Apr 18 2004, 05:56 PM
I have come across numerous terms in these forums that I dont understand, I am new so relativly nothing makes sense :).

Is there a glossary or a Disc Golf Dictionary of some sorts?

here are a few of the words :

hyzer
Anhyzer
Difference between Overstable and Understable
Roller
air bounce
off-axis torque.
glide

can anyone help me out?

flynvegas
Apr 18 2004, 06:04 PM
Go to disclife.com There's a list on that web site.

Apr 18 2004, 06:27 PM
here are a few of the words :

hyzer
Anhyzer
Difference between Overstable and Understable
Roller
air bounce
off-axis torque.
glide

can anyone help me out?

These descriptions will be from a right hand back hand point of view. just reverse the left and rights if you throw lefty or sidearm.

Hyser: A throw where the disc flies to the left for most of the flight.

Anhyser: A throw where the disc flies Right for most of its flight.

Over/Under stable: Overstable means the disc will have a strong tendancy to pull to the left. Understable means the disc will not pull to the left as hard, but it is also prone to turning right in the high speed portion of its flight.

Roller: A shot where the disc is thrown at an angle so that it rolls on the ground on its edge.

Air-Bounce: A shot where the disc will be angeled downward and suddenly soar up, as if it bounced of something.

Off-axis torque: Its a term for explaining power delivey. If there is no off-axis torque, the disc will fly steady and not wobble. If there is alot of off-axis torque, the disc will flutter alot and usually die.

Glide: term used for how the disc holds a line after it slows down. A disc with alot of glide will hold the line almost to the ground. A disc with little glide will tend to drop off or fly off line when it slows down.

Apr 18 2004, 10:31 PM
Air-Bounce: A shot where the disc will be angeled downward and suddenly soar up, as if it bounced of something.

That's an air bounce in freestyle and ultimate. In disc golf, "air bounce" refers to throwing a disc nose up, rather than nose down, so that it rises quickly, then stalls and drops almost straight down rather than hyzering out. Air-bouncing a driver is generally a bad thing since it robs you of distance and accuracy. With approach discs and putters, however, an air bounce can be an effective approach or upshot, since it allows you to take a run at the basket without risking a long comeback putt.

slo
Apr 19 2004, 02:17 AM
Is there a glossary or a Disc Golf Dictionary of some sorts?

I can't say when, but Disc golf Hall of Famer Stancil Johnson has precisely such a "Disc Golf Pictionary" planned...that might even be the working title. I think he plans to release it sometime this year.

Apr 19 2004, 08:27 AM
Don't forget about "teescum"...last person on the pad! And it's sister term..."DFL".

Apr 20 2004, 04:09 AM
I always had problems with the difference between anhyzer/hyzer and overstable/understable. Just remember that anhyzer/hyzer is a property of YOUR THROW. Mostly determined by the angle of your release. Overstable/understable is a property of THE DISC. Discs are manufactured in such a way as to be either over or understable. This means you can throw an overstable disc with anhyzer angle. This disc will begin to go right (for a right hand backhand throw) because you released with anhyzer but if given enough time will fade back to the left (because it is overstable and was manufactured to do just that).

bigchiz
Apr 21 2004, 02:12 PM
A mnemonic my wife used to learn overstable and understable is "over" is a short word and has the same number of letters as "left". And "under" is a longer word with the same number of letters as "right". This only applies to right-hand-back-hand (RHBH) throws.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
over stable
left

under stable
right
</pre><hr />