Mar 28 2004, 10:46 PM
OK, so I figure that we as disc golfers are generally a bit more in tune to music than the people I chat with on my quilting and embroidery forum, so I want an opinion (or 2).

I personally think that the first Boston album is the greatest Classic Rock album of all time. BTW, I am not some huge Boston fan, in fact I don't even own the 2nd or 3rd album (and no one on the planet besides the band members own the 4th album).

My reasoning is this, that album is the only one I can think of that still gets pretty regular airplay of every song on it on your average 'classic rock' station. Besides the standards like More than a Feeling, Peace of Mind (maybe the greatest outro in Rock N Roll history), and Long Time, you still hear Smokin, Rock N Roll Band, Hitch a Ride, and Let Me Take You Home Tonight. The one song that gets the least amount of airplay is prolly Something About You, and that is (IMO) the best song on the album.

Now, granted, what some jackass program director at WPUD wants to play isn't necessarily indicative of a great song, but every where around the country I've been, that album gets a lot of play.

I'm sure people will talk about Dark Side of the Moon (wake me when it's over), Zep 2 or Zep 4 (I'd choose Zep 2 if I had to pick just one), and maybe Layla (great album but a few dry spots), but name me another non-greatest-hits album that gets as much play out of every single song on it.

According to infoplease, Boston is the 10th best selling album of all time, at 17 million copies. Not that that means anything tho, since Hootie and the Blowfish are right behind them at 16 million. You think they'll be playing Let Her Cry in 10 years? Yeah, right.

Man, I can't wait till football season comes, I must be bored.

Mar 28 2004, 10:52 PM
Well, besides any Zep album from the first to Physical Graffiti I would have to go with the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers albums. I like the Sticky Fingers album more that LIB myself.

Mar 28 2004, 11:07 PM
I would not personally chose Boston because I still have a stigma against the way they came out with their 1st album and then toured it for like 3 years before another album came out. Back in that day most bands put out at least 1 album per year (Ted Nugent 3 a year all the same sound ). Then after all the anticipation they never really put anything else decent out(maybe Amanda). Because they used that strategy it caused the radio stations to dig deeper into the album then any other ones so everyone finally became familiar with every song. Not that they aren't good but many other classic rock albums are great all the way through, you just rarely ever get a chance to find out unless you buy it and listen to it over and over until you get used to all the songs. Led Zepplin 4 was close in airplay and is solid. Come on now with the Pink Floyd comments, EVERYONE knows you couldn't sleep through Dark Side without waking up during the beginning of "Time" and all the alarm clocks going off :D:D:D
That being said I will put forth either The Who "Who's Next" which is solid all the way through but only about 4 songs got overplay and some others got very little play, especially "Getting in Tune"(best according to me) and that says alot compared to the mega hits you still hear everyday on the radio. :D
Another toss out is Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms" this is maybe a bit later for Classic rock but is solid all the way through as was their previous album "Making Movies". /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My own personal bias is for Peter Gabriel, all of his songs but he's not for everyone ... only those with really refined listening abilities and discriminating taste :o/msgboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif :D :cool:

Pizza God
Mar 28 2004, 11:17 PM
The Who - Who's Next or Tommy

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers or Revolver may be Abby Road

Pink Floyd - The Wall or Dark Side of the moon (take off Money)

Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monteray (actually, if you listen to Jimi, you have to listen to live stuff, it is way better than anything he did in studio)

Mar 28 2004, 11:23 PM
i cant chose ONE great rock album, ALL of hendrix albums, zep 2 and 4 are steller, and of course so is DArk SIde of the moon, with all these great albums im glad i have a CD burner and i make my own greatest rock album ever, every thing from cream to zz top

Mar 28 2004, 11:24 PM
All great choices, so far I agree that everything named is definately top shelf especially Floyd, Beatles, & Stones .. But Hootie and the Bullfish ... NO Way
By the way do you remember on the radio when they played Pink Floyd "Money" the couldn't say the real lines so they changed the radio version to say " Don't give me that goo good good bullFISH" ... I do :eek:

rhett
Mar 28 2004, 11:27 PM
What a timely topic! I just heard "More than a feelin'" for the first time in forever this weekend, and was thinking "dang, this is stilla darn good song." Being a disc golfer, I've always been a little anti-establishment so the overkill of airplay back in the day pretty much turned me off of Boston. But that is a great album, and I just might buy it now for the first time. :)

Now, for contenders I don't think airplay should have anything to do with it. Otherwise it becomes a "best top-40ish classic rock-ey album". Of Boston would still be up there. :)

I submit for your critique: Guns -n- Roses Appetite for Destruction. While it came out way later than the classic rock era, it captures the sound better than any of the boring formulaic bands of the late 70s did. (That boring formula, IMHO, spurred punk rock on because punk was energetic and the "AOR" of the time was like pop music now: down.)

GnR rocks hard and rocks heavy, all the way through.

Karma Police
Mar 28 2004, 11:36 PM
Beatles-Revolver. Although I never really considered them 'classic rock' but others have them down. Overall I can't stand most classic rock. Pretty much a Radiohead junkie.

Mar 28 2004, 11:39 PM
Rocco, my respect for you has just gone up leaps and bounds.

STONES, MAN! LIB and SF are two of the greatest albums ever recorded. (Mick Taylor's guitar work on SF still stands the test of time, and Monkey Man on LIB is the absolute sheite.)

Of course, I've found a new respect for Dan too, even though he roots for the wrong footbal team (way wrong). Boston's first album is pretty much what made me want to be a rock vocalist. Yes, I was very inspred by Robert Plant, Janis Joplin and even Elton John (watch it buster) as far as vocal stylings. But, the sheer magnitude of Boston's vibe and the whole Rockstar thing they had going on made me want to be a part of it.

I saw 'em 3 times on 3 different tours. My first concert ever was Boston (in support of Don't Look Back) with Sammy Hagar opening (still the only opening act I've ever seen called back out for THREE encores).

When the 40' pipe organ rose outta the floor of the stage for Tom Scholz to use on Foreplay/Long Time it was an epiphany for me.

Now, I don't like to limit my musical influences and if I was to list all the artists/songs/albums/concerts that have inspired me during my long trek as a professional (now very retired) musician, it would be a post so wordy that it would even make Nicky say, "****, that's a long post." But the two artists and 3 albums already mentioned in the first two posts of this thread, even as radically different as they are, had a lot to do with defining me as a fan and a musician.

See further posts on this thread for more of my classic rock babble. I can't contain it to merely one post. :)

Mar 28 2004, 11:48 PM
I'm not a big fan of classic rock. In fact, for a long time, I didn't believe that there was a single good song recorded before 1980 :)

Having said that: here's my favorites in no real order...

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Kansas - Leftoverture
Rush - Moving Pictures

junnila
Mar 28 2004, 11:56 PM
White Album...nuf said

pterodactyl
Mar 28 2004, 11:56 PM
Boston was too much "studio" sounding. Although I did like the album cover with the upside-down spaceship guitars.

Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars by Bowie is my favorite (just doesn't get the air play).

Radiohead rules the CD player now, however!

Lyle O Ross
Mar 29 2004, 12:11 AM
Gums n Roses? Surely you jest. I grew up with them and even I know better. Might as well just throw in Thriller. Or better yet something by Phil Collins. Oh wait wait, Smammy Haggar. Doesn't he make cheap slacks when he isn't with Van Halo? Wasn't it Valerie that said her hubby was the best guitarist that ever lived? Guess she never heard Jimmy H. play or for that matter Eric.

Can't believe there isn't a vote for the White Album. Of course I didn't look too close maybe there is. Let it Be was too over stylized. There was hardly any Beatles left by the time they got done. Have to go with Sgt. Pepper's. This is with full acknowledgement of Led and the Stones; but they still don't match up to the best of the Beatles. Pink Floyd The Wall comes close but only because of its impact. I also like the Eagles Hotel California and Long Run but they aren't truly up to par with Sgt. Pepper's.

Oh by the way. In terms of theme albums, Boston ain't bad but what about Allan Parson's Project. Remember I Robot?

Lest you think I am fixated on the 60s (and early 70s), it is a pity to leave out Nirvana Nevermind and Pearl Jam 10. Don't forget U2 The Joshua Tree and REM had some good stuff in there too. Peter Gabrial was pretty good also. Yes, I know these are after the "Classic Rock" era but they are nonetheless - Classic.

Lyle O Ross
Mar 29 2004, 12:14 AM
I spoke too soon! This album is one of the best unrecognized albums of all time. It just never got all the credit it deserved.

junnila
Mar 29 2004, 12:21 AM
Way underrated, A Day in the Life is the best song ever recorded. I would also have to vote for Axis Bold As Love, although I agree Hendrix along with everything else is better live.

Mar 29 2004, 12:27 AM
Look, me and Bryan agreeing wholeheartedly on something. :)

See, we can get along. :)

One thing that I failed to mention in my first post, when thinking about Rocco's take on Sticky Fingers, was Who's next.

I meant to include it, but instead of editing my post, what the heck, one more post out of 4300ish won't hurt.

The one thing that I find interesting about Sticky Fingers, other than it being one of the greatest rock 'n roll albums of all time, is that it might not even be the best rock 'n roll album that came out that year! 1971 gave us both Sticky Fingers and The Who's, Who's Next.

Name a track and I can guarantee you've heard it before on the radio. Yes, even My Wife, with the Ox on vocals and 5:15 (outta my brain on a train). One of the earliest "multi-hit" rock albums, Who's Next was a triumph in songwriting.

Dan, if you've got a problem sleeping through Dark Side of the Moon, you indeed have a problem :)

Mar 29 2004, 12:28 AM
The White Album is my favorite Beatles album but when I think of Classic Rock I don't put the Beatles in that catagory. I believe they were making music before music started "rocking". This is one reason I didn't list Exile on Main Street. It is a classic album but the whole feel of the album is not rock. It is more bluesy. Pterodactyl, I was really close to listing Ziggy myself. That album is great.

Mar 29 2004, 12:32 AM
I had Appetite For Destruction on my short list as well, Rhett, it's still (and prolly will be for a long time) one of the best ever.

I forgot about Who's Next, that would be close in the 'almost every song getting airplay' category.

I couldn't think of a Stones album that was great from top to bottom, they always had a clunker or 2 in there it seemed. Same with the Beatles, as much as I love the White Album and Sgt Pepper.

If Boston seemed too 'studio' sounding, keep in mind that Tom Scholz invented a lot of the equipment that made that sound, which then got copied by tons of early hair bands (Def Leppard especially). Almost every budding guitarist started out with a Rockman (at least those of us with neighbors did), and nothing ever sounded better than my cheap Fender Squire plugged into the Rockman with the distortion and echo turned way up thru my headphones.

Mark, is it me, or did it seem like Brad Delp could hit high notes that only dogs could hear?

Oh, here's a couple more to kick around, not really 'classic rock', but what about Scorpions - Love at First Sting, and in a more Southern genre, Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced?

Lyle O Ross
Mar 29 2004, 12:45 AM
The problem with Lynyrd is that song about hitting on under age groupies in Idaho. Even Freebird is about running out on your wife. Never could respect the band.

Mar 29 2004, 12:54 AM
The problem with Lynyrd is that song about hitting on under age groupies in Idaho. Even Freebird is about running out on your wife. Never could respect the band.

Umm...no, Freebird was written about Duane Allman after he died.

slo
Mar 29 2004, 06:59 AM
5:15 was on Quadrophenia, dude.

But why even vote for 'greatest' when everybody knows that is, and will always be, "Sgt. Pepper"?!? Even a rag as clueless a Rolling Stone can figure that one out...
... as for BEST album, another vote for "Who's Next"...still the high water mark for rock n roll, in my opinion...after listening to it for close to 33 years, I STILL get goosebumps in the drum/synth interplay leading to the climax/Daltry's scream. By the way, this was the first rock n roll album to feature synthesisers, provided by the indubitably talented Pete Townsend.

The BEST Beatles album is "Revolver," but only in the English [Epiphone] version...but that's the one released on cd, anyways.

Mar 29 2004, 10:13 AM
This is not about "best ever". No need to regurgitate those lists made leading into the year 2000.

