold tees for both 8 & 10 (especially hole 10). I believe there has always been a bit of concern regarding the proximity of 7's green and 10's gold tee and this concern elevated when we moved hole 7's basket from A to B pin just last month. Hole 7's green is simply too close to hole 10's tee.

Last night, four of us played a round from the white tees. My right-handed Whippet tee shot on hole 7 felt a little bit wide on release, but the over-stable disc had the necessary height and I thought it would hyzer in nicely to the green, leaving a 20'-25' putt. Instead, my disc landed within 20' from hole 10's gold tee.

That was not the first time we've seen a disc land in hole 10's tee area, especially when playing from the gold tee which is more of a blind shot. My group last year during the PFDO had to clear the hole 10 tee area due to an incoming disc from hole 7's gold tee. Thank goodness someone had the courtesy to yell "fore!". The disc actually landed on the tee and we had to wait for that golfer to play from that lie before we could drive hole 10.

I have not witnessed any lefties play hole 7, but I would surmise many of their turnover shots could easily fade into hole 10's tee area as well as hole 8's gold tee with a poorly executed drive. I have seen recreational sidearm (rh) shots hyzer into the gold tee area for hole 8. Fortunately, this is the only area on the course where safety is an issue and there is a lot of land to work with in regard to a redesign of the hole.

Only discussion of a redesign has taken place thus far, and those limited discussions have occurred within the last two weeks. As Chris referenced in his post quoted above, marking a "proprosed" fairway for hole 7 is something we need to do. The plan would be to schedule a date for interested parties to visit the site and provide recommendations on the redesign. That group would obviously include PFDS club members, the original course designers, the hole sponsor...and last, but not least, the State Park director).

There is a myriad of possibilities and we would value anyone's opinion and suggestion, especially the hole sponsor, Mr. Paul Drake. I do not believe I have Paul's contact information, but he can reach me or Chris through private messaging or email. Chris and I are both out at Moraine quite a bit as we have been clearing areas and limbing/removing trees for the Course Championship scheduled for April 8 and the Ironwood Open on April 23.

Moderator005
Mar 24 2006, 10:29 AM
Jerry, thanks for the update.

I have forwarded a copy of your post to Paul. I have not spoken to him since last weekend and just figured he would be curious about the changes. I'm sure he has full faith in whatever alterations the Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society and the course designers plan to make, especially for a safety concern. If you'd like to reach him, you can do so here: [email protected]

Thanks again, Jerry.

sandalbagger
Mar 24 2006, 12:46 PM
I think yesterday was a good day out thehre at Moraine. Nice fun round of golf with NOBODY else on the course at all. No mud!!! What a great course!!!! Im glad we walked the woods for the new proposed hole 7. I really think that is going to be a great hole. Slight anhyzer, slight downhill to a sloped green. Should be a good one. Maybe 300 feet?? I'm gonna try to get out there tonight to flag the edge of the proposed possible fairway.

Heck I'm the guy who designed hole 7 and I'm am all for these changes. It was an idea from the start, but we thought it would take too much work. Well now that we have the time and manpower, I think this hole is going to work into the flow of the course real nicely.

gotcha
Apr 11 2006, 09:53 AM
I'll echo the sentiments that I've expressed before that the last remaining work needed on this course is a little drainage improvment on hole#2, and opening the approach on hole#12. Even with a lot of trimming work, that approach will still be a difficult one. Right now there's just nothing to work with.

Jeff, you should be glad to hear that we plan to fell a few trees inside the opening of 12's wooded fairway. We've scheduled a work day for this Saturday, and removing four or five trees from hole 12 holds top priority on the list of things to do. We guarantee you will have something "to work with" next time you negotiate that hole!

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/04/10-1624045116T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=10-162404L&y=2006&m=04&t=jpg&rand=5116&srv=img2)

seamusk
Apr 16 2006, 12:00 PM
I haven't played a full 18 at Moraine but I definitely see what folks are talking about with hole seven and safety issues. It figures that out of the holes I did play that was the only one I birdied! I'm looking forward to seeing the changes from last summer when I come out for the PFDO. I'm honestly nervous about playing that course as I've only played a few rounds at Schenley so far this year and my arm is rusty as hell. I definitely do not have a big arm and my accuracy in driving and putting isn't quite there yet. But that is what makes Moraine such a good course - you can't cheat it like you can at Schenley or something (that course is so forgiving of bad drives!). All that said, my biggest fear at the moment is tiring out early.

