Pages : [1] 2 3

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 01:21 PM
I have submitted a course proposal to the Parks Department in Cedar Hill, Texas (just South of Dallas). Would really appreciate the time it takes for any of you :D DG'ers out there to contact them and ask if they have a course. For those not familiar with Cedar Hill, it is full of hills, trees and lakes. Wonderful area for a premier course.

They were very receptive to the idea, I think they just need a few people to push them over the edge.

Cedar Hill Parks Department 972-291-5130. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Thanks for your help.

Brian Lamoreaux

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 01:22 PM
Please let me know if you call and what they say....

Thanks again.

Brian

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 01:25 PM
Brian, I work in Cedar Hill and would love to help you with this project.

What exactly am I supposed to ask the parks department? If they have any courses? Who should I ask for when I call?

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 01:31 PM
Danny, I didn't know you worked there....

Steve Meadors is the Director of Parks and Recreation. He is the one I gave the proposal to. Just ask him if they have a course. If not, do they plan on building one?

Brian

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 01:37 PM
Sweet, I will call them today.

Can you e-mail me a copy of the proposal?

jasonc
Jan 07 2004, 02:07 PM
I'll try and give him a call today also, if I can make time in my busy schedule :D The only problem if you get this course put in is your lazy [*****] won't drive to Vet's anymore :( :D

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 02:09 PM
I want to help with the design and installation. I am the shizzle for creativity! ;)

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 02:31 PM
Jason, I'm no that lazy. I would still drive out to the Vet to kick your butt on occasion.

Kid, I'll email it to you later, about to run off to a meeting. FYI, part of my proposal included John Houck's contact information and his current rates for course design. That is my first choice. Second choice would be for a few locals to go out "dream big".

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 02:35 PM
That is even better. Houck is the MAN! Make it hard John!!!!

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 03:21 PM
Kid - you've got mail.

Brian

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks Brian. 1 question. Why would you propose 36 teepads but only 18 tee signs? Seems like every pad should have a sign. Not trying to criticize or anything, just didn't make sense to me. Other than that it looks awesome.

Jan 07 2004, 04:04 PM
I have seen that before, its cheaper, and you can have both displayed on one sign.....

Not ideal for the player, but workable....

bslamoreaux
Jan 07 2004, 04:38 PM
Kid- I just didn't see a true purpose in adding that extra cost. There were other things that I would rather have than that.

dannyreeves
Jan 07 2004, 04:41 PM
Cool, I was just wondering if it was an oversight.

Moderator005
Jan 08 2004, 12:12 PM
Will this course resemble its namesake? (Are the trees where this course will be located comprised primarily of cedar trees)

If so, I'm intrigued. There are only a few courses in the Northeast with a plethora of cedar trees but they are tricky sunovaguns. They suck up discs like velcro and don't let them go! 90% of my above 2m penalties in the past 5 years can be attributed to cedar trees. I've even seen lost discs in them.

A golfer who throws a good roller has a clear advantage on courses with cedars. If it's on the ground, it's not gonna get caught in a cedar.

discette
Jan 08 2004, 12:49 PM
Cedars stay nasty all year, too. They never loose the needles.

Cedars are nice and all, but I hate them on the golf course. If I were to design a course though, I would still plant a few!

My back gets all itchy just thinking about having to throw from under and behind a very nasty cedar tree.

exczar
Jan 09 2004, 03:11 PM
Brian,

Please elaborate on your "course proposal". Is it in the informal stage ("Hey, Mr. Park Director, sure would be nice to have a disc golf course in Cedar Hill!), or have you submitted something in writing, with proposed costs, site, etc - something that the parks dept board can act upon?

I don't know if getting phone calls from non-residents will have any effect, but I work in southeast Dallas, and I am a longtime disc golfer and a former member of the PDGA BOD, and have some experience with the Dallas Park Dept, so I could meet him around lunchtime in Cedar Hill or maybe have lunch somewhere inbetween, and tell him the positive effect that a disc golf course can have on a park.

dannyreeves
Jan 09 2004, 03:14 PM
he did give them a formal proposal. it was very good.

exczar
Jan 09 2004, 03:27 PM
Then, you just wait, and keep in touch with the park director to see how it is going, ie, when does he expect to have discussions as to adding it to next year's budget, when does he expect the park board to meet to discuss it, are there any funds available for this year, etc.

In the meantime, ask permission to set up some railroad ties or similar 6ft poles to use as targets. Start playing the course, and people will see the play, and it will start to get more play. Continue talking with park dir, and suggest to other players that they do the same.

bslamoreaux
Jan 13 2004, 10:25 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been away from the computer for a few days.

Jeff, yes, many of the parks being considered for the course in Cedar Hill have cedar trees. My plan is to avoid throwing into the trees. :D

Bill, appreciate the input. Yes the proposal has been made formally. The next funding vote is approaching soon, that why I was asking for golfers to contact them now. If/when the course is approved we will begin looking for a location. Cedar Hill has dozens of large parks and much unused land along the shores of Joe Pool lake. As we get closer to something happening I might contact you for more assistance if that is OK with you.

Thanks,
Brian

exczar
Jan 13 2004, 01:55 PM
Brian,

I'll be around if you need me. In the meantime, start scouting out some parks for room. May I suggest:

- Around where the city is building the new Rec Center
- Valley Ridge Park, 2850 Park Ridge
- Kingswood Park, 1500 Kari Ann Dr
- Dot Thomas Park, 1401 S. Clark

bslamoreaux
Jan 13 2004, 03:12 PM
Bill - Some good choices there. I have already visited two of those and am waiting for a chance to get anywhere near the new Rec Center. Dont forget that they also have the Cedar Hill State Park along 1382 and Joe Pool. Lots of room out there. The only issue then would be an small entry fee to the park.

I'll get back to you as this goes along.

Regards,
Brian

my_hero
Jan 13 2004, 03:56 PM
LAMOREAUX !!!!! (i just like screaming your name.)

Here's the contact number again:

Cedar Hill Parks Department 972-291-5130. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

Spend a few minutes today calling the Parks Dept asking where their disc golf course is located. (No, they don't have one, but if we all inquire about one..........????)

dannyreeves
Jan 13 2004, 04:48 PM
Brian, what kind of course are you wanting this to be? Pitch and putt, or a course that is hard to shoot even on? Just wondering. It would probably depend on the land we got also.

bslamoreaux
Jan 13 2004, 05:54 PM
Kid - It all depends on the land we get. Would love to see a combination of the two.

dannyreeves
Jan 13 2004, 05:55 PM
Cool, keep us posted.

bslamoreaux
Jan 13 2004, 05:57 PM
Bill - please call me. Cell # 972-998-1311.

I just spoke with Parks Department and I have a favor to ask.

Thanks,
Brian

bslamoreaux
Jan 15 2004, 03:59 PM
Many thanks to those of you that called the Cedar Hill Parks and Rec Dept asking about Disc Golf. I am on the agenda to address the board at next weeks meetings.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Brian

dannyreeves
Jan 15 2004, 04:00 PM
Sweet!

Jan 16 2004, 02:04 AM
Good luck with the board. If all goes well, I'd love to see another course around here on a lake, like Lake Park in Lewisville. I'm not familar with Cedar Hill at all, but another 18 holer with alt tee pads is always welcome.

exczar
Jan 16 2004, 03:22 PM
Good luck with the board. If all goes well, I'd love to see another course around here on a lake, like Lake Park in Lewisville. I'm not familar with Cedar Hill at all, but another 18 holer with alt tee pads is always welcome.

Check out Huffhines Park in Richardson (Mapsco 18B, a few miles north of BB Owen on Plano Rd). Back in, I think 2001, a temp course was set up around the lake. 9 holes with long and short tees, and for most holes, the short tee was not in the way of the long tee. A couple went across the lake, and a couple others brought you perilously close.

bslamoreaux
Jan 22 2004, 10:12 AM
FYI.... I spoke to the Parks Board last night with very favorable results. It sounds like they will be willing to fund this project fairly soon. Within the next week or two I am to visit several parks with the Parks Director to scout out a location. Then they want me to host an exhibition of the sport at the annual "Kid-Fish" event in April.

Huge thanks to Jason and Ginetta Chamberlain for their support last night. They answered some questions that I would have not been prepared for. Thanks.

Hope to hear something additional soon.

Brian

exczar
Jan 22 2004, 02:43 PM
FYI.... I spoke to the Parks Board last night with very favorable results. It sounds like they will be willing to fund this project fairly soon. Within the next week or two I am to visit several parks with the Parks Director to scout out a location. Then they want me to host an exhibition of the sport at the annual "Kid-Fish" event in April.

Huge thanks to Jason and Ginetta Chamberlain for their support last night. They answered some questions that I would have not been prepared for. Thanks.

Hope to hear something additional soon.

Brian

Cool! Let me know if you need some help scoping out possible locations. I can zip on over on I-20.