If I were to following Dan's criteria, "classic rock/most radio airtime", I couldn't answer that because I don't routinely listen to those stations. My LP collection is over 2,200 - why limit what I listen to by what's fed me over the "classic rock" airwaves? There are better options if I'm stuck in traffic.

Who's Next is a good challenge to Dan's Boston LP, and it's MUCH higher on the Greatest Ever list.
Sure, I was groovin' to Boston back then, too (MMMmmmmm, lumbo), but I knew better.
8 yrs. old in '69, listening to Hendrix, Stones, Zep.....ahh, yes, my formative years...
Because of that grounding, I never saw Boston as legitamate, especially since they weren't able to replicate their sound on stage.

What were we talkin' 'bout ?
What LPs gets worn out on Classic Rock Radio AND aren't totally crap?
Van Halen
Fly Like An Eagle
Hotel California
Born In The USA
The Joshua Tree/War
Stranger In Town
Brothers In Arms by J. Geils
Hair Of The Dog :cool:

*I will avoid drifting into the likes of Never Mind The Bollocks, London Calling and "Ramones"/Leave Home/Rocket To Russia/Road To Ruin.............................................. ..........................................!

larrywhitson
Mar 29 2004, 10:27 AM
For those voting for "Who's Next," check out a recent rerelease on CD that includes several additional songs and additional liner notes. Seems this project was originally designed to be a full-blown theatrical presentation like "Tommy" and "Quadraphenia" but got scaled back (I don't recall the reason off the top of my head). I believe the full-blown version was ambitiously titled "Life." But I've slept since I read the notes, so I may have that mixed up with something else!

And BTW, every "classic" rock album came out before 1980. The year the music died (for a while at least).

Granted, I have pretty mellow tastes compared to those who would vote for GNR, but how about Van Morrison - Moondance?

Dylan?

Jeez, I'm old.

LW

Mar 29 2004, 10:51 AM
I was once told Townshend's 1st solo LP had songs intended for that abandoned project.

from AMG (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll) :
While the legacy of Tommy would prove formidable, in 1970 Townshend was stumped about how to follow it up. As he worked on new material, the group released Live at Leeds in 1970.... Eventually, he settled on a sci-fi rock opera called Lifehouse, which he intended to be strongly influenced by the teachings of his guru, Meher Baba. Townshend also intended to incorporate electronics and synthesizers on the album, pushing the group into new sonic territory. The remainder of the Who wasn't particularly enthralled with Lifehouse, claiming not to understand its plot, and their reluctance contributed to Townshend suffering a nervous breakdown. Once he recovered, the group picked up the pieces of the now-abandoned Lifehouse project and recorded Who's Next.

The success of Who's Next prompted Townshend to attempt another opera. This time, he abandoned fantasy in order to sketch a portrait of a '60s mod with Quadrophenia. As he wrote the album in 1972, he released Who Came First, a collection of private recordings and demos he made for Meher Baba.

Mar 29 2004, 10:53 AM
Slo, thanks for correcting me...dude! :)

I gotta get my turntable fixed so that I can re-familiarize myself with the content of some of these great pieces of vinyl.

Speaking of Who's Next and Quadrophenia, we could have a whole other thread regarding which was the greatest rock 'n roll scream ever: Daltrey on Love Reign O'er Me or Won't Get Fooled again. My vote is for Won't Get Fooled Again. :)

C-mag, did you ever see Boston live? To replicate what they did in Tom's basement on a big stage was no easy task and I always thought they did a more than credible job. I find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending a band that historically wasn't all that, but I feel they're more important than they get credit for due to the fact that people got worn out on 'em. Next time you're trying to replicate on stage something that you've enhanced through artistic freedom with all the tools available to you in a recording studio, do me a favor and let me know how that works out for you. :)

Trying to single out a best Beatles album is tough since there are so many differences in so many great works. Sgt. Pepper's seems to be the most popular choice, followed by the White Album and Revolver. Myself, I like the sweet melodic nature of Abbey Road and the more raw feel of Let It Be just as much.

Picking one Zepplin album is also tough (not as, though) for similar reasons. I've always been partial to the blusier feel of III, but Physical Graffitti was genius in parts. IV is undeniably one of the more important rock albums of all time, even so.

Maybe, we should try to list our favorite 10 classic rock albums of all time. That would be in my case at least, a lot easier.

md21954
Mar 29 2004, 11:06 AM
my vote for best beatles album is certainly for revolver.

too sick of won't get fooled again (tie for world's most popular car commercial w/ that 'bargain' song) for best scream.

best stone's album? my vote is for exile on main st with sticky fingers and let it bleed close seconds.

Mar 29 2004, 11:12 AM
yes, I did see them WAY BACK THEN, and they sounded like "just another band". Was Boston a fraud? Maybe, but, hey, great LP, great party songs. A notch above April Wine.... :D

Led Zep was able to replicate the studio sounds of Whole Lotta Love and Dazed & Confused on stage. Pink Floyd? Yes. Hendrix ? Sure.

Mar 29 2004, 11:21 AM
BEST ROCK SCREAMS

It's a tie :

TED NUGENT - Motor City Madhouse (Double Live Gonzo) yes, Mark, I saw that one too, one of the concerts included on the LP !, and, yes, he replicated !!!) ;)
SISTER MARY ELEPHANT

circle_2
Mar 29 2004, 11:23 AM
All good choices here!
The first 2 tapes I ever bought for my car stereo were Van Halen I and The Cars Candy O. At 16, that was all I needed to blast out of my Jensen Triaxials of my '69 Mustang!
For Christmas one year ('78ish?) my folks completely scored when they bought me Kansas' Leftoverture, Boston I, and Styx' The Grand Illusion. Those 3 bring back the memories of Wood and Metal-shop classes in junior high...with the shop-stereo cranked and everyone gettin' into th' groove whilst working on their projects...ahhh...memories! :cool:

My vote would be for Zepplin's In Through The Out Door...as I have tended to get into the trippiness of many bands' works...

Mar 29 2004, 11:25 AM
oops! I forgot about the Cars 1st LP.

Chris Hysell
Mar 29 2004, 11:30 AM
Either Beastie Boys, License to ILL or Dr. Dre, The Chronic.

Mar 29 2004, 12:53 PM
Who's Next is a good challenge to Dan's Boston LP, and it's MUCH higher on the Greatest Ever list.
Sure, I was groovin' to Boston back then, too (MMMmmmmm, lumbo), but I knew better.
8 yrs. old in '69, listening to Hendrix, Stones, Zep.....ahh, yes, my formative years...
Because of that grounding, I never saw Boston as legitamate, especially since they weren't able to replicate their sound on stage.

What were we talkin' 'bout ?
What LPs gets worn out on Classic Rock Radio AND aren't totally crap?
Van Halen
Fly Like An Eagle
Hotel California
Born In The USA
The Joshua Tree/War
Stranger In Town
Brothers In Arms by J. Geils
Hair Of The Dog :cool:

Dude, you're killing me here. Fly Like an Eagle? Steve Miller was the biggest waste of talent on the planet (c'mon, the guy has Les friggin Paul as his guitar teacher and that's the best he can do?)

Any Springsteen fan wouldn't even consider Born in the USA as one of his best efforts, it was an "I need some quick $$" record, and pales when compared to Greetings from Asbury Park, Born To Run, or even The River.

Hotel California had one great song, 2 pretty good ones, and a bunch of clunkers. Doesn't compete because of the clunker factor.

Brothers in Arms was Dire Straits, for J. Geils I'd pick Full House, one of the top 10 live albums ever put out (featuring Magic Dick and his Lickin Stick on 'Whammer Jammer' of course).

I was never a huge Who fan, so I wouldn't put Who's Next up there with Boston, and I'd prolly put Styx 'Grand Illusion' ahead of it.

Not sure about the best rock scream (If I had to, I'd pick Ian Gillen in Deep Purple's "Highway Star"), but the worst has to be Dennis DeYoung in the beginning of Renegade.

scoop
Mar 29 2004, 01:35 PM
Hard to narrow it down to just one for me too...

But one of my favorites that hasn't been listed yet is Foreigner Four. And I still listen to Molly Hatchett's Greatest Hits every so often.

Mar 29 2004, 02:19 PM
What a coincidence Rooster, I think of a Molly Hatchet song every time I step up to putt. :)

junnila
Mar 29 2004, 02:19 PM
How are you gonna say Steve Miller has no talent, the guy has written some classic songs that will be heard for years to come, and that Styx is up there, everyone I know wants to forget Styx ever existed. Even though their songs get airplay, they still suck a big *****. Styx stynx!

Mar 29 2004, 02:30 PM
If you're using airplay for the entire album as the criteria then I've got to go with Zeppelin IV as he most "overplayed" album of all time with Boston as a real close second.

The "Greatest" classic rock album of all time in my book is Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors but that's what so great about music, there is no right or wrong.

Best rock scream ever is Ian Gillan when he was with Black Sabbath on Born Again.

Mar 29 2004, 02:39 PM
I won't disagree with you if you are talking about the Dennis DeYoung influenced stuff, he was not my cup of tea. But the Tommy Shaw/James Young stuff was some pretty kicka$$ rock and roll, i.e. Blue Collar Man, Crystal Ball, Too Much Time on My Hands, Miss America, Fooling Yourself, Renegade, Snowblind, etc..

scottsearles
Mar 29 2004, 02:46 PM
RUSH "2112" "CHRONICLE'S"
Any "MONTROSE"
AC/DC "If you want blood you got it" " H T HELL"
Queen "News of the world"
ANY "YES"
Anything by "JOURNEY" BEFORE "FERRY PERRY"
I will take the POOP on this pick these guy's ROCKED before "PERRY" IMHO F-ING RUINED them. Which mean's made alot of $$$$$$$$$$$

More later as they come back to me "LOL" /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lyle O Ross
Mar 29 2004, 02:52 PM

Umm...no, Freebird was written about Duane Allman after he died.

That's the problem with judging art based on content rather than intent. Thanks for the correction.

Mar 29 2004, 03:00 PM
You mean that wasn't Billy Idol singing Money For Nothing?* ZOOM - hand passes over head....

The LPs I listed have NOTHING to do with my personal preferences.

I was merely addressing the topic you put forth at the start of this thread - a list of albums (decent rock artists) which get a lot of airplay on classic radio.
I'm not saying they are better than Boston's LP.
Who's Next - yes.
Zep 4 (untitled ;)) - yes.
Street Survivors - hmmmmaybe.

Born In The USA was Bruce's big commercial yankoff, an artistic lowlight in his career, but that's the crap that's played.

Styx ? :confused: A notch above Head East :D

Mar 29 2004, 03:04 PM
Best Rock Scream - Any Tool song Maynard screams on.

jeffash
Mar 29 2004, 03:05 PM
Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

Mar 29 2004, 03:26 PM
Ian's Screamin' Jesus wasn't bad either....

Mar 29 2004, 03:43 PM
Gotta love the RUSH mentions! I like the first live album (or was it the 2nd) �Exit stage left� more than Chronicles, 2112 or the others. I may be biased though as that album was the one that REALLY turned me on to live music.

I have to throw Metallica Black into the discussion as well...

These discussions need to be broken up into periods though. You can�t really compare Beatles albums to Guns N� Roses�

Mar 29 2004, 03:44 PM
It might not be everyone�s cup of tea, but a current GREAT screamer is the dude from Linkin Park � that guy has MAD screaming skills :)

Mar 29 2004, 03:52 PM
Here is another thought� I have NEVER liked or disliked music based on how popular/under ground/or pop it is. I allow myself to like what I LIKE.

Anyway, I LOVE the Limp Bizkit CD �Significant Other�. This music takes me to a happy place.

GIVE E SOMETHIN� TO BREAK! :)

Mar 29 2004, 04:13 PM
I think the music was broken up into the period called "Classic Rock" as in the Classic Rock genre. Others just happen to be reading it and giving their opinions as to what they think is a classic rock album.

Mar 29 2004, 04:19 PM
Limp definately doesnt qualify as classic....for another 20+ years anyway....

RUSH 2112!!!!!!!!!!

Metallica- Ride the Lightning is 20 years old now, does it qualify?

;)

Mar 29 2004, 04:52 PM
I've got to believe that "Classic Rock" encompasses everything including and after the Beatles but before the Motley Crue/Poison hair metal explosion. So what's that cover, 1965 - 1980?