Y'all should find a way to get some aerial shots of the course. Not sure how well that would work but I think it would be pretty cool! Maybe I should break out my tree climbing gear and take some photos from "above" some fairways. Not sure if that would be possible on some holes. Plus I can't take photos for nothing.

How have lowly intermediates like myself faired there in the past? Not well I presume.

gotcha
Apr 17 2006, 08:06 AM
Hi Jim!

The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society is hosting the "Ironwood Open" tournament at Moraine State Park this coming Sunday, April 23. Two rounds of 18 holes. Details are available on the PFDS web site. The tournament is almost full, however. As of this morning, there were only 4 spots available.

If you do not want to play the Ironwood Open, you should consider coming out to spectate. Likewise, the club could use another spotter if you'd like to volunteer. Either way, come out to the Lakeview course this Sunday!

As for your question regarding the amatuers, mid 70's to the low 80's is what I typically see posted by our local intermediate players (from the white tees). Endurance plays a big part in posting a good round at Lakeview. The key is to stay hydrated and bring food to snack on during the round.

I hope you can make it out on Sunday. Bring some friends!

seamusk
Apr 19 2006, 12:12 AM
Jerry,

Thanks for the helpful message. Yes, I am registered for the Ironwood Open which is sort of what prompted my post. I'm looking forward to it except in that I'm rusty as heck. Doing everything I can to get some of that rust out this week.

Thanks for the tips on score range and snacks and water. I made sure to pick up a couple more power bars today after reading your post. And water too!

That is good there will be spotters there. If I recall correctly there are quite a few shots where you cannot see the destination of your disc necessarily. At least 4 and 7 come to mind. Does that sound right? I've never played 15 which looks like a real treat!

Moraine State Park is beautiful which makes going there for a tournie so much more worth it.

Best,
jim k

sandalbagger
Apr 24 2006, 11:55 AM
What an awesome weekend we had. Thanks to everyone who came out to play. Hope you enjoyed the Pain at Moraine. Nice shooting Brad and Doug. See you all at the PFDO. Scores are posted.

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 01:49 PM
Well Jeremiah has done hole-by-hole averages from the Ironwood open. I will post them here in a little bit, but the average score of all the players from the gold tees (pros/advanced) was a 78.79 and the average scores from white were 71.22 (pros/advanced) and 84.97 for intermediate and women from white

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 01:52 PM
Here is the hole by hole average from GOLD TEES

3.21, 4.57, 3.30, 4.78, 3.17, 7.13, 3.56, 4.70, 3.75, 4.79, 3.21, 5.68, 4.32, 4.25, 5.11, 6.32, 3.75, 5.91 for a total of 78.79. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is all I can say, and we have the par set at 66!!!

Moderator005
May 11 2006, 02:22 PM
<table border="1"><tr><td>LAYOUT</td><td>1</td><td>2</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>6</td><td>7</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>OUT</td><td>10</td><td>11</td><td>12</td><td>13</td><td>14</td><td>15</td><td>16</td><td>17</td><td>18</td><td>IN</td><td>TOTAL
</td></tr><tr><td>White Tee/Green Center</td><td>297</td><td>396</td><td>228</td><td>339</td><td>228</td><td>675</td><td>312</td><td>459</td><td>327</td><td>3261</td><td>429</td><td>303</td><td>558</td><td>231</td><td>363</td><td>692</td><td>483</td><td>258</td><td>426</td><td>3743</td><td>7004
</td></tr><tr><td>Par</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>32</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>4</td><td>5</td><td>3</td><td>4</td><td>34</td><td>66
</td></tr><tr><td>Average</td><td>3.21</td><td>4.57</td><td>3.30</td><td>4.78</td><td>3.17</td><td>7.13</td><td>3.56</td><td>4.70</td><td>3.75</td><td>38.17</td><td>4.79</td><td>3.21</td><td>5.68</td><td>4.32</td><td>4.25</td><td>5.11</td><td>6.32</td><td>3.75</td><td>5.91</td><td>43.34</td><td>81.51
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td></tr></td></table>

Chris,

Are these the hole averages using all divisions? Typically, we used only averages from the Pro Open and Pro Masters divisions when building the Warwick, NY course. Over the years, we actually moved some tee positions and polehole positions based on these averages.

