Apr 02 2004, 04:09 PM
Hey Guys,

I am still working on terminology - Can someone explain what a Chicken Wing is???

Apr 02 2004, 04:56 PM
it's those things you eat while at Hooter's.

ryangwillim
Apr 02 2004, 05:09 PM
Hold the disc like a normal backhand throw.
Turn the disc upside down.
Turn your wrist over so that the disc is right side up again (index finger on the edge of the disc).
Straighten your arm and put it behind you.
Swing your arm like a wide punch and release with a bit of a wrist flick.

It is really hard to explain, but that is kinda the concept.

Apr 02 2004, 11:31 PM
I just broke my arm reading that desription...

Pics / video anywhere??

exczar
Apr 02 2004, 11:56 PM
Chicken wing = Overhand Wrist Flip. Does that help?

Apr 03 2004, 12:12 AM
Eh, just ignore me, I'm a n00b who still can't throw a disc RHBH consistently...just trying to get a handle on the lingo :)

I'm sure if I go through the description tomorrow when I'm relatively awake...it'll make sense. Thanks for the help though :)

rhett
Apr 03 2004, 12:19 AM
Just remember: it looks as goofy as it sounds. But it works! More for a reverse-spin frestyle/catch throw than a golf shot, but it works.

Blarg
Apr 03 2004, 03:40 AM
Scooterb23:

Here ya go:

Put your fingers on top of the disc and your thumb under the rim. The inside of your thumb (the part closest to your index finger) is touching the inside of the rim. This is the same grip you would use to pick up a disc with your thumb under it.
Now you're ready for the throw. It's very similar in form to throwing a discus (the original flying disc!). **** your wrist for 'snap.' Swing your arm back and whip it up and out and forward. Lead with your shoulder and you'll find that if you bend your elbow a bit you'll get a lot of 'snap.' People call it the 'chicken wing' because that's sort of what your arm looks like when you throw it.
It's a great throw with an Ultimate disc, but few, if any, pros use it much with golf discs.

Apr 03 2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks! The discus reference finally made a light go on in my head :)

jconnell
Apr 03 2004, 10:59 AM
Some asked for video of a chicken wing... here is one (http://www.nefa.com/dcontest/chickenwing.mpg).

The man who made the chicken wing famous (at least on this here discussion page), Morgan Wright throws his chicken wing. Quality is grainy and you can't see the disc's flight, but you get the gist of the mechanics involved.

How I came to have video of Morgan throwing a chicken wing is another story. :p

--Josh

Apr 03 2004, 11:47 AM
wow, that's the strangest thing I've ever seen !
and the throw's a little goofy, too.

I coulda sworn he overthrew the hole...........landing somewhere in the mangroves.

crotts
Apr 03 2004, 11:58 AM
it's a great throw to master. i have 3 holes at my local course that are perfect for it.

compared to the video you can start out like that but more often than not the disc is going to do a U turn in air. i'd recommend keeping your arm straight till right before release and having your arm at least at equal height if not slightly above your shoulder.

of course if your good with a backhand yoiu can leave this throw for the ultimate field

: ) :

crotts
Apr 03 2004, 12:22 PM
also dont do a run up, just plant your feet and use your upper body. you will have a lot more accuracy.

morgan
Apr 03 2004, 11:09 PM
If I knew he was going to make me a movie star I would have tucked my shirt in.

Moderator005
Apr 04 2004, 11:08 PM
resisting...urge...to comment...

:D

morgan
Apr 05 2004, 12:56 AM
What an assjack

Apr 05 2004, 01:37 AM
I just broke my other arm watching that video. You can actually throw a disc like that?? Wow.

Apr 05 2004, 09:58 AM
Tom Edward's from MD. throws that way I believe he is in the 350-360 range with it, I've seen him do it for 15 years and every time I see it I still tell him...."You throw funny"

Now if we can just get him to do a turnaround overhand wrist flip...I'd die laughing!

Apr 05 2004, 12:01 PM
Nothing odd about it at all. One of the many throws I used way back when I was a teen playing catch with Frisbees.

It looks harder on the shoulder joint than BH or FH.
Nice option to have for reverse spin.

exczar
Apr 05 2004, 02:20 PM
It's my throw of choice when I am feeding someone some counter. I tried MAC'n a sidearm, but could never get the timing right.