Mar 29 2004, 05:10 PM
What's the difference between "classic rock" and "oldies" ?

Is it a quality issue: Strawberry Alarm Clock, Tommy James and The Shondels, and The Rascals vs. Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, and The Yardbirds ?

sciencet_cher
Mar 29 2004, 05:14 PM
This may fringe the year defination of Classic (1982), but I see classic as influence also, so my vote is for REM's Murmur

Mar 29 2004, 05:20 PM

I think that distorted guitar would be the difference. That and attitude. Although nowadays the oldies stations here in NY play more Beatles than the classic rock stations.

Mar 29 2004, 05:21 PM
scream (http://www.wtv-zone.com/stinkywetdog/wav/p/shutupclass.wav)

Mar 29 2004, 05:26 PM
Good point, ching, I think I committed thread drift on my own thread. When I started it I was thinking along the lines of 'every song on the album gets played' with no 'clunkers', but then got off on the 'defend my point till I die' tangent.

Of course I am still lost on the brothers in arms/j. geils/billy idol thing. :)

I like Santoro's definition of classic rock - 1965-1980. That rules out Scorpions, but does include 2112, which I strangely forgot (I was a huge Rush head up till Power Windows). Besides the killer first side (2112), there's Something for Nothing, Passage to Bangkok, and Twilight Zone on side 2 (yeah, I still have the vinyl). Didn't get much radio play, but still a killer album.

Q: What did Pete Townshend say to Michael Jackson?

A: Got 2 5s for a 10? :o

Mar 29 2004, 06:43 PM
Q: What did Pete Townshend say to Michael Jackson?

A: Got 2 5s for a 10? :o

That is so wrong.
*shakes head*

2112 Was, is and always will be the preeiminent rock theme album! First rock album I ever bought was All The Wolrd's a Stage (Yes Gimp, Exit Stage Left was the 2nd one) and I was hooked ever since.

2nd Concert ever was Rush in support of Hemispheres (very underrated album) with April Wine opening. I made it a point, even then, to be late for April Wine. :)

Mar 29 2004, 08:32 PM
What a coincidence Rooster, I think of a Molly Hatchet song every time I step up to putt. :)

As in flirtin' with disaster ??? :D:D

Mar 29 2004, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE]
BEST ROCK SCREAMS

What about Edgar Winter on Tobacco Road from "Roadwork" ??? Live it is about 40 seconds long ... unbelievable followed by scat singing with matching guitar sounds to the voice ... Must check it out

Mar 29 2004, 08:42 PM

Is it a quality issue: Strawberry Alarm Clock, Tommy James and The Shondels, and The Rascals vs. Humble Pie, Savoy Brown, and The Yardbirds ?

I always felt it was a "POP" factor ... the 1st three were more "POP" oriented (maybe not S.A.C.) but the last three are definately classic rock with Savoy Brown pushing a blues rating actually ... Just My Opinion ...
BTW I believe it is the Stingmeister on Money for Nothing, or is it Stingarino .. or maybe Sting-a-ling-a-ding-dong :p

Mar 29 2004, 09:08 PM
Please forgive me........Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Had to be nominated.

Plus, 3 old favs:
fair amount of Classic Retch airplay: Every Picture Tells A Story
occasional: Aqualung
not enough: Paranoid

Mar 29 2004, 09:32 PM
Please forgive me........Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Had to be nominated.

Plus, 3 old favs:
fair amount of Classic Retch airplay: Every Picture Tells A Story
occasional: Aqualung
not enough: Paranoid

You're forgiven. One of my favorite albums and the only one I have worn out on vinyl, cassette AND 8-track. :)

Every Picture doesn't get enough airplay around these parts, the overexposure of Tull is universal (although I love 'em) and to say Paranoid doesn't get enough play is a sure sign you don't live in Texas.

OZZY, OZZY, OZZY!

Mar 29 2004, 09:49 PM
We've been talking about him, but did anyone mention Machine Head?

okay,for your amusement:
AskMen.com's Top 20 Classic Rock LPs who ARE these people?
20 Synchronicity (when they started sucking, IMO)
19 Pet Sounds (awww)
18 ******* Brew
17Purple Rain (insert your own comment...)
16Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel (LOL)
15Sleeps With Angels (IQ check: definition of classic)
14 Deja Vu (forgot this one)
13Hotel California
12Time Out Of Mind - Bob Dylan (see # 15)
11Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (okay, fine, if you must)
10 Electric Ladyland (I skipped this fav based on airplay%)
9Legend-Bob Marley (sorry-no GHs allowed-pussys)
8 Moondance
7Night At The Opera (I like the Marx Bros, too, but....)
6Tommy
5The Doors - The Doors (meant to mention it)
4Exile On Main Street
3The Wall
2Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1 Led Zeppelin (they meant, 4 .... they didn't call it, "4", or "untitled", just "Led Zeppelin"...which....ahhhh...was the name of their 1st LP, boneheads !)

scottsearles
Mar 29 2004, 10:15 PM

Could it be "Dream's" ;)

Mar 30 2004, 12:22 AM

Could it be "Dream's" ;)

Perhaps marka is actually thinking about the "rumours" song that goes something like ... " you can never hit the chains, never hit the chains ..doo doo doo ..sing it Stevie Nicks :D:D

slo
Mar 30 2004, 02:01 AM
...question: don't they play Marley on "classic rock" rock stations?

Ching, thanks for the 'Lifehouse' bit, but, I'm confused if your previous post denyed or confirmed by greatest/best paradign...[?] :confused:

OK, I went back and read the original post...and I'd have to say that radio airplay is but a part of what goes into greatness...unless one wants to buy into the radio conceit that "classic rock" is what is played on such stations rotations...pffff. Art, sensation, sales, imagination, Innovation, daring, and yes, airplay, but most of all sensation, and INFLUENCE ...some of the factors contributing to the situation where Pepper cannot possibly be displaced in of my opinion of THE greatest, but read/write on, my discmates...I'm interested in your standards by which greatness is measured...

...radio doesn't play albums per se, anyways; albums are musical [and becoming /video] documents released by artists for listeners...to listen to their work; how well they do commercially in sales/airplay is due to their popularity, but not always quality...though it stands to reason the two are closely related [Nashville "Country", and unimaginative rap [not all] being the obvious exceptions].

Another problem I have with the radio airplay standard..."Rumors" was great in terms of popularity; it put Fleetwood Mac on the map after toiling in obscurity as a pure blues-based rock unit since the late 60's [Peter Green, but that's another story], but that album wasn't as good as their previous, albeit less popular release [yes, the one with {ug} "Rhiannon" on it]...that sort of squelches it for me...going strickly by the airplay standard, I'd have to put 'Silk Degrees' WAY up there in terms of quality, far, FAR ahead of the much more popular [pervasive is more like it] Steve Miller clone releases...basically [he admitted to such] invented to exploit the rock tastes of the time. 'Silk Degrees', 'Highway 61 Revisited,''Blonde On Blonde,' and 'most any CCR have the benefit of every track being great...no filler/marginal work.

I pretty much agree with the "1980" figure for the end of the classic era, even though it overlaps the 'New Wave'/Punk phenomena by ~=3 1/2 years, or so...coincides roughly with "The Wall" [although that was technically '79, the tour lasted, etc.]. Is it a coincidence I started listening to rock alternatives in '81?

...I'd put the beginning of the classic era 'round '66...coinciding with 'Revolver' ['Rubber Soul' {either version} just doesn't muster the 'rock' effect]..."You Really Got Me" by the Kinks had been out a year; Who/Stones/Yardbyrds were getting known, the REAL summer of love had started in Sanfran, and the beiginning of psychedleia were being brewed in L.A....quite a year, musically. Oh yeah, a guy named Zimmerman had "sold out" by then...

slo
Mar 30 2004, 02:05 AM
...and Jimi was wowing them in London...

Pizza God
Mar 30 2004, 04:50 AM
CSN&Y - So Far.

Who else could have a greatest hits album after just 2 albums. This is one of my most played albums.

"LOL" about Simon and Garfunkle. Bookends is a great album with one of the best songs ever written. America (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B0000024TQ001003/1/103-3849816-8315809) Not to mention Mrs. Robinson, one that gets lots of airplay.

Pizza God
Mar 30 2004, 04:58 AM
As far as the Beaste Boys that someone mentioned. Paul Botique is there best alblum (with Sgt Pepper samples no doubt)

You also have to mention

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks

Just makes me want to trash my computer and scream "god save the queen" for some reason.

Pizza God
Mar 30 2004, 05:07 AM
Anyone who even remotly likes Regge, must get Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legends. This is the only Bob Marley album you need and is the only Regge that ever gets airplay.

One that never gets radio play (except maybe Dr. Demento)

Dread Zeppelin - Front Yard Bar*B*Que

with songs like
Immigran Song
Babe O'Riley
Freebird
Whole Lotta Love
Kashmir
Stairway to Heaven
My Way

Pizza God
Mar 30 2004, 05:17 AM
On that note (and thread drift)

Frank Zappa

Apostrophe'/Overnight Sensation
Don't Eat that Yellow Snow
Dinah Moe Humm (don't think you are going to hear this one on the radio)
Montana

Schik Your Booty
Bobby Brown (can't get airplayon this one either) (I wore this tape out in the 80's when all I listen to was Zappa, I could sing every lyric of every song, {ram it, ram it, ram it up your ****})

Hot Rats (my favorate Jazz album)

Grand Wazoo (some more great Jazz from Zappa)

Freak Out (1965 greatness)

md21954
Mar 30 2004, 08:47 AM
Freak Out (1965 greatness)

amen brutha!

Mar 30 2004, 09:53 AM
Slo,
you were thinking of their self-titled LP, Fleetwood Mac - yes, lots of "hits" on that one, too.
Silk Degrees was Boz Scaggs, Steve Miller's college buddy in Wisconsin, whose debut in '69 featured Duane Allman.

Greatest 'Classic Rock' album of all time, not the greatest rock album of all time.

As Dan put forth, GHs don't count (even though Boston's 1st LP is basically Scholz's personal GH demo, years in the making :D).
Naming Legends is an easy way out and makes one suspicious of their true knowledge of Marley's body of work.

Dan's initial challenge:
but name me another non-greatest-hits album that gets as much play out of every single song on it.

hawkgammon
Mar 30 2004, 10:08 AM
Another vote for A Night At The Opera.

Mar 30 2004, 10:39 AM
As much as I like Sgt. Pepper, by the original standards of the thread, it doesn't compare to Boston. There are 4 or 5 'non radio friendly' songs on it:

Within You Without You
Fixing a Hole
She's Leaving Home
Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite
Good Morning, Good Morning

I'm not saying these songs aren't good, in fact Within You, Without You is one of my favs on the album, but they don't get (and as far as I can remember, didn't get) any kind of airplay beyond 1967 or so.

Who's Next could be shot down because of:
Love Ain't for Keeping
My Wife (also one of my favs)
The Song is Over

Zep 4 might be the closest, you don't hear Four Sticks or Going To California that much, even around here where the classic rock station format is "All Zeppelin, All The Time".

Zep 2 is even closer, the only clunker there is Bring it on Home, altho Moby Dick is pretty rare (program directors don't like instrumentals that much, especially those with long drum solos.)

Mar 30 2004, 11:18 AM
those Who songs get played here (enough of you know where that is :cool:) fairly often- this debate certainly has regional twists.

Mar 30 2004, 11:45 AM
C-mag, although we're geographically a ways apart, I can tell you that the same holds true in these parts. Every song off of Who's next has, at one time or another, had its fair share of air 'round here.

Mar 30 2004, 12:33 PM
That could most certainly be the case around here (midway between NYC and Albany). We have one 'classic rock' station and it's been the same program director for a long, long time. I know he has a chubby for Frampton and Steely Dan, since it's a given that you'll hear both on a regular basis. Baba O'Riley is pretty regular, enough so that I absolutely can't stand that song any more.

scottsearles
Mar 30 2004, 01:19 PM
Here is another to DISCuss amongst yourselve's, U.F.O. Shenker Brother's.
It just SCREAM'Z, Disc Golf Rock/Roll.

slo
Mar 30 2004, 06:48 PM
Anyone who even remotly likes Regge, must get Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legends. This is the only Bob Marley album you need and is the only Regge that ever gets airplay.