Also, Dirk Snow is familiar with doing demos like the one you described coming up in April. As we get closer to the date, we can hook up with him.

Another course in south Dallas county! Alright!

Jan 22 2004, 02:50 PM
If they want a feel for disc golf, have some of them visit Veteran's/Z-Boaz during the upcoming tournaments. Maybe you can save a month or two. :)

bslamoreaux
Jan 22 2004, 04:29 PM
Just this morning I invited the top two Parks Dept people to come with me to the Maceman clinic on Friday the 30th. No response yet from either.

Brian

dannyreeves
Jan 22 2004, 04:34 PM
That sounds great Brian. If they can't make it, we should take them to play. I would love to meet them and play a round with them (and you too, I guess :D).

bslamoreaux
Jan 27 2004, 09:52 AM
Everything is looking good. I am going on a tour of the local parks on Friday morning with the Parks Director and the Recreation Spvr.

More updates soon.

gnduke
Jan 31 2004, 12:24 AM
Well, How did it go ??

bslamoreaux
Feb 02 2004, 11:11 AM
My meetings went well. The first one was to tour several parks in town. I think we have decided on one but there is a snag. The land was donated by a family to Dallas County for 99 years. Even though it "belongs" to Dallas, Cedar Hill maintains it. This only adds a wrinkle, not a mountain.

The second meeting that day was at Veterans during the clinic and SkillShot Challenge. For the most part that also went well but I left with mixed emotions. Can't get into details online, but, there are some environmental issues that will need to be addressed because of the before mentioned property ownership.

In April I give a demonstration of the sport and then in May the city wants to host an exhibition tournament. Not sure where yet but it should be interesting.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Feb 02 2004, 11:14 AM
Well, How did it go ??

-----------------------------------------------------------
Duke, I'm open to suggestions.....

Brian

exczar
Feb 02 2004, 01:54 PM
The second meeting that day was at Veterans during the clinic and SkillShot Challenge. For the most part that also went well but I left with mixed emotions. Can't get into details online, but, there are some environmental issues that will need to be addressed because of the before mentioned property ownership.

Brian

Brian,

I hope the "environmental issue" had to do with ground level issues such as erosion avoidance and how not to wear out grass, and not any, let me say, "atmospheric" issues.

Pls email me with any details you feel comfortable sharing, and I can make suggestions.

gnduke
Feb 05 2004, 06:41 PM
You seem to be handling the process very well. Just was looking at the timeline you had listed and wondered how the weekend went.

Maybe I misread the dates. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

jasonc
Feb 05 2004, 10:30 PM
Brian is doing very well working with the city of Cedar Hill. The enviromental issues that he was referring to was our erosion problems(especially holes 5, 6 & 7) at Veteran's. The main person he is dealing with is an envirmentalist who played devil's advocate with him for the most part of the day, but later explained he was doing that so Brian would know what he might come up against should he have to go before the Dallas board. All in all things are going better than I ever expected they would and it looks like(cross your fingers) Brian may be responsible for getting a course in the city of Cedar Hill :D If anyone has the time please come out to the kid's kite fly, fish and DISC GOLF demo that the city wants him to participate in, he'll post the details on that later.

gnduke
Feb 06 2004, 02:44 AM
Exzcar, do you know of any good contacts developed by DDG in Dallas parks and rec that Brian could talk to ?

bslamoreaux
Feb 06 2004, 10:02 AM
Things are going surprisingly well. I can't believe it. Really looks like this is going to happen. As of right now, the decision is in the hands of Dallas Parks Board (with the full support of the Cedar Hill Parks Board) and it is looking favorable. Will hopefully know more soon.

As Jason mentioned, the weekend of April 3rd and 4th is the Kid Fish "Thing". As much support of the sport as possible will be greatly appreciated.

I am always looking for suggestions that help.

Brian

gnduke
Feb 06 2004, 06:47 PM
Quite a few things going on that weekend.

Pecan Park Open in Nacogdoches,
Big Spring Fling in Big Spring,
DFWFD #7 somewhere in Dallas.

If you were able to handle the turnout, you might want to see if Brian Mace could use the course for the DFW Food Drive event. Could be a win win scenario if the course is in good condition.

Feb 25 2004, 04:05 PM
any new news?

jasonc
Feb 25 2004, 05:07 PM
I've been working with Brian on this and everything looks positive :D He and I are supposed to walk another park with them tomorrow to see if we can get 18 temps in there for a 1 day event. The park that he really wants to put the course at doesn't get much traffic right now so they want do it at one of their higher trafficed parks to expose their citizens to the game a little and hopefully create some interest. I don't think we'll see much forward progress until after that event and the demo he's going to do for the kids at the kite fly/fishing/disc golf demonstration. If anyone in the area has any used discs they are willing to give up, please get with me or Brian, we would like to have some to give out at the demo. We'll post dates for both events here as soon as we have something solid.

bslamoreaux
Feb 25 2004, 05:10 PM
Everything is still on track. Received word this afternoon that the Dallas Parks Administrator, her boss and the legal department are all OK with it. Next step looks like actually speaking with the Dallas Parks board. Still trying to get a date for that. The only real challenge will be when it comes to funding. So....

I am looking for individuals to sponsor baskets. If anyone is willing to pay for a basket (should this dream become a reality, and I think it will) please contact me.

All in all, I can't complain. Cedar Hill has been wonderful to work with.

Brian

Feb 25 2004, 07:49 PM
I've been working with Brian on this and everything looks positive :D He and I are supposed to walk another park with them tomorrow to see if we can get 18 temps in there for a 1 day event. The park that he really wants to put the course at doesn't get much traffic right now so they want do it at one of their higher trafficed parks to expose their citizens to the game a little and hopefully create some interest. I don't think we'll see much forward progress until after that event and the demo he's going to do for the kids at the kite fly/fishing/disc golf demonstration. If anyone in the area has any used discs they are willing to give up, please get with me or Brian, we would like to have some to give out at the demo. We'll post dates for both events here as soon as we have something solid.

I have some used discs I would be happy to donate..........when and where?...maybe at ZT10 this weekend?

jasonc
Feb 25 2004, 09:18 PM
I will be at the TX10 this weekend and would greatly appreciate any disc donations we could get. My wife, Ginetta, will be in THUNDER most of the day Saturday so you can give them to her. If she isn't there Himing will make sure we get them(sorry I just volunteered you there Chris :D). Thanks for everyones support on this.

Feb 26 2004, 10:37 AM
I will be at the TX10 this weekend and would greatly appreciate any disc donations we could get. My wife, Ginetta, will be in THUNDER most of the day Saturday so you can give them to her. If she isn't there Himing will make sure we get them(sorry I just volunteered you there Chris :D). Thanks for everyones support on this.

Have we met?, I am the Superior Leasing guy from the first two years....now the autoflex Leasing guy......

jasonc
Feb 26 2004, 12:38 PM
As a matter of fact I put your banner up several times :D I think we met on a couple of occasions. See you Saturday.

bslamoreaux
Feb 26 2004, 12:39 PM
John, in case you dont know Jason, you and I have met before. We went for an ice run at the last Z10 event with some "good" beer last year. The store was closed when we got there.

I will be at the course for a good portion of the day tomorrow. Can't stay any later the 4:00 or so but I will be there by noon.

Later,
Brian

Feb 26 2004, 06:55 PM
John, in case you dont know Jason, you and I have met before. We went for an ice run at the last Z10 event with some "good" beer last year. The store was closed when we got there.......I will be at the course for a good portion of the day tomorrow. Can't stay any later the 4:00 or so but I will be there by noon.

Later,
Brian

...I do remember!,,,seems like I had some Paulaner Hefeweisen from the keg that day.....Seeya saturday!

Feb 26 2004, 06:56 PM
BTW I will have Hacker Schoor Hefeweisen from the keg on saturday........bring a cup or glass!

Feb 27 2004, 12:19 PM
Sorry, they were out of Hacker Pschor...had to get Franziskaner Hefeweisen instead....awwwwwwww

exczar
Feb 27 2004, 12:51 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the update on Cedar Hill. I know that we can round up enough temp baskets for a nice 18 hole course there.

Have fun at L'ville TX10 tomorrow.

bslamoreaux
Mar 02 2004, 03:06 PM
Alrighty then. Here is the information for The Great North Texas Kite Festival.

This is our chance to impress the city board with the
enthusiasm this sport can bring.
-------------------------------------------------
April 3 - 4, 2004

Valley Ridge Park
2850 Park Ridge Dr
Cedar Hill, TX 75104

Benefiting the Cedar Hill Food Pantry

Kite Flying Demonstrations
Free Kite Flying Lessons
Food/Craft & Kite Vendors
DISC GOLF DEMONSTRATIONS
Childrens Kite Making Classes
(Cost $1.00 - $3.00 or 1 - 3 non-perishable
food items per kite kit)
Childrens Fun Area

Sponsored by: Cedar Hill Parks and Recreation,
Rainbows 4 Sail, and the Cedar Hill Chamber of
Commerce.
-------------------------------------
Now, no one can tell me how to measure the success of
this event. My suggestion is that EVERYONE wishing to
see a premier course installed in North Texas, should
come to this event. It wouldn't hurt if you brought food
items, even if you dont participate in the kite making class.