If you are trying to compare Pro Par and scoring averages, I would recommend using only Pro Open and Pro Masters scores.

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 04:02 PM
Player Name Tee Division 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Total
Pro and Advanced White 3.29 4.05 2.97 4.41 2.97 5.57 3.32 4.38 3.24 4.35 2.92 4.84 3.56 3.75 4.19 5.33 3.06 5.03 71.22
Intermediate and Women White 3.74 4.89 3.32 4.84 3.42 6.58 3.95 5.21 3.74 5.32 3.74 5.97 4.11 4.55 5.08 6.58 3.82 6.13 84.97
Combined White 3.46 4.37 3.10 4.57 3.14 5.95 3.55 4.69 3.43 4.71 3.23 5.27 3.76 4.05 4.52 5.80 3.35 5.45 76.40

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 04:03 PM
GOLD TEES pro and advanced only

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Total
3.21 4.57 3.30 4.78 3.17 7.13 3.56 4.70 3.75 4.79 3.21 5.68 4.32 4.25 5.11 6.32 3.75 5.92 78.79

This is for the pro and advanced field only here

Moderator005
May 11 2006, 04:20 PM
Again, it would be useful to see Pro Open and Pro Masters scoring only. Some of these hole averages seem awfully high. While there are many skilled Advanced golfers whose scores would be valid, there are typically also a large number of golfers with ratings less than 900 who play up in Advanced. Often they tend to "blow up" on the tougher holes and take exceptionally high scores that throws off the averages.

sandalbagger
May 11 2006, 04:40 PM
I will go through the scores and figure out just the pro averages. But, they are going to be quite high as well. Figuring I got 7th place with a 74 and 66.

It was nice to see that Val Jenkins got a 5 on hole 6 from golds.

gotcha
May 13 2006, 07:13 AM
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/05/13-0325392070T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=13-032539L&y=2006&m=05&t=jpg&rand=2070&srv=img2)

The Dogs in bloom on Lakeview Hole 15 (photo taken May 6, 2006).

sandalbagger
May 17 2006, 08:20 PM
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/05/17-1636057067T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=17-163605L&y=2006&m=05&t=jpg&rand=7067&srv=img2)

And again :)

sandalbagger
May 24 2006, 12:00 PM
I just wanted to give props to Jerry Gotcher for shooting a 55 the other day from the white tees to the A-pins.

Nice shootin Tex.

The pins will be at A-pins for one more week and then they will be placed in the PFDO configuration which should go something like this...........

B,C,B,C,A,C,B,A,C.......C,B,C,A,A,A,B,C,C

These pins should show off Moraine's beauty as well as make the course a real challenge.

seamusk
May 24 2006, 05:44 PM
just played it yesterday and had fun. and i'm now convinced that i'm turning into a total airhead in my mid-30s. I managed to leave my white Gateway Apache behind. I can't even remember where. Maybe I used it on 18. Anyway, if anyone sees it let me know as I'd like to pick it up. I expect to be playing there again sometime next week.

sandalbagger
May 24 2006, 08:24 PM
I'll keep an eye out for it.

seamusk
May 25 2006, 12:08 AM
thanks. But forget about it. I'm an even bigger bonehead than I thought. I found it tonight. Kind of hard to explain cause I found it in my bag which I searched at least 6 times before posting earlier. I have a small bag but it somehow got wedged in. Very odd.

gotcha
Jun 17 2006, 10:16 PM
A new course record was set today at Lakeview (Moraine State Park). Al Shack shot a 57 from the gold tees. :eek:
Previous record was 60 (Barry Schultz).

Moderator005
Jun 18 2006, 11:49 AM
A new course record was set today at Lakeview (Moraine State Park). Al Shack shot a 57 from the gold tees. :eek:
Previous record was 60 (Barry Schultz).

So the course records are now the following:

White Tees: 52, Matt Orum, 7/16/05, PFDO
Gold Tees: 57, Al Shack, 6/17/06, PFDO

sandalbagger
Jun 21 2006, 12:57 PM
57 from Golds!!!!!!!!! Just sick...sick I tell you!!!

Moraine looked better than ever this weekend. I had a great time as did most who attended. Those who had a great time made it very clear to is how much fun they had. Can't wait to see you all for next years PFDO

gotcha
Jun 29 2006, 09:57 AM
The Lakeview Disc Golf Course at Moraine State Park will be the third stop in the 2006 Steel City Championship Series .