I don't doubt the greatness of Marley, but the soundtrack to "The Harder They Come" [featuring Jimmy Cliff and many others] is possibly the best INTRO to Reggae, if only because of the variety.

Ching, I knew the name of FM's 'Fleetwood Mac'; I just didn't feel like looking up "euphemously" [sp?]...at the time.

Dan, this is your thread...did you comment on the '66-'80 timeframe for 'classic rock'? If so, I missed it.

Nice, informed/informative thread, regardless...I'm interested in what's viewed as the best of the 80's & 90's, even if that's not per se 'classic rock'. How come all youse know more about music than DG? :D

Mar 30 2004, 08:59 PM
Nice, informed/informative thread, regardless...I'm interested in what's viewed as the best of the 80's & 90's, even if that's not per se 'classic rock'.

Best album of the 80's - SRV's Texas Flood
Best Album of the 90's - I'm kinda stumped on this one, if you could combine Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 to make just 1 CD I think you'd have it. I think I actually played more music in the 90's than listened. Grunge really didn't do much for me.

pterodactyl
Mar 30 2004, 10:01 PM
I'm the biggest UFO fan that I know of. They have a couple greatest hits albums that are unreal!

Montrose was also a great band that was underplayed on radio stations. Sammy wrote all of the songs...some of his best work ever. I saw yesterday that Sammy will be with Van Hagar again.

scottsearles
Mar 31 2004, 12:50 AM
Kenny,
How about Y&T not a ton of airplay but they still Rocked.

slo
Mar 31 2004, 02:48 AM
Boz' first [1969] has the 12:48 blues classic, [somebody] "Loan Me a Dime"...at that length, not much airplay, but wow! Duane goes by the name "Skydog" on that one, a fact of which I was not aware until I recently picked up a copy [not into the Allmans, however], and is credited with dobro, slide, AND guitar. Recorded @ Muscle Shoals Sound Recorders, Alabama.

Most underated/nigh-unknown but still great album of the classic rock era might be 'Moby Grape' by the band of the same name. It's got a grippe of songs you might not place by name, but when you hear "Omaha" or "Hey, Grandma" or "Fall On You" the reaction [if you were listening to the radio in 1967] is likely, "Oh, Yeah!". Kick_*** R&R before the 'heavy' music of the late '60's. It just got re-mastered, with extra tracks, and I'm REEL eager to hear that one.

Hey, somebody has to say it: how about 'Tapestry' by Carole King [the best-selling album of all time for about 5-6 years, in the 70's], and several by Joni Mitchell, but especially 'Court and Spark'...lots of that made AM, most made FM, and "Freeman in Paris" and "Raised on Robbery" made her HUGE. Finally.

Mar 31 2004, 09:06 AM
Happy B-day P-dact. :)

Yes, UFO was the shizzle. And so was Montrose. Its never surprising to to hear Lights Out in London OR Rock Candy jump into my head and stick for a while.

Mar 31 2004, 09:14 AM
glad to hear things get stuck in your head...
usually it's your head getting stuck............. ;)

Mar 31 2004, 09:45 AM
I saw yesterday that Sammy will be with Van Hagar again.

Wow, I can't believe Sammy would get back with them after they bent him over like that. I guess the tequila ain't selling all that well.

I think I had completely forgotten about Y&T until the mention above. They did rock!

Best of the 80s - Appetite for Destruction, although I still really like Love at First Sting

Best of the 90s - Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape, with Green Day's Dookie as honorable mention

Most overrated of the 90s - Nirvana - Nevermind (if that was such a great and influential album, how come grunge only lasted about 5 years and got usurped by Britney Spears?)

Mar 31 2004, 09:48 AM
THIS IS A TEST, part 1

I turned on "The Loop"- WLUP, Chicago's Classic Rock station this morning.
After 4-5 mins. of mindnumbing commercials, the morning hosts resumed a discussion about how today's kids are getting into classic rock. They have on the phone some 17 yr. old girl from some burb, blah, blah, blah.....(maybe a set up by programming)they ask her what her favorite "classic rock" band is. Van Halen, she replies.
They ask her to introduce the next song............... Jump ('84)

I guess we need a "grandfather clause" to our 1980 cutoff date.

Mar 31 2004, 09:59 AM
DAN HOWARD SAID:
Most overrated of the 90s - Nirvana - Nevermind (if that was such a great and influential album, how come grunge only lasted about 5 years and got usurped by Britney Spears?)

THE OVERRATED JOHN McENROE SAYS

You CAN'T be serious!

pterodactyl
Mar 31 2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the birthday acknowlegment marka. 47 and counting. My wish is for a b-day ace. After I go to the course, I'm going to Tower Records to get something good, then Ploynesian food, and top it off with the new Jim Carey movie!

Favorite band of the day: CAKE!

Chris Hysell
Mar 31 2004, 12:38 PM
Happy B-Day Kenny Lee.

If I have ever had a favorite rock album it would be Pink Floyd, The Wall. That's based on both the album and movie.

pterodactyl
Mar 31 2004, 12:40 PM
Yesterday & Today rocked hard in this area being of SF origin. I saw them a couple of times. Very loud!!!

Not Nugent loud though. We used to call him: Ted on 10.

pterodactyl
Mar 31 2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks Chris.

It's difficult (not hard), but I think my favorite, all-time album is Quadrophenia! I love to listen to it when it's raining outside (and in the corner of my garage).

Mar 31 2004, 01:12 PM
HAPPY B-DAY PTERODACTYL!!!!!!

METALLICA RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 31 2004, 01:12 PM
CLASSIC METALLICA, that is......

Mar 31 2004, 01:24 PM
peter frampton

scottsearles
Mar 31 2004, 01:49 PM
HAPPY B-DAY K.L. :cool:

Hopefully i will make it down for a CVS event sometime and we can hook up for a round.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

Frampton? Maybe Humble Pie :cool:

Mar 31 2004, 02:28 PM
peter frampton

Frampton ROCKS!!!!!!!!

Mar 31 2004, 02:33 PM
humble pie 'I don't need no doctor" live
great cd scott :cool:

Mar 31 2004, 03:15 PM
Best album of the 80's - Pink Floyds The Wall (I like Janes Addiction's Nothings Shocking as a distant second)
Best album of the 90's - Tool's Aenima (followed closely by Undertow and OK Computer)

Dan, I think you're best albums of the 90's are laughable. They are good but not close to best.

Mar 31 2004, 03:22 PM
rolling stones"night at the circus"

sciencet_cher
Mar 31 2004, 03:23 PM
tool is laughable and twice at that!!!! :eek:

Mar 31 2004, 04:01 PM
THIS IS A TEST, part 2

Tuned in again to "The Loop"- WLUP, Chicago's Classic Rock station's Midday Marathon :

�Wheel In the Sky - Journey
�Rock Of Ages -'83- Def Lep :confused:
just as I was ready to tune out...�Oye Como Va
�TUSH !!!!!!!!!
:DFINALLY, the 1st song from an LP nominated on this thread :
�Born In The USA :D(do I get a prize for that? are there really any winners?)
<1st break>
�Life's Been Good - Walsh
< another 5 min. break? one more song and I'm OUT>
what's that? okay, I'll stay for 10 in a row (what I do for you guys)
�Comfortably Numb (Pizza God was 1st to enter that one)
�The Spirit Of Radio (LP not mentioned)
�Moving In Stereo(anthor for me ;))
� You Better You Bet
� "way down inside, I'm gonna give you my love" (Dan's runner-up entry)
� I Still Haven't Found...Looking For (that's 3 :cool:*note: I still haven't heard who Dan was talking about)
�Message In A Bottle
�Sister Christian - Night Ranger (BURN IT! BURN IT NOW ! I'm proud to say I had to google to find out who this was; I sheltered myself successfully)
�Walk This Way
�You Can't Kill Rock &amp; Roll (unless you keep playin [*****] like Night Ranger....)
< another break >
�Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
< break, one more song, I mean it >
drum roll please.....�SOMETHING ABOUT YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL)

Mar 31 2004, 04:02 PM
Raffi - Baby Beluga

Mar 31 2004, 04:39 PM
Best album of the 80's - Pink Floyds The Wall (I like Janes Addiction's Nothings Shocking as a distant second)
Best album of the 90's - Tool's Aenima (followed closely by Undertow and OK Computer)

Dan, I think you're best albums of the 90's are laughable. They are good but not close to best.

Hey, I'll endure the heat for Scorpions, but are you serious with Tool? OK Computer seems to be on the tops of a lot of critics lists, which could explain why I can't comprehend anyone listening to it more than once. Creep is about the only Radiohead tune I don't turn off, and that's just because of the chunka-chunka distorted guitar part.

The Wall I can understand, but Jane's Addiction? Over G'n'R? If you agreed with Santoro's choice of Texas Flood I'd give ya some props, different genre, great album.

axldog
Mar 31 2004, 04:46 PM
Fun thread! Lots of good music out there. I'm surprised AC/DC hasn't been mentioned. Or that lil' ol' band from Texas ... ZZTop. My favorites are Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Cream, anything with that electric acid blues sound. However, my favorite album of all time is ...

APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION

Mar 31 2004, 04:48 PM
Definate agreeance on AFD being a great album, not sure I woudl name it my #1 ll time though....

Gee...and whoda thunk it, someone with AXL in their nick, to be a GnR freak....

;)

Mar 31 2004, 04:59 PM
janis joplin's greatest hits

Mar 31 2004, 10:57 PM
Hey sciencet, I guess Tool is laughable if you're one of those shiny happy people that listens to REM (but I guess everything is). Tool is the Zep of the 90's (I am not calling Tool Zep, nobody is close to Zep). Before you jump on that let me give you my reasoning. First off Tool has been sucessful without pushing themselves out into the public (tv shows, mass interviews/publicity to push their albums). Second, they haven't released singles but get airplay on radio. Third, their singer has one of the best voices in rock and their drummer/guitarist/bass players are the best of the genre. Fourth, they aren't afraid to change and push the boundries of rock (lateralus). Yes, the genre they are in may be the most fat and bloated that any genre has ever been (at the present at least) but these guys are the real thing and the only band in the genre that I like. Their shows = unbelievable. REM shows = *** men in tights. As for the album Aenima, 4 songs get play on the radio even though the music is not "mainstream". Yes, now the mainstream has caught up with Tool but at the time recycled grunge was all the rage. All the other songs on the album rock and rock hard at that. The only albums that I can think of that have a harder sound would be Undertow, The Downward Spiral, Broken, or RATM.

Mar 31 2004, 10:58 PM
Now that I think about it the first RATM album is the best album of the 90's.

Mar 31 2004, 11:13 PM
THIS IS A TEST, part 2

Tuned in again to "The Loop"- WLUP, Chicago's Classic Rock station's Midday Marathon :

�Home Sweet Home - Peter Gabriel
(LOL)

Sorry no such song ... Perhaps it was Solsbury Hill where he talks about they've come to take me home. It was a very popular song.
No slight intended I only know because of my PG obsession :D

Mar 31 2004, 11:18 PM
humble pie 'I don't need no doctor" live
great cd scott :cool:

Humble Pie "Rockin' The Fillmore" has the very best live version of "I don't need no doctor" by far ... just ask my 8 track tape version I still have :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mar 31 2004, 11:22 PM
thanks - you're too kind for my [*****] up.
I do admire his style, but it's obvious that maybe I should listen to the 6 LPs of his I own (bought at the thrift stores - near mint, 50 cents to a dollar) :eek:

Home Sweet Home is on the 2nd self-titled LP, '78

Mar 31 2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the fun with this thread Dan. Just the amount of discussion is a credit to music from back in the day. These days there is no real musicianship in music very much and certainly most bands best new CD's amount to the CD single. Not very many bands putting out good, serious music in abundance all on one CD. I really like too many different bands to say 1 specific album, but would throw out Steely Dan Aja against almost anything also.