Mapquest can give you a good map using the address shown
above.

In case you can't find it, call me. 972-998-1311.

Thanks for your support.

Brian

exczar
Mar 02 2004, 03:24 PM
Brian,

GREAT JOB on getting DG demos put on the agenda!

Since you are piggybacking on the date of the Kite Festival, I know it couldn't be helped, but that is the same weekend as the event in Nachogdoches.

If I don't go there, I will be there. We'll have to coordinate times for the demos. Is there room to see up a 9 hole course?

dannyreeves
Mar 02 2004, 03:32 PM
Brian, if I don't go to Nac., I will be there to help out.

bslamoreaux
Mar 02 2004, 03:37 PM
Bill, you are correct, I had no choice in the date. Will be trying for 9 holes but may only end up with 6 or so. Will still give a good representation of the sport with the land we have to work with that day.

Kid, would love to see you out there if possible. Might have a few other people you know helping out that day. Should be fun even if the turn out is low.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Mar 17 2004, 09:35 AM
OK, another meeting this Friday with the people in charge of the purse strings.

If any one has any last minute suggestions, this is the time to offer them.

I am looking for ideas that will make this course awesome without adding huge $'s to the cost.

Thanks,
Brian

bslamoreaux
Mar 31 2004, 10:33 AM
REMINDER!

This weekend (April 3rd and 4th) is The Great North Texas Kite Festival in Cedar Hill, Texas. All activities will be conducted at the Valley Ridge Park located at 2850 Park Ridge Drive. This is a huge park right in the middle of Lake Ridge. Among the scheduled events is a Disc Golf Demonstration.

This is our chance for the citizens, and more importantly the City Counsel, to see what this sport is all about.

Everything kicks off around 11:00 each day.

Any golfers wanting to help support the installation of a world class, 36 hole course, please stop by.

Thanks,
Brian

Call my cell if you need help getting to the park. 972-998-1311.

dannyreeves
Mar 31 2004, 12:36 PM
I will be busy hitting an ace at Z-Boaz on Saturday. :D

Thinking about coming out on Sunday. What if a few of us headed over there after the Veteran's mini?

Is Valley Ridge Park where the course will be put in also, or is that just the place of the festival this weekend?

jasonc
Mar 31 2004, 12:41 PM
Valley Ridge is just for the demo. The courses will be at Lorge Park which is only about 10 minutes from there and probably the beautiful piece of property I have seen in a long time. Come on out after the mini if you want, We've alredy roped enough staff in, but a good showing by discgolers will show the city there is definately interest in a course out there.

dannyreeves
Mar 31 2004, 12:44 PM
Are you going to have any temp holes set up? Or is this just gonna be everyone trying to throw really far? :D Either way, should be fun. lol

jasonc
Mar 31 2004, 02:08 PM
Valley Ridge is basically a sports complex... ie.. wide open, nothing but soccer and baseball fields. There is a very narrow tree line there where we are going to make an attempt at some temp holes. Hopefully we'll get out of there soon enough to run over to Lorge and play some....even if it's object golf :D

exczar
Apr 01 2004, 04:21 PM
Brian,

Unfortunately, I am involved with the annual carnival at my son's school on Saturday, and will be involved in church activities on Sunday until noon. The earliest I could get there on Sunday would be 1PM. Do you have a sched. for Sunday?

bslamoreaux
Apr 02 2004, 09:34 AM
Bill, I will be out there from 9:30 AM until ???? both days. If you have the time on Sunday and want to stop by it would be appreciated. There is no official schedule. We will have enough people out there to start a discussion and exhibition with people when the crowd size dictates it.

If nothing else, people can stop by just to play a quick 9 holes or so.

Brian

Apr 02 2004, 10:30 AM
Brian, I just got an e-mail from my Brother in Law who is on the county parks board that said that they had just voted for and approved a Disc golf course in the "Lorch Preserve"........have you heard anything about this???BTW I forgot he was on that board or I would have leaned on him about this....please advise...........

space76
Apr 02 2004, 12:05 PM
So there will be a temp. course.nine holes?I will swing by after the ADGA mini on sunday if I can find it that is :D.

bslamoreaux
Apr 02 2004, 03:16 PM
John, you have a PM........

Casey, yes, we will have up to 9 holes set up for people to play. Hope to see you there.

I'll add some directions in a few minutes.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Apr 02 2004, 03:29 PM
Directions from Arlington.....

Go South from I-20 on Great Southwest Parkway.
Go straight until the road merges with Lake Ridge Parkway.
Keep going straight past the Oasis Resturant and the Lynn Creek Marina.
Keep going straight over Joe Pool Lake. You will cross over it twice.
Shortly after the second bridge you will start going up hill.
Turn Right on Lake Ridge Parkway (yes, it is Lake Ridge Parkway again) into the Lake Ridge housing development.
Continue going straight past the elementary school on the right and a couple of large ponds on the left.
Turn right on Park Ridge Drive. You can't miss the park entrance on the left.
If you get into the Tangle Ridge Ball Golf Course, you have gone to far.

Again, anyone can call if they get lost. :eek:

972-998-1311

Brian

shanest
Apr 04 2004, 08:43 PM
Directions from Arlington.....

Go South from I-20 on Great Southwest Parkway.
Go straight until the road merges with Lake Ridge Parkway.
Keep going straight past the Oasis Resturant and the Lynn Creek Marina.
Keep going straight over Joe Pool Lake. You will cross over it twice.
Shortly after the second bridge you will start going up hill.
Turn Right on Lake Ridge Parkway (yes, it is Lake Ridge Parkway again) into the Lake Ridge housing development.
Continue going straight past the elementary school on the right and a couple of large ponds on the left.
Turn right on Park Ridge Drive. You can't miss the park entrance on the left.
If you get into the Tangle Ridge Ball Golf Course, you have gone to far.

Again, anyone can call if they get lost. :eek:

972-998-1311

Brian

I can't believe there's a disc golf course right there now! I moved just a couple years ago from a neighborhood RIGHT NEXT to Lake Ridge and used to go to that same park. That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

bslamoreaux
Apr 05 2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks to everyone that came out to support the sport. In between talking to Cedar Hill residents, we were able to play 9 holes of golf.

The Kite Fly was small. No more then 300 people on Saturday (thanks to soccer mom's) and maybe 75 on Sunday. However, the city people felt that we should consider our portion of the event a success.

It is now wait and see time. I have been told that the budget will be finalized in a couple of days. Then we will know where we stand.

Thanks again Jason & Ginetta Chamberlain, Shawn Wasden, Clayton Bethman, Pat, Steph and Logan Cantrell, and Terry Toolen and his mobile elementary school.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Apr 14 2004, 09:24 AM
Good news. It looks like John was right and the Dallas County Parks Board did approve a disc golf course installation project in Cedar Hill. Only two steps left. The first is the Commissioners Court review on April 20th (I think that is the date) and then a final appeal for funding. The Commissioners Court should just be a technicality. They will usually take the same course of action that the Board (Dallas County Parks) suggests. In this case, obviously, they are for it. Of course after all of this, the funding may be the hardest to get approved.

Will keep everyone up to date.

Brian

Apr 26 2004, 08:49 PM
u huh

bslamoreaux
May 06 2004, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to give everyone a brief update....

The proposal did NOT go before the Commisioners Court as planned. Instead, they sent the Dallas County Parks Superintendent out for a meeting with myself and several of the fine folks from the city of Cedar Hill. We walked the grounds and discuss everything of relevance. At this point the Dallas County Parks Super and the city of Cedar Hill have no objections to the course going in. However, it will be a different layout than I had planned.

The funding is now the only issue to be dealt with.

In the very near future I will be hosting a benefit tournament on the park grounds. The tournament will be for trophies only with no cash or merchandise payouts. The layout of the course will not be the eventual final course design. I will also be offering Candy Fund Rasier discs from Innova. I am leaning towards the Teebird TL unless someone talks me out of it.

More information once I have it.

Brian

my_hero
May 06 2004, 01:02 PM
Sounds great so far Brian!

As for the CFR's......Well............., you probably know what i have to say about that.:DI do have the sweetest deal ever lined up for you on baskets. 18, 27, 36...however many you need.

Looking forward to seeing the land, and participating in the event(As long as Baby-Hero, and Momma-Hero don't oppose.) :confused:

dannyreeves
May 06 2004, 02:31 PM
Brian, get the GLO TL. They are sweet. :cool:

quickdisc
May 06 2004, 05:15 PM
Brian, get the GLO TL. They are sweet. :cool:

Have to agree with that :D

bslamoreaux
May 06 2004, 06:03 PM
Well, the Glow TL is an option. Any others out there want to suggest anything?

Wait till you see the logo my production design team came up with.....