Saturday, JULY 1

2 rounds of 18 holes (one short, one long). As a bonus, the Lakeview Beach and concession stand are now open so there's no reason to leave for lunch! Showers are available near the beach area as well (for those important Saturday night activities :D).

Please see www.PFDS.org (http://www.PFDS.org) for information on this tournament and other events in the Pittsburgh area.

gotcha
Jul 02 2006, 08:48 AM
July 1, 2006 ~ Steel City Championship Series

J Gary Dropcho aced Hole 13a during this event yesterday. This is the first recorded ace on the Lakeview course.
The white tee shot was also J Gary's first throw of the morning (aka "no warm-up"). Congrats, JGD! :D
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/07/02-0505277537T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=02-050527L&y=2006&m=07&t=jpg&rand=7537&srv=img2)
Reverse view of Hole 13a (white tee sign visible in background)

trbn8r
Jul 02 2006, 12:46 PM
J Gary Dropcho aced Hole 13a during this event yesterday. This is the first recorded ace on the Lakeview course.
The white tee shot was also J Gary's first throw of the morning (aka "no warm-up"). Congrats, JGD! :D

Way to go! That's a tight hole - most of us hit the 2nd tree off the tee. Then the third tree. Then the fourth...

Moderator005
Jul 02 2006, 01:02 PM

Way to go! That's a tight hole - most of us hit the 2nd tree off the tee. Then the third tree. Then the fourth...

That is really an amazing throw. It's a gauntlet shot, but it's uphill and narrows to a pinchpoint halfway down the fairway. I've put shots onto the green but never chain high. Awesome!

sandalbagger
Jul 02 2006, 06:00 PM
NICE. I had a feeling this would be the first aced hole on the course. I Skipped one of the right side rim a few months back, and I had seen 2 other shots hit the basket. Nice to see that someone finally got an ace. Only took a year. :)

Who won the Steel City event??? scores??

Moderator005
Jul 22 2006, 03:55 PM
J. Gary shot a 1021-rated round of 54 at Warwick this morning, and is currently in third place in Masters, only 2 strokes back.

Kick some butt, J. Gary!

sandalbagger
Jul 24 2006, 10:53 AM
there is a 3rd set of tees that has just been installed at Moraine. They are the new white tees (900 rated) and are considerably shorter and easier than the blue (old white) and gold tees. Should make the course more friendly to newer players.

gotcha
Jul 31 2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.regatta-at-lake-arthur.com/

What do boat races, helicopter rides and disc golf
have in common? The answer is the 2006 Regatta at Lake Arthur!

This weekend, August 5 & 6, the Pittsburgh Flying Disc
Society will be participating in the Regatta festival
at Moraine State Park in Portersville, PA
(approximately 1-hr north of Pittsburgh). Our club
will be promoting the par-66 Lakeview course and the game of
disc golf in general.

Each year, folks from all over the area flock to the
shores of Lake Arthur for boat & kayak races, Kiddie
shows, free music concerts, bike trail rides, arts &
craft vendors, hot-air balloons, etc...just to name a
few of the all-day activities. Last year, approximately 40,000
visitors attended the 2005 Regatta at Lake Arthur.
This year, disc golf has been added to the official schedule of events!

The PFDS will have a tent set up near Hole 1 at the
Lakeview Beach parking lot. We will be providing
maps/scorecards of the Lakeview course as well as a
regional map identifying our other local area courses.
The PDGA, Innova Disc Golf and the DGA have
provided us with several informational and merchandise
brochures to hand out to interested park visitors. In addition, the PFDS will have golf discs
available for sale as well as used, "loaner" discs for
anyone who would like to give our disc golf course a try!
Thanks to Innova and the Traveler targets they awarded the PFDS,
we'll be able to offer a short, beginner's course around the practice basket area for families with
small children. It's disc golf fun for everyone!

Please be advised the Moraine Monthly tournament is scheduled for Sunday, August 6 at 10:00 am.
We are asking for your attendance at this tournament!
The Regatta organizers have requested us to host our
monthly disc golf tournament during the festival. Due to
the West Virginia Disc Golf Classic (1-day, C-tier) on
Saturday (Aug 5), we have moved the Monthly to Sunday
morning. As a result, there will be no Sunday Devotional at Knob Hill.