Mar 31 2004, 11:31 PM
You definitely should , especially the 3rd LP or "Melt" as they call it due to the face melting picture. It rocks real hard and songs like I Don't Remember and Games without Frontiers really rock. It's too late to see him now as he is in Europe touring but his last tour at the end of 2002 and summer of 2003 were among the best stage shows you will ever see. Just Pick Up the DVD of Growing Up tour this last year and watch it, it is unbelievable or even his Secret World Live DVD from 10 years ago when he toured with Paula Cole as his Back Up Female singer. You would never regret it.. guaranteed :cool::cool::cool:

Mar 31 2004, 11:46 PM
ya, I owe it to myself to fill that void

slo
Apr 01 2004, 04:19 AM
No claim to "greatest," but great nevertheless, and not yet mentioned [or I missed it]:
'Surrealistic Pillow' [1969] by the Jefferson Airplane. 'Volunteers' is generally considered to be 'better,' but this one got all the airplay, and put the Sanfran sound on the map: "White Rabbit," "Someone to Love," and to a lesser degree, "3/5 of a mile in 10 Seconds" were all smashes.

'Buffalo Springfield Again' [1967] by Buffalo Springfield. Everybody knows Stephen Stills and Neil Young were in this group, right? This is practically a greatest hits album...the later 'Retrospective' is precisely that. They only recorded 3 lps, but recently came out with the 4-disc 'Box Set' {sic}, including outakes and demos. It's great, too. Anybody ever notice they spelt 'buffaloe' wrong?

'Joe Cocker!' [1969] by Joe Cocker. NOT the one titled 'Joe Cocker'. On the album with the "!" you can find "Delta Lady" [written by Leon Russell, who co-produced and played in his back-up unit, The Grease Band], and "Hitchcock Railway.�

...for now...

Apr 01 2004, 11:26 AM
tool is laughable and twice at that!!!! :eek:

TOOL is good music, but hardly classic.....

And I saw them live, and was majory disappointed.....

maynard must think he is uber special or something, stayed at the back of the stage, in NO light, during the whole show, andpulled the "OI'm too good for an encore" at the end, as i heard they always do....

What a waste of money....

And I LIKE their albums....

:(

circle_2
Apr 01 2004, 11:36 AM
My gal said that Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps needs mentioning...
Neil is one of the few artists out there...that anyone can sing along with ...and sound GREAT! /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Apr 01 2004, 12:21 PM
meatloaf "paradise by the dashboard lights" :o

Apr 01 2004, 12:34 PM
Ween - "12 Great country hits"...and the CD only has 10 songs or Cheese and Chocolate by the aformentioned group.

md21954
Apr 01 2004, 12:36 PM
definitly chocolate and cheese!

www.ween.com (http://www.ween.com)

Apr 01 2004, 12:40 PM
Amazing, I was just thinking about that this morning (Chocolate and Cheese) and it definitely needs to be added to the 90s list if nothing else than for the classic line "Maybe I'll sell you a chicken, with poison interlaced wis da meat."

I would also add Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

scottsearles
Apr 01 2004, 12:46 PM
:cool::cool: ZAPPA /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ;)

Not really Classic Roc ;) but still really good tune'Z

pterodactyl
Apr 01 2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks again Schmack and Scott. Hope to play a round or two with you boys some day. Yesterday was a RIOT!! KL

Anybody out there have the "In Through The Out Door" album.
LZep made 4 different sleeves for this. It is water sensitive. If you add water to the sleeve, the colors come out. Totally awesome idea. Check it out...KL

Album covers are a lost art...CDs are just too small.

Apr 01 2004, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE]

joe's garage is a classic,one of my all time fav's

Apr 01 2004, 01:24 PM
I prefer...Mister Won't you please help my pony. or Spinal meningitis got me down....but the best is "**** up a rope"

I need to see WEEN in concert...I'm sure there is nothing else like them!

md21954
Apr 01 2004, 01:33 PM
...you can **** up a rope and feel the pissy dribble
you can **** up a rope and watch me giggle... :D

Apr 01 2004, 01:57 PM
I just think that it is truly amazing that out of the 7 people on the whole planet who listen to Ween, 3 of them play disc golf and post on this message board. What are the odds of that.

Apr 01 2004, 02:00 PM
Matchu here in houston listens to WEEN, and is a DGer.....

niche music for sure.....

jmonny
Apr 01 2004, 02:05 PM
Dan......Thinking of your original reason for choosing "Boston", I think "Back in Black" has gotta be a winner because of the huge airplay to this day. Hells Bells, Shoot to Thrill, Back in Black, You Shook Me, Have a Drink on Me, Shake a Leg, Noise Pollution....My personal favs though are Zep and Floyd and Skynard "Pronounced"

Apr 01 2004, 02:07 PM
BACK IN BLACK, has got to be in my top 3 albums all time, no question.....

md21954
Apr 01 2004, 02:08 PM
the brothers ween have more of a following than you might think.

i think their diversity and range is very similar to zappa, and based on what you've posted previously, i'm certain there are a few ween tunes that would get your toe tappin'.

www.ween.com (http://www.ween.com)

Apr 01 2004, 02:12 PM
RE: In Through The Out Door

The "sleeves" - for you kids that's what protects the LP inside the "cover" :p- are all the same, with 1 watercolorable picture per side.

The covers are different.
There are 6 different covers - 12 different images total.
On the spine you'll find them labeled A thru F.
Now, there are 6 different people in the bar besides the "hero" at the bar.
When you lay them out in order with the front of the cover facing up, the point of view for LP "A" is from The Old Man Customer, B from the Blonde Hooker, and so forth around the bar in a clockwise direction.
The fronts all have a swiped out area over the hero, and is handtinted. Also, in each picture, he is burning the letter.
The back of the cover has no handtinted area, and he hasn't started the fire yet.

The viewpoint on front of A is the same as the back of D
The viewpoint on front of D is the same as the back of A
B &amp; E likewise
C &amp; F follows suit.

I found each LP at thrift stores/tag sales $.50 - $1
Each near mint, including the record, each with brown outer baggie in tact.
One of the highlights of my collection.

scottsearles
Apr 01 2004, 02:38 PM
I found each LP at thrift stores/tag sales $.50 - $1
Each near mint, including the record, each with brown outer baggie in tact.
One of the highlights of my collection.

:eek: What a STEAL :eek:

:cool:"The DOOBIE BROTHER'S" :cool:

Apr 01 2004, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE]
truly amazing that out of the 7 people on the whole planet who listen to Ween, 3 of them play disc golf [QUOTE]

Not really...we crank "**** up a rope" right after Dueling Banjos on Saturday Morning during the WVO to get everyone ready for the west virgina day!

Guh-Guh...

MS

Apr 01 2004, 02:50 PM
Seriously, the only people that I have ever met who have heard of Ween are disc golfers. Not my cup of tea though.

slo
Apr 01 2004, 02:58 PM
Not sure why Zappa wouldn't be considered classic rock...[?]. In fact, people who date the 'classic rock' era back to '65 rather than '66 could use 'Freak Out' [or the Kinks' "You Really got Me"] as an argument..."Trouble Every Day" from 'Freak Out' is one of the all time great rock songs, and is arguably the first 'rap' song [although Dylan could lay claim to that, too].

I don�t believe I've seen this one mentioned yet, but it certainly meets the 'radio saturation' standard: 'Decade' [1976] by Neil Young. Brother Neil is finishing up his third decade as a major player, but this one covers his first, including work with Buffalo Springfield. Some of the hits: "Cinnamon Girl," "Sugar Mountain," [4 dead in] "Ohio," "The Needle and the Damage Done," "Cowgirl in the Sand," "Heart of Gold," "Like a Hurricane"...and many others; I didn't even mention any of the Springfield songs.

md21954
Apr 01 2004, 03:10 PM
the full custom gospel sounds of the reverend horton heat!

Apr 01 2004, 03:50 PM

joe's garage is a classic,one of my all time fav's

...as Joe imagines his last, imaginary, guitar solo...

:D

I was lucky enough to see Zappa, and his incredible band, on that tour (or maybe the one after, not sure). From the 13th row on the floor, it was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen. Wish I could remember more of it. :)

md21954
Apr 01 2004, 03:56 PM
did you know...? zappa was a baltimore native.

he's definitly in the top 5 of acts that i wish i had the opportunity to see live.

his autobiography is a very good read.

Apr 01 2004, 03:58 PM
Tinsletown tour, but better than never-still have the program;folding chairs on the arena floora, Dora...
BTW, Mark, My Hemispheres show opened with Golden Earring - great drummer.

Apr 01 2004, 04:04 PM
Tinsletown tour, but better than never-still have the program;folding chairs on the arena floora, Dora...
BTW, Mark, My Hemispheres show opened with Golden Earring - great drummer.

GE's drummer or THE MAN, Neil Peart? :)

Apr 01 2004, 04:08 PM
I was lucky enough to see Zappa, and his incredible band, on that tour (or maybe the one after, not sure). From the 13th row on the floor, it was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen. Wish I could remember more of it. :)

i saw zappa in 1981 in germany on a soccer field,it was one of the best concerts i ever went too,me too i don't remember much of the 80's :cool:

Apr 01 2004, 04:18 PM
me too i don't remember much of the 80's :cool:

But we're better now, right? :D

Apr 01 2004, 04:26 PM
[/QUOTE] But we're better now, right? :D

[/QUOTE]
O YEAH /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sciencet_cher
Apr 01 2004, 04:29 PM
I thought that might get a response out of you!!! Just fun'n!! :D Actually this type of discussion is useless, we all have our own opinion, might as well start a thread that says disagree with me!!!

pterodactyl
Apr 01 2004, 08:15 PM
Ching, you are my hero for setting that "record" straight.
I'm off to Replay Records right now to look for more copies. That is totally cool that you have all of them. I need to see that. I had only heard about it. Sorry for posting the misinformation. I didn't even bother to pull my 1 copy out. I forgot that it was packaged in a brown paper bag. LZ outdid themselves. KL
-------------------------------------------------------
****!!! Look at my post count!!!!!!Yikes...eeyahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh(from "We won't get fooled again)!!!

Apr 01 2004, 09:26 PM
Truly one of the GREATEST song for song "classic rock" LPs is Killer by Alice Cooper. Billion $ & Nightmare are great pieces, but Killer is their masterpiece.

Another thrift find was an unsoiled pair of paper panties that was the original sleeve for School's Out...

web bite:
The famous `Live at the Hollywood Bowl`/`We`re All Crazier The You Are`show.
Wolfman Jack introduces the band from a camel.
One of the most well-known Alice Cooper concert stories is the Hollywood Bowl show '72 where hundreds of the paper panties were dropped on the audience from a helicopter. Supposedly the helicopter pilot that they hired to do that was fined for flying too low.

Everything was a decadent waste of money. That was one of the purposes. The most decadent waste of money was the dropping of the panties - 18,000 pair of panties from an airplane on all the people who came to see him at the Hollywood Bowl. It ended up costing about $100,000 to do the panty drop, because it was illegal to do it, and the pilot went to jail for a couple of months, and we had to support his family, and pay for his career.

Apr 02 2004, 04:21 AM
I thought that might get a response out of you!!! Just fun'n!! :D Actually this type of discussion is useless, we all have our own opinion, might as well start a thread that says disagree with me!!!

James, I disagree with you.

Apr 02 2004, 11:54 AM
"Meddle" Pink Floyd

without hesitation or doubt

pterodactyl
Apr 02 2004, 12:25 PM
The Stones dropped ping pong balls from a plane at a SF concert in the 70's. They had the "lick" insignia on them. My friend got one!

Apr 02 2004, 09:58 PM
The Stones dropped ping pong balls from a plane at a SF concert in the 70's. They had the "lick" insignia on them. My friend got one!

Your friend got balled by the Stones in SF ? :D:D:D

Apr 02 2004, 10:02 PM
Truly one of the GREATEST song for song "classic rock" LPs is Killer by Alice Cooper. Billion $ & Nightmare are great pieces, but Killer is their masterpiece.

Another thrift find was an unsoiled pair of paper panties that was the original sleeve for School's Out...

web bite:
The famous `Live at the Hollywood Bowl`/`We`re All Crazier The You Are`show.
Wolfman Jack introduces the band from a camel.
One of the most well-known Alice Cooper concert stories is the Hollywood Bowl show '72 where hundreds of the paper panties were dropped on the audience from a helicopter. Supposedly the helicopter pilot that they hired to do that was fined for flying too low.

Everything was a decadent waste of money. That was one of the purposes. The most decadent waste of money was the dropping of the panties - 18,000 pair of panties from an airplane on all the people who came to see him at the Hollywood Bowl. It ended up costing about $100,000 to do the panty drop, because it was illegal to do it, and the pilot went to jail for a couple of months, and we had to support his family, and pay for his career.