Brian

exczar
May 06 2004, 06:58 PM
Brian,

Always exciting to see the genesis of a disc golf course, especially one in my own county (might be a good option for a lunchtime round). Hopefully, the layout will make it worthy to be included in a future World's rotation!

re: CFRs - hey, you're doing the work, that's your call.

ozdisc
May 06 2004, 07:25 PM
Wait till you see the logo my production design team came up with.....

Brian

I will have my production team contact your production team to discuss.

Great job Brian. Please email me or call Jason and Ginetta for my little idea.

Glow TL's or TL's are both good, maybe get a mix. Starfires are a good option as they are not around as much and are popular.

May 06 2004, 08:37 PM
Brian, I may have missed this on the thread, but who is designing the course?

And, was the layout changed from an original course design, or just the land available was changed?

The city folks may not have the best grasp on what does or doesn't make a good disc golf hole. That's the only reason I'm asking. That and the craziness that I constantly have to deal with here for land usage and course design that the PARD just doesn't get.

LCRA is putting a retention pond in the middle of a fairway on one of our best holes here, and I'm trying to explain to them the potential impact. I think all will be well, but its a constant reminder that non-dg'ers don't get disc golf hole design.

ozdisc
May 06 2004, 08:46 PM
Mark if it's in the middle of the fairway then most of us can throw over it. You might have to tack around it however :D No need for you to loose more discs out there. :D

From what I know Brian is doing a great job with the city and all the local golfers. Cedar Hill Texas 10 sounds good to me.

May 06 2004, 10:11 PM
Oh, I'm sure he's doing an awesome job mate. I'm really excited about the potential of this project from what I've heard. I was just curious who was designing it, that's all.

We all know them city hall and pard types aren't always in tune. Unless they are in Live Oak, that is. :)

jasonc
May 07 2004, 12:59 AM
We all know them city hall and pard types aren't always in tune. Unless they are in Live Oak, that is. :)

In all fairness to the great CITY OF LIVE OAK I think this may be a place that will give that same kind of support(fingers crossed). So far the city of Cedar Hill has been very easy to work with compared to some of the stories I have heard. Brian has done a great job with his presentations and let this whole project consume his life almost as bad as some other AMs I know that got into disc golf wayyyyyyyyyy too far. Who's designing the course?????????????? To be announced.......But I will tell you this, put every hole you ever hated(be it long, short, tight, uphill, water hazard, low ceiling, shiety rough, disc catching trees, etc.......) into ONE course and you have CEDAR HILL!!!!!! I can't wait :D

May 07 2004, 01:03 AM
Fair enough Jason. I am really looking forward to this and I'm thrilled by what I hear and what I read from Brian. I was just curious.

Of course, my help, such as it is and for what's its worth, is always but a mere phone call away if I can be of even the slightest bit of assistance.

Mad props to Brian and the City of Cedar Hill for what should be a real gem in the Texas DG Course Crown. :)

bslamoreaux
May 07 2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks Mark.... The best I can tell you right now is that this is moving forward with every day. The people of Cedar Hill and Dallas County have been awesome. Far more accepting than I ever imagined.

Brian

May 10 2004, 12:06 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a brief update....

The proposal did NOT go before the Commisioners Court as planned. Instead, they sent the Dallas County Parks Superintendent out for a meeting with myself and several of the fine folks from the city of Cedar Hill. We walked the grounds and discuss everything of relevance. At this point the Dallas County Parks Super and the city of Cedar Hill have no objections to the course going in. However, it will be a different layout than I had planned.

The funding is now the only issue to be dealt with.

In the very near future I will be hosting a benefit tournament on the park grounds. The tournament will be for trophies only with no cash or merchandise payouts. The layout of the course will not be the eventual final course design. I will also be offering Candy Fund Rasier discs from Innova. I am leaning towards the Teebird TL unless someone talks me out of it.

More information once I have it.

Brian

Brian, is there anything I can do with my Brother in law (the one who is on the open space board) to speed up the Commissioners court going ahead with the project??????...please advise with call or e-mail.........john

bslamoreaux
May 10 2004, 02:31 PM
John, you have a PM....

Brian

colin-evans
May 18 2004, 05:22 PM
I like all texans am looking forward to the culmination of this project.
I was wondring how things are going? Is there anything you need us to do to help? I will help if I can.

Colin Evans

bslamoreaux
May 18 2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the offer Collin.....

Hopefully, in a mere two days, I will be able to announce the date of the first ever disc golf tournament in Cedar Hill. There is a meeting scheduled tomorrow to discuss a temp course installed for a one day, two round, tournament.

Can't say anymore than that right now. Trust me, this has come a long way and there is not that much longer to wait. :D

Brian

dannyreeves
May 18 2004, 05:58 PM
Can't wait, Brian. Please don't let it conflict with anything going on close by and give us enough time to plan for it.

Don't be a Crowley. :D

bslamoreaux
May 18 2004, 06:01 PM
I have taken all of that into consideration Kid. Once I can officially make the announcement, I'll be all over it.

Brian

May 19 2004, 02:10 PM
John, you have a PM....

Brian

Brian, I will see what I can do.......always feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

bslamoreaux
May 20 2004, 01:29 PM
Here it is.........

I am very pleased to announce the first ever disc golf tournament in Cedar Hill

The Cedar Hill Disc Golf Association Club Championship is scheduled for August 7, 2004.

For your $20 entry, you will be playing for first, second and third trophies in each division. You will also receive membership into the Cedar Hill Disc Golf Association (this is something the city really wants). This will be 2 rounds of 18 hole golf.

We will be offering several CTP opportunities and possibly a raffle or two.

Keep in mind that this is a sponsorship tournament so all proceeds will go back into the course.

We will have Candy Fundraiser discs available for purchase and of course sponsorship spaces available to be placed on tee signs once they go into the ground. Anyone interested in becoming a sponsor should contact me.

Please come out to show your support for this sport to a city that wants to see this succeed.

PDGA rules will be followed during this tournament.

I'm sure that in my excitment to post this message I have inadvertantly forgotten something. Forgive me.

How does this sound to everyone so far?

Brian

ozdisc
May 20 2004, 02:02 PM
Sounds great Brian, the ZT10 Tour would be happy to donate some cool things for the raffle etc.

I can't wait to play that course it sounds great. Where exactly is it? :D

jasonc
May 20 2004, 02:03 PM
I can't wait to see baskets out in that park!!! You can count on some support from the ADGA on this. I hope to see allot of people at this event, if not you're missing out(unless you're going to World's) :D:D

dannyreeves
May 20 2004, 02:05 PM
Ahh yes.....Worlds. :(

jasonc
May 20 2004, 02:05 PM
Lorch Park is right off of Hwy 67 and Mount Lebanon Rd in Cedar Hill....about 25 minutes from my doorstep :eek:

dannyreeves
May 20 2004, 02:07 PM
Brian, when is the city talking about purchasing baskets?

bslamoreaux
May 20 2004, 02:26 PM
Danny - next week is yet another meeting about the budget. Hopefully at that point I will know. From what I have been assured, this is all but completed and disc golf is part of the budget for this year.

Brian

dannyreeves
May 20 2004, 02:33 PM
That is awesome!

jasonc
May 20 2004, 02:59 PM
Only thing that sucks is Brian's gonna have to move his mistress(the Camaro..not the blond) out of the garage so he has a place to store all those buckets :D:D

I hope Tonya doesn't read the board...I don't think she knows about the blond :o

dannyreeves
May 20 2004, 03:00 PM
or the blonde for that matter. :D

jasonc
May 20 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm glad to see they finally fixed the spell check on this board :p

bslamoreaux
May 20 2004, 03:20 PM
Tanya goes before my car does.

(I hope she doesn't read this board as well!)

exczar
May 20 2004, 03:24 PM
That figgurs, I just got off the wait list for whorlds...
oh well, if somethin' happens to worlds, I'm there. I'm sure you will get a great turnout!

bslamoreaux
May 20 2004, 03:44 PM
Bill, I really wanted to have an event that didn't conflict with anything at all. In Texas, that's impossible. This was the best time that I could find that worked with Cedar Hill's time line.

Those that are going to World's, I absolutely wish you all the best of luck. For those of you not going, this is the only event in town trying to help the sport grow.

Brian

gnduke
May 25 2004, 12:20 AM
This is from Brian:
Event: First Annual Cedar Hill Disc Golf Association Club Championships
Entry Fee: $20.00 (Plus optional $2.00 Ace Pot)
Date: August 7th, 2004
Time: 8:00 - 9:00 sign up. 9:30 players meeting. 10:00 start first round. Second TBD
TD: Brian Lamoreaux
Phone #: 972-998-1311 (Email is best during work hours; 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Mon - Fri)
Email: [email protected]
Course Info: Lester Lorch Park in Cedar Hill (20 minutes South of Dallas).
Directions:
From Arlington, take I-20 East to 67 South in Duncanville.
Go approximately 8.3 miles to Mt Lebanon Road.
Turn RIGHT at the stop sign. Follow Mt Lebanon for .7 miles.
Turn RIGHT on Texas Plume Road just past the large white mansion.
Go past the Baptist Camp. Go about 1 mile.
Do not take the first turn into Lester Lorch Park. It is only an upper section with a wild flower area.
Continue past this entrance to the second entrance on the right with a long, downhill, driveway.
Parking will be at the bottom of the drive. I'll have the entrance marked somehow.