If you are interested in coming out this weekend, we
could always use additional volunteers to help promote
the sport we know and love. Of course, if you simply
want to come out with a friend, play a round of 18 holes,
and then enjoy the other festival activities,
you're more than welcome to do so!
Your presence on the course and at the Regatta
will help to make this whole experience a success!

Please, mark your calendar to visit Moraine State Park this weekend
and truly consider playing in the Monthly on Sunday morning at 10:00 am.
We sure hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Jerry Gotcher
PDGA 7956

gotcha
Aug 04 2006, 08:06 AM
Discraft mailed us several brochures and a large banner to display during this weekend's <font color="blue"> Regatta at Lake Arthur </font> , August 5 & 6. Check out the long list of <font color="blue"> FREE </font> events and activities, including disc golf at the Lakeview course:

www.pfds.org (http://www.pfds.org)

Thanks Discraft! :D

Moderator005
Aug 07 2006, 12:05 PM
there is a 3rd set of tees that has just been installed at Moraine. They are the new white tees (900 rated) and are considerably shorter and easier than the blue (old white) and gold tees. Should make the course more friendly to newer players.

That's great to hear - I know recreational and novice players will really appreciate that. My wife really loves the short tees at Knob Hill, and when I'm playing the long blue tees, our scores are about the same: a mix of threes and fours. It makes for good competition!

This will be a good way to get her to play Moraine.

gotcha
Aug 08 2006, 01:43 PM
The 2006 Regatta at Lake Arthur was a huge success!
The Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society was present during
the entire event, promoting both the 18-hole course at
Moraine State Park as well as introducing disc golf to
hundreds of park visitors. Last year, an estimated
40,000 people attended the two-day festival which is
located about an hour north of Pittsburgh, PA.

The PFDS tent was located next to hole 1 and the
entrance to Lakeview Beach. This location created a
lot of exposure for the disc golf course simply
because every car that entered and exited the parking
area passed our exhibit. Brochures were available to
the public through the courtesy of Discraft, Innova,
Disc Golf Association as well as the Professional Disc
Golf Association. In addition, the PFDS provided
Lakeview scorecards and maps to our other area disc
golf courses.

Most of people we spoke with were pleasantly surprised
to learn that the par 66 course at Moraine State Park
is open to the public year round and is free of
charge. Several folks had read about the disc golf
exhibit in a local newspaper story regarding scheduled
events during the Regatta. A few people mentioned that
they had heard about the disc golf course on the local
radio, too!

For demonstrations and putting clinics, we set up a
practice area in the grass behind our tent. Using
Innova Traveler baskets donated to the PFDS by Innova
Disc Golf and Carolina Flying Discs, we had people of
all ages throwing golf discs for the first time. After
receiving a few throwing tips from local pros like KB
Clark, many folks would borrow a few loaner discs and
actually play the course. The recent addition of white
tees allowed Regatta visitors to enjoy a more
beginner-friendly disc golf experience. As you can
tell by the photos, fun was had by all!

In addition to our successful promotional efforts, the
Moraine Monthly disc golf tournament was held on
Sunday morning with twenty-three players in
attendance:

Open Division

KB Clark 58
Rich Givens 58
Jerry Gotcher 58
Curtis Spence 60
Jeremiah Libby 61
Chris Deitzel 62
Tim Wright 65
Scott McIntyre 74

Advanced Amateur

Leo Liller 62
Larry Gioia 65
Greg Meitus 65
Scott Heintzleman 65
Alex Fore 67
Jeff Jameson 70

Intermediate Amateur

Jim Wilson 65
Chip White 69
Mike Hoeg 77
Matt 78
Bryan 79
Rex 79
Fred 81
Cory 94

Amateur Women

Crystal 83

Following lunch, a few golfers stuck around to play a
round of random doubles. Congratulations is in order
for the winning team of Larry Gioia and Rich Givens.
Competing from the 1000-rated gold tees, this team
posted a solid round of 59!

Last, but not least, I would like to thank everyone
who made this event a success:

Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation & Natural Resources
Regatta at Lake Arthur Committee
Pittsburgh Flying Disc Society
Professional Disc Golf Association
Innova Disc Golf
Carolina Flying Discs
Discraft
Disc Golf Association

I can confidentally say we are already looking forward
to next year's Regatta at Lake Arthur!