One of my fav throws is a OWF air bounce. Dip your shoulder down and get the disc nose up, and it usually comes off nice.

ryangwillim
Apr 05 2004, 06:20 PM
I know a guy named Doug who uses a chicken wing (buttcrack paperboy ;) ) on all of his drives. It amazed me at first and I became very intrigued so I started practicing it. I have an armspan of 6'7" so when I do it it looks utterly ridiculous, and I have even thrown chicken wing in a couple tournaments! I was to the point where I could throw it a little over 300' in an open field, but used it most just to get around super sharp angles. I stopped using it so much last year, and now I can't even get it to go straight without flipping over the disc. But it is still fun to freak people out with it :)

ryangwillim
Apr 05 2004, 06:22 PM
One more funny thing. I 've developed (by accident) a chicken wing roller. I use it occasionally for short rolls with my putter!

morgan
Apr 05 2004, 10:22 PM
Yeah chicken wing rollers.

I threw a chicken wing once that rolled over 400 feet but it wasn't supposed to be a roller. I don't care if your don't believe me.

reddman
Apr 06 2004, 12:08 AM
Roller queen :D

Blarg
Apr 06 2004, 06:05 AM
Back in the old-school lid days, it was a great way to get an ultimate type disc to fly in a gigantic hyzer curve. I also used to impress novices on pavement using the throw to get a disc to skip about six times in an arc that described more than half a circle.
I can't seem to get a useful throw with golf discs, though. You need to really lean over to get the disc anywhere near parallel to the ground.
Sure can get a lot of spin out of it though!

Moderator005
Apr 06 2004, 11:07 AM
I don't think there's anyone in the world who will deny that it is one of the most powerful and useful throws for ultimate type discs.

For use with disc golf discs it seems utterly useless however.

morgan
Apr 07 2004, 08:03 PM
For once I agree with Jeff LaGrassa.

Then again, I'm the guy who demonstrated to him just how useless it is in disc golf, the same day I discovered it for myself..

scottknapp
Apr 09 2004, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know Perry Hardison?
Everything outside of 50ft is thrown with a chicken wing for that guy. And he is deadly accurate. He could nock the hat off your head from 75 ft.

Blarg
Apr 09 2004, 03:55 AM
Chicken Wing a.k.a. Ninja:
If he could make that 75 yards, he could rule disc golf!
:D

discgolfreview
Mar 03 2006, 10:30 AM
i know this is an old topic (and that there were a few topics on this over the years) but i finally got some video of one of these:
http://stickitdg.com/gallery/albums/album04/cwing.avi

thanks Schweb.

veganray
Mar 03 2006, 12:29 PM
To view the AVI in QuickTime, you'll need the free XVID Quicktime Component. You can download the binary HERE (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~naegelic/download/).

crotts
Mar 04 2006, 12:24 AM
not bad schweb

i've seen better

paerley
Mar 04 2006, 01:58 AM
The best I've ever seen at this shot is "Bruce" from flip city here in Michigan. You have to catch him inside of his first 6 holes or he may be a bit on the tipsy side (generally, he'll face plant a half dozen times a round). He uses a #2 Hookshot and can make it turn right, fly straight, turn left, or roll. I've never figured out if he actually controls what it's going to do, but it always seems to work out for him.

Moderator005
Mar 06 2006, 02:22 PM
Only about ten seconds until Morgan comments. 10...9...8...

accidentalROLLER
Mar 06 2006, 05:02 PM
So many people have him on ignore that no one knows when he posts anymore.

jebbeer
Mar 07 2006, 02:32 PM
Perry Hardison is the best chicken winger ever (that I know of). At least in golf. His home course is the tightest course I've ever played, and I am in Eastern NC and have seen some tight sht. He can turn over a chicken wing after 200 ft of straight flight. It is ridiculous to watch. He is to the wing what Hoss is to the mini.

bruce_brakel
Mar 07 2006, 03:56 PM
That's a different Bruce from Bruce, the chauffeur of the Waterford Junior Girls' Club. He played my Flip City tournaments and he seems like a nice guy.

Usually a chicken wing is not going to get you anything you could not get from a forehand shot. But I've used it for a looping get out of jail trouble shot to hit high window and then fall to the right and not roll. I can't throw a forehand up like that.