This is the first ever tournament in Cedar Hill, Texas.
This is a sponsorship tournament with all funds raised to be used in the installation of two, 18 hole courses on the property.
First, second and third place will each receive a trophy in the Open, Masters, Advanced, Novice, Amateur and Women's divisions.

Two rounds of 18 holes.

We will be using portable baskets during this event.

Ace Pot (with playoff), CTP's and raffles.

Lunch is NOT provided.

okcacehole
May 28 2004, 07:43 PM
At this time I don't have a clue what will be happening on that date, but if I can make it I have a Discatcher ( full size ) I can bring out to add to the pile of baskets..

I had stopped following this thread for a bit, but that is just another course in the ground for the DFW area....AWESOME...with Allen, Flag Pole..ect...we will hit 150 State wide in no time

Keep up the great work Brian...!!!!

jasonc
May 28 2004, 09:26 PM
Oh this will be more than just another course :D The only things going on that weekend are WORLDS and I think an event in Houston. Thanks for the offer on the basket....We'll take you up on that.

Current basket count(with plenty of time to spare)
Chamberlains 2
Adam Murphy 1
Shawn Wasden 1
Clayton Bethman 2
Peppernuts 1
Nolan Grider 1 (2 if I have enough nuts to take Pops's for the weekend.........Still don't know about that)
Mcgough's 1
And many more that I haven't asked yet but I am sure will be more than willing. I can't wait for the premier of this course

okcacehole
May 28 2004, 09:42 PM
Jason...if I have to ...I can add a Skillshot also...but would prefer not to..if we have 18 by then

dannyreeves
May 30 2004, 01:45 AM
Jason, I have a Mach 3. Add it to the list.

jasonc
May 30 2004, 09:24 PM
Thank you sir.

New list

Current basket count(with plenty of time to spare)
Chamberlains 2
Adam Murphy 1
Shawn Wasden 1
Clayton Bethman 2
Peppernuts 1
Nolan Grider 1 (2 if I have enough nuts to take Pops's for the weekend.........Still don't know about that)
Mcgough's 1
Danny Reeves 1

Brian & I walked the course today to mark some holes for the temp layout.....Bring your Rocs and throw em straight :D Brian layed out 14 solid holes and only has 4 to go. This should be a treat for everyone who has control in their game ;)

Pizza God
Jun 01 2004, 11:02 PM
I can add as many as you need.

I have the Carrollton 9 used this last monday in Allen. (Innova single chain)

I can also let you use my Mach III.

bslamoreaux
Jun 02 2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bryan. I appreciate that.

As we get closer I will know the exact number we need.

Brian

Shaine
Jun 02 2004, 01:22 PM
Brian,

I have a single chain discatcher sport that you can use for the tourney. Thanks to all that came out to Allen and to those that let us use your baskets. We are getting great feedback from both the players and the Residents.

exczar
Jun 03 2004, 04:03 PM
I have 2,possibly 3 you can use, but you're going to have to keep them for a week since I will be at Worlds.

But it looks like with what you got committed so far, and with Bryan's 9, you're covered!

At least for the FRONT 18... :cool:

bslamoreaux
Jun 03 2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks to everyone offering baskets. It is GREATLY appreciated.

Bill, no problem. I can hold the baskets safely in my garage until you return.

Thanks again.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Jun 08 2004, 05:02 PM
All - FYI. The Candy Fundraiser Glo TL's are on the way. If anyone wishes to help get this course in the ground and wants to contribute, this is an easy way to do it. Just purchase a sponsorship disc for only $25.00.

Please let me know if you would like one.

If I was more computer literate I could figure out how to post the image I had created for the future Cedar Hill Disc Golf Association. It is being used on the Glo TL.

Regards,
Brian

my_hero
Jun 08 2004, 05:22 PM
Brian,

Claydog and myself each have baskets as well.

Also, if you would email me a jpeg of the image, i could put it on my website, and post an image of it here for you.

my_hero
Jun 08 2004, 07:59 PM
I hope this works....

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/cedarhill2.gif

my_hero
Jun 08 2004, 08:03 PM
if not, it can be viewed >>>__HERE__<<< (http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/my_heros_web_page.html)

Jun 08 2004, 08:11 PM
http://www.centxdglove.com/imageupload.html

browse, submit, and then clip and paste the url!

my_hero
Jun 08 2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the offer Joel. My free geocities site just doesn't work well with high traffic.

Because of Joel's kindness here you go.......
http://www.centxdglove.com/uploads/cedarhill2.gif

exczar
Jun 09 2004, 01:47 PM
From the looks of the logo, it appears that Cedar Hill will be THE place in the Metroplex to play Wolf! :D

okcacehole
Jun 09 2004, 02:05 PM
and I thought it was the dog from the Simpsons that was on Itchy and Scratchy :D

http://www.personal.psu.edu/srr120/poochie.gif

bslamoreaux
Jun 09 2004, 03:08 PM
Tough crowd...

Once you see this place you will understand. It is a true nature preserve. Coyotes, snakes, beavers, foxes, etc. All are found here. Keep everything in the fairway and out of the water. You never know what you will see here.

Every time I go there I feel like I am being watched.....

Brian

jasonc
Jun 09 2004, 03:17 PM

You are......it's those **** spies from another area course :D:D

dannyreeves
Jun 09 2004, 03:23 PM

You are......it's those **** spies from another area course :D:D

Crowley???

bslamoreaux
Jun 14 2004, 09:33 AM
The TL's are here and look great. Sold several over the weekend. I will have plenty with me at the Texas 10 in Arlington this Saturday.

Thanks,
Brian

bslamoreaux
Jun 15 2004, 11:31 AM
Huge FYI to everyone.

My request for funding has been approved 100% :cool:

I keep learning about the process. Right now we have to get past a 60 day "public notice" period. Then it is officially in the '04 - '05 budget. The problem is that this particular budget does not take effect until September or October. At best, the orders for the baskets can be made in late September. At worst, the course is in the ground by the end of the year.

Either way Disc Golf wins a huge victory!!!!!!

Thanks to every one for their support.

Dont forget to come play the temp course on August 7th.

Brian

okcacehole
Jun 15 2004, 11:36 AM
Awesome news for us and for you.

Thanks for your hard work and can't wait to see this land in August.

bambam
Jun 17 2004, 03:24 PM
That is really great news, Brian!

My wife and I walked Lorch Park this past weekend, and I'm excited about the potential that land has for a couple of awesome courses. We ran across several red flags in the ground - I'm assuming most of these were from the 9-hole temp course you had setup a few weeks back - so I'm pretty sure we had the right area. These new courses could be on the same level as the Wimberley courses, if done right... how thrilling to think of courses like that in the DFW area!!!

Keep up the good work, and I'm sure we'll make the 100-mile round trip from Frisco at least once a month to play there :D

bslamoreaux
Jun 17 2004, 03:46 PM
Ryan, glad you liked it.

Yes, the flags are mine. They are for the tournament on August 7th. If you dont go to World's, come play this one.

Did you get a chance to walk back into the trails? The open areas are great but the trails will offer some awesome holes as well.

If you thought of anything I should be aware of, please PM me.

Regards,
Brian

bambam
Jun 18 2004, 08:03 AM
No, we didn't get into the back trails any... just the little trail from the open parking area down to the pond. Actually, that trail was quite an adventure, with all the trees that fell during the storms last week. I did see a few flags going up that trail from the open area... if that was a hole, I'm looking forward to that one, for sure! :D

We are planning on walking it again this Sunday, and getting back into the trails this time... I'll keep my eyes open for possibilities.

Oh, and I'm not going to Worlds, so I'll be there Aug. 7th... already have it on the calendar. :D

bslamoreaux
Jun 18 2004, 09:29 AM
I walked the park with representatives of Cedar Hill late yesterday. We were surveying the damage from the storms and discussing how to handle to pond overflow. They will be using a back hoe to clear that spill way so the pond returns to normal levels.

Just for fun I brought a disc and threw across the pond for them. They loved it. So, when you go, image a throw from the parking lot side of the pond all the way across. A tree has fallen on the flags I left for the tee pad.

All of the trees will be removed and the pond returned to normal levels prior to the August 7th event.

Oh, the flags you mentioned are hole #3.

Brian

dannyreeves
Jun 18 2004, 12:35 PM
Brian, how many TL's do you have left?

bambam
Jun 18 2004, 02:19 PM
That's good news about the tree clearing and the pond relief. We did notice the felled tree in the pond blocking the spillway, since we had to wade through the overflow caused by it last weekend. :mad:

A shot across the pond, eh? I'm looking more and more forward to this course the more I learn about it!