Killer and Love it to Death are still high up on the list... The panties thing was probably associated with the School's Out LP that looked like a school wooden desk complete with graffiti and carvings in it and the vinyl ( I almost said Disc) had a pair of panties over it instead of a jacket cover. I still have it. The marketing genious was that the panties didn't protect the LP so it scratched and needed to be replaced. Great album though also ... many good songs.

Apr 02 2004, 10:04 PM
"Meddle" Pink Floyd

without hesitation or doubt

Is there an echo in here ? :D

scottsearles
Apr 03 2004, 02:29 PM
:cool:AEROSMITH "TOY'S IN THE ATTIC" :cool:

Tom Petty
Early Bad Company
Cheap Trick

:cool:DISSCUST AMONGST URSELVE'S ;)

magilla
Apr 03 2004, 10:08 PM
Pink Floyd's - Meddle & Dark Side of the Moon

E.L.P. - Brain Salad Surgery

Rush - 2112

and EVERY THING by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Apr 03 2004, 10:20 PM

As if Wish You Were Here and Animals and The Wall and even Division Bell are not all as good .... I guess I have a tough time choosing favorites with Pink Floyd as I'm sure many others do. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

scottsearles
Apr 04 2004, 03:15 AM

As if Wish You Were Here and Animals and The Wall and even Division Bell are not all as good .... I guess I have a tough time choosing favorites with Pink Floyd as I'm sure many others do. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

:cool:Umaguma " Several small furry creature's gathered together in a cave with a pict" :cool:

Apr 04 2004, 09:57 AM
[quote
:cool:Umaguma " Several small furry creature's gathered together in a cave with a pict" :cool:

[/QUOTE]

I know there is a "species" in there somewhere I think as the second word ... And they are "Grooving" also with that darn Pict .... I would have to go look and I'm too lazy this morning :D

Apr 04 2004, 10:01 AM
E.L.P. - Brain Salad Surgery

Hey all you Texas guys .... Would I be correct to assume your good friend My Hero's favorite classic rock album of all time MUST be E.L.P "Brain Salad Tossing Surgery" ???? :D

my_hero
Apr 04 2004, 11:44 AM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottsearles
Apr 04 2004, 01:09 PM
[quote

I know there is a "species" in there somewhere I think as the second word ... And they are "Grooving" also with that darn Pict .... I would have to go look and I'm too lazy this morning :D

[/QUOTE]

:cool:Thanx it has been many year's ;) Since i have heard that song it just kinda came to me in a DREAM /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ;)

scottsearles
Apr 04 2004, 01:09 PM
[quote

[/QUOTE]

:cool:Thanx it has been many year's ;) Since i have heard that song it just kinda came to me in a DREAM /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ;)while comfortably numb :eek:

Apr 04 2004, 01:13 PM
Maybe I shouldn't ask what induced that dream. But to suddenly dream of Psychodelic songs from years ago screams FLASHBACK :D:D:D

Apr 04 2004, 01:14 PM
Ummagumma blows. You would have to be on something psychadelic to enjoy the songs (if that is what you choose to call them) on that album.

Apr 04 2004, 11:30 PM

I'm kinda partial to Animals and Wish You Were here, myself. :)

Apr 05 2004, 06:40 PM
I'm kinda partial to Animals and Wish You Were here, myself. :)

[/QUOTE]

Dogs absolutely rules for listening pleasure right there with Shine on You Crazy Diamond .... all parts even the ones they haven't written yet ;)

Dana
Apr 06 2004, 02:34 AM
pink floyd - (((meddle))) = musical perfection
maybe not the best, but my fav.

Apr 06 2004, 07:17 PM
led zipplen "song remains the same"

slo
Apr 08 2004, 04:47 PM
I think the latest [2x] LZ dvd is far more interesting than the record or movie of 'Song Remains'. A much greater variety of shots than your typical LZ video. Plus dvd [or even dvd-to-vhs] sound is better than cd, approaching clean vinyl in "thereness".

axldog
Apr 09 2004, 03:55 PM
Yes! The new (it came out last May )Led Zeppelin DVD is phenomenal! I got the 2 DVD set & the 3 CD set "How The West Was Won" for less than $30 at Walmart. That's right, all 5 discs for under $30. Led Zeppelin Rules!!!

Apr 09 2004, 04:21 PM
led zipplen "song remains the same"

agreed/\

slo
Apr 09 2004, 05:03 PM
RVA, have you checked out the new LZ DVD set? As I mentioned, great, early footage, and done with a lot of care...some of the video is a composite of different shows, but it all jibes...and LOTS of never-before, etc. Every serious Led-hed should at least RENT this one...

...any more 'classic' rock moments? Are you guys ready to talk about the END of this era, and why? I was there!

Apr 09 2004, 05:13 PM
yeah, i've heard about that and have been meaning to check it out. probably will hitch a ride up to Best Buy to buy cause im sure if i rent it i will just end up buying it anyways

Apr 09 2004, 06:02 PM
the floyd's dark side of the moon. best ever! :D

Apr 09 2004, 06:15 PM
i'll 2nd that one :)

slo
Apr 10 2004, 04:06 PM
*sigh*
We went over this maybe 9 pages ago...
Favorite? Without a doubt.
Greatest? Certainly an argument, considering radio-saturation, and sales [something like 5+ years on the Billboard top-album list].
But "best"? Like the Beatles' 'Pepper' and the Stones' 'Exile,' How can 'DSOTM' be the "best" classic-rock album of all time, when it's not even that groups' best?!?

circle_2
Apr 10 2004, 04:41 PM
I guess my 'Greatest Album' criteria would be the overall quality of the 'all' the songs...so it's hard to argue with Boston/Boston...in spite of the friggin' overkill by radio stations for the last 25+ years!

Van Halen made some interesting albums with few bum songs on them. I and II were raw and pure. Also, Diver Down comes to mind...and it contains a sleeper of a ballad in "Secrets"...

I saw VH while in Germany in 1980 at Sindelfingen. Was awesome, no doubt! The opening act? Lucifer's Friend. I believe that VH stole some of their antics and style...

If I had chosen to travel another 100 miles that same night, I would have seen one of Led Zepplin's final shows...as John Bonham died a few days later.

"Your's is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time..." - All of My Love

slo
Apr 10 2004, 05:21 PM
I had something to say about 'quality vs. greatness' a half-dozen pages ago, but strictly in terms of quality, are there really people who believe 'Boston' is of higher quality than 'Who's Next'? Well, that's why I read threads, I guess...all opinions are valid...I think mine is more indicative of m-m-my generation [saw the Beatles on Sullivan].
Here's another spin/opinion: Both 'My Generation' [the import {Virgin V 2179 (1965)} version, natch] and 'Are You Experienced?' were better 'classic-rock' DEBUT ALBUMS than 'Boston'...FM wasn't around for the benefit of those first two, or we might be fooled into going mobile to get in tune to sing a song which is over, behind blue eyes, again.

Apr 11 2004, 10:20 AM
I have just reaquainted myself with Foghat "Energized" and I would recommend everyone else does also. It wasn't their most popular but is solid all the way through. Hard to believe that as good as Savoy Brown was and how blues oriented they were that they pretty much sent out 1 guy and reformed as Foghat. Foghat rocks :D

discette
Apr 11 2004, 12:55 PM
I can't resist posting.

I don't want to get in on the argument about what Classic Rock is or is not. The original question asked for the most overplayed album of all time and I would be hard pressed not to agree with Boston. I have heard "More Than a Feeling" waaaaaay more times than any human should be subjected to. So, I would agree with the original post. The album is still in heavy rotation on the local classic rock station. I owned that album, along with Rumors, Frampton Comes Alive, Bob Seger Night Moves, and Fly Like an Eagle. All were overplayed before the 80's ever arrived!!!!! I do not own them on CD, and I switch the radio when they come on. I don't need to hear those albums ever again. Yes, they were great albums in the day, but they don�t stand the test of time in my mind.

Now let's change the subject! Which CD's do you own that you couldn't live without, and/or that you enjoy hearing over and over again. Here are my favorite rock albums of all time. I don't care if it has been 20 years or not, I think everyone should own these albums!!!!!! These are in alphabetical order, because I couldn't possibly choose a favorite!

The question to ask yourself is: If something were to happen to any of these CD�s, would I go to the store tomorrow and pay to have it replaced??????

AudioSlave - AudioSlave
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Led Zeppelin - 4 (ZOSO)
Live - Throwing Copper
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Metalica - Black
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
The Police - Synchronicity
Rush - 2112
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Tool - Anema
U2 - Achtung Baby!
Van Halen - 1984
Who - Who's Next

Honorable mentions to:
Alice in Chains - Nothing Safe Best of the Box
Led Zeppelin 1, 2 & 3
ZZ Top - Eliminator

If I had to choose just one.....I couldn't do it, but would lean towards Who's Next, Nevermind and 1984.

slo
Apr 11 2004, 04:08 PM
Discette, another term for your 'irreplaceable' list would be 'desert island' discs...but you knew that.

...sheesh, I'm privy to some insider info on you, but I still don't feel comfortable spilling it...have you divulged [somewhere on the board] WHY you no longer list a location, etc.?

Apr 11 2004, 11:55 PM
Cool list Discette, it's interesting that one man (or woman's) overplayed is another's favorite, and vice versa. I feel the same way about Who's Next (and was kinda bored of it maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I listened to it) as you do about Boston, and vice versa. After almost 30 years of listening to it, I still crank 'Peace of Mind' when it comes on. On the other hand, Baba O'Riley makes me immediately flip the channel.

Maybe we should have done a different thread, but here's my list, in the order that they came to me. Not sure how many there will be. I don't want to put greatest hits albums on here, that's kinda like cheating I think.

Boston/Boston
Derek & the Dominoes/Layla
Black Crowes/Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
Guns 'n' Roses/Appetite For Destruction
Guns 'n' Roses/Use Your Illusion II
Lynyrd Skynyrd/Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Stevie Ray Vaughn/Texas Flood
Scorpions/Love At First Sting
Bruce Springsteen/Born To Run
Gary Moore/Still Got The Blues
Weezer/The Green Album (whatever the hell it's called)
The Beatles/Abbey Road
Alice In Chains/Dirt
Pat Benatar/Crimes of Passion
Rush/2112

quickdisc
Apr 12 2004, 01:15 AM
I can't resist posting.

I don't want to get in on the argument about what Classic Rock is or is not. The original question asked for the most overplayed album of all time and I would be hard pressed not to agree with Boston. I have heard "More Than a Feeling" waaaaaay more times than any human should be subjected to. So, I would agree with the original post. The album is still in heavy rotation on the local classic rock station. I owned that album, along with Rumors, Frampton Comes Alive, Bob Seger Night Moves, and Fly Like an Eagle. All were overplayed before the 80's ever arrived!!!!! I do not own them on CD, and I switch the radio when they come on. I don't need to hear those albums ever again. Yes, they were great albums in the day, but they don�t stand the test of time in my mind.

Now let's change the subject! Which CD's do you own that you couldn't live without, and/or that you enjoy hearing over and over again. Here are my favorite rock albums of all time. I don't care if it has been 20 years or not, I think everyone should own these albums!!!!!! These are in alphabetical order, because I couldn't possibly choose a favorite!

The question to ask yourself is: If something were to happen to any of these CD�s, would I go to the store tomorrow and pay to have it replaced??????

AudioSlave - AudioSlave
Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Led Zeppelin - 4 (ZOSO)
Live - Throwing Copper
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Metalica - Black
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - Ten
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
The Police - Synchronicity
Rush - 2112
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Tool - Anema
U2 - Achtung Baby!
Van Halen - 1984
Who - Who's Next

Honorable mentions to:
Alice in Chains - Nothing Safe Best of the Box
Led Zeppelin 1, 2 & 3
ZZ Top - Eliminator

If I had to choose just one.....I couldn't do it, but would lean towards Who's Next, Nevermind and 1984.

Very cool Discette................seen al these groups Live in concert. :cool:

quickdisc
Apr 12 2004, 01:17 AM
Cool list Discette, it's interesting that one man (or woman's) overplayed is another's favorite, and vice versa. I feel the same way about Who's Next (and was kinda bored of it maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I listened to it) as you do about Boston, and vice versa. After almost 30 years of listening to it, I still crank 'Peace of Mind' when it comes on. On the other hand, Baba O'Riley makes me immediately flip the channel.