Sincerely,

Jerry Gotcher
PDGA #7956

Click on the photo to enlarge image to full screen...
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1805588218T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180558L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=8218&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806038055T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180603L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=8055&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806086966T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180608L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=6966&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806193155T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180619L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=3155&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806294373T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180629L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=4373&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806397925T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180639L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=7925&srv=img2)
http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/08/07-1806444605T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=07-180644L&y=2006&m=08&t=jpg&rand=4605&srv=img2)

gotcha
Sep 12 2006, 06:11 PM
Moraine Monthly
Saturday ~ September 16
Singles @ 10:00 am ($10 entry)
Doubles @ 2:00 pm ($ 5 entry)

Play one or both events. Nobody has carded an eagle during the monthly and the accumulative Eagle Pot stands at $73!
The weather is supposed to be nice with no rain at Moraine!
http://img4.glowfoto.com/images/2006/09/12-1436406703T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=12-143640L&amp;y=2006&amp;m=09&amp;t=jpg&amp;rand=6703&amp;srv=img4)

Moderator005
Sep 12 2006, 09:25 PM
Moraine Monthly
Saturday ~ September 16
Singles @ 10:00 am ($10 entry)
Doubles @ 2:00 pm ($ 5 entry)

Play one or both events. Nobody has carded an eagle during the monthly and the accumulative Eagle Pot stands at $73!
The weather is supposed to be nice with no rain at Moraine!

Arrrgggh....in Pittsburgh last weekend and again the weekend of Sept. 22-24th... :(

gotcha
Oct 11 2006, 10:01 AM
MORAINE MONTHLY
Saturday, October 14, 2006

Singles (blue tees) @ 10:00 am ($10 entry)
Doubles (gold tees)@ 2:00 pm ($ 5 entry)

The singles round and the random doubles round are two separate events. Play one or both. Due to the autumnal color change, October is the most "scenic" monthly of the year. Bring a camera...and a friend! :)

I hope to see you there...

Jerry

p.s. The Eagle Pot is currently at $80.00!

[QUOTE]
LAKEVIEW DISC GOLF COURSE
Moraine State Park
Portersville, PA

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/04/12-0609465467T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=12-060946L&y=2006&m=04&t=jpg&rand=5467&srv=img2)
A reverse view of hole 2 with basket in the a-pin.

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/04/10-0817119067T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=10-081711L&y=2006&m=04&t=jpg&rand=9067&srv=img2)
Not a long one, but hole 4 requires accuracy from the long tee. The green is deep inside the trees...

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/04/10-0724579172T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=10-072457L&y=2006&m=04&t=jpg&rand=9172&srv=img2)
Another view of hole 15 taken last autumn...

gotcha
Nov 09 2006, 08:50 AM
Moraine Monthly
Saturday, November 11

Singles @ 10:00 am ($10 entry....18 holes from blue tees)

Doubles @ 2:00 pm ( $5 entry.....18 holes from gold tees)

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/04/10-0752102929T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=10-075210L&y=2006&m=04&t=jpg&rand=2929&srv=img2)
Reverse view of Hole 15

http://img2.glowfoto.com/images/2006/05/20-0416197200T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=20-041619L&y=2006&m=05&t=jpg&rand=7200&srv=img2)
Reverse view of Hole 14

Jeff_LaG
Nov 09 2006, 05:18 PM
Happy Birthday, Jerry!

gotcha
Nov 28 2006, 10:05 AM
Moraine Monthly
Disc Golf Tournament
Saturday, December 2

10:00 am (Singles....blue tees) $10 Entry fee

2:00 pm (Doubles...gold tees) $5 Entry fee

Play one or both events. Eagle pot is approximately $100 and is up for grabs! Please be advised the Lakeview Beach parking lot is closed for the season, thus, we park outside the entrance and start on hole 5. Hope to see you there!

JG

gotcha
Jan 04 2007, 11:31 AM
2007 Moraine Monthly Tournament Schedule
Moraine State Park, Portersville, PA

Jan 6
Feb 3
Mar 3
Apr 7 (Lakeview Course Championship)
May 5
Jun 2
Jul 7
Aug 11
Sep 8
Oct 13
Nov 3
Dec 1

Please be advised dates are tentative and are subject to change.

Moraine Monthly start times and entry fees:

Singles at 10:00 am (blue tees)....$10 Entry

Doubles at 2:00 pm (gold tees).....$ 5 Entry

The Eagle Pot is an additional $1 during the morning Singles round. Currently, the Eagle Pot is capped at $100. Until someone scores an eagle during the monthly, the $1 entries will go toward the Lakeview concrete tee pad fund. Once the $100 Eagle Pot is claimed, the $1 entries will then revert to builing the Eagle Pot.