Oh, about this hole 3... if I'm looking at it right, the teebox is at the top of the tunnel, and the basket location(s) will be about 80-100 feet out in the opening, correct? If so, this is the kind of hole that will make grown men sob for hours, or write home to Momma, depending on their drive! :p

Again, keep up the good work, and we'll see you August 7th, if not sooner.

bslamoreaux
Jun 21 2004, 10:19 AM
Brian, how many TL's do you have left?

Kid - I have 10 left. Going fast.

Brian

my_hero
Jun 21 2004, 12:59 PM
Liar! Unless you've already subtracted mine :)

bslamoreaux
Jun 21 2004, 04:00 PM
(NOT) My-Hero - you have a very insulting PM waiting for you....

my_hero
Jun 21 2004, 05:41 PM
I'll always be your hero. BTW, that PM was very titalating! I really enjoyed your last offer. Or were you not offering yourself?

bslamoreaux
Jun 21 2004, 05:55 PM
There were no references to myself in that comment. Shame on you. You should seek immediate "professional" help with that.

space76
Jun 22 2004, 12:17 PM
Aug. 7, I was looking forward to playing Bear Creek that day for the JDGFS tourney. Now I must decide between the two. :confused:

jasonc
Jun 22 2004, 12:24 PM
Aug. 7, I was looking forward to playing Bear Creek that day for the JDGFS tourney. Now I must decide between the two. :confused:

HUH??? Brian and I worked very hard to schedule this so it would NOT conflict with ANYONE in the DFW area or anywhere remotely close to it :confused:. Had they given the info to Gary for him to post on the LSGDA site?

space76
Jun 22 2004, 01:18 PM
Not sure. An Okie is running the show. I am pretty sure he announced that date quite a few months back. I was just stating it since, I wanted to play both and just realized they were on the same day. Tourney info (http://www.titledisc.com/Events/jdgfs_3.php)

jasonc
Jun 22 2004, 01:23 PM
Nothing on LSDGA.....I hate conflicting with other events :(

my_hero
Jun 22 2004, 02:21 PM
What about on July 24-25, the pdga sanctioned Games of Texas held at Bear Creek in Grapevine conflicting with THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://sndg.org/stats/event.php/441)

jasonc
Jun 22 2004, 02:24 PM
That's to be expected!!!! Brian and I thought we had checked everywhere possible to make sure we didn't have this problem! We'll see what we can work out though.

dannyreeves
Jun 22 2004, 02:33 PM
What a bunch of lame-oh tards! :mad:

space76
Jun 22 2004, 02:34 PM
What about on July 24-25, the pdga sanctioned Games of Texas held at Bear Creek in Grapevine conflicting with THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://sndg.org/stats/event.php/441)

Didnt Mace Schedule this immeaditely after last years event?

dannyreeves
Jun 22 2004, 02:36 PM

Didnt Mace Schedule this immeaditely after last years event?

Yes! Just like he scheduled the Poison Ivy Open immediately after the previous year's event. Did that stop them from hijacking half the golfers? NOPE!!!!!!!

bambam
Jun 22 2004, 02:43 PM
If I'm not mistaken, archaeologists recently dug up an old document somewhere in central Texas, which appears to be the precursor to the modern day dictionary.

In it were found several points of note, one of which was an alternate reference for the word "conflict", which said "see also; Crowley" :D

space76
Jun 22 2004, 02:45 PM
That sux! They will never get a sanctioned tourney on either of these days though, right?

dannyreeves
Jun 22 2004, 02:51 PM
From the rumors I have heard, they will never get a sanctioned tournament, EVER!!!!! They don't want one.

space76
Jun 22 2004, 03:23 PM
I love the Crowley course, but it seems they are like "the OLD BOYS club" in stick golf. Our way or no way. Cant support that kind of attitude, personally.

Jun 22 2004, 03:32 PM
I'm back :cool:Did you guys miss me...

jasonc
Jun 22 2004, 03:33 PM
Oh great he's got internet acess again....Welcome back Peppernuts :D:D

dannyreeves
Jun 22 2004, 03:38 PM
yo, peppy. are you at home?

Jun 22 2004, 03:52 PM
No, I'm at work... New job and they don't have my internet blocked :D

jasonc
Jun 22 2004, 03:54 PM
Yet...Hey that little irritating flashing envelope in the left hand corner of your screen means you have a PM :p

Jun 22 2004, 04:17 PM
The board is a lot different from when I left... I like all the new options that are available, it took me little while to figure out that I could not post until I logged on. As you can see I finally figured it out :)

Jun 22 2004, 05:32 PM

Don't forget there's a little 'ole B-tier that weekend in Live Oak as well. :)

As for the GOT and LOSO scheduling, it really can't be helped and Brian and I talked about it last year. We're always gonna try to be on the last full weekend of July, and Maceman doesn't have a choice since his event is part of a much bigger picture. We're okay with it and there's enough miles in between that it shouldn't adversely affect either event.

As for a new event being scheduled on the same weekend in DFW, that's another story. Its none of my business, I suppose, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know the Crowley bunch, but this doesn't seem right.

Are these guys in general just kind of this way? They sure take a lot of heat on here. Is it deserved? I'm just asking 'cause I don't really know the particulars.

dannyreeves
Jun 22 2004, 05:44 PM
well, this is I think the 4th time that they have conflicted with one of Brian's events. Every time, Brian has had the date first.

Jun 22 2004, 05:57 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention...Welcome Back Pepper!!! :D

gnduke
Jun 23 2004, 03:45 PM
I wish that somebody would tell me about these things.

This is the first I have heard about either of these events.
Therefore there is no mention on the LSDGA site. Since they are not PDGA events, they are not on the PDGA Tour page.

jasonc
Jun 23 2004, 04:18 PM
This is the first I have heard about either of these events.

Brian sent you the info on the Cedar Hill event last month and it is on the LSDGA page, the other is not.

gnduke
Jun 23 2004, 04:39 PM
I was referring to the JDGFS event and the BiCentenial Park Open.

jasonc
Jun 23 2004, 04:58 PM
OOPS :o

dannyreeves
Jun 23 2004, 05:09 PM
They don't want to advertise their events in Crowley.

okcacehole
Jun 23 2004, 07:31 PM
They don't want to advertise their events in Crowley.

Too bad to...their new 18 layout is sweet (minus a stolen basket on #18), but their lack of wanting to promote outside their little kingdom is upsetting.

"can't we all just get along" - Rodney King :D

bslamoreaux
Jun 24 2004, 11:33 AM
For everyone's information......

Even with the other conflicting event, the Cedar Hill tournament is still going to be on August 7th. I worked hard to find a date with no conflicts and could find no mention of the other event at the time.

I hope we can still count on a good turn out. Remember, this one is to help the sport grow and show the city that they didn't just waste a bunch of time and $.

Thanks to everyone planning on coming out. You wont regret it.

Brian

okcacehole
Jun 24 2004, 11:40 AM
I still plan on making this event...the aerial you showed us, looked like one great piece of land and the more courses the better....See you in August

bslamoreaux
Jun 24 2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks Mr. Murphy. It's "Mr." now, since the old man birthday.

Oh, I am down to 8 Glo TL's in case anyone still wants one. Please let me know.

Brian

jasonc
Jun 24 2004, 12:09 PM
Good news.....I just spoke with Mark Atwood of Hill Country Flyers and they will be sending us some CTP's for the event. I know that the ADGA and Mr. Himing are going to pitch in some stuff also so we should have plenty of stuff to give away. I can't wait to see everyone's responses to this course.

okcacehole
Jun 24 2004, 12:13 PM
:D

bslamoreaux
Jun 24 2004, 12:57 PM
I can add to the CTP good news.... Discraft sent me an email this morning. They are also sending a couple of goodies to give away. Looks like we will have several cool "toys" to give away that day. This is going to be awesome.
:D
Brian

jasonc
Jun 24 2004, 01:47 PM
Great to hear Discraft is on board! Quality plastic at a quality course :D I'll see what else I can round up.

okcacehole
Jun 24 2004, 01:50 PM
Great to hear Discraft is on board! Quality plastic at a quality course :D I'll see what else I can round up.

Maybe plant some wildflowers out there :D

Sorry, just can't let that one go...those 2 holes were nowhere near tough...I love it that people ate it on them. -1 for the 2 for me :)

bambam
Jun 24 2004, 02:06 PM
I will be there on August 7th, as well... looking forward to supporting Brian and Cedar Hill on a wonderful effort to get another great course (or two) installed in the DFW area.