Maybe we should have done a different thread, but here's my list, in the order that they came to me. Not sure how many there will be. I don't want to put greatest hits albums on here, that's kinda like cheating I think.

Boston/Boston
Derek & the Dominoes/Layla
Black Crowes/Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
Guns 'n' Roses/Appetite For Destruction
Guns 'n' Roses/Use Your Illusion II
Lynyrd Skynyrd/Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Stevie Ray Vaughn/Texas Flood
Scorpions/Love At First Sting
Bruce Springsteen/Born To Run
Weezer/The Green Album (whatever the hell it's called)
The Beatles/Abbey Road
Alice In Chains/Dirt
Pat Benatar/Crimes of Passion
Rush/2112

Also cool Dan........seen these groups Live as well.
My lists are similar , again way too many groups to list. :cool:

Apr 12 2004, 01:58 AM

very nice addition

Don't expect me to weed through my 2,200+ alphabetical list of LPs.
Maybe if I limit myself 1 per letter? Nah....Impossible

Apr 12 2004, 02:23 AM
The list of albums i would have to automatically replace if lost would be

Slipknot- Iowa
Tool- Lateralus and Aenima
Rage Against the Machine.- Self titled
Pink Floyd- DSOTM
Led Zepplin- I&II
Metallica - and justice for all
Meshuggah - Nothing
A perfect circle - mere de nomes
Black Sabbath - Black sabbath
Korn - Self titled
deftones - adrenaline
Mudvayne - L.D. 50
Primus - sailing the seas of cheese
Sublime - self titled
Aerosmith - toys in the attic

Apr 12 2004, 02:36 AM
Thanks guys for finally opening this up a bit. I like a lot of different stuff and there's no way that I could pick a best or even a favorite. There's an equally small chance that I could list only a given number. It really depends on my mood on the day I'm asked.

At any rate, and knowing that not many, if anyone, actually cares, here's a list of some of my all time faves, in no order whatsoever. I listed a few greatest hits type albums, because these are the ones I listen to. (And sorry about the duplication, but Discette and Dan have good tastes, what can I say. :) )

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky (I love everything before Lawyers in love, but this is my fave. He's my songwriting idol, always has been and always will be.)
Alice In Chains - Dirt (I listen to this at least 3 times a week.)
Boston - Boston ('Nuff said.)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors (shame on you Discette!)
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (His best Album ever!)
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Tesla - Machanical Resonance (The best album from one of the best hair bands ever. Nice guys too, playing with them was one highlight of my wannabe rock star career.)
Allman Bros. - Beginnings (Screw it, any Allman Bros., especially my double live bootleg with Zakk Wylde filling in for Brother Dickey at Great Woods Ampitheater in '98, I think.)
Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (Trust me, not a bad song on it.)
Metallica - Master of Puppets (Their best, imo.)
Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash
Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits
Kings X - Dogman (Seen 'em twice and played with 'em once. They make a lot of great music live for 3 guys.)
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble - Texas Flood
Arc Angels - Arc Angels (Surviving members of Double Trouble with Charlie Sexton and Doyle Bramhall II.)
Kiss - Destroyer (C'mon, be honest, you know you bought it for Beth when you were 12.)
Kid Rock - Devil Without a Cause (I'll catch it for this one.)
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Legend (Undeniable greatness!)
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic (or Rocks, or Pump or Draw The Line or whatever.)
Bon Jovi - New Jersey (SHUTUP!)
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love (Vince is a very funny guy who is a lot cooler in person than you might think.)
Sass Jordan - Rats (You owe it to yourself to hear this if you haven't.)
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (On most days, but Let It Bleed and Some Girls are always just a mood swing away.)
Beatles - Abbey Road (How do you pick a favorite Beatles Album? They're all great!)
Pride and Glory - Pride and Glory (Zakk is GOD, and a nice guy too! Book of Shadows is also right there.)
Eric Clapton - The History of Eric Clapton
The Who - Who's Next
Yes - Yessongs (Triple live album that's kind of a best of. Seen 'em twice and they are unbelievable.)
Rush - 2112 (Or Farewell to Kings, or Hemispheres, or Moving Pictures or All the World's A Stage, take your pick.)
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin I (They're all outstanding and III is waaaaaay underrated.)
Heart - Dreamboat Annie (Although Dog &amp; Butterfly has the greatest song I've ever seen performed live (because of special circumstances), Mistral Wind.)
Sammy Hagar - All Night Long (A great early live album that includes Bad Motor Scooter, from his Montrose days.)
Van Halen - Van Halen (Admit it, this album changed guitar rock and you know it!)
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Live Bullet
Eagles - Desperado (Much better than Hotel California)
Linda Ronstadt - Greatest Hits
Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune (When I saw 'em in '79, their laser show got on thw wrong plane, but at least the 40' Godzilla made it to the show.)
Alan Parons Project - Pyramid (There's a lot of good stuff by APP, but this is my fave.)
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield (Do I really need to explain this one?)
Patsy Cline - Heartaches (Its a greatest hits album. Don't EVEN dog Patsy in my presence.)
Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue
Steeley Dan - Aja
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Cheap Trick - Live At Budokhan (How in the name of all that is holy has this not already been mentioned in this freaking thread?!?!)
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive (C'mon, you know you own it.)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (Its in the computer right now. And while we're at it...)
Audioslave - Audioslave (Its in the car.)
Journey - Infinity (This is the best album they ever did, BECAUSE, it mixes the best of Greg Rollie AND Steve Perry.)
Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell (Yeah, I know, but I can win any karaoke contest by singing Two Outta Three Ain't Bad. :) )
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stanger (Sorry, but it makes the all time list for me.)
Queen - Night at the Opera
The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta (Or Ghost in the Machine, I couldn't decide)
U2 - War
Pink Floyd - Animals (Tough choice, but that's what I think.)
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs (Its actually in my car's CD player right now.)
REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish (If you can listen to Time For Me To Fly and Roll With The Changes and not feel good, check your pulse, you may be deceased.)
Megadeth - Peace Sells (They're all good, but this is my fave.)
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell (I'll never forget the night at a local club that we were supposed to play the next night, we went to see Pantera and check the place out. Phil walked to the side of the stage in the middle of a song and puked on top of his light guy. Classic.)
Poison - Look What The Cat Dragged In (Anyone who agreed with the selection above this one, probably wants to beat the living crap outta me right now. :) CC Deville was fun to party with at least, even if he did trash one of my guitarist's Les Pauls.)
Three Dog Night - Captured Live At The Forum (Try a Little Tenderness is worth buying the album.)
Whitesnake - Slide It In
Simon and Garfunkel - Greatest Hits (Did I just type that out loud?)
Jean Luc-Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean (Just trust me.)
Joe Jackson - Night and Day (Remember, everything gives you cancer. :) )
Emerson Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery
AC/DC - Highway To Hell (By far their best album.)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (Oh no, please God help me.)
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (Don't it?)
Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest For The Wicked (I know its sacrilegious, but the guitar work on the albums with Randy (R.I.P.) don't hold a candle to this one.)

And, last but not least (well, actually, it probably is "least"),

Wasteland - Assorted Demos (Still don't know why Warner Bros. never called. We kicked ***. :) Drop me a PM and I'll email you some samples of this undiscovered talent. :) )

That was pretty much just stream of conciousness, thinking about what's in the car, on my desk and on my shelves. I'm sure I left out some faves, but I'm tired of typing and you're tired of reading. :)

BTW, Nirvana and Pearl Jam were intentional ommissions. Nirvana I couldn't give a shite about if I tried (Cobain is dead and he killed himself because he didn't want to be a rock star. Get over it.), and Pearl Jam only had one good album (Ten) and I don't own it.

Grunge bands from Seattle killed my musical career...but I'm not bitter. :)

Apr 12 2004, 09:46 AM
Wow, reading Mark's list brought back more memories than I thought I had left. I'm with you on about 50% of your picks but I've got to disagree, while KISS Destroyer is a fine album, Alive is the must have KISS album. Just about every guitar player I ever played with (with the exception of Dan Howard) lists KISS Alive as the first album they ever owned and Ace Frehley as the reason they play guitar.

For the record, Dan's first album was Saturday Night Fever (conspicuously absent from his must have list). :eek:

And I agree, grundge killed rock-n-roll and it set guitar playing back about 10 years.

discette
Apr 12 2004, 10:47 AM
Wow, Mark, Dan and everyone:

I need to go out and replace my Some Girls, Year of The Cat and Texas Flood, ASAP!! How could I have lived without these for sooo long?

I own these albums that were listed and have songs from each on my Mp3 they should make the list.

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Bon Jovi - New Jersey

I wish I could own all these:

Aerosmith - Toys in The Attic
Joe Jackson - Night & Day
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Foghat - Fool For the City
G & R - Use your Illusion II

Hey, has anyone metioned Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune?

AND.....to answer Slo:

...sheesh, I'm privy to some insider info on you, but I still don't feel comfortable spilling it...have you divulged [somewhere on the board] WHY you no longer list a location, etc.?

Steve, The only location I have ever listed in this new message board was "In Denial" and "Under the Basket".

Last month I took down my avitar, erased the stuff from my profile and made up the current signature when I "resigned" from further posting on the message board. Alas, I have been unable to stop reading DISCussion, and now, I have started posting again. So far, I have only posted on the "Stupid Game" thread, and I just had to chime in on this thread. (Nicki hasn't posted on either one!!!!Shhhhhh) I like the new chat room as well.

I don't think it is a secret that my current location is Rochester, Minnesota, and that I am in the process of moving to Southern California. :cool:

Apr 12 2004, 12:07 PM

What do you mean? Its on there. :D

quickdisc
Apr 12 2004, 01:12 PM
Wow, Mark, Dan and everyone:

I need to go out and replace my Some Girls, Year of The Cat and Texas Flood, ASAP!! How could I have lived without these for sooo long?

I own these albums that were listed and have songs from each on my Mp3 they should make the list.

Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Bon Jovi - New Jersey

I wish I could own all these:

Aerosmith - Toys in The Attic
Joe Jackson - Night & Day
Heart - Dreamboat Annie
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Foghat - Fool For the City
G & R - Use your Illusion II

AND.....to answer Slo:

Steve, The only location I have ever listed in this new message board was "In Denial" and "Under the Basket".

Last month I took down my avitar, erased the stuff from my profile and made up the current signature when I "resigned" from further posting on the message board. Alas, I have been unable to stop reading DISCussion, and now, I have started posting again. So far, I have only posted on the "Stupid Game" thread, and I just had to chime in on this thread. (Nicki hasn't posted on either one!!!!Shhhhhh) I like the new chat room as well.

I don't think it is a secret that my current location is Rochester, Minnesota, and that I am in the process of moving to Southern California. :cool:

Cool posts !!! It is difficult to name all the favorites. Plus there is new songs and CD's I haven't heard yet. Just bits and pieces of some great guitar licks and killer bootlegs . :D

Hey Discette, when you do decide to move to Southern California, you will enjoy the weather, not the traffic. ;)
It's not really that bad at certain times of the day.
Rush hour may test your patience though.
Nice to have a good CD player and air-conditioning while driving in the summertime.

See ya ,
Donny Olow
# 2656

slo
Apr 12 2004, 03:49 PM
I don't think it is a secret that my current location is Rochester, Minnesota, and that I am in the process of moving to Southern California.

...there's at least 2-3 more facets to that story, but I'm not saying what...not my place, but I'm jazzed...and looking forward to meeting you in person....