Visit www.pfds.org (http://www.pfds.org) for directions to the course as well as info on our other great courses, tournaments, etc.

gotcha
Mar 20 2007, 09:09 AM
http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2007/03/20-0443081144T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=20-044308L&y=2007&m=03&t=jpg&rand=1144&srv=img3)

Visit www.pfds.org (http://www.pfds.org) for tournament details and registration info.

gotcha
Mar 20 2007, 09:34 AM
http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2007/03/20-0443081144T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=20-044308L&y=2007&m=03&t=jpg&rand=1144&srv=img3)

Visit www.pfds.org (http://www.pfds.org) for tournament details and registration info.

gotcha
Jun 08 2007, 01:05 PM
Post deleted by gotcha

gotcha
Jun 08 2007, 01:06 PM
Freshly mowed grass at Moraine....plus the Lakeview Beach &amp; food concession stand is now open for the season.

The Moraine Monthly (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Number=691071&amp;Main=631058#Post6 91071) is scheduled for this Saturday, June 9.

jebbeer
Jun 08 2007, 03:57 PM
I played up there last year for the Supertour. Its funny, when I was there I was hating on the Moraine course, but as soon as I left I kept thinking about it and came to the conclusion it was one of the best courses I've ever played. And that Signature hole is one of the top three I've seen. Kudos to your club and parks DEPartment.
Jeb Bryant

Jeff_LaG
Jun 08 2007, 04:15 PM
That's a common progression. It may kick your butt at first, but eventually you realize that this is one of the best courses in country. :cool:

sandalbagger
Jun 11 2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks Jeb, that means alot to me as I was one of the designers of the Moraine course. And you should see how nice it looks this year. A lot of limbing of lower branches has been done, and the course is just looking better and better. I couldn't imagine a better place to spend a day and play disc golf.

gotcha
Jun 11 2007, 11:12 AM
The Lakeview Disc Golf Course at Moraine State Park brought me back into the game. I dropped out of the sport during 2003-2004 as I became involved in other interests/hobbies. J Gary Dropcho and Chris Deitzel, two of the Lakeview course designers, would often call me during that hiatus and ask me to check out the new course...which I never did. Well, I finally gave in to their requests and during the summer of '04, I made the 23 mile trip to Moraine State Park. It was the day a group of club members were proposing and marking pin placements. I instantly fell in love with the course...and back then I believe the initial design yielded a par of 62 or so. Over those next few weeks/months, the course designers tweaked the overall design to give us the present day configuration of a gold-level par 66 course which includes two par 5's, eight par 4's and eight par 3's. Based upon the fact that the SSA is around 67 (1000-rated gold tees) and 61 (950-rated blue tees), I would say the course designers did an excellent job in determining par for the course. In addition, a third set of tees (900-rated white tees) were added last summer and we are seeing more and more recreational players utilizing the course as a result.

Lakeview at Moraine State Park brought me back into the fold of this life-long sport we all know and love. I cannot thank the PFDS designers enough for creating one of the greatest disc golf courses I've ever had the privilege to play.

Jeff_LaG
Jun 11 2007, 04:22 PM
The Lakeview Disc Golf Course at Moraine State Park brought me back into the game. I dropped out of the sport during 2003-2004 as I became involved in other interests/hobbies. J Gary Dropcho and Chris Deitzel, two of the Lakeview course designers, would often call me during that hiatus and ask me to check out the new course...which I never did. Well, I finally gave in to their requests and during the summer of '04, I made the 23 mile trip to Moraine State Park. It was the day a group of club members were proposing and marking pin placements. I instantly fell in love with the course...and back then I believe the initial design yielded a par of 62 or so. Over those next few weeks/months, the course designers tweaked the overall design to give us the present day configuration of a gold-level par 66 course which includes two par 5's, eight par 4's and eight par 3's. Based upon the fact that the SSA is around 67 (1000-rated gold tees) and 61 (950-rated blue tees), I would say the course designers did an excellent job in determining par for the course. In addition, a third set of tees (900-rated white tees) were added last summer and we are seeing more and more recreational players utilizing the course as a result.

Lakeview at Moraine State Park brought me back into the fold of this life-long sport we all know and love. I cannot thank the PFDS designers enough for creating one of the greatest disc golf courses I've ever had the privilege to play.