Oh, and Brian... hang on to one of those glow TL's with the Cedar Hill stamp on them. I plan on being down there this Sunday to walk the land again... we can meet up there, if you have time, and I'll get one of those TL's from you then. I'll call you in a few to confirm day and time info with you.

my_hero
Jun 24 2004, 03:15 PM
When, where, and what is this JDGFS? (junior disc golf _ _ )

space76
Jun 24 2004, 03:34 PM
Junior Disc Golf Scholarship Fund Series. info (http://www.titledisc.com/Events/jdgfs_3.php) . It is to support Junior disc golfers. The 1st prize in Open is a cruise to the Bahamas, on top of payout. More info (http://www.pdga.com/msgboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=TournamentInfo&amp;Number=1446 69&amp;page=1&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=1&amp;fpart=1)

gnduke
Jun 25 2004, 12:46 AM
The Bi-Centennial Open is now on the LSDGA page.

I don't know who to contact for the JDGSF event.

jasonc
Jun 25 2004, 01:30 AM
Tom Lowrey....Scholarship Giver on the board. Thanks for all you do Gary :D

bslamoreaux
Jun 25 2004, 03:49 PM
It seems that there was a public hearing last night that I was not aware of......

Even without my presence, the course passed the public hearing without appeal.

So, it is finally, officially, official. Starting October 1st, I can issue purchase orders against the funds sitting in "my" account.

Will pass on more as I learn it.

Brian

gnduke
Jun 25 2004, 04:02 PM
Tom Lowrey....Scholarship Giver on the board. Thanks for all you do Gary :D

Sent a PM, hope he logs in regularly.

jasonc
Jun 25 2004, 04:27 PM
Alright....now don't you just wish it was actually "your" account that had all that money in it ;)

bslamoreaux
Jun 25 2004, 05:32 PM
I wonder how long that would last me at Cabaret Royale..?

Actually, that would buy a nice 69 Camaro or 70 'Cuda. :D

Ok, I have to stop this. It is not my money.....

jasonc
Jun 25 2004, 07:07 PM
I wonder how long that would last me at Cabaret Royale..?

Actually, that would buy a nice 69 Camaro or 70 'Cuda. :D

Ok, I have to stop this. It is not my money.....

Let's see.....with the Cuda you really wouldn't need to go to Caberet Royale to see women. On the other hand if we went to a less expensive "Gentlemen's establishment"(yes I said WE, can't leave me out on this one) we could be there for at least 3 days ;)
Besides if you're dreaming you might as well go for that GTO that's behind the mansion :D

okcacehole
Jun 26 2004, 02:49 AM
2 dances

jasonc
Jun 26 2004, 11:40 AM
****.....you're a high priced cross dresser :o:eek: :D:p

okcacehole
Jun 29 2004, 01:39 PM
Cedar Hill got over 5" of water just yesterday :o

dannyreeves
Jun 29 2004, 02:13 PM
yep and I saw all 5" hit the ground too. it was miserable

bslamoreaux
Jun 29 2004, 05:08 PM
I'm going to the park in a little while to see how it stood up to all of the rain we have received in the last few days. Since the spill way has been cleared it "shouldn't" be that bad.

Brian

okcacehole
Jun 30 2004, 01:05 AM
Well..How did she hold up to 5", plus all the rest of June?

bslamoreaux
Jun 30 2004, 11:42 AM
Not as well as I had hoped. Even though the spill way was cleared a couple of days ago (sending a 4 foot tidal wave down the creek and flooding two holes of the local ball golf course) it still has some issues. Fortunately, these issues do not affect the course design, just the asthetics of the area.

I will contact the city and advise them to continue trying. They have been VERY busy in the park dealing with many huge downed trees, including one that was the home to a large bee swarm. That has been dealt with.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Jul 08 2004, 09:00 AM
Reminder - We are only one month away from this event. Please put it on you list of things to do. You will really enjoy this park.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Brian

This is from Brian:
Event: First Annual Cedar Hill Disc Golf Association Club Championships
Entry Fee: $20.00 (Plus optional $2.00 Ace Pot)
Date: August 7th, 2004
Time: 8:00 - 9:00 sign up. 9:30 players meeting. 10:00 start first round. Second TBD
TD: Brian Lamoreaux
Phone #: 972-998-1311 (Email is best during work hours; 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM, Mon - Fri)
Email: [email protected]
Course Info: Lester Lorch Park in Cedar Hill (20 minutes South of Dallas).
Directions:
Do not take the first turn into Lester Lorch Park. It is only an upper section with a wild flower area.
Continue past this entrance to the second entrance on the right with a long, downhill, driveway.
Parking will be at the bottom of the drive. I'll have the entrance marked somehow.

This is the first ever tournament in Cedar Hill, Texas.
This is a sponsorship tournament with all funds raised to be used in the installation of two, 18 hole courses on the property.
First, second and third place will each receive a trophy in the Open, Masters, Advanced, Novice, Amateur and Women's divisions.

Two rounds of 18 holes.

We will be using portable baskets during this event.

Ace Pot (with playoff), CTP's and raffles.

Lunch is NOT provided.

lauranovice
Jul 08 2004, 09:15 AM
It's on the calendar for Don and I. :)

bambam
Jul 08 2004, 02:07 PM
It's on mine and my wife's calendars, as well.

In case no one has told you lately, Brian... great job with getting this course done!

exczar
Jul 08 2004, 02:49 PM
Brian,

As you know, I will be at Worlds, but I would like to walk/play the course beforehand. When you do think you will have the tees and basket locations marked out?

bslamoreaux
Jul 08 2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks Bam Bam....... I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it. Well, actually, I wouldn't do it if my wife didn't let me.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Jul 08 2004, 05:49 PM
Brian,

As you know, I will be at Worlds, but I would like to walk/play the course beforehand. When you do think you will have the tees and basket locations marked out?

Bill - the majority of the tee pads and pin locations are marked now. Keep in mind though that this is a Dallas County Nature Preserve and a normal mowing schedule has not been implemented yet. So, what I'm saying is that the course is unplayable right now unless you like walking through knee and waist high grass.

It will be mowed only once between now, and the 7th. That will be four days prior to the event. Then flags will be up, and the grass will be short.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Jul 14 2004, 06:09 PM
FYI. The property looks awesome now. Most of the downed trees have been removed. The park is mostly mowed. The pond is back to it's original level and the spill way is open. Had a very positive meeting with the city on site last night. They will mow two more times before we play and they will even clear out some of the trials I want to use for us.

I love this city. :o

See you on the 7th.

Brian

okcacehole
Jul 14 2004, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you have one great group to work with in the city there....can't wait to check this out....

Directions from Dallas/Addison?

bslamoreaux
Jul 15 2004, 09:15 AM
Directions from Dallas.........Brian

South on 35E from downtown Dallas to 67 South towards Duncanville/Cedar Hill.
Go through Duncanville, past Beltline Rd, 1382 and Tidwell to Mt Lebanon Road. It's about 12 miles.

Yeti
Jul 15 2004, 11:37 AM
Great to hear this project is moving along!
Way to go Brian, persistance and patience baby :D
Let me know when your ready for some permament baskets, we'll see if we can't work in a little something extra ;)

dannyreeves
Jul 15 2004, 11:57 AM
Sweet! Cedar Hill is getting the Yeti hookup!

my_hero
Jul 15 2004, 01:13 PM
Can't wait until Aug. 7th!
Cedar Hill Club Championship!

my_hero
Jul 21 2004, 04:27 PM
Are we there yet?

exczar
Jul 21 2004, 04:49 PM
I can't wait until Aug 7th either, but unfortunately , I'll be in Des Moines practicing for the World's instead of being in Cedar Hill.

But I be thinking of y'all while I'm there...

bcoxxx
Jul 21 2004, 04:49 PM
so the course is supposed to go in permanently in the fall, right?

2-18 hole courses? the one 18 hole layout used for the temp course in august...will that be the same as either of the permanent courses? sorry if this has been covered...i didnt read the whole thread. i'm excited about this/these course(s), even though i live over an hour from them. the cedar hill area is as close as DFW gets to "hill country".

jasonc
Jul 21 2004, 04:56 PM
Hopefully the courses will be ready by January. part of the area we were going to use for the "smaller" course is a designated wildflower area. So now the plan is to set up 27 permanent holes and have 9 temp holes for tournies. Some of the holes we will be using the 7th will be in the permanent layout but not all of them.

my_hero
Jul 21 2004, 05:02 PM
I'd like to name some of the perm. holes. Kind of like traditional golf courses name their holes. I'd like to have the honors of naming a nice, tight hole.(wooded, you perverts!) :D

okcacehole
Jul 21 2004, 05:05 PM
Ahh..how they loved your wildflower holes at the VET...going to have to bring Terrilll down for this - HA

space76
Jul 21 2004, 05:42 PM
Like Dolese in OKC. "Big Woody" is my favorite and I could live without the "Monster". Pretty cool idea.

jasonc
Jul 24 2004, 11:50 PM
Had a little work day at the course today to get it ready for play on the 7th. Thanks to Kendall and Juli Steele, Trish and Lee Dunston, and John Baumhauher for all of their help. The city has mowed most of the areas that they hadn't gotten to yet and they are supposed to mow 2 more times before the tourney, so the course should be in great shape..............BTW I was told today that Brian & I were evil litlle [*****] for some of the holes.......That made my day :D:D

bslamoreaux
Jul 27 2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks to all that helped on the unofficial work day (Sorry I missed it but my Grandmother passed away and I had to go deal with that in New Hampshire :(). I walked the course yesterday and it looks great. Actually, I took a couple of discs with me and played object golf. It is going to be a tough one.