First time I ever threw it playing catch at a disc golf event Mark Ellis said something like, "You know how to throw a chicken wing?" And I said, "No, show me." And he said, "What you just did. That's a chicken wing."

chainmeister
Mar 07 2006, 04:11 PM
Not much use for the chicken wing on the golf course. The only place I can think of is if I have to throw a forehand over a high hedge or bush and still want a pretty flat throw rather than an overhead shot. I am pretty short so a chicken wing may be able to replace a forehand in that circumstance.. Otherwise its just a cool throw for the beach. I remember when my next door neighbor came back from college in 197...oh whatever... and taught every kid in the neighborhood how to throw a forehand, a thumber forehand and a chicken wing. We thought we were the coolest kids in the universe. :D:D

Schoenhopper
Mar 08 2006, 02:10 AM
Wouldn't a turbo putt do basically the same thing? Not as powerful, but more controlled.

bruce_brakel
Mar 08 2006, 02:25 PM
I remember when my next door neighbor came back from college in 197...oh whatever... and taught every kid in the neighborhood how to throw a forehand, a thumber forehand and a chicken wing. We thought we were the coolest kids in the universe. :D:D

Wait. Who are you? Maybe that was me! :D

morgan
Mar 08 2006, 08:14 PM
It's an ultimate throw, and freestyle. Not much use in DG.

How can I play the avi file, when I open it, windows media player tries to play it as a song.

AviarX
Mar 08 2006, 11:04 PM
i played ultimate for years and never saw it used. for me it was always just a gimmick type throw when playing around...

has a distance competition (air shots) ever been won with any throw other than a backhand?

paerley
Mar 09 2006, 12:55 AM
i played ultimate for years and never saw it used. for me it was always just a gimmick type throw when playing around...

has a distance competition (air shots) ever been won with any throw other than a backhand?

I used it in ultimate as a midfielder to catch and dump in the air. Not QUITE the same throw, but the same grip. Anyways, the main use was I'd be coming up the right side, catch in mid air, then dump to Z (eric, the other mid) who would be crossing behind me towards the sideline, who'd hit Tin (martin, tall #$*&$! sweed) in the endzone for a quick score. After that play is executed, the other team backs off on ya when you're in the air just enough that you don't have to dump it and can just play easy toss and dump down the middle.

bruce_brakel
Mar 09 2006, 01:01 AM
Click, click, oh, Barish!, back, back. No, we were never neighbors.

AviarX
Mar 09 2006, 02:26 AM
it's been years, but don't you have to establish a pivot foot prior to a throw? the problem with a chicken wing for a handler or any type of throw where you have a good defender ready to immediately mark you is that the grip gives away what you're about to throw. but a backhand grip can be moved to a forehand grip merely by opening your wrist (and not by changing your forearem to the forehand side and then turning it 180 degrees -- and thereby telegraphing plain as day: "here comes a chicken wing").
why didn't you just dump to Z (eric the other middle) with a forehand or backhand? :confused:

morgan
Mar 09 2006, 05:12 AM
Ok I just downloaded the most updated version of QuickTime and the cwing clip still doesn't play. What's the deal?

tbender
Mar 09 2006, 09:23 AM
We had a play from a set stack that involved breaking a guy open on the right side so he could throw a chicken-wing huck (usually to me). He started at 5 or 6 and broke down the side toward the disc, caught the disc in position for a chicken-wing, immediately planting his left foot and throwing the disc in the same motion. Meanwhile, I would start at 3 or 4, fake forward and go deep.

The throw was so quick that normally his mark would either still be on his left or be ducking due to the unusual arm angle. He only used that throw for that play or for pulling (until he separated his shoulder on dive).

veganray
Mar 09 2006, 09:42 AM
To view the AVI in QuickTime, you'll need the free XVID Quicktime Component. You can download the binary HERE (http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~naegelic/download/).

ryangwillim
Mar 09 2006, 11:41 AM

Yes, Nate Jacobsmeyer (8 at the time) is the current world record holder for his age group. He launched a 145g Firebird 69 meters with a sidearm throw.

veganray
Mar 09 2006, 01:25 PM
My daughter, Miranda, is going to break the 2 & under girls world record (10.29m) at VA States this year with her mad thumber. She can huck that thing ver 50 ft.!

AviarX
Mar 09 2006, 01:29 PM
that rocks! must be that organic pesticide-free diet? ;)

morgan
Mar 09 2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the post with the binary component link, already saw it last time.

Clip doesn't play.

Moderator005
Mar 09 2006, 03:23 PM
No one else is having any problems getting the clip to play. Did you ever think maybe the problem was on your end? Ever consider that maybe you're just computer illiterate?

No, instead you choose to make snide comments to people trying to help you. That's always an effective strategy.

morgan
Mar 09 2006, 08:13 PM
maroon

veganray
Mar 12 2006, 09:38 AM
Tru dat! Wish it worked for me; my Max D is barely over 10.29m. :(