I'm probably the biggest fluffer of Moraine State Park out there. It is simply the best course in the state of Pennsylvania, which is really saying something considering the world class courses the state has to offer such as Nockamixon State Park, Knob Hill, Little Lehigh Parkway, Tyler State Park, IUP College Lodge, Codorus State Park, and the new course at Deer Lakes Park. Over the last 12 years, I've also played over 150 different disc golf courses across the United States and Canada, and Moraine State Park is in the top 5 of those. It is really one spectacular course!

I was out at the course over this weekend, and the course had been recently mowed and looked spectacular. It was like our our own private country club out there! With all this being said however, I still think there are some areas for improvement. I know considerable headway has been made on hole 12 over the years, but at the risk of flogging a dead horse, I still think that the approach on hole#12 needs to be opened. When I first played this hole three years ago, I commented to friends that even if every tree in the middle of the corridor were removed, it would still be a difficult pro par four, especially to the C pin. You have the severe slope downhill and trees on the right hand side, and the hill on the left framing the corridor. If the approach to the basket where opened up, it could likely be my favorite hole on the course, which is really saying something considering how much I like holes 2,6,8,9,10,15,16 &amp; 18. But as it stands, hole#12 will always feel like you are throwing into a wall of trees on the approach. Even a perfect shot to the landing zone from either tee leaves a "chuck-n-pray" to reach the polehole.

Additionally, while I always thought hole#14 was a little unconventional, it never annoyed me until this latest round. While the new fairway on the left is nice, other than for lefthanders, I can't imagine anyone actually using that lane. For right-handers, I wonder what could be gained by taking that fairway choice, and the hyzer lane still seems like the way to go. With regards to the approach, I get the idea that the course designers were going for, with the island of trees and the two thin routes around the outside, but perhaps it was because the basket was in the C pin position, this approach shot just seems too narrow. I'm wondering now if this hole would make a much better par 3, with the A and B polehole positions moved in front of the island of trees. (and perhaps a 'C' pin inside it) The choice of fairways off the tee would likely be more interesting then; perhaps the possibility of scoring a deuce would encourage many to use the new fairway on the left. Making hole#14 a par 3 seems like a good idea especially considering that it is followed by an 850-foot pro par four and a 625-foot pro par five, and this would help to balance the difference in par between the front and back nines. The course currently plays par 32 on the front and par 34 on the back - this change would make it 32 and 33.

sandalbagger
Jun 12 2007, 10:09 AM
Jeff. 14 does play very tough with the pin to the left. When it's in the center pin, the corridors are very fair. It is statistically the easiest par 4 on the course. That being said, we have been talking about making it into a par 5 with another 150 feet or so added to the hole so that the green will end up near 15 Gold tee.

And as for 12, I agree and disagree. It is an easy par 4 at A-pin, and almost a par 5 at C-pin. Which is not really what we were going for....but........ There is always room to improve. I always think about cutting down one or two more trees, but then these newbies come out and lace there shot through the gap and I quickly change my mind. Same could be said for 16. We have flagged and unflagged trees so many times it's kinda funny.

Thanks for all the comments. And Jerry it's a **** good thing you came out here and checked this course out because I love playing golf with you. It's always a great time. And to think, if you wouldn't have came out to see the course, you would have never seen Idlewild either!

gotcha
Jun 20 2007, 02:22 PM
http://img5.glowfoto.com/images/2007/06/19-1837027247T.jpg (http://www.glowfoto.com/viewimage.php?img=19-183702L&amp;y=2007&amp;m=06&amp;t=jpg&amp;rand=7247&amp;srv=img5)
Lakeview Disc Golf Course, Moraine State Park ~ Hole 15 (par 4) 852'

The baskets at Moraine State Park were moved into tournament position today. Here's the layout for this year's PFDO:

1a 2c 3b 4c 5a 6c 7a 8a 9c 10c 11b 12c 13c 14c 15a 16b 17c 18d

Knob Hill pin positions will be posted at a later date.

You can pre-register for this event at www.pfds.org (http://www.pfds.org)

sandalbagger
Jun 21 2007, 04:10 PM
So I was looking through the discraft website and found that Elaine King, Matt Blakely, Tyler Horne and Brad Schick all list Moraine in there top 5 courses!!!! I'm sure there are more also. That means so much to me. I love this park, the course and the people.