...glad somebody finally mentioned Rod's 'Every Picture...' he was great in the Faces, and Beck's group, and while his stuff in the late '70's was slicker, and mega-popular, this record is pure...too bad "Maggie May" got played to death. The standout, however, is "Mandolin Wind." How can a guy with such a crappy [sounding] voice sing a song that beautifully?!?

brookep
Apr 13 2004, 08:33 PM
Pink Floyd - Animals

NEngle
Apr 13 2004, 10:24 PM
Santana - Santana &amp; Abraxas
Allman Brothers - The Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, Live at the Fillmore East
Led Zepplin - III &amp; Presence
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed, Some Girls, Sticky Fingers &amp; Goat's Head Soup
Black Crowes - Amorica
Jimi - Electric Lady Land &amp; Axis-Bold as Love
Beatles - (White Album)
Van Morrison - Moondance
Lynyrd Skynrd - Nuthin' Fancy &amp; Street Survivors

Apr 13 2004, 10:33 PM
Pink Floyd - Animals

You Dog ... he said sheepishly ... trying not to be a pig :)

"You've got to be able to pick up the easy Duece with your eyes closed" PF to the DG

Jeff_LaG
Mar 12 2007, 12:52 PM
I personally think that the first Boston album is the greatest Classic Rock album of all time. BTW, I am not some huge Boston fan, in fact I don't even own the 2nd or 3rd album (and no one on the planet besides the band members own the 4th album).

My reasoning is this, that album is the only one I can think of that still gets pretty regular airplay of every song on it on your average 'classic rock' station. Besides the standards like More than a Feeling, Peace of Mind (maybe the greatest outro in Rock N Roll history), and Long Time, you still hear Smokin, Rock N Roll Band, Hitch a Ride, and Let Me Take You Home Tonight. The one song that gets the least amount of airplay is prolly Something About You, and that is (IMO) the best song on the album.

Now, granted, what some jackass program director at WPUD wants to play isn't necessarily indicative of a great song, but every where around the country I've been, that album gets a lot of play.

I'm sure people will talk about Dark Side of the Moon (wake me when it's over), Zep 2 or Zep 4 (I'd choose Zep 2 if I had to pick just one), and maybe Layla (great album but a few dry spots), but name me another non-greatest-hits album that gets as much play out of every single song on it.

According to infoplease, Boston is the 10th best selling album of all time, at 17 million copies. Not that that means anything tho, since Hootie and the Blowfish are right behind them at 16 million. You think they'll be playing Let Her Cry in 10 years? Yeah, right.

From: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/09/delp.dead.reut/

Brad Delp, the lead singer of the 1970s and '80s rock band Boston was found dead at his home in southern New Hampshire on Friday, local police said.

Delp, 55, apparently was home alone and there was no indication of foul play, Atkinson, New Hampshire, police said.

RIP Brad Delp. :(

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EQ47GS.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
1. More Than A Feeling
2. Peace Of Mind
3. Foreplay/Long Time
4. Rock & Roll Band
5. Smokin'
6. Hitch A Ride
7. Something About You
8. Let Me Take You Home Tonight</pre><hr />

circle_2
Mar 14 2007, 03:29 AM
Boston - Truly "Classic" Rock...overplayed.

RIP

bschweberger
Mar 26 2007, 11:36 PM
Floyd.....cant go wrong with any....but I will say......Darkside

rhett
Mar 27 2007, 04:00 PM

Bah. Wish You Were Here by a nasty nose-hair over Darkside.

rollinghedge
Mar 27 2007, 04:36 PM
Meddle.

And BTW, this could be the best album title (http://www.amazon.com/Not-Afraid-Will-Beat-Your/dp/B000GUK0HM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0780891-8459151?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175023077&sr=8-1) ever.

Jeff_LaG
Mar 27 2007, 04:48 PM

Bah. Wish You Were Here by a nasty nose-hair over Darkside.

Bzzzt. Animals is the greatest Pink Floyd album ever. Yes, better than The Wall, Dark Side and WYWH.

rhett
Mar 27 2007, 05:13 PM
Meddle is very good with the contrasting sides that beg the question: "Was 'This is Spinal Tap' based on this album?"

I like the Animals album, but it is IMHO rather "weak sauce" compared to the earlier albums.

All IMHO. And from a guy who had all Pink Floyd playing as the background music during dinner at his wedding reception. :)

bschweberger
Mar 27 2007, 06:37 PM
Can we really call Floyd Classic Rock? yes they have been around for a long time, but their sound was so far ahead of everybody else, it seems they will never be "Classic" rock.

Jeff_LaG
Mar 28 2007, 01:06 AM
Animals = weak sauce? Wow.

You had all Pink Floyd at your wedding? That's impressive.

rollinghedge
Mar 28 2007, 09:35 AM
Was "Money" playing while everyone was bringing in their gifts? :)

riverdog
Mar 28 2007, 10:00 AM
Was "Money" playing while everyone was bringing in their gifts? :)

Which, of course, begs the question of when to play "Dark Side of the Moon". :D

(thanks for the set up Chris) :cool:

circle_2
Mar 28 2007, 12:31 PM
Careful with that axe, Eugene... :eek: /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Gotta go with Wish You Were Here... :cool:

rhett
Mar 28 2007, 05:57 PM
You had all Pink Floyd at your wedding? That's impressive.

No, just only Floyd during dinner. :) Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Division Bell stuff...mellow tunes from various albums.

My mother in law didn't know what to expect, but ended up enjoying the mellow Floyd.

gotcha
Mar 29 2007, 10:00 AM
Minutes after purchasing my first cd player (1984), I recall driving to the local music store to buy my first cd. I knew exactly what I wanted, too....the cd version of my favorite album at the time, "Who's Next". Unfortunately, the store didn't have it in stock! I did purchase my first cd, however.....it was Pink Floyd "Animals".

discette
Mar 29 2007, 10:23 AM
"Who's Next" could aptly be titled the "Who's Greatest Hits". Don't leave home without it.

The first three CD's I ever bought for my brand new CD player in 1988 were "Dark Side of The Moon", Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" and Supertramp "Crime of the Century".

rhett
Mar 29 2007, 02:14 PM
I did purchase my first cd, however.....it was Pink Floyd "Animals".

"Animals" was the first new vinyl I purchased for first "good" stereo system when I was in high school. :) Elvis Costello's greatest hits was my first CD purchase because I'm a cheap bastaard and CDs cost a lot when they were new and that one had 74 minutes of music on it. :)

circle_2
Mar 30 2007, 01:57 AM
In '79-ish, the first 2 cassettes purchased for my new Audiovox car stereo with Jensen Triax speakers (in my '69 Mustang) were The Cars Candy-O & Van Halen I. /msgboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

"Candy-O, I need you..." ;)

Mar 30 2007, 01:59 PM
Van Halen - Fair Warning / Ozzy Osbourne- Diary of A Madman . Two classic's every song on both are great NO filler's.

johnbiscoe
Mar 30 2007, 02:46 PM
when i got my first cd player in 87(?) i also bought hendrix live at winterland, pink floyd more, and ministry the land of rape and honey.

i think the first vinyl i bought was eagles greatest 1971-75.

discette
Mar 30 2007, 03:48 PM
when i got my first cd player in 87(?) i also bought hendrix live at winterland, pink floyd more, and ministry the land of rape and honey.

i think the first vinyl i bought was eagles greatest 1971-75.

The first record (vinyl) I bought was Iron Butterfly In-a-gadda-da-vida. Don't ask me which year.

Sharky
Mar 30 2007, 03:50 PM
or what was on the other side..... :D

johnbiscoe
Mar 30 2007, 05:10 PM
actually i must correct myself- the first record i forced my parents to buy me was convoy by cw mccall- no idea what year.

veganray
Mar 30 2007, 05:41 PM
First 45: "Rubber Band Man" by The Spinners (B-side was "Now That We're Together", I believe)
First LP: "Cruisin'" by The Village People
First CD: "Speaking in Tongues" by Talking Heads

rhett
Mar 30 2007, 05:52 PM
First 45: "Rubber Band Man" by The Spinners

Crap, I bought that 45 too.

m_conners
Mar 30 2007, 06:52 PM
1991 - Nirvana "Nevermind"

Mar 30 2007, 06:58 PM
Aerosmith - PUMP ( 1st CD )

Jeff_Peters
Mar 30 2007, 08:40 PM
My first CD(s) owned was The Doors double live CD that was released around 1991 (yes it took me until '91 to give in). I wish I still had those, I jam to some of the tracks on Launchcast at work alot. Should I break down and buy one of those IPods?

m_conners
Mar 30 2007, 10:15 PM
JP:

You can buy refurbished I-pod's on ebay for a very good cost, 1/3 the price of a new one...you should check it out before you buy over-the-counter.

My first CD player I bought was for my Isuzu pickup, it was an in-dash JVC and it had a single cartridge for the one CD you wanted to play. Kind of like a 6 disc CD Changer but it only fit 1 CD.

gotcha
Mar 31 2007, 10:33 AM
the first record i forced my parents to buy me was convoy by cw mccall- no idea what year.

Ditto....In fact, I still have the 45! :cool:

dischick
Mar 31 2007, 05:09 PM
guns n roses baby!

Pizza God
Mar 31 2007, 08:18 PM
Got my CD player at Xmas of 84 :DSenior year in High School.

1st CD's I got were

Rush - Moving Pictures
The Who - Who's Next

All still in my CD collection and still get play.

Did you know that Dark Side of the Moon was a top 10 CD when it came out. It didn't stay on the Top 100 as long as the LP did though :D

denny1210
Apr 01 2007, 12:35 AM
Rush - Moving Pictures
The Who - Who's Next

All still in my CD collection and still get play.

within the first ten, anyway

Pizza God
Apr 01 2007, 01:01 AM
On the week of May 5, 2006, Dark Side of the Moon achieved a combined total of 1500 weeks on the Billboard 200 and Pop Catalog charts.

gotcha
Apr 01 2007, 10:46 AM
Got my CD player at Xmas of 84 :DSenior year in High School.

1st CD's I got were

Rush - Moving Pictures
The Who - Who's Next

RUSH concert tickets went on sale yesterday and their new album hits stores May 1! :)

Fans should check out this great web site. (http://www.rushisaband.com/)

gotcha
Apr 01 2007, 02:08 PM
Not sure if anyone has previously posted this link of classic rock album covers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRrKi720Tw)

Pizza God
Apr 01 2007, 09:22 PM
I was actually thinking about asking my wife if she wanted to go. however I don't have the time or cash at the moment.

Pizza God
Apr 01 2007, 09:24 PM
BTW, Rush was the first concert I ever purchased tickets for. We even camped out all night at Walnut Hill and Central on one very cold night.

Dang, that was over 20 years ago

rhett
Apr 02 2007, 03:07 PM
Different Rush for my first-ever concert: Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush back in his long-haired, platform-shoed, cape-wearin', effect-pedal stompin' hey-day of the mid-70s.

Cal-Jam 2 was my second concert ever. :)

tkieffer
Apr 02 2007, 03:36 PM
Rush "Farewell to Kings" tour was my first real concert on a snowy Milwaukee January evening in 1978. I wasn't sure we would be able to get through the storm to see the show, but had to try and was among the 50% of sold tickets that made it. Took my kid brother along as a Christmas present.

rollinghedge
Apr 05 2007, 12:01 PM
Somehow, I'm not that surprised. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.people04apr04,0,34814.column?coll=bal-artslife-today)

rhett
Apr 05 2007, 12:54 PM
You call yourself a disc golfer yet you've never "dad-snorted"???

Pizza God
Apr 05 2007, 01:38 PM
Somehow, I'm not that surprised. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/lifestyle/bal-to.people04apr04,0,34814.column?coll=bal-artslife-today)

as usual, only 1/2 the story, he put out a press release yesterday saying that he was joking and that if he did cocaine again, it would prolly kill him.

He said his fathers ashes are burried under an oak tree he planted in his yard. That was what his dad wanted. He also stated that he and his dad were close.

doot
Apr 05 2007, 02:39 PM

as usual, only 1/2 the story, he put out a press release yesterday saying that he was joking and that if he did cocaine again, it would prolly kill him.

He said his fathers ashes are burried under an oak tree he planted in his yard. That was what his dad wanted. He also stated that he and his dad were close.

How PC of him to call it a joke.

tkieffer
Apr 05 2007, 02:53 PM
How PC of him to call it a joke.

It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it. :)

pnkgtr
Apr 06 2007, 01:45 AM
I did purchase my first cd, however.....it was Pink Floyd "Animals".

"Animals" was the first new vinyl I purchased for first "good" stereo system when I was in high school. :) Elvis Costello's greatest hits was my first CD purchase because I'm a cheap bastaard and CDs cost a lot when they were new and that one had 74 minutes of music on it. :)

If you like Elvis Costello Rhett....I will always have your back. My tag line at the bottom of the page is from an Elvis song, Suit of Lights.