Still a little mowing to be done but how about those back trails. Everyone ready for some 8 foot wide fairways? It will only be a few holes but it could change your game.

Jason and I will be out there at 4:30 today if anyone wants to stop by.

Brian

my_hero
Jul 27 2004, 12:07 PM
bsLamoreaux,

Sorry to hear of your loss. That is something that is never enjoyable to deal with.

I'm very excited for the event on 8/7/04. I have some GREAT names for some of those "tight" holes :o

OBTW, What does the "BS" stand for in you name? Uh-huh! Sure.

bambam
Jul 27 2004, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Brian. It sure is rough, losing a loved one. :(

Do you plan on being at Lorch Park any this coming weekend? If so, give me a call and I'll meet you out there.

bslamoreaux
Jul 29 2004, 02:41 PM
Looks like we will be out there for a while on Saturday. We plan on doing a little more clearing and finalizing the layout for the August 7th tournament.

No promises on the times that we are there. Call if you come by.

Brian

Big E
Jul 29 2004, 04:59 PM
do u need any tools for working on saturday or do u just need some manual labor

jasonc
Jul 29 2004, 05:17 PM
A little bit of both. We have a few areas that some branches still need to be trimmed up and some places where we need people with weed eaters to knock down the undergrowth. So far I have the only weedeater so that will probably be the main thing needed. Let us know if you're gonna make it out to priview the course and we can give you all the info you need.

Jason

Jul 29 2004, 07:49 PM
I can bring my chainsaw and I believe you still have my poll saw... When are you guys going out on Saturday??? I would like to play a little golf in the morning then come out and help...

bcoxxx
Jul 30 2004, 01:32 AM
did the flooding affect the course area? i saw on the news today that cedar hill got over 12" of rain in 24hr. that can't be good...

Big E
Jul 30 2004, 09:42 AM
Jason;
I plan on meeting u out there for a preview of the course and to help out with some of the work. Just woundering what time and anything u need me to bring.
Eric

jasonc
Jul 30 2004, 09:56 AM
We'll be out there around 10:00 Saturday morning. Bring you some work gloves, shears, and a weedeater if you have one. See you there.

Brian checked the course last night and he said the rain didn't do too much to it, except make the pond a little fuller :D

bslamoreaux
Jul 30 2004, 10:18 AM
The pond did over flow the spill way again. However, this time it did not back up. You can see where the water ran and there are some large trees that fell, and then floated to the banks.

All in all, I am very happy with the way it held up. The "permanant" canopies in my back yard, however, are a different story.

Brian

bslamoreaux
Aug 02 2004, 09:24 AM
Great work day on Saturday....

Thanks to Jason and Ginetta, Brian Mace and Eric for the help.

It is looking great out there.

See everyone this Saturday.

Brian

Aug 02 2004, 09:28 AM
Can't wait to play it Brian, thanks for all the hard work...

willyc
Aug 02 2004, 10:16 AM
OK, since it is almost time to play, I need directions on how to get there. Please remember that I'm old so I need very specific directions. Hope that we will have a GM field this weekend. Thanks Brian!

bslamoreaux
Aug 02 2004, 10:56 AM
Willy, here are the directions again.....

Directions:

If you get to some very nice looking houses, you've gone to far.

Brian

Big E
Aug 02 2004, 11:27 AM
Ya the course looks awsome. I might spend a little time in the trees/water. But its going to be a blast! Until then hope to practice a LOT on my new basket.

willyc
Aug 02 2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Brian. :) What time is the player's meeting and can I signup on Saturday morning? What is the fee for GM's?

jasonc
Aug 02 2004, 03:25 PM
9:30 for the player's meeting and the fee for all divisions is $20. Saturday morning is fine, we should get there around 7:00 to start setting up. See you Saturday Willy.

willyc
Aug 02 2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks Jason. See you Wed.

bcoxxx
Aug 02 2004, 10:56 PM
can one of you guys give a rough overview on what types of holes to expect? detailed, if possible...i read about the tight tunnel shots, but i'm wondering if there will be any long (400'+) and/or wide open holes, or if everything will be technical...just trying to figure out what discs to bring...any details about potential water hazards, and what types of holes those will be?

are the tee and basket locations still marked? i thought i read that they were visible, but i thought they might have washed away in the flooding last week.

i'm about 90% sure i'll be there, even though i live about 60 or so miles away :)

dannyreeves
Aug 02 2004, 11:35 PM
here is more confusion:

some long and open
some short and tight
lots long and tight

......and a "over the pond" shot!

jasonc
Aug 03 2004, 12:21 AM
Kid pretty much wrapped it up........holes 1 through 3 are semi-long, low ceiling with plenty of large trees. Hole 4 plays OVER a 5 acre pond, with any throw under 260 probably being wet. Hole 5 is LLLLLLLOOOOOOONNNNGGGGG with about a 25' well defined fairway(as in if you're not in the fairway you are screwed). Hole 6 see Hole5, except shorter, 7 DINKER, 8 see #6 only longer, 9 see 1 through 3 and add a huge annie shot :D. Hole 10 gives you a much deserved break before going into the "fun" holes(Ahhhh yes, nothing better than an 8' fairway with some elevation changes just for the pure joy of it ;)). #11, #12 and #13 will speak for themselves as the scores are tallied. They are all short and definately possible birdies, but I also wouldn't be shocked by seeing a 7 on any of those holes. #14, #15, and #16 are kind of open, 2 are short and one of them is over 400'. #17 is 500++ with a low ceiling about 40' in front of you, but open after that. #18 see #1 through #3. My prediction is a good Open score being 56 due to the fact that noone is fimiliar with the course and the rough is VERY rough since it hasn't been played before. There are lots of birdies out there, some of them relatively easy and others that you HAVE to hit your line. I can't wait to see how it plays :D

okcacehole
Aug 03 2004, 12:45 AM
So be prepared to lose some plastic :confused:

You might have talked me back into it with that scenario...IS THERE SHADE..you know I am getting closer to that OMB now and need my trees :o

bcoxxx
Aug 03 2004, 03:02 AM
no doubt about the lost plastic comment....just reading that description i think i'll bring alot of backups.

thanks for the thoughtful comments...i can't wait to play this thing.

bslamoreaux
Aug 03 2004, 09:27 AM
You might have talked me back into it with that scenario...IS THERE SHADE..you know I am getting closer to that OMB now and need my trees :o

[/QUOTE]

Lots of shade to protect the "sensitive" players. And we will have lots of water on the course.

Just confirmed with the city that they are providing a Port-a-potty as well.

I only wish I could play. :(

Brian

okcacehole
Aug 03 2004, 10:30 AM
of course now they have it as raining and 86, when yesterday it was supposed to be 100....love TX weather

bambam
Aug 03 2004, 03:21 PM
Don't worry, Adam... it'll change at least 4-5 more times before Saturday. :p

jasonc
Aug 04 2004, 12:09 AM
Bryan James please let us know if we can still use those baskets...............if not here is what we have, some guaranteed and some I still have to beg for :(

Chamberlain's 2
Clayton 2
Nolan 2
Pepper 1
McGough 1
Toolen 1
Josh Dann 1
Shawn Wasden 1
That list is pretty solid......now it is time to beg a little. I don't have a way to get all of the baskets to and from the course this time(GAS in the box truck got to be pretty expensive and we are trying to keep costs down to raise $$$$ for the course), so I need them brought out and taken back. I can make accomadations for a few of the people I am asking(some of them are lucky enough to go to worlds ;))

Danny Reeves 1?
Willie 1?
Claydog and My-Hero 2?
Adam Murphy 1?
The Q's(I'll ask tomorrow)2?

As you can see that gives exactly 18 buckets if EVERYONE comes through. I cannot tell you how much Brian and I appreciate all of the help we have had so far and how thankful we are to the people that are willing to go through the pain of dragging their baskets out to the course. We will have the City out on Saturday morning and I really want to show them how supportive Discgolfers are :D Most of the people on the begging list I will see tomorrow and can ask in person. The others are on the Board pretty often so please let me know if we can use your basket or not.

Don't make me put a Skillshot on the course....PLEASE

Jason

my_hero
Aug 04 2004, 10:35 AM
My basket, and Claydog's basket can be used. Problem is Claydog and his truck are going to Iowa, so i have no way of getting them out to Cedar Hill. I'm sure i can get Claydog to take them from Xerox to my house, but i'll need someone to pick them up from there.

PS...............NO SKILL-SHOTS.....although, i have one of those also in case it's needed :D